Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 152418 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
Tommy Wishbone,

Any good stories regarding Andreas Cahling????? He always seemed like a character (in a good way)!

AC was kind of a weird/unique dude. I knew him casually pre-stroke, and when he returned after being sick, it's funny, but I was never really positive that he was the same guy. He had some facial paralysis and his speech was much different. He did sell a shit load of posing trunks back in the day. Not used ones... ;D new ones in the pro shop.
a

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
:D I don't know who came up with that sign. I always thought about stealing it, but never did.

Fantastic thread, my man. Tell me, of all the bodybuilders you've seen in person, who was the most impressive physically? Not based on their height or the way they carried themselves, but just based on their muscularity alone?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
Fantastic thread, my man. Tell me, of all the bodybuilders you've seen in person, who was the most impressive physically? Not based on their height or the way they carried themselves, but just based on their muscularity alone?

Tough question to answer with just a single name... perhaps...

Rory........... in the early 80's
Dorian........ every year post Olympia, when he was spilling over. Absolutely crazy.
$20 Lou......... during his 1993 comeback
Jim Quinn....... preping for the WWF shows in the early 90's
Gary Strydom....... at the Weider Muscle camps in the late 80's
Dillet......... on shoulder & arm day, wearing a sleeveless, not a tank top. Just rude.
Michael Francois...... 95' I think. Doing DL rack partials with 800, and he was tight. Nuts.

a

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »
Fantastic Historical Thread for the Archives!

Tommy,

Who were the movies stars whom you met and worked out with?  Any stories on them?  Which ones were interested in buying and using gear?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Fantastic Historical Thread for the Archives!

Tommy,

Who were the movies stars whom you met and worked out with?  Any stories on them?  Which ones were interested in buying and using gear?

Ones I knew, and they knew me by name, any place we would see each other.. usually a bar somewhere.

James Caan
Dennis Hopper
Mickey Rourke
Geena Davis
Jean Claude Van Dame
Catherine Bell
Dolph Lungren
Keanu Reeves
Ralph Mueller
Bolo
Tommy 'Tiny' Lister

a

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »
Ones I knew, and they knew me by name, any place we would see each other.. usually a bar somewhere.

James Caan
Dennis Hopper

These two are no strangers to bars. Any good stories, tommy?  :)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »
Tommy wishbone,

2 questions, sir........ aside from Rachel McLish, who was the most sensational woman, that worked out @ Gold's Venice? Also, aside from Paul Dillet, which bodybuilder trained with lightest but looked amazing beyond belief????

Thanks!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
My man, I'm really out of the "in crowd" loop these days. It's still an excellent gym, but the vibe is long gone. Maybe some current and frequent Gold's Venice guys will speak on this.

Man you got that right. I’ve trained there a few times in the past year and the vibe is gone. True I’m not a regular like I was in the early to mid 80’s but the gym itself just is not the same. I’m not even sure if the people who work there even know the history… or care.

By the way in terms of impressive muscularity of guys who trained there, I’ll go with Aaron Baker, Vic Richards, Rory, Gary Strydom, when he came to town… Lee Haney, Samir, Mike and Ray Mentzer.

Women… of course Rachel was hot… but there was one unknown Latina who used to walk around with this help me come do me look on her face. I can’t remember her name. She was probably the best Teagan used to give my ex-wife a hard time because she was hot as well. I also liked Annie Rice’s training partner… she’s a trainer there now but I can’t remember her name. Tommywishbone do you know who I’m talking about?

In terms of known woman at Gold’s Venice It’s hard to get beyond Rachel. 
and keep moving!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Tommy wishbone,

2 questions, sir........ aside from Rachel McLish, who was the most sensational woman, that worked out @ Gold's Venice? Also, aside from Paul Dillet, which bodybuilder trained with lightest but looked amazing beyond belief????

Thanks!

Funny... the answer is easy, it was Mike Christian. Dude went from a soft 185 to a vascular rude 235, in TWO months, lifting weights so light, you would have been positive he was joking. Terrible form. No control. Talking during his sets. And dude just got huge.
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
These two are no strangers to bars. Any good stories, tommy?  :)

I have a somewhat recent James Caan tale...

I was in Las Vegas and was hanging out & playing some poker at the 2006 World Series of Poker. Well, I was walking with several friends, past the "interview living room" that was set up on a stage in the Poker Expo hall. Someone called out, "Hey Tommy!!"  I turned around and it was James Caan. He was being interviewed at the time, and just shouted out that greeting to me. I walked over, gave him a hug, we had not seen each other in at least 5 years.

I asked the TV interviewer why they were interviewing James Caan at a Poker tournament, and I said, "He's an actor not a poker player. He may act like a poker player, but he's only acting." Caan started cracking up and said, "Get the fuck outta here."  ;D ;D

My friends stopped, their jaws dropped, and they said, "Dude!! You know James Caan??" I smiled, just nodded my head and kept walking.   You should have been there.
a

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
I have a somewhat recent James Caan tale...

I was in Las Vegas and was hanging out & playing some poker at the 2006 World Series of Poker. Well, I was walking with several friends, past the "interview living room" that was set up on a stage in the Poker Expo hall. Someone called out, "Hey Tommy!!"  I turned around and it was James Caan. He was being interviewed at the time, and just shouted out that greeting to me. I walked over, gave him a hug, we had not seen each other in at least 5 years.

I asked the TV interviewer why they were interviewing James Caan at a Poker tournament, and I said, "He's an actor not a poker player. He may act like a poker player, but he's only acting." Caan started cracking up and said, "Get the fuck outta here."  ;D ;D

My friends stopped, their jaws dropped, and they said, "Dude!! You know James Caan??" I smiled, just nodded my head and kept walking. You should have been there.
Cool story, tommy. Caan ever invite you back to the Playboy mansion, he asked with great interest?  8)

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
This thread is cool.  Back then it really was fun and most everyone got along in the gym.  Regular people could workout with a big name bodybuilder with no problem or intimidation. The younger guys on here who rag me about talking about the past so much will realize when they get older that most of the time the past is just a better place and sometimes the best thing to talk about.  I can still remember watching Arnold while I was waiting my turn to bench press looking out the window at World's him walking across the street and watching people stop and point and stare and some taking pictures.  Or the first time seeing Bertil Fox or Sergio Oliva and Lou Ferrigno.  No matter how fat or out of shape I am now, my brain is just fine.  Go to the History Board and you guys will really read alot of great stories.  And remember without these past stories I don't think bodybuilding or this industry would be as colorful as it is today.  It definitely isn't as fun today as yesterday though.
So very true.  Dude I love your stories and when you rag on Goodrum

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: September 28, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »
tommy,

any good robby robinson stories???

how about denise rutkowski tales???

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #288 on: September 28, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
Tommy. I thought that this thread died years ago. Give me some time to re-read it and try to come up with some new stories of historical/hysterical significance. So far I have just re-read up to the page with the picture taken of all the old 2nd Street Gold's Gym members.

In an attempt to keep my memory alive, I'll write some notes for myself here and then do my best to tell their tales when I finish re-reading this entire thread. I'd hate to repeat myself which is usually a sign of old age and failing memory....

Notes for myself:

Training on the base, training with chainsaws, training at Leo Sterns in San Diego, Pat Casey benching 600 and the lions roar, training at Zuvers, blackness in the Dungeon, meeting the young Joe Gold, meeting Bill Pearl and Judy and Harold and Wayne Bouvier and the Pasadena crew, Elliot's Nest, John Corvello, Dale Adrian, stealing cars, stealing food, free memberships, old time Santa Monica, old time Venice Beach, 2,100 mg a day for 90 days, a guy named Reeves, Arnold, Franco, Nuckles, Zane, Oliva, Nubret, Birdsong, Kuhn, Stonewall, Nazzario, joe and Ben, Jeff and Cory, Ken Sprague, Teufel, Platz, Ray and Mike, Peter and Paul, Ernie, doctors and lawyers, murder in the gym and down the block, MLO, Maui Wowie,  Blair, Wynn Paris, Lalanne, George Eifferman and the misses, making movies, etc......

Gotta go back and check to make sure I haven't already told these old stories and I hope to pass them on way before my mind goes completely blank.

To be completely honest with ya all, I have never met an UN-interesting competitive bodybuilder. They all have interesting lives or great stories to tell.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
bump for a good thread. 8)

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
bump for a good thread. 8)

QFT
bump,
tommywishbone has the best stories...
you always have a captive audience here tommy
 ;D

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
great Getbig thread right here
Air Falcon

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »
great Getbig thread right here

"now that's what I call "GetBig""
 8)

if theres any justice, this thread stays alive on the daily.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
Tommy Wish, what do you think happened to Mickey Rourkes face...I think it is more than a face lift, looks like a chemical peel gone arwry...what is your take on it?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Hello NYCBull. How have you been?

Mick's face? Well that's a tough one. Mickey and I were sort of friends for several years-   I hadn't seen him in a few years, but at a big Strikeforce MMA event in San Jose in August 2009, I was the cageside 1st AD ( first assistant director) for Showtime Sports and Mickey walked up to me and gave me a big hug. My friends were all watching and they all said, "Dude!! You know Mickey Rourke??"  Anyhoo. . .

I can only guess, that when he had the work (cosmetic surgery) done, he thought it was a good idea. He's had a hell of a life and maybe he was just trying to freshen up his look. I think it was a mistake, but who cares what I think. It's funny, he's so strong on screen, that when I watched "The Wrestler" I almost instantly forgot about the facial changes and just watched him work.

He's always been a cool cat with me- and besides, I don't think I'd want Mickey to do things the way everyone expects.

Stay cool NYCB.
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »
Just re-read this thread........great stuff guys!!

Thanks for the awesome stories Tommy. :)

doozejooze

• Getbig II
  • Get bit
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
Great, great stuff Tommy. Thanks, any Bob Birdsong stories. I know he's out in the desert area, Rancho Mirage and did some training out there. I saw him once and my buddy was talking to him and he was talkin' a bit slow. Kinda, mulling over his words. Still ripped and he said he hasn't worked out in years. Thanks
Jooze
Rectum defendere!

RC

• Getbig II
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »
Great thread!!!
I just moved out of LA and trained a few times at Gold's, it certainly wasn't what
I had expected. The biggest guy at the gym on the few occasions when I'd make a trip out to Venice from Hollywood, was Bob Chick.
I did see Carl Weathers, he seemed kind of full of himself, but he's Apollo Creed for Christ sakes!  :)
If you really want to be horrified I suggest checking out the one in
Hollywood! LOL Really whacked out cast of characters! LOL Fabio was a regular as well as Duff McKagen.
Lot's of GH, but not much lifting.
Thanks for the cool stories!

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
Hello NYCBull. How have you been?

Mick's face? Well that's a tough one. Mickey and I were sort of friends for several years-   I hadn't seen him in a few years, but at a big Strikeforce MMA event in San Jose in August 2009, I was the cageside 1st AD ( first assistant director) for Showtime Sports and Mickey walked up to me and gave me a big hug. My friends were all watching and they all said, "Dude!! You know Mickey Rourke??"  Anyhoo. . .

I can only guess, that when he had the work (cosmetic surgery) done, he thought it was a good idea. He's had a hell of a life and maybe he was just trying to freshen up his look. I think it was a mistake, but who cares what I think. It's funny, he's so strong on screen, that when I watched "The Wrestler" I almost instantly forgot about the facial changes and just watched him work.

He's always been a cool cat with me- and besides, I don't think I'd want Mickey to do things the way everyone expects.

Stay cool NYCB.

Hey Wish, yea I agree when I saw "Wrestler" he just transcended the way he looked. The surgery or whatever didnt matter. He did a great job in that movie. Very talented actor for sure. Cool that you know him.  8)

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
Tommy, Keith, Stunt, Chick, Max-Rep,

Thanks for the memories!!!!  Sad to think that golden era is gone.  I arrived from Zimbabwe in 1995 and trained at Golds from the day I arrived.  I remember so clearly seeing the big names every day I trained....  Me feeling like a little kid.... Watching Flex, Cormier, Rico and Dillet train and giggle.  Lee Priest was in there too. And Aaron Baker. You are right about big Louie ... he was always nice to me. Memories pop into my head.... like Titus doing a photo-shoot and Delo Halo was his GF and he kept grabbing her ass during the shoot and she'd giggle and tell him to "stop being such a slut!"  I remember Rich Minzer inviting me to sushi in Venice and Pete Grymkoski came in his new Mercedes.  Kent Kuhn, Ed Connors and Lena Johanesson were at the table too.  A lot to take in for a boy from Zimbabwe.

Jeep Svenson was there every day too (RIP).  Tommy Wishbone really was the main man in that gym (he knew everyone) .... and had the thickest neck of anyone by far... and he was super strong!  Boxing class with James Finnerty and Craig Love was good memories (both guys were bad ass yet real gentlemen).  Ed Connors let me stay at his place for a few months and (new Pro by one week) Paul deMayo and Mike Mattarazzo were staying too ....just really huge guys!  We all sat in Ed's kitchen eating steaks and mashed potatoes and watching the George Forman vs, Michael Moorer fight live.  Ah, those were the days!!!!!