Author Topic: Takeo Spikes from Buffalo to be traded  (Read 8910 times)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: Takeo Spikes from Buffalo to be traded
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 12:32:33 AM »
"constantly injured" was an overstatment.  He's not a donte stallworth who plays 50% of his games. He's only recently been hit by the injury bug.  Although at his age I  don't think it will get any better.  He's also a warrior on the field.  This year was defintely an off year, because of the seriousness of the injury.  I think he'll regain 90% of his former self this year.  Which is still enough to be a great linebacker. 

Last two years he played 15 games, and some of last year, he hadn't fully recovered from 05.  Even when fully healthy in 04, he had thirty less tackles than 03, and was three years away from his best stats (when with the Bungholes in 2000).  He is ten years into his career, is going to turn 31 in December, came off a really bad injury in 05 that he never fully recovered from.  He is a MONSTER who is strong at the point of attack, isn't the greatest in covering small running backs, or athletic tight ends.  I don't think he will replicate his 04 year, and I don't see him being the force he once was.  If he does recover to 90%, he will be one of the better linebackers, but not a GREAT linebacker. 

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:28 AM »
Would you consider Deion Branch a health issue? He has been out due to nagging injury more then Stallworth in the same amount of career games. Stallworth has better career stats then Branch.Seattle felt Branch was realiable enough to spend a first round pick for him, and pay him 6 million a year. Stallworth averaged 19.1 yards a catch in 06. He had 70 receptions last year, 60 the year before that. It should also be noted his starting qb was lost to injury for most the entire year this year. Hamstring or not he has only missed 4 out of the last 44 games playing in all 16 games in 2004 and 2005. 68 career games with 12 missed is a low number. No one is ever 100 percent during the season. Look around the leauge at wr's. Hamstrings are a common issue, as with other nagging things. As long as you are playing that is all that matters. Before 2006 Stallworth had only missed 8 games out of 52. It should also be noted a lot of wr's hammy's "act up" up sometimes when there situation is not ideal.
Stallworth has never even had 1000 yards recieving for a year.  Guy was the 13th overall pick.  This injury has been with him forever and its holding him back.  He's also on his 3rd team in 6 years.  Good luck.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 06:19:10 AM »
Last two years he played 15 games, and some of last year, he hadn't fully recovered from 05.  Even when fully healthy in 04, he had thirty less tackles than 03, and was three years away from his best stats (when with the Bungholes in 2000).  He is ten years into his career, is going to turn 31 in December, came off a really bad injury in 05 that he never fully recovered from.  He is a MONSTER who is strong at the point of attack, isn't the greatest in covering small running backs, or athletic tight ends.  I don't think he will replicate his 04 year, and I don't see him being the force he once was.  If he does recover to 90%, he will be one of the better linebackers, but not a GREAT linebacker. 
I agree, he's defintely seen his best days go by.  When you get into the stats though you can skew things.  in 03 he was only 2 tackles off his best year and in 04 he had 5 picks, 2 for td's and 3 times the passes defended than he did in 2000. 

body88

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
Stallworth has never even had 1000 yards recieving for a year.  Guy was the 13th overall pick.  This injury has been with him forever and its holding him back.  He's also on his 3rd team in 6 years.  Good luck.

The patriots picked up Stallworth in a one year deal for cheap money. They have the ability to extend him if they like what he does in 07 or let him walk at no loss. Stallworth turned down more money from the titans/dolphins because he really wanted to play in NE with Brady. How exactly is there risk in a one year deal? The deal is not expensive. It is beyond reasonablefor the level of talent you are getting. Stallworths contract is performance based. He has to prove himself to make his money. The pats did not pay a lot of money for him, and if he performs to there expectations, they can extend him at over a million less per year then what Branch is making. If they do not like how he plays they cut him in 08 at no loss. This pickup can only help them. They went to the afc championship game with Jabar gaffney, Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell. Stallworth turned down more guaranteed money from the titans and dolphins to play in NE. I would think that is a sign of maturity, and shows some desire to prove himeself. You are correct he has not had a 1000 yard season. His best was 950 yards. He has not  played with Tom Brady either. A guy who had two scrap heap team rookies putting up numbers dwarfing the likes of Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison in the postseason. Pretty amazing considering they where rookies to the team who missed the preseason. Are you saying Deion Branch is not a good receiver? He has never had a 1000 yard season, and was was worth a first round draft choice and 6 million bucks a year from Seattle. A first round draft choice is a serious investment.

Donte Stallworth is better then Deion Branch. He is bigger, faster , has more natural talent and a legit deep threat. His avg is better and he has more then twice the td's Branch does.Stallworth has also been out due to injury less in the same amount of games as Branch, making him incredably more durable. The Stallworth deal was tremendous pickup for a team who needs a deep threat wr. They are paying him cheap money, and have the ability to walk away at no loss after one year. If they decide to extend him for the five years they are still going to get him for a great price. As you know, the patriots offered Deion the same contract Seattle did. The only catch was Deion had to play out the final year of his current contract. He was holding out and demanding his current contract be ripped up. Ob the pats could not just tear up his current contract or else everyone on the team would hold out and force a new deal. So they let him walk for a first rounder. Stallworth was picked up for one year with a five year option if they choose to exercise it. If they decide to give him that five year option after this season they will have gotten Donte Stallworth, a better player at 2 million less per year then Deion, plus a first round draft choice they will be using in this current draft. Dieon also contributed to the pats having close to 30 million in cap space this year. Stallworth is on the record telling Drew Rosenhouse he is "not leaving NE without a deal, get it done" sounds like he wants to play to me. Couple that with the fact he is only gauranteed one year at veryyyy reasonable money under a performance based contract and I dont see what team wouldent jump to sign that deal. Others tried to give him more actually, he turned them down. They said good luck with Rodney Harrison and Corey Dillon also. They helped us win superbowls.

Belicheck and Pioli are a some of the best at evaluating what peices fit there puzzle. He will fit right in, some of the most respected vets on the pats have been with over 4 teams in there career. With ten draft choices including two first rounders a legit deep threat with a lot of talent is welcomed on a team who needs jus that. The price was right and the need immediate. If he does not work out, he will contruibute to a team who made it to the afc championship game without him. If he pans out like I think he will playing with Brady. It will have netted us a great player under a more then reasonable contract, plus whatever player/players we get with the 24th pick in this draft.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
I agree, he's defintely seen his best days go by.  When you get into the stats though you can skew things.  in 03 he was only 2 tackles off his best year and in 04 he had 5 picks, 2 for td's and 3 times the passes defended than he did in 2000. 

03 isn't 07.  Why would someone invest a lot of cap jack in a guy who prolly has seen his best years?  This was my only point.  Same reason I am glad the Stillers let Peezy go.  (Rod was STUPID for the Rowney's, cheap is one thing, letting Rod go is criminal.)

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 03:33:15 PM »
Adailius Thomas was a great picup for New England. should have been illegal.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

body88

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »

The pick up in itself was tremendous for us given the immediate help we need at linebacker. Adalius is a perfect fit for belichicks system, that is built for lb's like Adalius. Belichick also had the opportunity to scout Thomas all week at the pro bowl when he was coaching. Belichick commented on how impressed he was with his ability when he came back. Thomas is a high "charector guy" which makes his abilities all the sweeter, and should ensure he "meshes" well with the team. With 10 draft picks including two first rounders, NE will be able to draft a LB or DE to groom for the long term while Thomas makes an impact right away. The best part of this whole deal was that Thomas took over 5 million dollars LESS then he was offered from two other teams to play in NE. That was 5 million in guaranteed money, not fluff money that makes contracts look pretty. The globe has him making 18 mill in guaranteed money over the course of the deal. Porter just got 20 mill over five years in his deal with the phins. There are times the pats open there check book ( Colvin) and I was glad they did for a guy like Thomas. The fact that Belichick never plays rookies at the lb position in his 3/4 is what made this deal very good for us. We needed a vet guy to fill that piece of the puzzle while whoever they drafted has time to learn the system correctly. Over the last seven years the pats have spent all the way up to the cap with the exception of last year. They used last year to tender the remainder of there core players to long term deals. That was a big factor in giving the pats 29 million bucks in cap space this offseason. I believe the same figure is projected for net years offseason also. Currently they still have around 9 million bucks left in cap space. Word is Asanti is close to a long term deal so that number could go up if his franchise tag is removed. The 29 mill this year allowed the pats to get some guys they really wanted. With ten picks including two first rounders in the coming draft Pioli and Belichick are going to have a lot of flexability. Pioli was qouted as saying " You do not win any trophies in March for what you did in the offseason. Our main focus is the draft"  When he was asked about the pats offseason moves. A statement which solidifies there commitment over the years to the draft. Although they did have 17 free agents on the team in 2001 along with a strong draft. I hope they have a draft on par with the 2002 and 2003 drafts. With all the talent in the afc a strong draft is imperative.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2007, 07:09:06 PM »

This was a steal.