Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634747 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Sportswriter: NBC Should Censor Tony Dungy for Citing QB's Christian Faith As Success Factor
By Tom Blumer | February 8, 2018

There is a little doubt that a segment of the sports press and the public would prefer that athletes with conservative and Christian beliefs keep their views to themselves (but secular and leftist views are fine). This became evident after the Super Bowl, when one sportswriter and the Twitter mob strongly criticized NBC's Tony Dungy, a Super Bowl-winning coach himself, for citing Philadelphia Eagle quarterback Nick Foles' self-professed Christian faith as contributing to his success.

These people wanted — no, really expected — Dungy to not relay what Foles, the team's backup quarterback until became its starter after Carson Wentz's season-ending injury on December 10, told him about his mindset ahead of the big game.

But that's part of Dungy's job, so he did:

TonyDungySuperBowlFoles3 on020618

Oh my. Foles cited the Lord, and Dungy told everyone. Pass the smelling salts.

After harsh initial criticism, Dungy responded early Tuesday:

TonyDungySuperBowlFoles1 on020618

Note that Dungy (and Foles) are both mature enough not to claim that the Eagles' victory was God's will, or that Foles won because he might be a stronger Christian that New England Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady, as one unhinged Twitter critic charged. Dungy simply believed Foles' "Christian faith would allow him to play with confidence."

Dungy was on the Foles bandwagon weeks ago. While many sportswriters thought that Wentz's injury had sealed the Eagles' doom, Dungy predicted: "Nick Foles will play well. The NFC Championship Game will be in Philly.”

Dungy posted a further response later Tuesday morning:

TonyDungySuperBowlFoles2 on020618

Those statements were too much for Kyle Koster, a Senior Writer at The Big Lead, to handle.

Late Tuesday morning, Koster wrote that Dungy "should be checked," i.e., muzzled (h/t Daily Caller):

... it would be naive to think Dungy trumpeting the benefits of faith is something being done from a distance while only wearing an analyst’s hat.

.... His long history of evangelizing must be weighed.
In other words, if you evangelize on your own time, anything you say as a sports analyst will receive greater scrutiny, because, well, we've got to make sure that "evangelizing" doesn't occur on the air.

... Dungy, a very public and proud Christian, pushed a narrative favorable to Christianity that may or may not be true ...

Dungy expressing his beliefs on his personal time and platform is one thing. ... But when his beliefs seep into his analyst role — either unintentionally or otherwise — they should be checked, both by NBC and the public.
No, Mr. Koster. All Dungy did is tell the public what Foles told him and compliment his play. Koster clearly believes that a sports journalist shouldn't be allowed to do that if icky Christianity is involved, and that NBC and "the public" should stop someone who tries. This is the same mindset possessed by broadcasters who routinely censor athletes thanking God for their success after games.

Koster's hostility also came through in a separate Wednesday tweet: "Nick Foles was a Christian when he wasn't very good at football, too."

How pathetic.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tom-blumer/2018/02/08/sportswriter-wants-nbc-censor-tony-dungy-reporting-eagles-qb-cited

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2018, 11:40:48 AM »
Trump at National Prayer Breakfast: America is a nation of believers
David Jackson, USA TODAY
Published Feb. 8, 2018

WASHINGTON – President Trump stuck to the script during the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, honoring the power of faith and politics for leaders facing national and internal challenges.

"America is a nation of believers and together we are strengthened by the power of prayer," Trump told delegates at the annual breakfast that has welcomed American presidents since 1953.

The event reminds people that "faith is central to Americas life and liberty," Trump said. "Our rights are not given to us by man ... Our rights come from our Creator."

Trump, who made evangelicals and religious conservatives major parts of his political coalition, discussed the role of faith as political leaders grapple with problems that range from the opioid epidemic to the rogue regime of North Korea.

Trump took some heat during his first prayer breakfast last year when he mocked Arnold Schwarzenegger over his struggles as host of The Apprentice, the president's old television game show. ("The ratings went right down the tubes," Trump riffed then, adding that "I want to just pray for Arnold ... for those ratings.")

Trump also referred to The Apprentice in an early morning tweet preceding this year's prayer breakfast appearance.

"Great religious and political leaders, and many friends, including T.V. producer Mark Burnett of our wonderful 14 season Apprentice triumph, will be there," Trump tweeted.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Will be heading over shortly to make remarks at The National Prayer Breakfast in Washington. Great religious and political leaders, and many friends, including T.V. producer Mark Burnett of our wonderful 14 season Apprentice triumph, will be there. Looking forward to seeing all!
1:08 AM - Feb 8, 2018
38.2K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
As usual, an international crowd assembled for the breakfast, including up to 60 Russians. A special counsel and congressional committees are investigating Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election via hacked emails and fake news.

Trump also worked in some foreign policy during the breakfast, meeting on the sidelines with the president of Guatemala, Jimmy Morales.

While Trump has criticized illegal immigration from Guatemala and other Central American countries, Guatemala did back the United States on a recent foreign policy dispute: Like the U.S., Guatemala announced it was moving its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/08/trump-national-prayer-breakfast-america-nation-believers/318680002/

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »
Libtardians hate Christians but love muslimes.  They despise people who, if challenged, may well die for their faith and embrace a bunch of cuntlettes that would kill for theirs.

Go figure.  I am now an Atheist but can easily recognize good people.  Those that follow the Nazarene are definitely among those I call good.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
Libtardians hate Christians but love muslimes.  They despise people who, if challenged, may well die for their faith and embrace a bunch of cuntlettes that would kill for theirs.

Go figure.  I am now an Atheist but can easily recognize good people.  Those that follow the Nazarene are definitely among those I call good.
well, that's your option

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »

The anti-Christians who embrace Islam are pretty weird. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
The anti-Christians who embrace Islam are pretty weird. 

agree

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
WATCH: Alabama Football Players Pray For Donald Trump And His Staff At The White House

FORD SPRINGER
Entertainment Reporter
04/11/2018

Nick Saban and the Alabama football team proved how special it is having the opportunity to visit the White House on Tuesday in more ways than one.

Donald Trump welcomed the Crimson Tide to the White House yesterday to recognize the team for their national championship victory. Of course, it was a special moment for the team, but what happened after the ceremony was truly amazing.

After Trump finished praising Alabama for their incredible comeback victory over Georgia in the national championship, punter J.K. Scott pulled the president aside and asked if he could pray for Trump and his staff. A handful of Scott’s teammates then circled around Trump and bowed their heads in prayer together.

The ceremonial visits to the White House have become a topic of controversy since Trump took over in the Oval Office. Almost every team that has won a championship over the past year and a half has had at least one player refuse to come, citing Trump as the reason.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban made sure that didn’t happen with his team. In fact, every player on the championship team but one attended the White House on Tuesday. Unfortunately Terrell Lewis, who grew up just 25 miles from the White House, could not attend due to a death in the family.

No matter how athletes feel about who lives in the White House, they should all hope and pray that he succeeds. Clearly the Crimson Tide understands that better than most.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/11/alabama-football-players-pray-donald-trump-white-house/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »
On the National Day of Prayer: Let us pray that our nation is on God's side
Scott Gunn By Scott Gunn   | Fox News

Today is the National Day of Prayer. As a Christian, and a priest at that, every day is a day of prayer for me. But I am still grateful our nation sets aside a day for prayer.

Prayer changes people. Every time I pray, I know that it changes me and my life. Sometimes, I am even blessed to see change in others as I pray for them. For people of faith, prayer is an indispensable part of our relationship with God. All relationships require conversation, and prayer is our chance to talk with God. In prayer we share our hopes with God, and we listen for God’s hope for us.

The Second Continental Congress established days of prayer and fasting going back to the earliest years of our nation. Various other national days, including Thanksgiving, were set aside in the 1800s. It was 1952 when the National Day of Prayer as we know it was enacted.

Over these many years, our attitude toward national prayer has changed. Originally, there was a great deal of humility in the prayer. Sometimes people fasted, going without food as a gesture of humility before God. The point was to conform our nation to God’s will.

If you read political speeches from the 1800s, you’ll notice that when presidents invoked God, they expressed hope that our nation was on God’s side. They prayed with humility. This is a far cry from the common assumption today that our nation is always in the right, and that we must thereby speak with assurance that God is on our side. Too often, we tell God what to do, instead of asking God what we must do.

The National Day of Prayer, at its best, offers all of us in this wonderful nation the gift of praying that we might be blessed by God’s wisdom and courage.

The National Day of Prayer, at its best, offers all of us in this wonderful nation the gift of praying that we might be blessed by God’s wisdom and courage. We pray that we would always know and do those things God wills. This is not a day for using prayer to achieve whatever political aims we might want. It is rather a day for inviting God to guide our politics.

My prayer as a Christian, is always to have the wisdom, strength, and courage to be on God’s side. I’ll pray for justice, peace, and mercy for all. I’ll pray for freedom for all people to thrive as the people God made them to be. I’ll pray for our nation to use those things God has given us for the common good.

I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and The Book of Common Prayer is one of the treasures of my church. Today, I invite you to join me in saying these words, from our prayer book, for our country.

"Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage: We humbly beseech thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of thy favor and glad to do thy will. Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues.

"Endue with the spirit of wisdom those to whom in thy Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to thy law, we may show forth thy praise among the nations of the earth. In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in thee to fail; all which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/05/03/on-national-day-prayer-let-us-pray-that-our-nation-is-on-gods-side.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
Paranoid religious extremists in schools... Just firing these zealots is not enough, they should face actual punishment.

Oregon High School Principal and Resource Officer Fired For Anti-LGBTQ Discrimination, Including Telling Gay Students They Were Going to Hell

North Bend High School principal Bill Lucero and school resource officer Jason Griggs are being removed from their jobs in the district's settlement with the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon. The firings come after complaints from former and current students, including Liv Funk and Hailey Smith, about suffering anti-LGBTQ harassment and discrimination from classmates and administration.

North Bend High School has been under scrutiny since April, when the ODE launched an investigation into the district's possible anti-discrimination law violations, including making students read Bible passages as punishment.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/05/21/an-oregon-high-school-counselor-allegedly-told-gay-students-they-were-going-to-hell-while-classmates-attacked-them-and-yelled-slurs/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
Paranoid religious extremists in schools... Just firing these zealots is not enough, they should face actual punishment.

Oregon High School Principal and Resource Officer Fired For Anti-LGBTQ Discrimination, Including Telling Gay Students They Were Going to Hell

North Bend High School principal Bill Lucero and school resource officer Jason Griggs are being removed from their jobs in the district's settlement with the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon. The firings come after complaints from former and current students, including Liv Funk and Hailey Smith, about suffering anti-LGBTQ harassment and discrimination from classmates and administration.

North Bend High School has been under scrutiny since April, when the ODE launched an investigation into the district's possible anti-discrimination law violations, including making students read Bible passages as punishment.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/05/21/an-oregon-high-school-counselor-allegedly-told-gay-students-they-were-going-to-hell-while-classmates-attacked-them-and-yelled-slurs/

Good

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: May 24, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
Public schools would kowtow to muslime scum but choose to remove Christians.  Fuck their noise.

Fuck the cucks.  I hope there is a Hell for these cucked up libtardians.  They deserve to be the 72 "virgins" for their muzzie masters.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: May 24, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
Public schools would kowtow to muslime scum but choose to remove Christians.  Fuck their noise.

Fuck the cucks.  I hope there is a Hell for these cucked up libtardians.  They deserve to be the 72 "virgins" for their muzzie masters.

Did you read the article? I doubt it. You wouldn't' have posted that. You aren't that stupid

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
Did you read the article?

Nope. I simply read the stuff posted that accompanied said link.  I know libtards and they populate the pubic school system like fetid blisters populate Kai Greene's anus.   Libs just love to bob for balls on muzzies and despise anyone that even professes belief in the Nazarene.

Fuck islime.  Anyone that isn't against that infestation deserves to serve as cumdumpster cuck for eternity in Hell.  If there were a Hell.  There isn't.   Fuck this entire bowel movment that spawned the sensitive new age fuckit.  I'm not here to argue the point but to make one.  Fuck islime and those that bow to it. 

You don't like the Nazarene?  BFD.  I dont give a fuck for the cuck of islime, hoMohammed.  Fuck that noise.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: May 24, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
Nope. I simply read the stuff posted that accompanied said link.  I know libtards and they populate the pubic school system like fetid blisters populate Kai Greene's anus.   Libs just love to bob for balls on muzzies and despise anyone that even professes belief in the Nazarene.

Fuck islime.  Anyone that isn't against that infestation deserves to serve as cumdumpster cuck for eternity in Hell.  If there were a Hell.  There isn't.   Fuck this entire bowel movment that spawned the sensitive new age fuckit.  I'm not here to argue the point but to make one.  Fuck islime and those that bow to it. 

You don't like the Nazarene?  BFD.  I dont give a fuck for the cuck of islime, hoMohammed.  Fuck that noise.

so you didn't read it and commented. Ok

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
Did you read the article? I doubt it. If you did. Screw you. But I doubt you did or your wouldn't' have posted that. You aren't that stupid

You sure you were LEO?  You don't read like you were and believe me, I know what I am saying.  And like I said,  I ain't here to argue any point, just make 'em.  I'm correct on this subject and not because it's me that's making the point but because what I say is true.

Liberals hate the Nazarene. Their rai·son d'ê·tre seems to be to suck off muslimes. Cuckolds.  They just love abuse at the hands of stinky people.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: May 24, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
so you didn't read it and commented. Ok

I see no problem with that.  If you do, you had best NEVER make another posting here on anything you're not remotely educated on.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »
I see no problem with that.  If you do, you had best NEVER make another posting here on anything you're not remotely educated on.

I read the article. You commented on something and didn't remotely address the issue. Sorry dude but your anti atheist (but I'm an atheist I just hate other atheist and love Jesus) is starting to show.   

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: May 24, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
I read the article. You commented on something and didn't remotely address the issue. Sorry dude but your anti atheist (but I'm an atheist I just hate other atheist and love Jesus) is starting to show.   

"Starting to show"...FTN.  I make no bones about my loathing for fucktards and that being regardless of what side of the Rubic's Cube they come from.  I respect the Nazarene for who he was.

You?  Not nearly so much, but then neither you nor I will be remembered in under a hundred years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »

Definitely should have been fired, and firing is punishment.  What other kind of punishment are you talking about? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: May 24, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »
Definitely should have been fired, and firing is punishment.  What other kind of punishment are you talking about? 

Firing works for me

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: May 29, 2018, 11:09:46 AM »
These christians are unhinged.

"Commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules"

Living in extravagant luxury but when it comes to paying taxes like ordinary citizens and businesses, that would somehow restrict their "exercise of religion". What a novel excuse.

Louisiana televangelist seeks donations for $54M private jet: report

A Louisiana-based televangelist is asking his followers to donate money for a $54 million jet that can “go anywhere in the world in one stop,” The Times-Picayune reported. 

Jesse Duplantis, 68, a Christian minister based in Destrehan, about 25 miles east of New Orleans, says his ministry has paid cash for three private jets.

“You know I’ve owned three different jets in my life and used them and used them and just burning them up for the Lord,” Duplantis says in a video posted to his ministries’ website.

Duplantis is now reportedly seeking the funds for a Dassault Falcon 7X, worth $54 million.

The problem with the previous jets, he says, is that they require multiple stops to refuel. But flying the Falcon 7X, Duplantis says, will allow him to save money and not pay “those exorbitant prices with jet fuel all over the world.” 

“I really believe that if Jesus was physically on the earth today, he wouldn’t be riding a donkey,” Duplantis says in the video, “He’d be in an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

Duplantis’ video comes after another televangelist, Kenneth Copeland in Texas, purchased the Gulfstream V jet for $36 million.

Both televangelists defended their use of private jets during a joint appearance on Copeland’s program, saying that commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/29/louisiana-televangelist-seeks-donations-for-54m-private-jet-report.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: May 29, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
Another reason ALL churches should pay taxes. Many of them are just money making businesses.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
These christians are unhinged.

"Commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules"

Living in extravagant luxury but when it comes to paying taxes like ordinary citizens and businesses, that would somehow restrict their "exercise of religion". What a novel excuse.

Louisiana televangelist seeks donations for $54M private jet: report

A Louisiana-based televangelist is asking his followers to donate money for a $54 million jet that can “go anywhere in the world in one stop,” The Times-Picayune reported. 

Jesse Duplantis, 68, a Christian minister based in Destrehan, about 25 miles east of New Orleans, says his ministry has paid cash for three private jets.

“You know I’ve owned three different jets in my life and used them and used them and just burning them up for the Lord,” Duplantis says in a video posted to his ministries’ website.

Duplantis is now reportedly seeking the funds for a Dassault Falcon 7X, worth $54 million.

The problem with the previous jets, he says, is that they require multiple stops to refuel. But flying the Falcon 7X, Duplantis says, will allow him to save money and not pay “those exorbitant prices with jet fuel all over the world.” 

“I really believe that if Jesus was physically on the earth today, he wouldn’t be riding a donkey,” Duplantis says in the video, “He’d be in an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

Duplantis’ video comes after another televangelist, Kenneth Copeland in Texas, purchased the Gulfstream V jet for $36 million.

Both televangelists defended their use of private jets during a joint appearance on Copeland’s program, saying that commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/29/louisiana-televangelist-seeks-donations-for-54m-private-jet-report.html

If by "these Christians" you mean these nuts asking for money to buy private jets, I agree.  If you mean Christians in general, I disagree.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »

This is what happens when paranoid religious extremists are not punished. He will now be put in charge of even younger children. Seems somewhat similar to how criminal cops just go work for a different police department or pedophile priests move to a different city.

After discrimination allegations, North Bend moves high school principal to middle school

NORTH BEND, Ore. - The high school principal removed from his post after accusations of discrimination at the school against LGBTQ students has been re-assigned as vice principal of the district's middle school.

The North Bend School District removed Bill Lucero as principal of North Bend High School amidst scrutiny from the State of Oregon and pressure from the ACLU of Oregon.

Lucero will be the vice principal at North Bend Middle School next year.

That school's principal will take over as principal of the high school, and the current vice principal of the middle school will be principal at the middle school, the district announced Monday.

http://kpic.com/news/local/after-deal-with-aclu-north-bend-moves-high-school-principal-to-middle-school

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: July 03, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
This happened in Australia but it showcases how widespread the problem of religious sexual abuse is and how lightly several of these religious abusers are treated. Another case of he's too important to be punished like ordinary people "oh he's too old and frail to go to prison" (we heard similar excuses about Arpaio and other criminals as well). If he's "too old" and "in poor health" then what can be said about his victims?  Certainly they were too young and exploited but that doesn't seem to count when the abuses comes from religious figures and institutions.

Archbishop Philip Wilson sentenced for concealing child sex abuse

A Catholic archbishop in Australia has been given a maximum sentence of 12 months in detention for concealing child sexual abuse in the 1970s. Philip Wilson, now archbishop of Adelaide, is the most senior Catholic globally to be convicted of the crime. He was found guilty by a court last month of covering up abuse by a paedophile priest in New South Wales.

On Tuesday, the court ordered Wilson to be assessed for "home detention" - meaning he will probably avoid jail. Magistrate Robert Stone said the senior clergyman had shown "no remorse or contrition". He will be eligible for parole after six months.

In May, a court found he had failed to report his colleague James Patrick Fletcher's abuse of altar boys to police. Wilson, then a junior priest in the Maitland region, had dismissed young victims in a bid to protect the Church's reputation, Magistrate Stone ruled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44692396