Author Topic: Don Imus Apologizes for Racial Slurs -- And FIRED  (Read 4916 times)

Mr. Intenseone

Re: Don Imus Apologizes for Racial Slurs -- And FIRED
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
Yeah?   did Reagan put us in a similar mess?

Reagan wasn't that stupid.

Why do Libs keep thinking this a conventional war with actually wartime rules?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »

Why do neo-cons refuse to see error when it's as obvious as the 4 year mistake, 3000 dead, 30,000 wounded, 400 billion etc...?

Reagan wouldn't have done this.  Even when he lost his memory he wasn't thaT STUPID.

He'd have sent 300,000+ troops in there, end of story.

That idiot of yours approved 150k?   And has dragged this crap out.

Again,  The Iraq war will be seen as the biggest foreign policy mistake int eh history of the United States of America and G.W. will be ridiculed for generations.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »
Why do neo-cons refuse to see error when it's as obvious as the 4 year mistake, 3000 dead, 30,000 wounded, 400 billion etc...?

Reagan wouldn't have done this.  Even when he lost his memory he wasn't thaT STUPID.

He'd have sent 300,000+ troops in there, end of story.

That idiot of yours approved 150k?   And has dragged this crap out.

Again,  The Iraq war will be seen as the biggest foreign policy mistake int eh history of the United States of America and G.W. will be ridiculed for generations.

You didn't answer my question............besi des, your side voted for too!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
You didn't answer my question............besi des, your side voted for too!

Good then you can answer mine too.   ;D

I don't why libs think that....  or that they even do think that.

Perhaps you can show me where the majority of libs think that.  Or maybe this is just a opinion of yours, being that you are a conservative.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Good then you can answer mine too.   ;D

I don't why libs think that....  or that they even do think that.

Perhaps you can show me where the majority of libs think that.  Or maybe this is just a opinion of yours, being that you are a conservative.

Well, considering that we have never been in a war like this in the entire history of our country is a start, granted each war is different, but in every war we have been in they're have been rules of engagment...........ther e are no rules on their side (the terrorists) yet the left keeps on comparing this to other wars, don't they or you understand they have no problem taking this war to OUR soil?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »

Would you feel comfortable one day, standing at heaven's gates, explaining to God why you spent a lifetime teaching others that torture is acceptable?

IMO, that little newly invented classification might make you sleep better now - but deep down, a man is a man.  When he's in a jail cell, it doesn't matter if he's a crazy jap, ger, chi, rus, or a man from syria who moved to iraq to fight.  A man is a man.  When he cries and you continue to shock his genitals - remember "that which you do to the least of my people - that you do unto me"...

If you think torturing a man is acceptable, you think about Jesus on that table - would you do it then?  I take my religion seriously - and throughout history, leaders have frequently changed religion for secular law (like legalizing abortion!)  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »
Well, considering that we have never been in a war like this in the entire history of our country is a start, granted each war is different, but in every war we have been in they're have been rules of engagment...........ther e are no rules on their side (the terrorists) yet the left keeps on comparing this to other wars, don't they or you understand they have no problem taking this war to OUR soil?

The majority of the "left" does?   Is this another opinion or can you back it up with fact?

The war against terrorism was going just great until BUSH decided to invade Iraq with too few troops and s a result terrorism has increased.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 05:22:27 AM »
This heard this morning on a black radio station:

DJ:  Halleluiah brothers and sisters, the racist Don Imus is gone!  let freedom ring, let freedom ring!
We will be right back with more on this story but first this latest song by Big Daddy Fat King Oh Ma Ring , songs moving up the chart, so heres his latest 'MY SISTER WAS A HO SO I POPPED A CAP OFF UP HER NASTY NAPPY LOOKING TWAT'

be right back with more on the firing of that racist Don Imus!  Enjoy the song brothers and sisters!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 05:23:11 AM »
By the way, I hope a movement starts for all white people to not purchase anything advertised on MSNBC.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »
don't they or you understand they have no problem taking this war to OUR soil?

Who's going to supply them with RPGs here? 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »
By the way, I hope a movement starts for all white stupid people to not purchase anything advertised on MSNBC.

Fixed.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 09:18:08 AM »
Talk-Radio Host Don Imus Apologizes for On-Air Racial Slurs Against Rutgers Women's Basketball Team
Friday, April 06, 2007

NEW YORK —  Syndicated talk-radio personality Don Imus apologized Friday for calling members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" during a segment yesterday in his "Imus in the Morning" show.

Imus and his producer and on-air sidekick, Bernard McGuirk, went on to further attack the black members of the team, calling them "jigaboos and wannabees."

In his apology, Imus called his comments "insensitive and ill-conceived."

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended," he told listeners at the opening of his broadcast Friday morning.

He further called the comments "thoughtless and stupid" and said, "We're sorry."

The apology came after Imus initially brushed aside criticism, telling the New York Times "not worry about some idiot saying something meant to be amusing."

Rutgers officials issued a statement: "We agree with Mr. Imus that this was, in his own words, an 'idiot comment.' We are very proud of the success of the Rutgers women's basketball team. Coach Stringer and the Rutgers players are outstanding ambassadors for this great institution."

Shortly after Imus made his comments about the Rutgers team, MSNBC released the following statement: "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

The comments drew immediate outrage from the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), who had called for a boycott of his show until he issued a "sincere and unequivocal apology," referring to Imus as a "sophomoric host."

"Has he lost his mind?" asked NABJ President Bryan Monroe, vice president and editorial director for Ebony and Jet magazines in Chicago. "Those comments were beyond offensive. Imus needs to be fired. Today."

The veteran talk-jock's comments came during a discussion — that included WFAN show host Sid Rosenberg, McGuirk and show regular Charles McCord — about Rutgers' loss to Tennessee, 59-46, Tuesday night in the NCAA Women's Basketball Finals.

Imus: So, I watched the basketball game last night between — a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.

Rosenberg: Yeah, Tennessee won last night — seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

Imus: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and —

McGuirk: Some hard-core hos.

Imus: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some — woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like — kinda like — I don't know.

McGuirk: A Spike Lee thing.

Imus: Yeah.

McGuirk: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes — that movie that he had.

Imus: Yeah, it was a tough —

Charles McCord: Do The Right Thing.

McGuirk: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Imus: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?

Rosenberg: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

Rosenberg was twice fired from the Imus show, once for racist comments about Serena and Venus Williams, and again for remarks about singer singer Kylie Minogue, who was battling breast cancer.

"She won't look so pretty when she's bald with one [breast]," Rosenberg said on air.

Each time Imus rehired Rosenberg following on-air apologies.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264646,00.html

It's PC going overboard again.  He shouldn't have been fired.  Sure, he said something stupid, but that's what shock jocks do.   It's how they make their living.  I'd like to see if Al Sharpton is going to take this lil' show on the road and start going after the rap industry.  He might end up with a little bit of integrity if he did, but my guess is he's gonna continue playing the race card and simply ignore the double standard that the rap and black comedy industries have been privy too for so long. 

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »
Fixed.

Good, now go purchase you the latest rap record sonny boy.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »
The majority of the "left" does?   Is this another opinion or can you back it up with fact?

The war against terrorism was going just great until BUSH decided to invade Iraq with too few troops and s a result terrorism has increased.

I still don't understand why we are not 150K troops in Afghanistan... Where's Osama Bin Look-Out? This whole thing was such a smoke screen.

What would people have said during WWII if we were knocking on Hitler's front door, but didn't cover the back, then totally left Germany before someone had identified the dead body?

They would have raised HOLY FUCKING HELL.

That's why I'm so pissed... No one can tell me that this entire War on Terror hasn't been bungled when PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER 1 has NEVER been FOUND!

How does ANYONE sit back and support this administration when this gaping hole in the "War on Terror" exists?

Let's just skip all over the guy you SAY is responsible for 9/11 (Because it's not a Conspiracy) and go after a guy who had NOTHING to do with it.

Does any of this make sense?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »
It's PC going overboard again.  He shouldn't have been fired.  Sure, he said something stupid, but that's what shock jocks do.   It's how they make their living.  I'd like to see if Al Sharpton is going to take this lil' show on the road and start going after the rap industry.  He might end up with a little bit of integrity if he did, but my guess is he's gonna continue playing the race card and simply ignore the double standard that the rap and black comedy industries have been privy too for so long. 

Ya Colly, I was kind of surprised myself that he was fired. I didn't approve of his comment, and I thought it was completely out-of-line, ...but I understand where he went wrong. Disciplinary action was warranted and I thought his suspension was an adequate enough punishment, ...but it wasn't my decision to make.

I don't think he was fired for the remark. I think he was fired because he proved too much of a liability for the station. In that sense, it was his own doing. Maybe now that he's gone, we can stop talking about it.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »

From a PC stand point i agree with you.  From a Business stand point i think he should get canned IF it causes the stations to lose advertising revenue.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
From a PC stand point i agree with you.  From a Business stand point i think he should get canned IF it causes the stations to lose advertising revenue.

I don't see it as an issue... This is capitalism at it's finest right? That's what the "red staters" pride themselves on isn't it? The market has stated that he can't keep his job... They should be proud, not upset.

Is it overboard... I think so, but hell, he's not the first person to get fired over something I thought wasn't a big deal.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »
I'd like to see if Al Sharpton is going to take this lil' show on the road and start going after the rap industry.  He might end up with a little bit of integrity if he did, but my guess is he's gonna continue playing the race card and simply ignore the double standard that the rap and black comedy industries have been privy too for so long. 

Ah, there goes your red herring again.   ::)

http://media.www.thehilltoponline.com/media/storage/paper590/news/2005/03/28/Campus/Sharpton.Calls.For.Ban.On.Violent.Rap.Music-904105.shtml

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »
Good, now go purchase you the latest rap record sonny boy.

"This Is Why I'm Hot" is playing on my Napster box right now, followed by "She's No You" and then "The Great Escape" (by BT). 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 09:58:27 AM »
That's not true... Star from "Star and buck" in the morning was fired after making statements about a local DJ and his family.

Wrong is wrong... Should he have been fired? It's a toss up... I mean, he didn't drop the N bomb, but he came about as close as you can without actually saying it.

I've been forced to listen to hip-hop radio while in the gym and some of stuff they say on air are maybe 100 times more offensive than anything Imus said.  :-\ These offensive comments are directed at whites, asians, women and no one seems to care. But when anyone makes a remotely offensive comment about blacks or hispanics, even in jest, they seemed to get blackballed from their respective careers.  :-\

I think there was this one incident where a rap station in NYC made fun of the 2005 tsunami victims by calling them "chinks" and mimicking their cries for help on air. They faced no discipline.  :-\

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »
Ya Colly, I was kind of surprised myself that he was fired. I didn't approve of his comment, and I thought it was completely out-of-line, ...but I understand where he went wrong. Disciplinary action was warranted and I thought his suspension was an adequate enough punishment, ...but it wasn't my decision to make.

I don't think he was fired for the remark. I think he was fired because he proved too much of a liability for the station. In that sense, it was his own doing. Maybe now that he's gone, we can stop talking about it.

That's the thing.  If we were talking about a single incident, no reasonable person could argue that he should be fired.  But because of his PATTERN of blurting out racist comments on public airwaves, many of the show's large advertisers decided they did not wish to have their products associated with him.  Once those dominoes began to fall, his days were numbered. 

The racists clones here at GetBig need to recognize that he wasn't fired on the basis of this one, lone comment. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »

Yep.  I agree. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
Canned by CBS.  He is officially unemployed. 

CBS also pulls plug on Imus
POSTED: 4:58 p.m. EDT, April 12, 2007
Story Highlights• NEW: CBS pulls plug on "Imus in the Morning," effective immediately
• Imus says he will not go on "some talk show tour"
• TV network will no longer simulcast "Imus in the Morning"
• Rutgers women's basketball team will meet with Imus

Adjust font size:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- CBS has canceled Don Imus' radio show, effective immediately, after uproar over his racist and sexist comments about Rutgers women's basketball team.

"From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent," said CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves, in announcing the decision.

The decision by CBS came a day after NBC Universal decided to part ways with Imus completely, thus canceling the simulcast of his show on MSNBC.

Amid the outcry over his on-air racial slur last week, shock jock Imus said Thursday that he had "apologized enough" and that he will not go on "some talk show tour."

"I'm not going to go talk to Larry King or Barbara Walters or anyone else," Imus said on his flagship station in New York, WFAN-AM, which is owned by CBS Corp. and distributes "Imus in the Morning" nationally.

"The only other people I want to talk to are these young women at the team, and then that's it," Imus said.

. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/12/imus.rutgers/index.html

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:59 AM »
Imus: Anatomy of a scandal
By Mike Gallagher
Friday, April 13, 2007

Anatomy of a scandal: Don Imus spends years developing a talk radio career where his cranky, always-irritated demeanor turns into revenue gold for his employers; on one particular morning he makes a stupid, bigoted remark about a bunch of young, talented college athletes; a liberal watchdog-type website blasts the remark all over the internet, prompting the media to turn it into a firestorm; Imus makes a bunch of clumsy, cranky, always-irritated attempts to apologize; and before he can even begin to start serving his self-described “two week suspension with dignity”, he loses it all. First, his cable news employer cans him and then, his bread and butter, the radio network, says good-bye, I-Man.

Whew.

A few good things have come out of this train wreck. Any time an issue isn’t split down predictable party lines, that’s a good thing. Liberal blowhards like Rosie O’Donnell and Bill Maher rushed to his defense while conservative blowhards like me agreed that Don Imus should probably lose his job.

I know that any of us who make a living in front of a microphone could invoke the, “There but for the grace of God” response. But once in awhile, it’s not hard to keep from defending the indefensible. Talk radio is an intimate medium. If we hosts are any good at it, our listeners know us. And it’s pretty doggone tough to listen to a cranky old man with a ridiculous-looking oversize cowboy hat perched on his head and know that when he watches an NCAA basketball team comprised of black students, the phrase “nappy-headed ho’s” even enters his mind. I’m a pretty simple guy when it comes to something quacking and walking and looking like a duck and therefore probably being an actual duck.

Only a bigot would say what Imus said.

But what about the other bigots in this story? What happens to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton now? Does anyone really believe that they’re the moral arbiters when it comes to the subject of Don Imus? How many reporters will ever have the courage to ask Rev. Jesse Jackson how he could dare criticize “nappy-headed ho’s” when he has yet to apologize for calling New York City “Hymietown?”

And when is Rev. Al Sharpton going to apologize for ruining the life of an Upstate New York policeman who was falsely accused of rape by a lying scoundrel named Tawana Brawley?

Speaking of Tawana Brawley, how about today’s version of the same affair, a black stripper named Crystal Mangum who falsely accused those Duke Lacrosse players of rape? Why isn’t D.A. Mike Nifong joining Don Imus in unemployment?

I don’t know the answer to any of those questions. Heck, I don’t even really know if Don Imus should have been fired. I think so, but this isn’t a guy who suddenly came up with a slur like this one. He’s been doing it for years and just about every author, politician, TV personality and celebrity in America acted like Imus was their best buddy. Heck, John McCain wants to be President and he’s tone deaf enough to brag about going back on Imus’ show after the dust settled (and obviously before finding out that there wouldn’t be a show to return to).

I suppose one of the morals of this story is that when the media machine sets its sights on someone, that someone is pretty much finished. I don’t even think Imus can move into satellite radio, a place where plenty of foul-mouthed shock jocks wind up. With XM and Sirius planning to merge, the satellite radio industry needs all kinds of governmental approvals. You think any politician is going to sign off on a big merger if the merging companies feature Don Imus?

No, Mr. Imus is pretty much caput. Maybe he can retire to his palatial residence at his ranch for sick kids and ride horses and wear his big ol’ hat to his heart’s content, riding off into the sunset literally and figuratively.

After the media is through chewing Imus up and spitting him out, it’ll retreat for awhile until it finds another hapless prey. Then it’ll all start up again and we can watch in amazement as someone who seemed invincible comes crashing down in a fiery mess.

Like it or not, it’s become the American way.