Author Topic: Gunman incident on Virginia Tech campus  (Read 9125 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Gunman incident on Virginia Tech campus
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
They didn't have to lock down.  But cancelling classes might have been a good idea.  You have a dead body on campus with a bullet hole in it, another person critically wounded, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THE SHOOTER IS, and you allow classes to go on.

IMO, that is a mistake.

I agree.  They had an obligation to allow as few people as possible into harm's way.

Not knowing who the shooter was, much less where he was meant that they should've immediately cancelled all classes and school business, at a minimum. 

Two people had already been shot and there was no gunman in custody.  Even if they couldn't conceive of a massacre like this resulting, they should've at least been thinking that there was an armed and dangerous perp out there who might be looking to take hostages. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
Cancelling classes does nothing when 11,000 incoming students still go to their classes and could get mowed down, even if the buildings were locked.  Also, if you recall at UT, the killer was shooting at targets in open grass, which could have been done here, but with possibly less casualties.

The object is to have as few live bodies there as possible.  Cancelling classes might've kept thousands of people away. 

Even though all of them were in no direct danger from the gunman, that sheer mass of people and cars made it more difficult for cops and rescue personnel to do their jobs. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »

If the trouble starts at 10am, you're screwed.

But because it started at 7am and wasn't resumed until 2-1/2 hours later, there was certainly time to minimize the carnage. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
Cancelling classes does nothing when 11,000 incoming students still go to their classes and could get mowed down, even if the buildings were locked.

Bullshit.  If they had told everyone to lock their doors at 7:30, while this jerk was filling clips in his dorm, you wouldn't have had classrooms full of people, you would have had locked dorm rooms full of kids with baseball bats and golf clubs.  You would not have had 60 kids open their doors after hearing shots next door. 

Cancelling classes does nothing when 11,000 incoming students still go to their classes and could get mowed down, even if the buildings were locked.

UT shooter used a rifle.

Today's prick had a 9 and a .22

He wouldn't have killed ten people outdoors.  Indoors, he had them chained in, and could keep firing at them in trapped close range.  outdoors, using small caliber handguns to hit scrambling targets is damn hard.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »
cap86,

please improve your grasp of situational awareness and CQB. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »

If he only had 2 handguns, why wasn't this terrorist bum-rushed??

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
This is really sad. I wonder what race this guy was that did all the shooting. Well like all the shootings that happens at schools and work places are mostly, if not all, done by _____.Cant they understand that bullets hurt people. This is not a video game or a movie.

sgt. d

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »
The police are idiots. The college should have been on locked down that early morning. Classes should have been canceled for that day.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2007, 03:42:42 PM »
Bullshit.  If they had told everyone to lock their doors at 7:30, while this jerk was filling clips in his dorm, you wouldn't have had classrooms full of people, you would have had locked dorm rooms full of kids with baseball bats and golf clubs.  You would not have had 60 kids open their doors after hearing shots next door. 

UT shooter used a rifle.

Today's prick had a 9 and a .22

He wouldn't have killed ten people outdoors.  Indoors, he had them chained in, and could keep firing at them in trapped close range.  outdoors, using small caliber handguns to hit scrambling targets is damn hard.
Thanks for telling me stuff I already knew dickhead.  Like I said, if people coming on campus had no knowledge of this and the kid went outside in an open field he could have easily capped people, maybe not 30 but I would say at least 5-10 before getting shot.  Remember he was completely off campus.  My point with UT is not about rifles ya douche, it was about how despite being outside you can still kill people. 

BTW, wtf does this have to do with CQB?  Do you even know what that means? What it entails?  Have you ever trained for it besides playing HALO while staying at home all day?  Seriously, I schooled you in military knowledge before, don't start this again pal.

The police are idiots. The college should have been on locked down that early morning. Classes should have been canceled for that day.
You and 240 don't get it.  Unless you cut off all entrances and exits, tell everybody in the dorm not to come out and position a roving officer on every floor to ensure the shooter isn't walking ANY halls, then this guy could have easily gone on to kill more people.  This isn't a high school of 1000-5000.  It is a university of 25000 with many off campus students ariving throughout the day.
Squishy face retard

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
This is really sad. I wonder what race this guy was that did all the shooting. Well like all the shootings that happens at schools and work places are mostly, if not all, done by _____.Cant they understand that bullets hurt people. This is not a video game or a movie.

Rumor has it that he was Asian, not White.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »
All I know is that in bad weather, where there is the decision to close schools, the information is dispensed with great efficiency. If at 7:15 when the first 2 shootings occurred, the decision had been made to cancell classes, I have no doubt they could have gotten the word out.
w

body88

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »

sgt. d

He was Asian. Now stop trying to trivialize the death of 33 innocent kids you pile of waste.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »

sgt. d

I mean no disprespect to the victims, and my thoughts are with all affected here, but a point I have made many times before if the criminal in this case was of a ....certain racial persuasion.....we would have racist threads all over the board slamming all people of that race. That is a trend here, and has been for years.  As of yet, I see not one racial thread about it [which is good of course] if it was someone of that racial persuasion to which I refer...we would have nothing less than 25 by now, mark my words.

Again, no disrespect to any of the victims or families here, and to clarify I don't give a crap the race of the shooter [or anyone for that matter] - just pointing out a fact.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
If he only had 2 handguns, why wasn't this terrorist bum-rushed??

I listened to NPR today, they had a lot of kids call in.

It seems when he entered the classrooms, everyone hit the floor and hid their faces.

If it had happened on an airplane, the kid would have been tackled by everyone in sight.  But in the classroom, you had 30+ strong, healthy 20-year olds quivering while this prick fumbled his way thru reloading his .22

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2007, 04:18:09 PM »
He walked into a classroom and said "Herrow.... goodbye" jaejonna

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »
I listened to NPR today, they had a lot of kids call in.

It seems when he entered the classrooms, everyone hit the floor and hid their faces.

If it had happened on an airplane, the kid would have been tackled by everyone in sight.  But in the classroom, you had 30+ strong, healthy 20-year olds quivering while this prick fumbled his way thru reloading his .22

Understand ducking for cover initially, but c'mon now, this is Virginia-fucking-Tech...there had to be at least ONE hero in the group.  Even while seeking shelter, someone should've been able to recognize "now's our chance" and jumped that fool during one of his reloads.

body88

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
Understand ducking for cover initially, but c'mon now, this is Virginia-fucking-Tech...there had to be at least ONE hero in the group.  Even while seeking shelter, someone should've been able to recognize "now's our chance" and jumped that fool during one of his reloads.

A young woman who was in the classroom just stated that she and the 4 people that lived in the classroom held the door shut and kept the shooter out of the class room after he left for the second time. That was after she laid in a puddle of her fellow students blood while playing dead of course.

Not sure how you guys expect a classroom full of 20 year old's taking a German class to be anything but in shock when a random guy walks in and starts killing everyone at 10am. The student said he stood at the door and fired into the classroom. Unless someone has a gun there was not much they could do obviously. If a person is standing at a classroom door firing into the seating you are pretty much fucked.

Easy to be a Monday morning QB after it is all said and done. its true tho, im sure if a getbigger was there they would have dodged several bullets, and severed the shooters head with a pencil, saving everyones life in the process.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »

I agree.  But people were scared sheep on 9/11, and it took a 9/11 for them to realize that when people start stabbing on a plane, you use your shoes, pencils, laptops, or anything else as a weapon to ensure you don't end up on the 90th floor of a very tall building.

Perhaps when the next prick tries this, kids will remember VT and at the very least throw a few books while hightailing it for a window, even if they don't jump the guy.

One noteworthy thing is that after columbine, there were several small incidents in the year or two afterwards - and in those cases, the shooters were disarmed quickly by a group who had columbine in their minds.  Today's college freshmen were in 5th grade when Columbine happened.

body88

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »
I agree.  But people were scared sheep on 9/11, and it took a 9/11 for them to realize that when people start stabbing on a plane, you use your shoes, pencils, laptops, or anything else as a weapon to ensure you don't end up on the 90th floor of a very tall building.

Perhaps when the next prick tries this, kids will remember VT and at the very least throw a few books while hightailing it for a window, even if they don't jump the guy.

One noteworthy thing is that after columbine, there were several small incidents in the year or two afterwards - and in those cases, the shooters were disarmed quickly by a group who had columbine in their minds.  Today's college freshmen were in 5th grade when Columbine happened.

A girl who was in the classroom said the shooter stood at the door firing into the seating. If they ran at the guy to jump him wouldn't they get shot? Pretty much would mean running directly into the line of fire. Pretty unreasonable to expect these kids to be anything but in total shock. A mass murder at 10 am out of the blue is not a common thing. There was 29 kids in the classroom if 24 where killed and 4 lived including the girl who told the horrific story. How many where women?

She said she and the only 4 survivors held the door shut when he tried to come back in for a third time to kill them. I know how hard it is to react to a car swerving into your lane out of the blue. Imagine a guy standing at the door murdering everyone in the class room with a gun.

I feel so bad for these kids. To sit there and know you are going to die, just awful. I don't know maybe I'm to pissed off about this to talk about it objectively.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »
A girl who was in the classroom said the shooter stood at the door firing into the seating. If they ran at the guy to "jump" him wouldn't they get shot? Pretty much would mean running directly into the line of fire. Pretty unreasonable to expect these kids to be anything but in total shock. A mass murder at 10 am out of the blue is not a common thing. There was 29 kids in the classroom if 24 where killed and 4 lived including the girl who told the horrific story. How many where women?

She said she and the only 4 survivors held the door shut when he tried to come back in for a third time to kill them. I know how hard it is to react to a car swerving into your lane out of the blue. Imagine a guy standing at the door murdering everyone in the class room with a gun.

I feel so bad for these kids. To sit there and know you are going to die, just awful..............

I admit I'm a bit of a paranoid militant type :P but I think after the first person died and I realized I was seconds from checking out, I would have thrown desks, chairs, bodies, books, pencils, anything.

I do feel horrible for them.  That school should have been shut down at 7:30 AM

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »

"We have to charge him!  He can't shoot us all unless we stay in place like sitting ducks!"

Every classroom needs 2 doors.

body88

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
I admit I'm a bit of a paranoid militant type :P but I think after the first person died and I realized I was seconds from checking out, I would have thrown desks, chairs, bodies, books, pencils, anything.

I do feel horrible for them.  That school should have been shut down at 7:30 AM

Agree 100 percent. There is going to be hell to pay for that.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »
I'm making no effort to follow the "emerging details" of this story. You mean to tell me he stood in the doorway and shot them one by one?

Making all due allowances for shock and the embarrassment of having soiled myself, I still have to think that if I'm alive when he stops to reload, I'll charge him and take my chances.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
Hell Ya!!!!  :o
w

body88

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
I'm making no effort to follow the "emerging details" of this story. You mean to tell me he stood in the doorway and shot them one by one?

Making all due allowances for shock and the embarrassment of having soiled myself, I still have to think that if I'm alive when he stops to reload, I'll charge him and take my chances.

The girl said he stood in the door and started shooting. She then said he ran out of the room and came back in when he heard people talking and killed all but four people. She said she was playing dead (which saved her)The class was a german course. No idea the percentage of females in the class. My guess was most the students where in total shock when they watched there fellow students being shot in the head out of the blue. If he had large clips he could have had as many as 19 rounds in each gun. 25 students, 38 rounds. 

According to the way the woman told the story, he killed a large amount of people then left the room totally. He then returned a few min later and killed more people when he heard voices. The third time they held the door shut while he shot into the door. The girl was talking about seeing some of the worst things you could ever imagine in the room. She also talked about laying in her fellow students blood playing dead.