Author Topic: the routine i've been on  (Read 1319 times)

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
the routine i've been on
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
about six weeks ago i started a new routine its got quite a bit of volume almost no rest between sets and training only once a week.

chest is 18 sets starting with incline barbell and incline dumbell press to flat bench and flat dumbells from there to dumbell flyes incline then flat

triceps is weighted bench dips, close grip pushdowns, skullcrushers,and overhead dumbell ext.

shoulders seated barbell press seated dumbell press dumbell side raises and bent over db raises

traps is barbell shrug and dumbell shrug and behind the back shrugging

biceps barbell curl, e-z bars, dumbell hammers, and preacher dumbells

abs is one arm dumbell deads, the twisting crunch(no clue the name of it), flat standard crunches, decline crunches, leg raises, and the ab wheel.

for back pullups,bent over rows(overhand grip) bent over rows(underhand grip) deads, one arm dumbell rows and and pull downs behind the neck.

legs squats(wide stance) squats(close stance) leg press, leg extensions, leg curl, and then five sets of calf toe presses off the edge of the leg press

1 warm up set then 3 working sets unless otherwise noted 30 seconds rest between sets, and thats the week. i'm only hitting each part once a week and other than the warm up everything is to failure last sets of each exercise to failure count of ten and then partial holds.

doing that i've went from a measly 225 max to a 280 max for bench working sets start at 250.

best curl is a barbell 130 pnder for reps as opposed to my before 110.

working dumbell sets with the 50's for biceps instead of 35's.

thats being only 15 y/o. following a better diet lately and stickin to it. plenty of rest.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: the routine i've been on
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:49:18 AM »
Lots of your exercises are redundant,ie.

barbell shrug and dumbell shrug and behind the back shrug

bent over rows(overhand grip) bent over rows(underhand grip)one arm dumbell rows

squats(wide stance) squats(close stance)

seated barbell press seated dumbell press]/b]

No way do you need to do this much volume,especially at your age which must mean you haven`t been training for too many years yet.

Also,your routine is structured wrong in lots of places................yo u do heavy basics after other exercises which will hinder your performance on the basics.

Bottom line is,that if you`re gaining,it`s great, but it probably won`t last too long after your body becomes more accustomed to the volume.

Not trying to bash you,just trying to give constructive criticism.

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »
Lots of your exercises are redundant,ie.

barbell shrug and dumbell shrug and behind the back shrug

bent over rows(overhand grip) bent over rows(underhand grip)one arm dumbell rows

squats(wide stance) squats(close stance)

seated barbell press seated dumbell press]/b]

No way do you need to do this much volume,especially at your age which must mean you haven`t been training for too many years yet.

Also,your routine is structured wrong in lots of places................yo u do heavy basics after other exercises which will hinder your performance on the basics.

Bottom line is,that if you`re gaining,it`s great, but it probably won`t last too long after your body becomes more accustomed to the volume.

Not trying to bash you,just trying to give constructive criticism.

constructive critisicism is somethin i can actually appreciate. so what are some recommendations you might make?

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »

doing that i've went from a measly 225 max to a 280 max for bench working sets start at 250.

best curl is a barbell 130 pnder for reps as opposed to my before 110.

working dumbell sets with the 50's for biceps instead of 35's.

thats being only 15 y/o. following a better diet lately and stickin to it. plenty of rest.

You are a little young to be putting up that much weight.  If you crack a growth plate you could end up with one arm stuck at its current length while the other one continues to grow normally over the next 6 years.  It is much safer to lower the weight and focus on your form.  Around 17/18 y/o is when you can start trying to put up some bigger weight.  You just need to back off a little until you are close to adult skeletal maturity.  Be safe and good luck.

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:09:15 AM »
if your getting results stick with it.  also alot of people respond better with pre-exhausting workouts.  if you stop progressing then chane it up, till then stick with it.  as for the redundant excersizes, i would do 4 working sets and just switch the grips each time, or something of that nature.  thats some crazy weights at 15.
you suck at life...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »
For example,I would do one shrugging exercise...........overd eveloped traps will give you a sloped shoulder look.

One pressing exercise followed by more lateral deltoid head work to concentrate more on width,and one rear delt exercise since it is often neglected, and hard to "feel" for most people as they usually go too heavy.

As far as legs go,squat hard and heavy one week (5-10 reps),do higher reps the next week(10,15,20,15,12),and do leg press the following week followed by or Super-Setted with Hack Squats.

You do not need 18 sets for chest....that`s more than most professional bodybuilders would do on gear........cut it to 10-12 and just work harder,ie. less rest between sets and work on form over just big weights.benck,db inclines,flyes-4 sets each is all you need if you`re busting balls.

Biceps are a small muscle that get hit indirectly with back work.....3 x 12,10,8 on bb curls,followed by a lighter set of 15 and 3 sets of prechers will be enough.....just be intense and get in and out of the gym in the shortest possible amount of time.....in other words focus and don`t be distracted or do a lot of talking between sets..same for triceps-skullcrushers-5 x 12,10,8,6,15,followed by pressdowns-4 x 12,10,8,20.

Back-pulldowns or chins-4 sets,bb rows or t-bar rows-4 sets,seated cable rows-4 sets,deads-4-5 sets

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:49:39 PM »
thanx wes i'll give it a shot. the rest of ya its all appreciated as well. the weights yea its pretty good for 15 hopin to hit a 400 bench by the time i'm 17 got a year and a half to go. i think its possible especially considering about a year ago i was only doin like 115 for bench. so i've come quite a ways and hoping to go further. just trying to do it smartly which is why i post here and get all the advice i can.