Author Topic: Questions on fish  (Read 2919 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Questions on fish
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »
I started eating fish for my diet, is there a difference as to what is the most effective, has the highest omega 3's etc. I have been eating red snapper and tilapia, are these pretty good? Also when I cook fish and refridgerate it, how long will it keep if it's kept cold? TY

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Questions on fish
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
I started eating fish for my diet, is there a difference as to what is the most effective, has the highest omega 3's etc. I have been eating red snapper and tilapia, are these pretty good? Also when I cook fish and refridgerate it, how long will it keep if it's kept cold? TY

i wouldnt even eat fish becuase of its mercury levels. the government doesnt give a fuck about you. you gotta look for the tested stuff. just take omega 3's
A

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »
i wouldnt even eat fish becuase of its mercury levels. the government doesnt give a fuck about you. you gotta look for the tested stuff. just take omega 3's

Well this is all saltwater fish from what I know, so in theory they have low mercury levels correct? I was under the impression only freshwater fish and tuna have high mercury levels.

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:02:30 PM »
what kind of mercury levels are we talking about here with tuna????
Odilly

Luga74

• Getbig II
  • If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle......
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:45:10 PM »
Tuna does have a high concentration of mercury. More than the other common eaten fish. But you have to eat loads of for it to be a concern. My 82 yr old grandfather was just put on an all fish diet and doctor also suggested he take Omega 3 for his heart. So can't be all that much concern in regards to amount of fish. I wouldn't eat fish 4 times a day but once daily plus an Omega 3 I assume would be fine.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:54:10 PM »
I dont think there is a single documented case of someone getting mercury poisoning from fish.  However, Tilapia is shit and it almost always comes from some filthy fish farm in Thailand somewhere.  Red Snapper is usually okay.  Ling cod, wild salmon, petrale sole, monkfish, whiting, haddock and seabass are some others you might want to try.

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the quality of Tilapia.  I would be more worried about the quality of McDonald's chicken nuggets or hamburger meat.  :-X

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 02:06:47 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the quality of Tilapia.  I would be more worried about the quality of McDonald's chicken nuggets or hamburger meat.  :-X
You shouldnt eat chicken nuggets anyway.  Ground beef can be perfect depending on the source.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »
Yes if it smells like fish it's a dish..... Oh wait I didn't read your original post :-[
I

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 03:11:56 AM »
Another question that maybe someone could answer.... Do the omega 3 supplements have mercury issues? and how much is too much?

Nah most all companies make sure the mercury levels are practically untraceable, usually it says something about it on the bottle.
I

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:33:39 AM »
just take some redmeat and store it in old unwashed vagina and you will have fish.

the ancient kings knew this

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 04:58:53 AM »
I bought a goldfish recently to entertain my cat but my cat has no interest in it so I am looking for someone that may want it. Maybe you can eat him, he's about an inch long. Thats about 2 grams of protein right there.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 04:59:35 AM »
I bought a goldfish recently to entertain my cat but my cat has no interest in it so I am looking for someone that may want it. Maybe you can eat him, he's about an inch long. Thats about 2 grams of protein right there.

haha is that homo code?

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 05:01:42 AM »
what kind of mercury levels are we talking about here with tuna????

It's more to do with older tuna like Albacore. Since most of you mutherfuckers are cheap I'm sure you eat chunk light
$

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 05:11:05 AM »

Just die please. All advice you give is BS.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 05:16:37 AM »
I dont think there is a single documented case of someone getting mercury poisoning from fish.

That's becuase mercury poisoning is very hard to detect.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 05:40:24 AM »

haha is that homo code?

no but I see the humour. Your like Jay Leno you can make a gay joke out of anything. You should work for him.

BigSexy50

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 06:40:52 AM »

Orange roughy and Tilapia are very inexpensive, high inprotein, easy to cook, and not as fishly tasting as Tuna, they are both very light whitefish. Both awesome additions to your diet, I believe Tuna is the best, but if you are looking fro an ealternative these two are great.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 07:44:28 AM »
Mercury levels in most fish aren't that high.  Albacore tuna is definitely higher than chunk light.  A good general rule of thumb is that the mercury levels are higher in the big fish that eat the smaller fish. 

But for O-3's, tilapia is ok but it doesn't have a lot of fat.  The fish with more fat will have more O3's, such as salmon and cod.  It's funny how tuna cans now say "a good source of Omega 3 fats" or something like that and when you read the nutrition label, you realize that there is the equivalent of one fish oil capsule in the whole can. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »
Just die please. All advice you give is BS.

LMFAO! SIG'D!

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:31 AM »
Probably worrying about it worse for your health, relax. People trying to live their lives to meticulously have higher stress levels.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 08:44:40 AM »
I eat 10 cans of tuna per week, salmon twice per week, pollock twice per week, take 6-9 g of fish oil per day and occasionally have sushi.  I've been doing this for years without problem.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »

dont worry about fish, its good food, every one of them.  you need to eat fat fish. fat fish is actually better for fat loss than low-fat fish. it sounds strange but it is so, the fat-fish contains much more omega 3, and omega 3 is proven that ehlps fat loss, muscle-gain, omega 3 is also good for your brain, brain consists of 8 % of omega 3. it can prevent depression, and some other deseases. omega 3 makes you horny!

so just look up fat fishes all sorts of it, than you cant go wrong, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines. if you re taking omega 3 oil, make sure you get plenty of vitamin E in your diet, especially if you re using over 20 ml a day. im taking 50 ml a day of omega 3/6/9 

15 ml contains
6 gr omega 3
3 gr omega 6
3 gr omega 9

but im going to switch to only omega 3 with a maximum 50 ml a day. i started using it for gyno-problem. i lost a lot of fat of it, in just a month. with omega 3 you have to cycle your way up start with 10 ml a day. each week add 10 ml to that. and then stick with 50 ml a day. But if you re on an antidepressiv medicin like me you have to be careful, eating sardines. my antidepressiv doesnt work that well, but in combination with omega 3 it works fantastic, i feel great.  only problem now is, when i add fish to my diet, i tried sardines in can, but men, i get sick, is like im on drugs. so ill have to find the right fish for myself.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 04:05:55 PM »
I eat 10 cans of tuna per week, salmon twice per week, pollock twice per week, take 6-9 g of fish oil per day and occasionally have sushi.  I've been doing this for years without problem.

;)
:

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
Our waters are so polluted with so much industrial waste and high levels of PCBs, that it is destroying our ecosystem making our fish unsafe to eat. What the fish eat, you eat!!!

About Farmed Fish: As our oceans are being fished out( to use a fisherman's term) and toxic, the environmental situation and demand for fish, forever considered a healthy food, has resulted in a boom of fish farms. Unfortunately, eating farm-fish isn't as safe as it may sound. Most of the fish you buy and eat is from fish farms. Fish farming methods are quite similar to those of commercial cattle industry. As with cattle, the fish are fed grains and soy and are given a wide range of antibiotic drugs and other drugs. As a result, farm-raised fish are likely to contain residues of wide variety of animal drugs, some which are carcinogenic. The farms are near some industrial complexes near the same coast lines, so you run the risk of eating fish that is high in pesticides and industrial chemical residues. Most chemicals found in farmed-fish or ocean waters are dangerous DDTs.

Swordfish, Tuna, Shark and other deep water fish ( particularly the bigger ones) accumulate more mercury than the smaller ones because they tend to have shorter life spans. Today, many of these fish, fresh off the boat have been found to have mercury levels so high that eating them more than once a week is considered dangerous by most health experts. The greatest concern appears to be fish from the inland waters of the U.S. Midwest and the state of Florida.

Avoid fresh water fish unless it comes from high mountain lakes and streams, far from commercial enterprises. Avoid farm-raised fish. In addition to everything I wrote, there is a difference in the omega3:6 fatty acid ratios in farm fish and are about the same as a cage-raised chicken egg. Typically, this is between 16 and 30 omega-6 for every 1 omega-3 fat molecule. That's way off.

Also, the parasites in fish is very high. You are putting yourself at risk when eating raw fish. You most likely will get some form of parasite into your system that is very difficult to get out.

THIS IS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE:

My favorite: