Author Topic: Clemens back to NY Yankees...for $4.5 million a month  (Read 4386 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Clemens back to NY Yankees...for $4.5 million a month
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »
I wasn't aware you lived around Boston. You must get sick of hearing about the Sox all the time. I know that if I lived in or around NYC I'd get sick of hearing about the Yanks. There are obnoxious fans on both sides that are hard to stomach. I imagine you listening to WEEI would be like me listening to FAN. Do you call into the Mustard and Johnson program on Saturday morning with Mike from Canton?

Lol!  I don't call into the Mustard and Johnson show, but I listen, and am very familiar with Mike from Canton.  I know how he gets under everyone's skin.  The problem is, most of the other Yankee fans who call in are complete morons, and the wait time for unknown callers is off the charts.  I got through to D&C the other day in about 40 seconds - I couldn't believe it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding Beckett, he's looked so good this year I'm hoping the changes he made from last year will last. He seems to be a smarter pitcher than he was last year. Last night was a perfect example, the lead off hitter against him hit a homerun and the next batter hit a double and it looked like he would have a rough game. He calmed down and pitched beautifully for the next 6 innings and didn't give up another run or allow another runner to reach scoring position.

He's got the stuff to be one of the best, we'll see if he has the head for it.

Beckett so far has been lights out.  He's always been touted to be the next big thing, and, although most Yankee fans don't like to admit it, was more highly regarded than Phil Hughes, and has better pure stuff.   I got to sit in the front row for the third game in August when he pitched against Johnson.  His fastball appeared to be 10mph faster than Johnosn's.  It was sick.

I always thought it was nonsense that he just didn't know how to pitch stuff and relied too much on his fastball.  I think he throws too many fastballs when he can't throw anything else for strikes.  If Beckett has command and control of his curveball, he's very, very good.  Certain nights he doesn't have it, and goes to the fastball too much.  This year so far, he's had that command and control, and we've seen the results.  Getting through Toronto last night after giving up the leadoff HR speaks volumes.  We'll see if his body can take it as the season goes on, but I don't blame sox fans for being optimistic.  Who wouldn't?  He's a CY candidate right now.

BTW, the Yanks offense is starting to mash like we all knew they would. When they're firing on all cylinders they are FRIGHTENING. There are literally no weak hitters. It's amazing. 

Yes, hopefully with their starting three healthy, they won't loose any more games where they score 8-11 runs.  ARod's April was half pissed away because of their starting pitching.  The Yankees have a lot of work to do.

By the way, I hate cardio too.  Hate it.
Y

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »
Lol!  I don't call into the Mustard and Johnson show, but I listen, and am very familiar with Mike from Canton.  I know how he gets under everyone's skin.  The problem is, most of the other Yankee fans who call in are complete morons, and the wait time for unknown callers is off the charts.  I got through to D&C the other day in about 40 seconds - I couldn't believe it.

Beckett so far has been lights out.  He's always been touted to be the next big thing, and, although most Yankee fans don't like to admit it, was more highly regarded than Phil Hughes, and has better pure stuff.   I got to sit in the front row for the third game in August when he pitched against Johnson.  His fastball appeared to be 10mph faster than Johnosn's.  It was sick.

I always thought it was nonsense that he just didn't know how to pitch stuff and relied too much on his fastball.  I think he throws too many fastballs when he can't throw anything else for strikes.  If Beckett has command and control of his curveball, he's very, very good.  Certain nights he doesn't have it, and goes to the fastball too much.  This year so far, he's had that command and control, and we've seen the results.  Getting through Toronto last night after giving up the leadoff HR speaks volumes.  We'll see if his body can take it as the season goes on, but I don't blame sox fans for being optimistic.  Who wouldn't?  He's a CY candidate right now.

Yes, hopefully with their starting three healthy, they won't loose any more games where they score 8-11 runs.  ARod's April was half pissed away because of their starting pitching.  The Yankees have a lot of work to do.

By the way, I hate cardio too.  Hate it.

I actually don't mind Mike from Canton, he's pretty entertaining. That other guy from the North End and Frank from Gloucester are like caricatures though, they're a little too much to take. That's hilarious that you got through to D&C, what time was it and what did you talk about, maybe I heard you. Callahan drives me nuts with his Right Wing Propaganda and hate. I can only take so much of it before I have to turn it off.

I went to the fifth game in that series when Wells pitched. It was tough to witness the Sox quit like that.

How are your minor league prospects looking? Any up and coming pitchers that can replace Mussina and Pettite in the near future? How much longer do you figure Rivera has as a dominant closer? He's been lights out for so long it's somewhat strange to see him struggle. He'll be the first pure closer to go into the HOF.

I don't know what Kasmir from the Devil Rays contract looks like but I can see you guys making a run for him. I always liked that kid, he's got balls the size of bowling balls and he's got great stuff. I'd love to have him on the Sox.

The Yankees are coming around, getting good pitching and great offense. Stay tuned for a great summer of baseball.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »

Do you guys think the Yankees did this in order to shift all the pressure onto Clemens and AWAY from Arod?

Besides, Arod has to be on steroids.  Wasn't he on a pace to hit 120 homers 20 games into the season??

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
Fucking 30 million for 20 starts..  :o

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
as a lifelong yankee fan and clemons fan,, i have to say this is one of the lowest, cheapest, classless moves ive ever seen the yankees make.. im sitting at the game when this shit was announced.. i thought it was cool when it was announced on the scoreboard,, but the rest was stupid.. they made it look like clemons was comming to save the yankees -my ass.. he gives a speech at the game -what the fuck was that... then everyone says "welcome home roger".. ny is not his home,, hes a texan till he dies. he came here for nothing more then money.. then they give him the option to come and go as he pleases.. he can pitch on monday, then go home to texas and come back to pitch on saturday.. that is not how the yankees work -how desperate can they be

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
Do you guys think the Yankees did this in order to shift all the pressure onto Clemens and AWAY from Arod?

That's insane.  They did it because he's the best available pitcher out there, and they need another starter.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 06:46:46 AM »
I actually don't mind Mike from Canton, he's pretty entertaining. That other guy from the North End and Frank from Gloucester are like caricatures though, they're a little too much to take. That's hilarious that you got through to D&C, what time was it and what did you talk about, maybe I heard you. Callahan drives me nuts with his Right Wing Propaganda and hate. I can only take so much of it before I have to turn it off.

I went to the fifth game in that series when Wells pitched. It was tough to witness the Sox quit like that.

How are your minor league prospects looking? Any up and coming pitchers that can replace Mussina and Pettite in the near future? How much longer do you figure Rivera has as a dominant closer? He's been lights out for so long it's somewhat strange to see him struggle. He'll be the first pure closer to go into the HOF.

I don't know what Kasmir from the Devil Rays contract looks like but I can see you guys making a run for him. I always liked that kid, he's got balls the size of bowling balls and he's got great stuff. I'd love to have him on the Sox.

The Yankees are coming around, getting good pitching and great offense. Stay tuned for a great summer of baseball.

I don't mind Mike from Canton, but Joey for the North End is everything bad about Yankee fans rolled into one guy.   Frank is just a goof - I've actually seen him a couple of times.  It was easy to figure out it was him - Yankee hat, Yankee jacket with the Foxy Lady on one side and WEEI on the other.

I called D&C when the Yankee were bringing up Hughes.  Callahan was lambasting the Yankees front office, calling them hypocrites because they had said that they were going to take it slow, and that a bad start could destroy the kids pysche.  I said the Yankees weren't hypocrites, they were just filling a need, and asked how it was any different from the sox making Papelbon their closer in ST after they said he was  medically unfit to do so.    I then said that all the scouting on Hughes said it was his mental makeup as much as his stuff that's going to make him good and a bad start wouldn't affect him.  Callahan sort of gave me that point, but it turned out that he did have a bad start, but then followed it up with 6 1/3 no hit innings before the hammy strain.  So fuck you Callahan.

As far as the minors other than Hughes, the Yankees have a coulple of guys coming up that could problaly pitch in the majors.  Humberto Sanchez , whom the Yankees got in the Sheffield deal, was the #4 prospect in Detrot's organization, but has health issues.  Tyler Clippard is good, but I don't think he projects to be more than a #3.  Joba Chamberlain is a young guy who throws gas and has been doing well.

None of these guys compare to Hughes, who we've been watching for a couple years now.

As for Rivera, I really don't know since I've only seen him a handful of times.  In the past, having watched him for 10 years, I could tell when he was going to have a bad outing when his cutter had no movement - lke the  Friday game against Bostn.    Sometimes pitchers just don't have their stuff.   What I did notice this year was he didn't have the pinpoint control that he normally does, and left balls up in the zone.  I don't think he's done by a longshot, since his velocity is still good.  I hope to see some more  games so I can tell.

Kazmir is good, and was a horrible trade for the Mets.  Their rotation would be much better with him.
Y

body88

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 08:34:38 AM »
That's insane.  They did it because he's the best available pitcher out there, and they need another starter.

I agree. They have the money, so why not spend it.