Author Topic: gotta question about PUMPING IRON..  (Read 3600 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: gotta question about PUMPING IRON..
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
Wrong, Stay Hungry was shot before Pumping Iron and was THE reason Arnold lost the weight.

The Beef

Wrong; the order's unimportant; the point was he went down fairly drastically in weight except when needed in order to audition for roles. Being known as a refrigerator wasn't helping; he  knew that muscle memory & hormones allowed quick recovery. Obvious from pics in the mags at the time as well as seeing him in person at the '76 universe backstage around 205 lb.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 10:55:30 AM »
Arnold was down in weight before/during the '75 Mr. O because he'd already decided to retire after 1974. It was the possibilities of "Pumping Iron" the movie that convinced him to come out of retirement.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
Arnold was down in weight before/during the '75 Mr. O because he'd already decided to retire after 1974. It was the possibilities of "Pumping Iron" the movie that convinced him to come out of retirement.

Exactly. Everything else is revisionist history from guys who probably hadn't been born yet LOL

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »
Ed Corney, Franco, Padilla, Robinson and others also followed this system. I didnt say everyone did it, but def more than nowadays.

Padilla almost always started his contest prep at a light body weight and gained up for a contest. I think the only exception might have been 1981.
and keep moving!

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
Slow that scene down around where he meets Waller, for a split-second glimpse of Mentzer on the other side of the bar, evidentally not part of the clique and not in the footage.

Yeah. I've noticed that before. Mike Mentzer at the other end of the front desk drinking something. His apperance there does come across as being friendly.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
you can tell he is lighter in the begining, he looks smaller compared to everyone else, then the next scenes you can tell he was on d bol because of how bloated he looks in the yellow tank top.  He was 228 at the 75 olympia.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
you can tell he is lighter in the begining, he looks smaller compared to everyone else, then the next scenes you can tell he was on d bol because of how bloated he looks in the yellow tank top.  He was 228 at the 75 olympia.

Bloated? What are you, a knucklehead?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:25 PM »
I did not know this [which was mentioned in FLEX] but the guy in the beginning who Arnold dubbed "Big Tony" is in fact Tony Nowak - the creator of the famous Arnold Classic leather jackets.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
Exactly. Everything else is revisionist history from guys who probably hadn't been born yet LOL

Off the mark again, champ.

1) the pic you have there is of Arnold ( circa 79 - late. ) Arnold had walked away from competing, but still trained consistently up until 77 ( I have footage of Arnold posing for Wide World of Sports as he " got the feeling for the stage " at the 77 Olympia.) son, I was there as well.

The Beef does not want a pissing match, you're wrong . . . no big deal. But, if you can't accept that, The Beef will post a detailed responce with pics and a time line to show you. Right now, I gotta go to bed the gym opens at 5 am.

The Beef

P.S. No disrespect intended, you're clearly a knowledgeable guy, but I was there.  Peace, brother.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
I did not know this [which was mentioned in FLEX] but the guy in the beginning who Arnold dubbed "Big Tony" is in fact Tony Nowak - the creator of the famous Arnold Classic leather jackets.

Yes thats Tony.  Tony was also our.... lets say in-house Pharmacist.  He also was best friends with Joe Gold and ended up making all the jackets for Worlds Gym.  He does great leather jackets and still does

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »
Off the mark again, champ.

1) the pic you have there is of Arnold ( circa 79 - late. ) Arnold had walked away from competing, but still trained consistently up until 77 ( I have footage of Arnold posing for Wide World of Sports as he " got the feeling for the stage " at the 77 Olympia.) son, I was there as well.

The Beef does not want a pissing match, you're wrong . . . no big deal. But, if you can't accept that, The Beef will post a detailed responce with pics and a time line to show you. Right now, I gotta go to bed the gym opens at 5 am.

The Beef

P.S. No disrespect intended, you're clearly a knowledgeable guy, but I was there.  Peace, brother.

Dude, stop taking everything literally. Where did i attach an exact date to the pic? WTF is wrong with you?

"Training consistently" does not mean retaining great size, being on hormones or eating as much, without which he dropped way down. You've done absolutely nothing to explain why he'd have stayed huge after '74, excepting the filming of PI. Why would he stay around 230? By the time of the following years' Universe in Montreal he was already back down again.

Keep trying though, despite being unable to explain why he'd have stayed big when he only did it for contests. The extra size wasn't needed for any acting assignments.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 02:58:31 AM »
Bullshit response from a classic tool. Dude.

The Beef

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 04:20:59 AM »
Bullshit response from a classic tool. Dude.

The Beef

OK my little keyboard warrior. :'(

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 06:17:53 AM »
I thought he retired and returned to just shoot that movie

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 07:06:10 AM »
I thought he retired and returned to just shoot that movie

He did. George Butler convinced Arnold otherwise, with Arnold feeling this would be a good "launching pad" in his strive for a movie career.