Author Topic: journalists going on meet the press have no guts  (Read 2537 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: journalists going on meet the press have no guts
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
do you think this cycle coincides with the Jackie Robinson celebrations?

i have no clue.  could be they tie in nicely and people will give JR more attention now, which would be a positive ripple. 

Or, could be it is designed to take attention off the failed Surge.  In the same time that Imus was breaking news for the last 8 days, we've had 3 massive attacks (green zone which is now called an inside job by ABC news, bridge, and the shrine/market) and the daily death toll is 3rd highest ever.

A cynic might mention to you that NBC's parent company GE makes a LOT more money during the surge from its war machine division, so reporting its ineffectiveness will cost the company millions, and might not be in their own best interest.

Of course, you'd never admit that a CEO who answers to shareholders for a nice large salary would *ever* encourage the editorial dept to focus on something less damaging to that org's bottom line. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »
i have no clue.  could be they tie in nicely and people will give JR more attention now, which would be a positive ripple. 

Or, could be it is designed to take attention off the failed Surge.  In the same time that Imus was breaking news for the last 8 days, we've had 3 massive attacks (green zone which is now called an inside job by ABC news, bridge, and the shrine/market) and the daily death toll is 3rd highest ever.

A cynic might mention to you that NBC's parent company GE makes a LOT more money during the surge from its war machine division, so reporting its ineffectiveness will cost the company millions, and might not be in their own best interest.

Of course, you'd never admit that a CEO who answers to shareholders for a nice large salary would *ever* encourage the editorial dept to focus on something less damaging to that org's bottom line. 

oh geese....first of all NBC is not doing anything to help Bush, and there are lots os signs that the surge is working as well. So in your logic wouldn't NBC want to report those things to help fuel the war effort?. So was it Imus that agreed to create a distraction or was it Sharpton? or both together?
gotta love life

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
there are lots os signs that the surge is working as well.

Like more deaths?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »
oh geese....first of all NBC is not doing anything to help Bush, and there are lots os signs that the surge is working as well. So in your logic wouldn't NBC want to report those things to help fuel the war effort?. So was it Imus that agreed to create a distraction or was it Sharpton? or both together?

I'm sure there are signs of everything.  but there are facts, too:

1) Massive "inside job" attack killing 3 Iraqi congressman inside green zone.
2) Entire major bridge taken out by bomb
3) US/UK deaths per day at third highest this month, since war started.  Top 3 of what, 50 months?
4) Shrine blast yesterday kills 40+

Now, I am sure we are progressing in some areas, so people will always say "It's working!".  But deaths in the top 94th percentile and green zone suicide bombings are signs of moving BACKWARDS, not FWD.  And it cannot be denied that NBC/GE would make LESS money if the lagging surge was the topic of the month.  All we can argue about is, "would they" move focus to make more money.  You tell me.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
oh geese....first of all NBC is not doing anything to help Bush,

Um, I didn't say they were trying to help Bush.  I said it's conceivable they would change focus of their reporting if it meant they all got rich this year.  It's not politics, it's public opinion.  If people forget about the surge for 6 months, that's 6 months that GE gets very high missile order numbers.  If people see it and and public opinion says "leave Iraq" and we pull out, GE loses hundred of mill per year.  This is a fact. 

Now, would they slightly over-emphasize Imus, and maybe talk a little less about surge shortcomings, to make several hundred millions of dollars?  yes or no, in your opinion?

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
I'm sure there are signs of everything.  but there are facts, too:

1) Massive "inside job" attack killing 3 Iraqi congressman inside green zone.
2) Entire major bridge taken out by bomb
3) US/UK deaths per day at third highest this month, since war started.  Top 3 of what, 50 months?
4) Shrine blast yesterday kills 40+

Now, I am sure we are progressing in some areas, so people will always say "It's working!".  But deaths in the top 94th percentile and green zone suicide bombings are signs of moving BACKWARDS, not FWD.  And it cannot be denied that NBC/GE would make LESS money if the lagging surge was the topic of the month.  All we can argue about is, "would they" move focus to make more money.  You tell me.

Point taken and I really hope you don't thik I look at this through rose colored glasses (I used to love that song) I know bad things are happening, and I know they still outweigh the good things, so I acknowledge that. I just want to other side to do the same and see that there are good things going on and acknowledge those , and one bad week isn't necessarilly a setback. All  over Iraq things are improving, and Baghdad isn't the only place in Iraq. Your whole thing with NBC/GE though...You accuse the military, FOX and others of making up news, so why wouldn't NBC do the same this past week to ensure more money?
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »
Um, I didn't say they were trying to help Bush.  I said it's conceivable they would change focus of their reporting if it meant they all got rich this year.  It's not politics, it's public opinion.  If people forget about the surge for 6 months, that's 6 months that GE gets very high missile order numbers.  If people see it and and public opinion says "leave Iraq" and we pull out, GE loses hundred of mill per year.  This is a fact. 

Now, would they slightly over-emphasize Imus, and maybe talk a little less about surge shortcomings, to make several hundred millions of dollars?  yes or no, in your opinion?

In my opinion, they were reporting what the people want to hear...just like everyother media outlet this last week. If they really wanted to cover up the Surge they could have found ALOT of things that would support their "profitering" But why would they report everything bad all year long if in theory it will hurt their profits?
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
In my opinion, they were reporting what the people want to hear...just like everyother media outlet this last week. If they really wanted to cover up the Surge they could have found ALOT of things that would support their "profitering" But why would they report everything bad all year long if in theory it will hurt their profits?

As you know, I watch FOX, MSNBC, and CNN most of the day, every day, and have for 2 years now.

Since the surge started, IMO, there have been stories like Anna Nicole and Imus, which have received an inordinate amount of attention.  In the past, monster news less than those 3 attacks and high deaths during the surge would get daily analysis, and they really haven't now. 

I look for the most self-serving motive to do this, and I see NBC is profiting (for perhaps the last time, if we do leave next year) on this surge.  it might just be ratings pushing it.  But we all know there is always that little gray area where they decide where the emphasis lies.  And the huge dropoff in war coverage is, IMO, just a lil bit caused by their own financial interests.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 11:14:37 AM »
As you know, I watch FOX, MSNBC, and CNN most of the day, every day, and have for 2 years now.

Since the surge started, IMO, there have been stories like Anna Nicole and Imus, which have received an inordinate amount of attention.  In the past, monster news less than those 3 attacks and high deaths during the surge would get daily analysis, and they really haven't now. 

I look for the most self-serving motive to do this, and I see NBC is profiting (for perhaps the last time, if we do leave next year) on this surge.  it might just be ratings pushing it.  But we all know there is always that little gray area where they decide where the emphasis lies.  And the huge dropoff in war coverage is, IMO, just a lil bit caused by their own financial interests.

I agree to a point and if they had been the ONLY news outlet paying so much attention to Imus I would think like you...
gotta love life