Author Topic: UH OH BODY88---DIDN'T YOU AND I DISCUSS THIS AWHILE BACK??  (Read 2495 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
UH OH BODY88---DIDN'T YOU AND I DISCUSS THIS AWHILE BACK??
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
Disgruntled Patriots corner Samuel sits out minicamp
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2007, 12:27 PM ET

New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel says he won't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp, starting Tuesday. Or training camp this summer. Or the first 10 weeks of regular season games.

Samuel, disgruntled after being assigned the team's "franchise" tag, was a no-show at the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament on Monday at the The International Golf Club in Bolton, Mass. Reached by phone afterward, he told The Boston Globe he is unhappy with the lack of progress in contract talks with the team.

"I'm not coming to camp," he told the newspaper. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

The prospect of a star player avoiding camp over money is not new for the Patriots. Last offseason, wide receiver Deion Branch sat out camp over his unhappiness with contract talks and was eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

Samuel has yet to sign the one-year, $7.79 million contract he was tendered when the Patriots franchised him, so he is technically not under contract and cannot be fined for missing minicamp. Under the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union, if a deal isn't reached by the afternoon of July 15, he can sign only a one-year deal and cannot have his contract extended until the regular season ends.

If he shows up for Week 10, Samuel will receive a pro-rated portion of that $7.79 million salary. If he sits out the entire year, he'll get nothing -- and the Patriots will be able to put the franchise tag on him again for 2008.

"He's not coming to camp until a contract resolution can be reached," his agent, Alonzo Shavers, told the Boston Herald on Monday. "Nothing more can be said. His status has not changed. There has been no movement toward a deal."

Samuel is looking for a richer contract after a breakout 2006 season, in which he had 10 interceptions and 65 tackles and became considered one of the NFL's elite cornerbacks.

His teammates said Monday they are ready to move ahead, with or without Samuel.

"If he doesn't come [to minicamp], we have to move on," nose tackle Vince Wilfork told the Globe. "I would love to have him here, but on the same token, we have to move on."

"Asante has enough experience to realize that this is a business and it's not personal," added safety Rodney Harrison. "Coach [Bill] Belichick and Mr. [Robert] Kraft, they're going to do what is in the best interests of this team. .. At the same time, we do miss Asante. He's a good guy, a great player, and we miss having him back. Hopefully, in the near future, they can work things out and he'll be here."

Looks like Asante Samuel didn't appreciate the franchise tag, huh? The Ravens would be a nice fit. We have the cap space and we need a new corner since Samari Rolle is now a nickelback. I can dream can't I?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: UH OH BODY88---DIDN'T YOU AND I DISCUSS THIS AWHILE BACK??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
Disgruntled Patriots corner Samuel sits out minicamp
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2007, 12:27 PM ET
Comment
 Email
 Print
 New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel says he won't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp, starting Tuesday. Or training camp this summer. Or the first 10 weeks of regular season games.

I'm not coming to camp. I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong.
Asante Samuel

Samuel, disgruntled after being assigned the team's "franchise" tag, was a no-show at the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament on Monday at the The International Golf Club in Bolton, Mass. Reached by phone afterward, he told The Boston Globe he is unhappy with the lack of progress in contract talks with the team.

"I'm not coming to camp," he told the newspaper. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

The prospect of a star player avoiding camp over money is not new for the Patriots. Last offseason, wide receiver Deion Branch sat out camp over his unhappiness with contract talks and was eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

Samuel has yet to sign the one-year, $7.79 million contract he was tendered when the Patriots franchised him, so he is technically not under contract and cannot be fined for missing minicamp. Under the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union, if a deal isn't reached by the afternoon of July 15, he can sign only a one-year deal and cannot have his contract extended until the regular season ends.

If he shows up for Week 10, Samuel will receive a pro-rated portion of that $7.79 million salary. If he sits out the entire year, he'll get nothing -- and the Patriots will be able to put the franchise tag on him again for 2008.

"He's not coming to camp until a contract resolution can be reached," his agent, Alonzo Shavers, told the Boston Herald on Monday. "Nothing more can be said. His status has not changed. There has been no movement toward a deal."

Samuel is looking for a richer contract after a breakout 2006 season, in which he had 10 interceptions and 65 tackles and became considered one of the NFL's elite cornerbacks.

His teammates said Monday they are ready to move ahead, with or without Samuel.

"If he doesn't come [to minicamp], we have to move on," nose tackle Vince Wilfork told the Globe. "I would love to have him here, but on the same token, we have to move on."

"Asante has enough experience to realize that this is a business and it's not personal," added safety Rodney Harrison. "Coach [Bill] Belichick and Mr. [Robert] Kraft, they're going to do what is in the best interests of this team. .. At the same time, we do miss Asante. He's a good guy, a great player, and we miss having him back. Hopefully, in the near future, they can work things out and he'll be here."

Looks like Asante Samuel didn't appreciate the franchise tag, huh? The Ravens would be a nice fit. We have the cap space and we need a new corner since Samari Rolle is now a nickelback. I can dream can't I?

Dude i saw that comming a mile away. first off he plays for the pats and he had a great year....thats what they do after players have great years. the franchise them...now...i still dont understand...dude this is the nfl. if they give him a long term, its not guranteed anyway..they can restructure and cut him and all that other shit...he should take the guranteed 8mil and then move on...trust his talents...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
I agree with you but players want the security of a long term contract. What if accepts the one year franchise tender offer and has a shitty year, or worse gets injured? His one year contract is up and so is his negotiating leverage for the 2008 upcoming season. He wants a long term deal reflective of how well he played this past season.

True, NFL contracts are not guaranteed but the bonuses paid up front are. If the Patriots give him a long term deal then chances are he'll get more bonus money, performance incentive clauses, options for additional years, etc.

The Patriots had the option of putting the franchise tag on him, which is salary cap friendly. They excercised this option because the money they saved by not giving him a long term deal could now be allocated for the upcoming season. That money could be spent on waiver wire free agents, extending present contracts, or more money left over to pay the drafted rookies.

It was strictly a business decision. Samuel and his agent know this. But that won't stop him from holding out in order to get what he wants. I'd do the same exact thing if I were him.

You mentioned that he should trust his talents. That's one way to look at it but what if he gets hurt? It's in Samuel's agent's best interest to secure a long term deal. His agent clears a 5% override on the value of the contract. What do you think that agent would rather get? 5% of 8 million or 5% of 35 million over 6 years?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »
He will get bounced if he keeps this up...He's an ok corner..but he's not Champ and he should not get top corner money. I know he had as many INT's but......The Pats will not over pay him. He also wants part of any new contract guarenteed.
L

body88

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
Asante might very well sign his franchise tender. He could be bluffing because he knows the pats are not giing to be controlled by him. His demands are just to much. 80 million?! Do you guys know he is asking Nate Clements type of money? If he has beef he should take it up with the players union, and Upshaw. They are the ones who created this option for teams to use the "tag". Imagine that, a player getting mad he has to make the average of the top 5 players in the league at his position for a year. He was making chump change last year and is claiming he will turn down 8 mill guaranteed. I hope he does, then I hope they franchise his ass again. Check ouy his stats from previous years. They would warn even average Joe's like us not to overpay gigantic sums of money for Samuel. I think he is a great player , but to ignore his past and shell out like 80 million bones would be crazy. The pats know what kind of talent they have, they drafted him. He is making unfair demands. The pats offered him more then a fair deal. They also said if he took his 8 mill they would not franchise him next year. He is being greedy. Asante is a great player, but some of his success is due to a system which helps him succeed. Bill and Scott are two of the best at evaluating talent. When to pay guys and when to let them walk. I think they want him, but are not going to be taken hostage by a guy who has clearly overrated his Abilities at this point. I hope he signs because he makes us better, and he is a great player, but Champ Bailey / Clement type money? No way.

I m not worried at all. The pats had the lowest passing points allowed last year. They achieved this with Randall gay out all year with injury. Wilson injured most the year, Harrison injured most the year, and Hobbs playing with a broken left wrist. Asante was the only 100 percent healthy starter back there. I hope he shuts his face and signs his tender, but im not worried. The pats are all about the big boys on the line. They hold one of idf not the best d line in the NFL. With a healthy Harrison, Hobbs, Wilson, Gay and a big talent in Meriweather, I think they will be fine. They added some quality depth by acquiring Tory James also. I hope Asanta plays, but I would not want the pats to sell there soul to get him to play. If he is asking astronomical for 80 million bucks he can f off. I hope some bonehead team gives up the two first rounders for him. So the pats can have 3 first rounders in 08 and a extra 1st again in 09.

Guts you where right. At the time we had are convo Asanti was all over the media talking about how happy he was. His agent realised statements to espn saying the same. Ob he was lying his ass off, lol.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
Do u know what the deal they offered him looked like..The Globe said it was offered mid-may..he's not Nate Clements. I'm not worried either...BB always put them in a postion to win. With the Safeties they have Wilson can go back to corner if he has to.
L

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:48 AM »
He will get bounced if he keeps this up...He's an ok corner..but he's not Champ and he should not get top corner money. I know he had as many INT's but......The Pats will not over pay him. He also wants part of any new contract guarenteed.

He's a top corner, bro. You being a Patriots fan, I'm suprised to hear you say this. He had a tremendous year and while he may not be as good as Champ Bailey(who is?), he's one of the NFL's best at his position. You're defitnitely better off with him than without him. Cornerback is probably the most important postion on the defensive side of the ball. This is not another Deion Branch situation. Receivers are more expendable. Good cornerbacks are much more valuable to a team.

body88

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »
He's a top corner, bro. You being a Patriots fan, I'm suprised to hear you say this. He had a tremendous year and while he may not be as good as Champ Bailey(who is?), he's one of the NFL's best at his position. You're defitnitely better off with him than without him. Cornerback is probably the most important postion on the defensive side of the ball. This is not another Deion Branch situation. Receivers are more expendable. Good cornerbacks are much more valuable to a team.

I agree he is a "top" corner. But he is not worth 80 million dollars. If you look at his total body of work you would know what I mean. I have been watching Asante play since he came into the league. Look at his stats for his previous years. he did have a huge breakout year, but history tells you he is not a top echelon corner.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:17:03 AM »
Asante might very well sign his franchise tender. He could be bluffing because he knows the pats are not giing to be controlled by him.His deamnds are just to much. Do you guys know he is asking Nate Clements type of money? If he has beef he should take it up with the players union, and Upshaw. They are the ones who created this option for teams to use. Imagine that, a player getting mad he has to make the average of the top 5 players in the league for a year. he was making chump change last year and is claiming he will turn down 8 mill guaranteed. I hope he does, then I hope they franchise his ass again. he is making unfair demands. The pats offered him more then fair deal, they also said if he took his 8 mill they would not franchise him next year. He is being greedy. Asante is a great player, but some of his success is due to the system which helps him succeed.
I m not worried at all. The pats had the lowest passing points allowed last year. They achieved this with Randall gay out all year with injury. Wilson injured most the year, Harrison injured most the year, and Hobbs playing with a broken left wrist. Asante was the only 100 percent healthy starter back there. I hope he shuts his face and signs his tender, but im not worried. The pats are all about the big boys on the line. They hold one of idf not the best d line in the NFL. With a healthy Harrison, Hobbs, Wilson, Gay and a big talent in Meriweather, I think they will be fine. They added some quality depth by aquitring Tory James also. I hope Asanta plays, but I would not want the pats to sell there soul to get him to play. If he is asking astronomical for 80 million bucks he can f off. I hope some bonehead team gives up the two first rounders for him. So the pats can have 3 first rounders in 08 and a extra 1st again in 09.

Sorry Body88. Gotta disagree. He's not being greedy. If Clements set the bar with his contract, then what's to stop Samuel for asking for those kind of dollars? Statistically, he had a better year than Clements. The guy's looking for long term security. Sure 8 million is great but after the season ends, he's a player without a contract. If he plays poorly or gets injured, then his leverage is gone for future NFL suitors for the 2008 season.

His agent asked for 80 million knowing full well that he wouldn't get it. Old negotiating ploy. If the Patriots provide a counter offer, it will be in the neighborhood of 45-60 million.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
I agree he is a "top" corner. But he is not worth 80 million dollars. If you look at his total body of work you would know what I mean. I have been watching Asante play since he came into the league. Look at his stats for his previous years. he did have a huge breakout year, but history tells you he is not a top echelon corner.

Okay but there have been plenty of examples of NFL players having average seasons, numbers wise then kicking it into high gear during a contract year.

You lose Asante, your defense will suffer. Doesn't matter what kind of defensive scheme they play in. Cornerbacks play on an island most of the time anyway. The defensive scheme success theory usually applies to the front seven on a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

body88

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
Sorry Body88. Gotta disagree. He's not being greedy. If Clements set the bar with his contract, then what's to stop Samuel for asking for those kind of dollars? Statistically, he had a better year than Clements. The guy's looking for long term security. Sure 8 million is great but after the season ends, he's a player without a contract. If he plays poorly or gets injured, then his leverage is gone for future NFL suitors for the 2008 season.

I meant he is acting greedy by ripping the pats and saying they disrespect him. The players union and the nfl "dissed him". They created the franchise tag the pats are using. Asante did have a great year last year, and he is a great player. But go on nfl.com and check out his stats from previous years. You kind of make my point in your post. If the pats gave this guy 80 million bucks and ignored his previous years then he played average at best. They set the franchise back in a big way. It comes down to previous performance and talent evaluation by the pats. Who are one of the best in the league at it.

I hope he signs, but not for no 80 million bucks. I have been watching him play since he came into the league. Thats way to much money. Unless he is Champ Bailey of course. I think asante is a great player, but he has overrated himself. Even I can admit that now.

body88

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:23 AM »
Okay but there have been plenty of examples of NFL players having average seasons, numbers wise then kicking it into high gear during a contract year.

You lose Asante, your defense will suffer. Doesn't matter what kind of defensive scheme they play in. Cornerbacks play on an island most of the time anyway. The defensive scheme success theory usually applies to the front seven on a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

I know what you mean. Asante had several average seasons tho. 2004 and 2005 he was average at best. I understand what you mean about kicking it into high gear during a contract year, but if he drops off and the pats are into him for 80 million that is a big setback for the franchise.

I know our d will suffer if Asante does not play. But it should also be noted that Rodney Harrison and Wilson missed most of the entire year with injuries. Hobbs played all year with a broken wrist, Gay missed the entire season, and we did not have Meriweather waiting in the wings to contribute. They also picked up Tory James who at worst adds quality depth. They played most of the year with a decimated secondary.

I hope more then anything they sign him. However he is not worth no 80 million bucks. If someone is dumb enough to cough up two first rounders I would love for them to do that. That would give the pats 3 first rounders next year, and another extra 1st in 09. They wont do that tho.

I hope he jus takes a deal. They offered him a fair deal. But it was not a 80 million dollar deal so its crap to him.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »
He'll be a Pat in '07. I'm sure of it. There has to be a level of compromise in order here.

I just hope for your team's sake they don't take the Deion Brach approach and trade him rather than pay him. His value to the team is greater then Branch's was, based solely on postion.

But hey, I'll drop an email to Ozzie Newsome to encourage a possible trade if he becomes tradeable by the Patriots. ;D

Wait. Fuck. We ain't giving up 2 first rounders. Oh well. >:(

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »
3 first round picks...no way ;D. I just don't think he's worth the money. Yes he had a great year but the Pats make an offer of what they believe Asante's true value and as high as they believe it is prudent they should go...if he still insists he is worth more, they offer him for trade or for other teams to make him offers so that he can find his true value. Exactly the same as they did with Branch.

Whatever anyone feels about the Deion situation it worked in the end. Deion found what he believed was his true value and the Pats got compensation. It may leave a sour taste - but when people can't agree it is better for both sides to get something, rather than have people holding out for 10 weeks etc and a non football matter end up affecting the season and grabbing unwanted headlines.

The only thing I would say is that this needs resolving sooner rather than later like the Branch situation. Lets have a happy training camp for once rather than one with will he/ wont he? questions.

L

body88

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »
He'll be a Pat in '07. I'm sure of it. There has to be a level of compromise in order here.

I just hope for your team's sake they don't take the Deion Brach approach and trade him rather than pay him. His value to the team is greater then Branch's was, based solely on postion.

But hey, I'll drop an email to Ozzie Newsome to encourage a possible trade if he becomes tradeable by the Patriots. ;D

Wait. Fuck. We ain't giving up 2 first rounders. Oh well. >:(

I hope so... I blame branch more then Asante. Since branch held out under a current contract im Glad they told him to take a hike. The first rounder made it hard to say no. The way you put it is spot on tho. Players are just trying to make the most money they can. When I call Asante greedy it is because he is taking shots at the pats when he should be taking shots at Gene Upshaw.

I personally would not feel comfortable giving Asante 80 million bones considering his career as a whole. The pats offered him a nice deal, but he wants top coin.  He is a great player and if his first three years had better numbers I would say give him his money. He had more picks this year alone then in his previous three. But he wants so much they have to be very careful. Look at the Corey Simon fiasco with the colts. No thanks!