Author Topic: Carter attacks Blair for 'blind' support of US in Iraq  (Read 3118 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Carter attacks Blair for 'blind' support of US in Iraq
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 04:59:55 AM »
True, on the other hand i don't think he was quite as harsh/stark in his wording, and it was postumous, coming from a third party. Not the same effect.

Seeing as Ford is more widely respected than Carter, its impact was larger in the judgment aspect, albeit posthumously.

ex Prezs very rarely judge current admins.  For two of them - plus Bush41's comments - to speak out on it is big.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »
Jimmy Carter Backtracks on Calling Bush Administration Worst in U.S. History
Monday, May 21, 2007

CRAWFORD, Texas —  Former President Jimmy Carter backed off Monday from harshly critical comments he made of President Bush over the weekend after the White House offered a biting rebuke to the former president by calling him "increasingly irrelevant."

"My remarks were maybe careless or misinterpreted but I wasn't comparing the overall administration and certainly not talking about anyone personally," Carter said in an interview Monday when asked to explain.

The comments "were interpreted as comparing this whole administration to all other administrations when what I was actually doing was responding to a question about foreign policy between [President Richard] Nixon and this administration, and I think that this administration's foreign policy compared to Nixon's was much worse. ... I wasn't comparing this administration with other administrations throughout history but just with President Nixon's," he told NBC's "The Today Show."

Carter, whose administration was plagued by sky-high inflation and a 444-day American hostage crisis in Iran, was filling in a quote Saturday in which he said, "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."

Former President Carter Blasts Bush's Administration as 'Worst in History' The Georgia Democrat said Bush had overseen an "overt reversal of America's basic values" as epressed by previous administrations, including that of his own farther, former President George H.W. Bush.

Carter made the comments to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's Saturday editions. On Sunday, the White House bit back.

"I think it's sad that President Carter's reckless personal criticism is out there," White House spokesman Tony Fratto responded from Crawford, Texas, where Bush spent the weekend.

"I think it's unfortunate," Fratto said. "And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments."

. . .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274140,00.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »
It doesn't change the truth of the matter...no matter who said it.   Very sad.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 08:45:34 AM »
Seeing as Ford is more widely respected than Carter, its impact was larger in the judgment aspect, albeit posthumously.

ex Prezs very rarely judge current admins.  For two of them - plus Bush41's comments - to speak out on it is big.

Ford was not more widely respected, this is your interpretation. The "impact" from Ford's comments was far lower, actually.

Too bad Carter backtracked there was no reason and won't change the effect. :D