Author Topic: Legitimate arguements aganst science...  (Read 7565 times)

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
Re: Legitimate arguements aganst science...
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
however, we cant "see" the edges of the universe, and background radiation hasnt shown us that the universe has an edge.

Technically in the classical sense we can't see the edges of the universe. There are no edges of the universe. However what background radiation does is shows us how the universe looked further back in time. Since light has a finite speed, the further we look into the universe, the further we are looking back in time.

as well, we are not sure if the universe is finite of infinite in size.

If the universe were infinite then it's age would also have to be infinite since it's expanding. The universe was at one time much much smaller and started to expand. If it's infinite then when did it stop expanding and become infinite? Since as I've explained, physical infinites can't expand. If it's age is infinite then why does the thermodynamics disagree about how much heat should exist within it?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »
Technically in the classical sense we can't see the edges of the universe. There are no edges of the universe. However what background radiation does is shows us how the universe looked further back in time. Since light has a finite speed, the further we look into the universe, the further we are looking back in time.

If the universe were infinite then it's age would also have to be infinite since it's expanding. The universe was at one time much much smaller and started to expand. If it's infinite then when did it stop expanding and become infinite? Since as I've explained, physical infinites can't expand. If it's age is infinite then why does the thermodynamics disagree about how much heat should exist within it?

hmm... still doesnt have anything to do with the arugment, the universe is finite in age as far as we know. the singularity could have existed forever, while still falling into the definition of the universe. why cant physical infinites expand? where could i see an example of this? also the universe by definition could be eternal at the same time. there is no such thing as a physical infinite as far as i know. mind is the most ready example but thats not physcial.

infinite refers to size not age. there are no edges to the universe, just like there are no edges or center of earth.

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
hmm... still doesnt have anything to do with the arugment, the universe is finite in age as far as we know. the singularity could have existed forever, while still falling into the definition of the universe. why cant physical infinites expand? where could i see an example of this? also the universe by definition could be eternal at the same time. there is no such thing as a physical infinite as far as i know. mind is the most ready example but thats not physcial.

infinite refers to size not age. there are no edges to the universe, just like there are no edges or center of earth.

There aren't any examples of "physical infinites" or "objective infinites" simply because as far as I know they can't exist. Why can't infinites that are physical expand? Simply because if something is infinite then what is it expanding to? Add 1 to infinity and you've still got infinity. Add 1 billion to infinity and you've still got infinity. How is there an increase?

The only reason you can increase infinity in mathematics is due to the way our math is formulated. For instance take the set {1,2,3,4,5,6,7....} and add the set {1.5,2.5,3.5,4.5,6.5,7.5...}. You have two sets where one set is technically different from the other set and when added together you can increase the number. But the problems with this is 1. In the first set there could easily be an infinity of numbers between 1 and 2 and 2. This won't work for physical entities simply because 1 physical entity plus 1 physical entity is 2 physical entities and there's no in between.

There are also quite a number of paradoxes associated with 'infinity' of physicals.