Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 151279 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2007, 05:21:17 AM »
It could be Dave,but I don`t think it`s her.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »
Tom Platz what a midget!  I didnt realize that Mentzer was such a short ass as well! 

in fact that is a photo full of really short men who take steroids.

Nothing has changed in all these years!

This so-called sport was a joke back then, and even a bigger joke now!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »
Tom Platz what a midget!  I didnt realize that Mentzer was such a short ass as well! 

in fact that is a photo full of really short men who take steroids.

Your ability to perceive reality is really in question, given that some of those guys like Platz or Mentzer were 5'7"-5'8". Then you've got a bunch of guys there who are 5'9"-5'11" or so like Waller, Grant, Steve Davis and others, and some around 6' like Grymko. WTF are you talking about?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »
It could be Dave,but I don`t think it`s her.

No it's not her Tim. At that time there were a lot of people from Sweden who would come in for several months. They were relatively unknown except for Andreas Cahling and Ulf Bengston but they were in great shape… especially the girls. I think she was one of them.

By the way... I'm not certain about Patrick Stewart. I know we've had this discussion before. I'm pretty sure the larger pick was taken some time in 1980 and I got there in June of 1980.

Number 39 was one of 3 guys who regularly trained with the Barbarians (so 5 in total) for several years. They wouldn't all train together at once but go through their workouts in groups of 2 to 3 guys. We would always talk and be friendly but I don't remember their names. They were from Northern Cal as was Denny Malloy, Jerry McCall (who trained with the Mentzer’s after Denny left) and Steve White (not pictured but trained with Samir and I the following year). I guess they all trained at the same gym in Northern CA.

Oh… I’m pretty sure #36 is Robert Reis who trained at Dan Mackey’s “The GYM” in Ventura but came up for a week or two at a time.   
and keep moving!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »
"Oh… I’m pretty sure #36 is Robert Reis who trained at Dan Mackey’s “The GYM” in Ventura but came up for a week or two at a time"

I'll agree w/that also. I thought Bob Reis was a little taller, but other than that, he is a spot on match for Reis.

In conclusion.... #36 Robert Reis
a

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »
"Oh… I’m pretty sure #36 is Robert Reis who trained at Dan Mackey’s “The GYM” in Ventura but came up for a week or two at a time"

I'll agree w/that also. I thought Bob Reis was a little taller, but other than that, he is a spot on match for Reis.

In conclusion.... #36 Robert Reis

All of Bob's AAU competitions were in the "Medium" height class. I don't remember were the cutoffs were.
and keep moving!

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
# 14 Lorenzo Belzer ? a teen ager

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
17 is claudia wilbourn.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
Is number 17 Georgia Miller,i think that was her name,or something like it.

Negative Sir. That's not a bad guess but I think War-Horse's "Claudia Wilburn" is correct. I think.
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
All of Bob's AAU competitions were in the "Medium" height class. I don't remember were the cutoffs were.

Good point MR.... Reis was very strong as well.
a

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Good point MR.... Reis was very strong as well.

Shit yeah he was... VERY strong.
and keep moving!

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
Number 15 is davidpaul.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
Number 15 is davidpaul.

Already been named.
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2007, 07:34:25 PM »
You really have to understand the significance of when these pictures were taken and  what was happening at that time in Gold’s gym history.

First go back several years earlier Peter Grymko was the “Supplement Guru” for just about everyone on the East Cost and placed 2nd in 1971, 1972 and 1973 in the AAU Mr. America. In 1970 Casey won without question, 1971 was a bit controversial since Pete had beaten Steve Michalik two weeks earlier in the Junior Mr. USA and in 1973 Pete outweighed Jim Morris by almost 40 pounds. Jim had the aesthetics and Pete at 255 and 5’11” was the mass monster of that show. Now Pete NEVER cried sour grapes but you know placing 2nd three years in a row fueled him (by the way I just completed an interview with Jim Morris for Ironman and hope to do one with Pete when I can get him to sit down).   

In 1978 Tim Kimber had RIGHTFULLY won the Mr. Empire State (New York State) (I placed 5th in that show) but two weeks earlier he had won an impromptu “hot body” contest at a Rochester night club and won $50. Tim was one of few competitors who could post his saritorias muscle like Mentzer used to do.

The third place guy in the Empire State issued a formal complaint to the AAU because he claimed that Tim had given up his amateur status by winning the $50 night club contest so Tim was stripped of the title and his trophies were taken away (they told him they would hold his trophies until a final decision was made so he relinquished them thinking that showing good faith would work in his favor…). He NEVER got the trophies back.   

The first picture was taken in 1979 shortly after Pete, Tim and Ed Connors purchased Gold’s from Ken Sprague. The second picture was taken sometime in 1980. The Gold’s Gym licensee program had not yet begun. It was only an idea at that point. I remember when I arrived from Rochester in June of 1980 they were still working out all the legal details of how the licensee program would work.

Pete, Tim and Ed were not only launching Gold’s into the stratosphere but they were also significant cogs in the inception of the NPC around that time. I’m certain that Pete and Tim’s experience with the AAU had a part in that.

So there is more going on behind the scenes in these pictures. Shortly after this the producers of Hart to Hart came in and struck a deal to help in the move of the Gym to its current location. Frank Zane and Tim Kimber had speaking parts and several of us including Robert Reis, Mike Clancy and about 20 others including myself were used as extra’s.
and keep moving!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »
You really have to understand the significance of when these pictures were taken and  what was happening at that time in Gold’s gym history.

First go back several years earlier Peter Grymko was the “Supplement Guru” for just about everyone on the East Cost and placed 2nd in 1971, 1972 and 1973 in the AAU Mr. America. In 1970 Casey won without question, 1971 was a bit controversial since Pete had beaten Steve Michalik two weeks earlier in the Junior Mr. USA and in 1973 Pete outweighed Jim Morris by almost 40 pounds. Jim had the aesthetics and Pete at 255 and 5’11” was the mass monster of that show. Now Pete NEVER cried sour grapes but you know placing 2nd three years in a row fueled him (by the way I just completed an interview with Jim Morris for Ironman and hope to do one with Pete when I can get him to sit down).   

In 1978 Tim Kimber had RIGHTFULLY won the Mr. Empire State (New York State) (I placed 5th in that show) but two weeks earlier he had won an impromptu “hot body” contest at a Rochester night club and won $50. Tim was one of few competitors who could post his saritorias muscle like Mentzer used to do.

The third place guy in the Empire State issued a formal complaint to the AAU because he claimed that Tim had given up his amateur status by winning the $50 night club contest so Tim was stripped of the title and his trophies were taken away (they told him they would hold his trophies until a final decision was made so he relinquished them thinking that showing good faith would work in his favor…). He NEVER got the trophies back.   

The first picture was taken in 1979 shortly after Pete, Tim and Ed Connors purchased Gold’s from Ken Sprague. The second picture was taken sometime in 1980. The Gold’s Gym licensee program had not yet begun. It was only an idea at that point. I remember when I arrived from Rochester in June of 1980 they were still working out all the legal details of how the licensee program would work.

Pete, Tim and Ed were not only launching Gold’s into the stratosphere but they were also significant cogs in the inception of the NPC around that time. I’m certain that Pete and Tim’s experience with the AAU had a part in that.

So there is more going on behind the scenes in these pictures. Shortly after this the producers of Hart to Hart came in and struck a deal to help in the move of the Gym to its current location. Frank Zane and Tim Kimber had speaking parts and several of us including Robert Reis, Mike Clancy and about 20 others including myself were used as extra’s.

I remember seeing it when I was about 10.

Zane was a weight lifter whose barbell plates were really gold who some bad dudes had switched on him and wanted back.

Interesting how gold had the same density as cast iron... not!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »
I remember seeing it when I was about 10.

Zane was a weight lifter whose barbell plates were really gold who some bad dudes had switched on him and wanted back.

Interesting how gold had the same density as cast iron... not!

I remember watching that episode also.  It was neat to see all the bb in thse days they were all over T.V.        Roger collard on Wonder woman......Bill grant lifting a toyota car...hulk.............. ...so many shows.

Now we can barely get a taco bell spot.... ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2007, 09:40:28 PM »

Dave, it was Pete, Ed and Denny Doyle who originally bought Gold's.  Pete then want Denny out because of some things that happened so he bought out Denny shares along with Tim.  At that point Pete owned 56% of Gold's.  And yes Pete was a major player in creating the NPC.  In fact the majority of the players wanted Pete to run it.  But, he felt a very big conflict of interest because he was buying Gold's now and allot of the competitors trained at Gold's and felt that if they won shows people would think its because Pete is the NPC Pres. and owner of Gold's.  There were a few other candidates they were looking at and decided on Manion.  They had a meeting where about 40 people were in attendance then held a meeting in Atlanta to vote Manion in.  Pete flew my good friend to Atlanta to put the vote in for Manion. The first meeting was in 79 or so I think.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2007, 09:42:43 PM »
Dave I'll be there with Pete at the Olympia and maybe sometime in the next month or so.  I know we are going to try ad get together with everyone.  Maybe we can all meet up in Vegas when i get there and have some dinner and talk.  Would be fun.  I know Tommy is going.  My old friend Dmarko Blewett is coming in also.  EVeryone wants to see how fat I am.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2007, 01:01:16 AM »
Dave, it was Pete, Ed and Denny Doyle who originally bought Gold's.  Pete then want Denny out because of some things that happened so he bought out Denny shares along with Tim.  At that point Pete owned 56% of Gold's.  And yes Pete was a major player in creating the NPC.  In fact the majority of the players wanted Pete to run it.  But, he felt a very big conflict of interest because he was buying Gold's now and allot of the competitors trained at Gold's and felt that if they won shows people would think its because Pete is the NPC Pres. and owner of Gold's.  There were a few other candidates they were looking at and decided on Manion.  They had a meeting where about 40 people were in attendance then held a meeting in Atlanta to vote Manion in.  Pete flew my good friend to Atlanta to put the vote in for Manion. The first meeting was in 79 or so I think.

Correction noted but don't loose the significance of the history and that it was all happening behind the scenes when these pictures were taken.
and keep moving!

shockandawe

• Getbig II
  • Tiny dogs are like tiny food - just more fun
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
Tommy, you certainly are the keeper (and spiller) of Gold's secrets and history.
But you forgot the story about Mentzer running into Gold's and yelling "Arthur Jones is GOD!"

And the splendor of 5 jacket Mike, and Danny Hester always running out on his guest checks at the Firehouse.

Whatever happened to that guy?
What happened to Darren Lanaghan? I know where Mike is, but what about Darren?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
UPDATE STRAIGHT FROM GRYMKO

1  Charlie Leek (went to jail for cocaine)
2 Bill Grants girlfriend
3 This girl was a gym groupie. Went out with Waller and a few others.
4 Ken Waller
6 Andreas Cahling
7 Rita Brown (Who later married Don Ross)
8 Lisa Lyons
9 Lou Ferrigno
10 Dan Franklin (trained with Ferrigno)
11 Mike Mentzer
12 Ray Mentzer
13 Bob Jakowitz
14 Bill Grant
15 David Paul
16 Eric Stienlick
17 Claudia Wilborn
18 She was Tom’s fiancé but was having a fling with Eric S. (everyone was afraid to tell Tom) and I think they ended up getting married. Eric was a writer for Ironman and Weider and Tom’s training partner.
19 Tom Platz
20 Stacey Bentley
21 Chris Dickerson
22 Dave Mastorakis, personal; who was personal training Jane Fonda at the time of this pic.
23 Ron Tuefel
24 Mike Torcia
26 Dave Billows (worked at the front desk)
27 Mike Clancy
28 Peter Paul
29 Nick Martino (owned Gold's with Pete later died just before they moved to the Hampton site and then Tim got involved)
30 Manual Perry
31 Bill Reynolds (deceased)
32 Denny Malloy (Mike and Ray’s training partner now deceased)
33 Kent Kuhen
34 Jon Loyd (an excellent BB and owner of Gold's Northridge)
35 Jim Usach
37 Bob Greeney
38 Joe Nasario
39 Bob Brooley
41 Ed Connors
42 Renee Haxby
43 Pete Grymkowski
44 Tim Kimber

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
Thats great Keith

UPDATE STRAIGHT FROM GRYMKO

1  Charlie Leek (went to jail for cocaine)
2 Bill Grants girlfriend
3 This girl was a gym groupie. Went out with Waller and a few others.
4 Ken Waller
6 Andreas Cahling
7 Rita Brown (Who later married Don Ross)
8 Lisa Lyons
9 Lou Ferrigno
10 Dan Franklin (trained with Ferrigno)
11 Mike Mentzer
12 Ray Mentzer
13 Bob Jakowitz
14 Bill Grant
15 David Paul
16 Eric Stienlick
17 Claudia Wilborn
18 She was Tom’s fiancé but was having a fling with Eric S. (everyone was afraid to tell Tom) and I think they ended up getting married. Eric was a writer for Ironman and Weider and Tom’s training partner.
19 Tom Platz
20 Stacey Bentley
21 Chris Dickerson
22 Dave Mastorakis, personal; who was personal training Jane Fonda at the time of this pic.
23 Ron Tuefel
24 Mike Torcia
26 Dave Billows (worked at the front desk)
27 Mike Clancy
28 Peter Paul
29 Nick Martino (owned Gold's with Pete later died just before they moved to the Hampton site and then Tim got involved)
30 Manual Perry
31 Bill Reynolds (deceased)
32 Denny Malloy (Mike and Ray’s training partner now deceased)
33 Kent Kuhen
34 Jon Loyd (an excellent BB and owner of Gold's Northridge)
35 Jim Usach
37 Bob Greeney
38 Joe Nasario
39 Bob Brooley
41 Ed Connors
42 Renee Haxby
43 Pete Grymkowski
44 Tim Kimber

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »
A COUPLE CHANGES ON THE FIRST PIC FROM GRYMKO

Not Pat Stewart
2  Pete Grymkowski
3  Danny Padilla
4  Ed Corney
5  Larry Jackson
6  Mike Torchia (?)
7  Dave ? (worked at front desk)
Sam Coupe not Tony Nowak
9  Andreas Cahling ("Mr. International")
10 Tim Kimber
11  Samir Bannout
12  Joseph Wilcox
13  Steve Davis
15 Bill Grant
16 Kent Kuehn
17 Ken Waller
18 Tom Platz
19 Mike Mentzer

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
Dave I'll be there with Pete at the Olympia and maybe sometime in the next month or so.  I know we are going to try ad get together with everyone.  Maybe we can all meet up in Vegas when i get there and have some dinner and talk.  Would be fun.  I know Tommy is going.  My old friend Dmarko Blewett is coming in also.  EVeryone wants to see how fat I am.

I cant believe you know dmarko!!!    When i first started lifting in 1979 my friend and i went to a little hole in the ground in SLC (Where i was raised) called deseret gym, because we heard Larry Scott trained there.

Well we go down stairs and this huge tan guy is doing chins with no shirt on...ripped and vascular.......Thats when i knew i wanted to be muscular.  He talked to us and gave us some tips. Being 14yrs old and skinny as rails we needed mass big time. ;D

I talk to him sometimes still and we talk about mark kerh and other older bbs in this area.    I wass suprised to see dmarkos pic in golds venice, that was cool.

He recently sold off "Custom fit" training to raise his kids and be with the family.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
Thanks guys, this is the best thread I have ever seen on getbig.

I made my pilgrimage to Golds Venice in around 1989 with Sonny Schmidt. We stayed for weeks and loved it. My idea of setting up a gym was and still is influenced by Golds Venice in those years. I still remember the thrill seeing CC, Flex and Rico training, Dillet and Baker were there every day. The first guy in the gym to talk to us and intro to all the dudes was Frank Vasill who was Mr California at the time.  We got to meet Pete G, Tim, Ed and Rich Minzer, they looked after us very well. We did a couple of gym openings for them, I was the MC and Sonny posed, I think Yonkers 1990 and another which I cant remember.

I returned many times over the years and never forgot the awesome feeling of that first day in Gold's Venice. Thanks for the memories and for sharing your experiences.