Author Topic: L-Tryptophan  (Read 5811 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: L-Tryptophan
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »
got a bottle,gonna try it.

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »

BCAA blocks Tryptophan at the blood-brain-barrier, because the body takes BCAA to be more important. When you take the two together, tryptophan will lose to BCAA.

(Sorry i was sick the last few days and don't feel able to explain the shit in english yet. If you take the explanation in german or japanese i will do my best. Ask me again next week for an english version. I feel like Tarzan in the moment.)  ;D

Very good DK. You must do a bit of reading. I had forgotten about that. I read something about it's potential use in hepatic encephalopathy(yawn). Props for getting one over on the Doc. (I hope you are feeling better) But for anyone interested, although DK is correct about blood-brain-barrier, when tested on athletes bcaa/tryptophan supps didn't effect performance. (High levels of tryptophan in the circulation have neen associated with fatigue in sport.
regards,
the Doc :)
The Dude Abides

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
L-Tryptophan isn't available anymore by itself as a supplement (some early 90's left wing health ban shit, produced from bacteria and couple of batches were dirty)

You might be talking about 5-HTP, which is a derivative. Very good to increase your mood indeed. Raise Serotinine levels very fast. Also good for insomnia if taken  before bedtime.

My favorite combo is 50mg 5-HTP + 6mg of Melatonin, 30mins before going to bed. Knocked the fuck out!
Dude, you can get it anywhere.  They put it back on the market.  5-htp did absolutely nothing for me when I tried it.  The real stuff feels like Prozac!

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 04:22:48 PM »
You'll have to explain that one ::). Tryptophan is the amino acid in turkey that makes everyone sleepy after christmas dinner.

Recent studies have shown that the amount of tryptophan in a serving of turkey is minimal, at least not enough to provide a sedative effect.  They say the reason people feel tired after turkey, is not the turkey itself, but the fact that their blood sugar has lowered due to the large meal, thus they feel tired.   I get tired after eating any kind of big meal, whether it be turkey, Chinese food, or whatever.

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:32 PM »
My remedy for sleep is:

1500mg Valerian Root, 9mg of Melatonin & a cup of Sleepytime Tea.  If this doesn't work......uh, ok I am not going to go there. ;) Figure it out for yourself.

Jade   

SPOLICE

• Getbig I
  • The Supplement Police are on the case.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
I need to find somewhere to get me some. I always wake up a few times during the night, would be nice to just be knocked out all night without sleeping pills which I have used before.
I

Alex23

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »
I need to find somewhere to get me some. I always wake up a few times during the night, would be nice to just be knocked out all night without sleeping pills which I have used before.

Try melatonin... 6mg will do the trick.

Available at Walmart :)

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
Try melatonin... 6mg will do the trick.

Available at Walmart :)

i heard ZMA does the trick also...

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
i heard ZMA does the trick also...

I have that but havn't taken it in a while since I have been eating before bed and you have to take it on an empty stomach.
I

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
You guys do realize that with all of these "natural remedies" you're gonna have to take a much higher dose to get the benefit of the doubt to build muscle since they're not steroids?
#

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »
Is'nt that the stuff in turkey?

I've read that the sleep benefits of tryptophan from eating turkey (the foul not the country) are not verifiable and that it should be taken as a supplement for such purposes.

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »
My remedy for sleep is:

1500mg Valerian Root, 9mg of Melatonin & a cup of Sleepytime Tea.  If this doesn't work......uh, ok I am not going to go there. ;) Figure it out for yourself.
Jade   

If I guess right do I get a prize? ;) ;D 8)
\

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
You guys do realize that with all of these "natural remedies" you're gonna have to take a much higher dose to get the benefit of the doubt to build muscle since they're not steroids?
Dude, where in this thread does it say that it's for building muscle??  It helps you get a good night sleep.  If you dont have a sleeping problem fine, but I'm sure a lot of people on here do which is why I posted this.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
My remedy for sleep is:

Jade   

holy shit 9mg. of melatonin :o i take 2mg. and i'm out.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
Just don't take it together with BCAA, because BCAA block tryptophan.

correct....all 4 aminos are in the same "large neutral" amino class. They require the same transport system across the blood brain barrier and therefore compete. You may get some tryptophan across....but much less than if you distanced it away from the BCAA by 3 hours or so.

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »
If I guess right do I get a prize? ;) ;D 8)

Hey, you won!  Call me to collect your prize, k? ;)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 09:36:11 AM »
i'm not a big supplement person but i have had trouble sleeping so i ordered some of this stuff. after using it for 1 week i have been sleeping much better and deeper. i wake up feeling alot more energy as well. just wanted to add my .02

8)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 04:37:09 PM »
How much Tryptophan have you been taking before bed?  Where did you get it?  Give me a link.  Thanks!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »
How much Tryptophan have you been taking before bed?  Where did you get it?  Give me a link.  Thanks!

http://www.supplementdirect.com/?content=52&product_id=14767

i take two scoops with a small "shot" of apple juice before i get ready for bed.

i will say one thing, this stuff gives you very vivid and crazy dreams!

8)

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »
http://www.supplementdirect.com/?content=52&product_id=14767

i take two scoops with a small "shot" of apple juice before i get ready for bed.

i will say one thing, this stuff gives you very vivid and crazy dreams!

8)
It sure does!!

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 06:13:17 AM »
I just bought some yesterday and I took two capsules (1,000mg) right before bed and I slept like a baby!  Feel great today too!  What's the deal with taking it with fruit juice or avoiding protein with it?

I didn't take it with any juice, and had it about 2 hours after dinner (white chicken chili with tons of protein)...  Still worked great!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 09:15:51 AM »
I just bought some yesterday and I took two capsules (1,000mg) right before bed and I slept like a baby!  Feel great today too!  What's the deal with taking it with fruit juice or avoiding protein with it?

I didn't take it with any juice, and had it about 2 hours after dinner (white chicken chili with tons of protein)...  Still worked great!

Certain Amino's and proteins block the absorption or something like that. it has all the info on the website i posted. taking it with fruit juice helps get it into the body faster and for effective.

i wouldn't worry about it too much.

8)