Author Topic: The best Pro that never was  (Read 20535 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: The best Pro that never was
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 09:08:23 PM »
every aau or nabba guy ,mr america class winner's bob gruskin had had tremendous leg's and great conditioning.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »
i have no idea why jeff and matt never made it. :-\

maybe someone could shed light on this mystery. i heard matt had some issues with booz, but the guy still showed up with a hell of a physique.

jeff had platz like legs (well, maybe not quite) but with an upper body to match.

Matt did have an issue with the bottle . . . how big? Well he was boinking and then lost Rachel Mclish over it.

The Beef

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
Actually Figo, more short guys did well than you are giving credit for. You listed only 4 guys. WAY more than that have done well. Mohammed Makawy comes to mind, as well as Lee Priest (both under 5'4"). How you could forget him is criminal ;).

Tim Belknap should have done better. He was 5'4" and 245 pounds. The judges weren't ready for that kind of size in the early 80's.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »
Two people come to mind ...

1. Jeff King

2. Matt Mendenhall

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 08:14:50 AM »
And what the hell ever became of Mike Francois (sp?).  It's like these guys just drop off the face of the earth some times.

PS--Great to see Gary Strydom lookin' HUGE at age 46!  (give's us older folks some hope ;D)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 07:25:34 PM »
And what the hell ever became of Mike Francois (sp?).  It's like these guys just drop off the face of the earth some times.

PS--Great to see Gary Strydom lookin' HUGE at age 46!  (give's us older folks some hope ;D)

Francois has a show that he puts on every year ( I believe it's called the Mike Francois Classic ) in Ohio ... btw, Francois WAS a Pro.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
mike was struck down by some type of bowell injury if i recall correctly. he then retired from pro bbing.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:22 AM »
Actually Figo, more short guys did well than you are giving credit for. You listed only 4 guys. WAY more than that have done well. Mohammed Makawy comes to mind, as well as Lee Priest (both under 5'4"). How you could forget him is criminal ;).

Tim Belknap should have done better. He was 5'4" and 245 pounds. The judges weren't ready for that kind of size in the early 80's.

Belknap was a beast, but narrow clavicles, long torso doomed his chances. 

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 06:29:27 AM »

Makkawy, yes!

Priest, not even worth going there, the guy has been robbed of so much...

Slintowin

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • I saw you just the other day my how you have grow
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »
Dave Palumbo

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 11:27:02 AM »
man, so many good names I can come up with that should have been...Mendenhall always comes to mind, he really did look amazing at times but he just came in at the wrong time, think of who he lost to:  Haney, Christian, Paris, Demay, Strydom...just dumb luck.  I've heard some stories about why Jeff King didn't go pro, it had more to do with politics than anything else.  Rory looked amazing to me and from the pics I've seen he could have been a great pro.  Edgar is probably the one I'd pick, he got screwed twice when he lost to Jerry Rogers in 90-I think and the worst screw job in any show I had seen up to that point when he lost the nationals to Chris duffy and Beau Matlock in 92ish, man Edgar was unreal at that show and NO WAY did he deserve to loose, he had everything and was probably the 2nd best guy onstage that day, best was John Sherman.  I just can't see how anyone could justify not giving him first at that show:
nasser=piece of shit

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »
Jeff Williams was a massive guy back around 84 or so...

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »
man, so many good names I can come up with that should have been...Mendenhall always comes to mind, he really did look amazing at times but he just came in at the wrong time, think of who he lost to:  Haney, Christian, Paris, Demay, Strydom...just dumb luck.  I've heard some stories about why Jeff King didn't go pro, it had more to do with politics than anything else.  Rory looked amazing to me and from the pics I've seen he could have been a great pro.  Edgar is probably the one I'd pick, he got screwed twice when he lost to Jerry Rogers in 90-I think and the worst screw job in any show I had seen up to that point when he lost the nationals to Chris duffy and Beau Matlock in 92ish, man Edgar was unreal at that show and NO WAY did he deserve to loose, he had everything and was probably the 2nd best guy onstage that day, best was John Sherman.  I just can't see how anyone could justify not giving him first at that show:

edgar looks awesome in that pic, but he did miss time his peak in a few shows.

duffy got extra points for special favours.

beau and rogers have both been scewed way more times than edgar.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 04:27:54 AM »
Jeff Williams was a massive guy back around 84 or so...

I still have a Zaks fitness shirt that says life is too short to be small.  Too wide hips, waist, arms didn't match his wheels or torso. 

This shirt became a cult classic after the massive steroid sting that occured at Zaks. 

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
Jeff Williams rings a bell... Any pics?

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »
Jeff King was amazing. Too bad Weider didn't want to give him a pro card.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 06:36:38 AM »
Jeff King was amazing. Too bad Weider didn't want to give him a pro card.

king had an amazing physique, particularly the legs.

i liked the fact that he put the effort into building up his massive neck, but why? for a bber it just retracts from your shoulder width and makes your limbs look smaller.

good to see though because the neck is such an important area to strengthen and just exudes power. for a fighter it's a great asset to have a strong thick neck.

king was absolutely awesome in my book and it's a real pity he was shunned like he was. what a fucking waste of real talent. same goes for nubret, oliva, callender, fox and many others that really were the real attractions for bbing. fuck weider. maybe he treated bbers with such arrogant contempt bbers because he was such a failure at the sport.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
king had an amazing physique, particularly the legs.

i liked the fact that he put the effort into building up his massive neck, but why? for a bber it just retracts from your shoulder width and makes your limbs look smaller.

good to see though because the neck is such an important area to strengthen and just exudes power. for a fighter it's a great asset to have a strong thick neck.

king was absolutely awesome in my book and it's a real pity he was shunned like he was. what a fucking waste of real talent. same goes for nubret, oliva, callender, fox and many others that really were the real attractions for bbing. fuck weider. maybe he treated bbers with such arrogant contempt bbers because he was such a failure at the sport.

Damn right. I know its been negated that Weider was racist, but all these men are of color, no?
Or is it a coincidence, and just because they were outspoken...and happened to be black?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
Damn right. I know its been negated that Weider was racist, but all these men are of color, no?
Or is it a coincidence, and just because they were outspoken...and happened to be black?

true, weider was a control freak and he wanted (still wants) the black bbers to behave like slaves at a fucking auction. look at the tricks shawn has always does for him? shawn has behaved like nothing more than a house guy.

mind you, he's got his white 'boys' to, like chick.

arnold played him at his own game though and ended up using that old fag up and spitting him out. ha ha

suckmymuscle

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »
  Dennis Newman, Edgar Fletcher and Francis Banfatto. As for pros who went very far but still fell short from their potential, we have Flex Wheeler and Chris Cormier.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »
Benfatto was a pro. 12th 89 mr o, 6th 90 mr o.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:27 AM »
Benfatto was a pro. 12th 89 mr o, 6th 90 mr o.

Do you understand the concept of underachieving? My point is that Benffato should have won the 1990 Mr.Olympia, but didn't. Likewise, Wheeler should have won the 1998 Olympia, but didn't. No matter how far you go, if you could have gone further, than you underachieved.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 05:54:31 AM »
  Do you understand the concept of underachieving? My point is that Benffato should have won the 1990 Mr.Olympia, but didn't. Likewise, Wheeler should have won the 1998 Olympia, but didn't. No matter how far you go, if you could have gone further, than you underachieved.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

do you mean that benfatto, etc 'should have won' as in, they got ripped off or that they didn't actualise their potential due to lack of discipline/whatever?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »
It's very debatable that Cormier had so much more potential, this theory's trotted out every so often. There were other guys better IMO who were denied for various reasons, including Dillet, Padilla & Robinson.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:09 AM »
It's very debatable that Cormier had so much more potential, this theory's trotted out every so often. There were other guys better IMO who were denied for various reasons, including Dillet, Padilla & Robinson.

dillet didn't have a back. deal with it and move on.

when padilla's stars collided and he got everything right he was denied.

robinson was snubbed by weider his whole career.