Author Topic: Is this the greatest catch of all time?  (Read 3430 times)

kh300

• Getbig V
Re: Is this the greatest catch of all time?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
the hardest ball to catch is a line drive directly at you. because you can't tell the  linear velocity(i think thats the term). when the ball is hit to your left or right, you can estimate its velocity, acceleration, and angle where it might land. a ball directly over your head is somewhere in the middle.. this is why in the majors you see guys drifting to the ball,, even though 95% of coaches teach you to get under the ball first -but that just makes it harder to catch.

you really cant say there is a greatest catch because theres so many variables. a routine flyball that gets lost in the lights is just has hard as an over the shoulder. i think the best catches are when you sacrifice your body. like guys slamming there heads into a wall.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
the hardest ball to catch is a line drive directly at you. because you can't tell the  linear velocity(i think thats the term). when the ball is hit to your left or right, you can estimate its velocity, acceleration, and angle where it might land. a ball directly over your head is somewhere in the middle.. this is why in the majors you see guys drifting to the ball,, even though 95% of coaches teach you to get under the ball first -but that just makes it harder to catch.

I agree.  I hate them, because you have to make split second decision on whether to charge, freeze, back peddle, turn and run.  I don't get burned often, but I still hate them. 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
I agree.  I hate them, because you have to make split second decision on whether to charge, freeze, back peddle, turn and run.  I don't get burned often, but I still hate them. 

like jim edmonds the other night. one of the greatest centerfielders ever, but had one hit directly at him and he looked like a clown, ended up catching it on his knees