Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 17, 2019, 02:06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The crash survivor "miracle"  (Read 1961 times)
Dos Equis
Getbig V

I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »

Simple: either the thing happened through a mechanism that, though unknown to us, can be discovered and understood and is internally consistent, or we misinterpreted what happened to begin with.

I’ve heard it many times. But I’ve yet to see a plausible and well documented story of a spontaneous recovery from a terminal illness.

I’ve heard of that too. Most times, mitigating circumstances are involved (e.g. the person whose heart stopped had drowned in ice-cold water) that can provide an explanation based on well-understood biological mechanisms.

But even in times where a precise mechanism of action is not understood, I don’t think in terms of miracles. I think in terms of “oh, an as of yet not understood mechanism allowed for this out of the ordinary result.”

Come on. “Countless others that defy medical explanations” is a bit much. I’m betting most such cases, if not all, are anecdotal and those that aren’t don’t really “defy medical explanations”.

I mean, I’m sure that “parishioner with advanced cancer made a miraculous recovery” sounds amazing on the Church’s weekly newsletter and whips the congregation into a religious frenzy, but I doubt the story includes details about the actual treatment nor are most readers able to evaluate the medical condition on its merits; all they know is that someone made a recovery. At best it’ll say “Doctors had all but given up” or “All doctors could do was ease the pain.”

And, of course, when the poor parishioner doesn’t recover, the newsletter won’t say “miracle failure occurred.” It says “Our parishioner is now home and in the presence of the Lord. He’s no longer is pain but bathed in eternal love” or some such trite bullshit.

Long story short: miracles are bullshit.

Thanks for the responses.  Now I'm curious myself about many of the stories I've heard.  I'm going to look into some and post later.
Report to moderator   Logged
illuminati
Competitors II
Getbig V

The Strongest Shall Survive.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »

Well I'm a God believer.  lol

I think most people use UFOs in the context of alien spaceships.  I don't think we have solid evidence of alien spaceships.  Or do we?

Correct - Most people do think / see them as Alien Space crafts - Though as we don’t know what they
Are - It leaves the door open that they Could Be from A God & Hence Miracles.
Dos Equis
Getbig V

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:31 PM »

Correct - Most people do think / see them as Alien Space crafts - Though as we don’t know what they
Are - It leaves the door open that they Could Be from A God & Hence Miracles.

Sounds like an overly expansive view of miracles.  From that outlook, we humans are all miracles (if you believe in intelligent design). 
illuminati
Competitors II
Getbig V

The Strongest Shall Survive.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 09:28:52 PM »

Sounds like an overly expansive view of miracles.  From that outlook, we humans are all miracles (if you believe in intelligent design).  

Yes I Maybe generalising a bit - Then again a lot of unexplainable things / events are called Miricles
More so if it can be related to a god like occurance- That also quite vague & expansive I’d say.

Do you not think it is A Miracle how we are here on this planet
And what about the Miracles of Nature
Dos Equis
Getbig V

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »

Yes I Maybe generalising a bit - Then again a lot of unexplainable things / events are called Miricles
More so if it can be related to a god like occurance- That also quite vague & expansive I’d say.

Do you not think it is A Miracle how we are here on this planet
And what about the Miracles of Nature

Yes you're right.  Our bodies, nature, the planet, sun, moon, etc. and they way they are all in harmony with each other is miraculous.  It's one of the reasons why I believe in God.  I spend a lot of time outdoors and there is just no way that what I see in nature is an accident.  Same with our bodies.  Absolutely amazing stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!