Author Topic: Another GVT question...  (Read 1216 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Another GVT question...
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:21:47 PM »
I put this in the other thread about GVT, but decided to start a new one to get more responses.

I'm thinking about giving this style of training a go, so could someone have a look at the following routine and give me some thoughts:-

SUN   - Deadlifts 10x10
MON  - Bench Press 10x10
           Chins 10x10      (or pulldowns depending on whether I can acheive 10 for 10 sets!)
WED  - Squats 10x10
THUR - Incline Press 10x10
           Barbell Row 10x10

The reason for doing Deads on the Sunday is that I workout at home, and can only get to the gym for legs once a week.  I figured the deads would still work the legs, whilst not affecting the following days workout?

Also, I would swop the priority of the exercises each week.  (i.e. Week 1, chest then back.  Week 2, back then chest.)

Cheers!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Another GVT question...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »
You may want to reread any information about the GVT before laying out a weekly workout plan. Get the basic theory about this principle. And the key elements that make up the system. Moderate to light weight used throughout the total 10 sets. In other words, GVT is a system of doing 100 reps broken down to 10 divisions (sets) of a total workout, with the same weight used. One compound movements per muscle area. Not 2, or more exercises, to make up 10 sets. You want to achieve max recruitment of the muscle units of that selected muscle area with the same exercise. Not something like it, but the same movement. You are bring more blood into the ares and training (in so many words) a muscle(s) nerve response/motor units to adapt and get stronger and bigger. Switching exercise during the basic 10 sets defeats the main purpose of this method of training. Try between 90 to 120 seconds between sets of any compound exercise done.

Example:

Monday
Chest...One big boy compound exercise and nothing else. Bench, inclines & dips are top ones..take your pick.

Wednsday
Legs...The first selection would be squats or front squats. Than BB Hack squats or leg presses. No leg extensions.

Friday.
Back...chins, lat machines, BB rows.

Really not required to do any direct arm work on this system, but human nature being what it is, some people will. If so, than do 2-3 sets of triceps on chest day and 2-3 sets of curls on back day. You will not need any extra shoulder or trap work on this system for now. If you wanted to focus on shoulder at this time, than drop the chest exercises and do military presses. More than enough of an exercise to build huge shoulders.

This is only one version of GVT.There are at least a half a dozen, or more, forms I can think of off the top of my head.You can do back and chest in the same workout and even SS them for 10X10's. Or shoulders & traps, quads & hams, etc.

But no matter what form or selection of GVT you select it is always with moderate weight for the full 10X10's. I made some very good results by just doing the bent arm pullover and press for GVT. That was my only upper body work each week. For legs it was the old BB Hack, which affects my quads greatly. Good Luck.
F

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »
JPM, what do you think of GVT for Hang Cleans or Clean and Presses for say 10 sets of 6?  I would imagine your traps and shoulder's/upper back would get dense/thick ass hell w/ that method for a 6 week span or so...thoughts?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »
No offense Greg2112 but your a prime example of a person who is not reading correctly, not understanding what he reads or just wants to tweak any program his way. I'm going for the latter in your case. 10 sets of 6 reps is not the original concept of GVT. There are other programs of 8X8's, 7X7's (another of my favorites) & 5X5's. There is also a program of 10X3's for lifters. but it is not GVT. Clean & presses will work for any of the combinations listed above  but you may get different results. You want 100 overall reps, not 64, 49,25 or even 30 heavier reps.. GVT is just another form of doing 100's.

Try doing 10X10's, with a lighter weight, for hang cleans (probably would be better done in a power rack or on a set of heavy lifting boxes) can be excellent for this method of training. The C&P is an outstanding shoulder and trap mass builder. Also affects the arms well. You might find that a jerk press would be more suited with cleans, than military presses,  when applied to GVT.

Example (that's all): Say that a normal C&P would be 200 for 10 reps, for you. Might use 135 and see how that feels. After stopping at the first 10 reps, you should be able to do at least 4 or more with a little effort, but do not. Wait 90 or 120 seconds (If you must..some guy's are not in the shape they think they are) and do another set. After a few sets more ,that original 135 is not going to feel that easy.   You want 10 true reps ( not 9...not 11) each set. Surprisingly, the 7 and 8 set may seem easier and than the 9th & 10 that much harder.  Cleans and Hi-Pulls work well also. DL's can be great for a total back development. Good Luck.
F