Author Topic: 6 High protein/Low carb days and 1 High carb day  (Read 1222 times)

The-Paul

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
6 High protein/Low carb days and 1 High carb day
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »
I have a small question, I recently read Vince Gironda's Ultimate physique book and he suggests doing 5 or 6 low carb days and then 1-2 high carb days to flush the glycogen back into your body.  My question is that when your doing a high carb day should it be low protein and low fat as well?  Thanks for your time.

--Paul--

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
Re: 6 High protein/Low carb days and 1 High carb day
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
on high carb days I'd keep the protein moderate and the fat low. Carbs are protein sparing so you don't need to worry about losing muscle, but even moderate fat intake on those days could promote fat storage during excessive/high carb intake.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »
on high carb days I'd keep the protein moderate and the fat low. Carbs are protein sparing so you don't need to worry about losing muscle, but even moderate fat intake on those days could promote fat storage during excessive/high carb intake.

Good advice with the caveat that you don't want to drop fat intake below 20% (at the risk of dropping testosterone levels).

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
I have a small question, I recently read Vince Gironda's Ultimate physique book and he suggests doing 5 or 6 low carb days and then 1-2 high carb days to flush the glycogen back into your body.  My question is that when your doing a high carb day should it be low protein and low fat as well?  Thanks for your time.

--Paul--

I used to do this back in college.  I would eat baked chicken, raw broccolli, asparagus, steak, tuna and nothing else during the week.

Then on Saturdays I would eat oatmeal, splenda and cinnimon and protein shakes all fucking day and train legs, then go out and down a dozen beers, eat a whole pizza and call it a "high carb" day.  Worked real well.  Seriously.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:21:19 PM »
The Metabolic Diet is similar to this type of plan, and Dr. diPasquale actually says to keep your fat intake "moderate" on the weekends and lower your protein more instead.

The basic reasoning is (and the basis for any low-carb diet) is that your body actually adapts to using fat as fuel.  And as long as you continue to feed it fat, it will continue to use it.  For 1-2 days, eating lots of carbs will be less likely to make your body switch back to a carb-burning metabolism, if you keep feeding it a moderate amount of fat.

By going low-fat and high carb at the same time, your body will have no choice but to make the metabolic switch back to a carb-burning metabolism.  This in turn will make your suffering during the week much less effective, because you'll have to spend a good deal of time just reversing back to the fat-burning metabolism, instead of burning fat all week.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
I started at 311 pounds, but I am 6'5" so I am no fat slouch.

For the last 8 weeks I have done 4 low to moderate carb days, 2 very little to none carb days and 1 high carb day ( per week)

My strength and endurance has been top gear and I am now down to 278 pounds.  I have eaten clean whole foods and drink lots of water.  I have yet to have a cheat meal but I haven't craved crap food either.

The-Paul

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 07:10:30 AM »
Thanks alot for all the advice guys, I'm already planning the menu for saturday: Oatmeal, Watermelon, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta with sausage!

--Paul--