Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 20, 2014, 11:32:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BP help  (Read 931 times)
airosol
Getbig IV

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »

Im having trouble timing the eccentric half of my press. I think Im going too slow, so (on ME days) by the time its on my chest Im a little shaky. Obviously too fast and I got bigger problem. Any advice on how long I should be taknig to lower the bar? or is it just a feel thing.

thanks guys......and rip!

Oh, I lift raw
Report to moderator   Logged

grapefruit holder
benchmstr
Getbig V

Heraclitus was right

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »

Im having trouble timing the eccentric half of my press. I think Im going too slow, so (on ME days) by the time its on my chest Im a little shaky. Obviously too fast and I got bigger problem. Any advice on how long I should be taknig to lower the bar? or is it just a feel thing.

thanks guys......and rip!

Oh, I lift raw
sounds like your arent tight enough throughout the movement...

bench
dj181
Getbig V

stimulate-recover-grow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:17 AM »

Do you practice pausing the weight on the chest? If yes, how long do you pause it for? 1 second, 2 seconds?
airosol
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

Do you practice pausing the weight on the chest? If yes, how long do you pause it for? 1 second, 2 seconds?

yes. i pause for appx 1 second

grapefruit holder
dj181
Getbig V

stimulate-recover-grow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »

Well, maybe you could try "extended pauses" for up to 5 seconds to completely eliminate momentum. Plus, it should help you to better control the eccentric contraction, because you won't be tempted to bring the weight down so quickly to do a touch and go, at least I would think so in this case. Also, if you do decide to give the extended pauses a try, be sure at stay real tight during the pause and don't let the muscles relaw while the bar is on your chest.
burn2live
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »

Hmm, it is sort of just a feel thing. At least it's something you're considering as opposed to some people who dump the bar on their chest before trying to press it again!

For me, upper back work really improved my stability on the bench. It actually made drastic improvements. Always think about pinching (not shrugging) your shoulder blades together throughout the whole movement. Engage your legs also, this really steadys things up. I notice that when people struggle with a bench its usually their legs or more often their upper back that slackens out and makes the lift even more difficult
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!