Author Topic: Who was the best athlete, considering all sports, of the 20th century?  (Read 29153 times)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: Who was the best athlete, considering all sports, of the 20th century?
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
  Most people here mentioned athletes in sports that only interest Americans. No one cares about...  baseball outside the U.S

Japan? Korea? Taiwan? Pretty much every Carribean nation? Much of Latin America?

Might wanna rethink that one.
Ron: "I am lazy."

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2007, 08:24:22 AM »
john holmes

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. And I've already nominated Spitz previously for this very reason.

However, hardly anyone talks about Spitz any more. And even in his prime, his fame didn't extend all the way into the world's slums the way Pele's did.

But Maradona was not only a technically greater player, and in an era of tougher competition, he's already been chosen over Pele in a global FIFA poll as player of the century. In his native Argentina, he's literally a legend - like the Lone Ranger, or John Henry the Steel-Driving Man.

So there you go. The greatest athlete of the 20th century was that crazy fat fuck Diego Maradona.

For those of you who have no idea who the hell we're talking about, here's the man in his "Willie Mays making the over-the-shoulder catch at the centerfield fence" moment - the Goal of the Century against England in the 1986 World Cup. [the good stuff starts at 0:28]

&mode=related&search=

I anticipate UKGold's response.  ;D
I agree ,even american people don't know who  Maradona is , in my opinion he is top 5 of the greatest athletes of all time,with Michael Jordan and ALI...etc

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »
Takeru "The Tsunami" Kobayashi
E

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »

Japan? Korea? Taiwan? Pretty much every Carribean nation? Much of Latin America?

much of latin america? only one country  ,Venezuela ,nobody else care about baseball in South America,since when the Caribbean nations are so important in world sports ???

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2007, 08:41:14 AM »
Takeru "The Tsunami" Kobayashi

shawn ray would love him dressed up as a girl.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »

Not really. Let's see. In Korea, football or "soccer" drives hundreds of thousands of people to the stadium and the 2002 World Cup there mobilized the entire nation. Only a miniscule percetage watch baseball in comparison. In Japan, it is slightly more popular, but it still pales in compariso to "soccer". These countries were occupied by the U.S in World War II and the Korea War, so American sports became more popular there. Regardless, it goesd to show something that even in these countries football is far more popular.

Carribean nations? Latin America? Well, the Carribeans are included in Latin America, so there was no need for you to mention it twice. Regardless, you're mistaken. Baseball is most definitely not popular in Latin America. I lived in Latin America or three years, and all they care about is: football first, and Formula 1 second. Period. Everything else is secondary. They actually go to war over football, you know that?

Because Americans are so isolated from the rest of the World, they have no idea that everything they hold dear is actually very, very small in global terms. Let's compare the two footballs, shall we? The last Superbowl was watched by 200 million people and envolved 5 billion Dollars in contracts, endorsements and the like. The last World Cup was watched five billion people, and envolved 120 billion Dollars in endorsement deals and contracts. In other words, twenty five times more people watched the World Cup than the Super Bowl, and there was 24 times more money envolved. It is extremely unlikely that football will ever become popular in America, in the same way that it is extremely unlikely that American sports will thrive elsewhere.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »
I agree ,even american people don't know who  Maradona is , in my opinion he is top 5 of the greatest athletes of all time,with Michael Jordan and ALI...etc

Nope; none of those guys were great outside of one sport.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2007, 08:53:27 AM »
 Not really. Let's see. In Korea, football or "soccer" drives hundreds of thousands of people to the stadium and the 2002 World Cup there mobilized the entire nation. Only a miniscule percetage watch baseball in comparison. In Japan, it is slightly more popular, but it still pales in compariso to "soccer". These countries were occupied by the U.S in World War II and the Korea War, so American sports became more popular there. Regardless, it goesd to show something that even in these countries football is far more popular.

Carribean nations? Latin America? Well, the Carribeans are included in Latin America, so there was no need for you to mention it twice. Regardless, you're mistaken. Baseball is most definitely not popular in Latin America. I lived in Latin America or three years, and all they care about is: football first, and Formula 1 second. Period. Everything else is secondary. They actually go to war over football, you know that?

Because Americans are so isolated from the rest of the World, they have no idea that everything they hold dear is actually very, very small in global terms. Let's compare the two footballs, shall we? The last Superbowl was watched by 200 million people and envolved 5 billion Dollars in contracts, endorsements and the like. The last World Cup was watched five billion people, and envolved 120 billion Dollars in endorsement deals and contracts. In other words, twenty five times more people watched the World Cup than the Super Bowl, and there was 24 times more money envolved. It is extremely unlikely that football will ever become popular in America, in the same way that it is extremely unlikely that American sports will thrive elsewhere.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Thanks for stating the obvious in long-winded fashion once again. *yawn*

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »

mohamed ali:

He has been named Sports Illustrated's "Athlete of the Century," the BBC's "Sports Personality of the Century," the World Sports Award's "World Sportsman of the Century," and the State of Kentucky's "Kentuckian of the Century." In 2005, he received the United States of America's highest civil award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The accolates are irrelevant re: overall athleticism; like most greats in a single sport, never showed any ability beyond that one skill.

Oldfield's a good choice; maybe not the very best but he was a freak.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2007, 08:56:06 AM »
A toss up between Michael Jordan and Michael Schumacher. I remember Schumacher in his prime was untouchable, tremendous amount of skill, he dominated season after season. It got to the point where the F1 had to change the rules because he was destroying the competition and was getting boring.

Even when Schumacher started from the back of the grid the cameras would be on the ferrari regardless, like jordan people came to watch schumacher.

Only one sport. Jordan's not even necessarily the best basketball player of all time, and proved that he couldn't cut it outside of basketball.

Michael Schumacher a race car driver as best athlete? Let's include the best bowlers of all time then too. bwahahahahaahahahahaahah ahah

suckmymuscle

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2007, 08:59:17 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. And I've already nominated Spitz previously for this very reason.

However, hardly anyone talks about Spitz any more. And even in his prime, his fame didn't extend all the way into the world's slums the way Pele's did.

But Maradona was not only a technically greater player, and in an era of tougher competition, he's already been chosen over Pele in a global FIFA poll as player of the century. In his native Argentina, he's literally a legend - like the Lone Ranger, or John Henry the Steel-Driving Man.

So there you go. The greatest athlete of the 20th century was that crazy fat fuck Diego Maradona.

For those of you who have no idea who the hell we're talking about, here's the man in his "Willie Mays making the over-the-shoulder catch at the centerfield fence" moment - the Goal of the Century against England in the 1986 World Cup. [the good stuff starts at 0:28]

&mode=related&search=

I anticipate UKGold's response.  ;D

I disagree here. I don't think Maradona was greater or even as great as Pele. He was undoubtedly a great player, no doubt, but Pele almost single-handedly gave Brazil three World Cups. In the 1970 World Cup, Pele made the winning goals of three games all by himself, including the final match. He would make goals from mid field, with his head, doing a bicycle, with the tip of his feet, with his chest, etc. The guy was a phenom. I personally don't like him, because he's arrogant. However, I think even Maradona would agree that Pele was greater than him.

Now, as for his popularity in Argentina, no doubt. The guy's a living god there. That goal was very significant, as the Argentineans saw their victory as a revenge against their defeat at the Malvines War four years before; Maradona acquired status of almost a war hero. Pele vs Maradona? I give it to the former, although I'm sure the Argentineans will beg to differ. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »
Thanks for stating the obvious in long-winded fashion once again. *yawn*

Pumpster, the greatest Bowflex athlete ever! :P

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »

The thing is that Americans are only 4% of the World's population, so it's really not relevant overral that they don't know who he is. The other 96%, I assure you, are aware of who Maradona is.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »
  Pumpster, the greatest Bowflex athlete ever! :P

SUCKMYMUSCLE

At least SUCKMYDICK's not predictable...LOL

It's always the blockheads who are the last to realize that no one else finds them funny-they're being laughed at, not with. hahahahahaahah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
  The thing is that Americans are only 4% of the World's population, so it's really not relevant overral that they don't know who he is. The other 96%, I assure you, are aware of who Maradona is.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

It's always the dummies who waste multiple posts trying to explain obvious information they don't realize everyone already knows. LOL

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
At least SUCKMYDICK's not predictable...LOL

It's always the blockheads who are the last to realize that no one else finds them funny-they're being laughed at, not with. hahahahahaahah
Meltdown.

Arn't you sick of being regulary humiliated? Lol, it must really suck to be a bitter old man that tries to gain 'respect' by posting on a messageboard.

Hows the bowflex?

[hey, its uk gold! He likes fingers and dildos up his butt - YAWN ;)]

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »

This has to be the most ironic statement I have ever seen.

Christ

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2007, 10:41:57 AM »
  I disagree here. I don't think Maradona was greater or even as great as Pele. He was undoubtedly a great player, no doubt, but Pele almost single-handedly gave Brazil three World Cups. In the 1970 World Cup, Pele made the winning goals of three games all by himself, including the final match. He would make goals from mid field, with his head, doing a bicycle, with the tip of his feet, with his chest, etc. The guy was a phenom. I personally don't like him, because he's arrogant. However, I think even Maradona would agree that Pele was greater than him.

Now, as for his popularity in Argentina, no doubt. The guy's a living god there. That goal was very significant, as the Argentineans saw their victory as a revenge against their defeat at the Malvines War four years before; Maradona acquired status of almost a war hero. Pele vs Maradona? I give it to the former, although I'm sure the Argentineans will beg to differ. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

George Best was better than both  :P

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2007, 10:42:36 AM »
of course he was your "friend" ::)

hahahaha  You know whats funny is how stupid you continue to be even though everyone has owned you on this board.  Plus the numerous time you have owned yourself.  Look it up then come back on here and apoligize.  And where is that video you said you were doing a couple weeks ago.  Monster ownage

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »
hahahaha  You know whats funny is how stupid you continue to be even though everyone has owned you on this board.  Plus the numerous time you have owned yourself.  Look it up then come back on here and apoligize.  And where is that video you said you were doing a couple weeks ago.  Monster ownage
Just ignore him. He's obviosly jealous.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
Roger Federer has nothing to do with the last century Hedge...do some math...;)

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
Dan Gable. Ali. Jordan.

Wow, my thoughts exactly. These three can`t be compared to each other but stand out above any others.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
Jesse Owens

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
It's funny to me as an american that most of the best athletes of all time hail from the US by most of your opinions.  There must be lots of foreign athletes who were equal or better than our athletes that we have never even heard of.  And the topic is all sports so rowing does count