Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 152462 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: A little bit of Gold's Venice
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2007, 07:01:15 AM »

I ran into Kent Kehn at the Cal this past weekend but didn't get a chance to talk with him.

Kent Kuehn, always there in the middle of it. Ubiquitous, in the Eddie G mold. ;D

Those scenes in Stay Hungry filmed around the same time with guys on the buses wasn't that far from reality LOL

Bill Grant info:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson59.htm
Site:
http://www.billgrant.net/index.html

There was this one dude with huge arms Bill Pettis who worked out there in the 70s, still does I think. Mainly arm work. Something like huge Larry Samuels who worked out here at Tom Minichiello's Mid-City NYC around the same time.

Pettis shots:

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
Amazing...even then you were sticking your nose where it didn't belong....guess some things never change.
hahahahahahahahahaha, classic. ;D

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2007, 08:40:55 AM »
this is a genuinely great thread

thanks Tommy

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
I ain't no big star or anything like that but I never hesitate from talking to people under any and all circumstances, and my first visit to Gold's was way back in the early 60's with Sgt.  Sam Griffith, an old time USMC character and noteable.

We stopped in to see Joe and shoot the shit one weekend morning. The place was empty so we looked around and eventually ended up in  the back seeing Joe welding some equipment together. When he realized we were there he gave us a tour of the place, mostly showing off the unique equipment that he had built or was in the process of building.

I think that the yearly membership fee was less than $36 back then and a good number of the members were the athletes from USC and UCLA. Competitive bodybuilders were relatively small in number back then (and small in size too), and I don't recall seeing anyone that weekend who was overly impressive.

I don't think any of your guys are old enough to recall a 1950's gym that was in operation on one of the side streets leading up to the Pacific Coast Highway from the old Muscle Beach location in Santa Monica. It was a small place located in one of the old hotel's side entrance and for some reason I think it belonged to Joe or maybe he only worked there or only built the equipment. Or better yet - could this have been the first Gold's Gym in Southern California?

I lost contact with Gold's due to haveing to sail off and fight a war someplace, but managed to return in one piece when Ken Sprague was in the process of buying Joe out..... That was an interesting story in itself and I'll pass it on if I can remember it correctly. Correcft me here if I F.U. I'll start this one off and let someone more knowledgeable finish it up.

Ken was one of the Board members in the original NPC and had money and lived in So Cal so he bought Gold's from Joe for an unknown amount. I assume that Joe didn't realize that the sale had included the name "Gold's Gym" which he wanted to use in one form or another when he decided to open his next business wich eventually turned out to be "World Gym" which was located just a couple of miles south of Ken's 2nd Street location.

Ken ran the gym for a "couple of years" and promoted the best nationals of all time but eventually sold out to Pete G and his three partners. Here's my major sticking point...... business suffered but someone designed a T-shirt with "Guido" on the front and the T-shirt sales were instrumental in initially saving the business.

Back then and at that precise moment in time there were only two or three notable musclehead gyms in existance in So Cal.... Gold's in Santa Monica and Vince Gironda's in the Valley (over by Universal Studios). I think Pearl's was open in Pasadena too but I'm not positive about that. (And Dale Adrian trained at one of the Y's someplace.) And Joe was still doing his best to use his own name once again for his new place down the road.

Pete or one of his partners set up a bench by the front door so that people could come off the street to sit and watch the "animal's train". There were no "anamalettes" yet.) And T-shirt sales were doing well.

Heading down to Venice... More later if there is any interest in my half assed attempt to recall history and possibly mutilate in the process.

Hey! Thanks for the Bill Grant info, Pump. I'll contact him ASAP.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »

I don't think any of your guys are old enough to recall a 1950's gym that was in operation on one of the side streets leading up to the Pacific Coast Highway from the old Muscle Beach location in Santa Monica. It was a small place located in one of the old hotel's side entrance and for some reason I think it belonged to Joe or maybe he only worked there or only built the equipment. Or better yet - could this have been the first Gold's Gym in Southern California?

The old Muscle Beach from the 1930s onwards and gyms seemed to have been in the Santa Monica area, including the Dungeon where Draper trained. Santa Monica was also a little closer to Studio City where Vince's was.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »
good stuff

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
Yea, way before your time, Tommy, but I forgot about the Dungeon. Thanks, Pump. I went down there one sunny afternoon and pumped my nose against the wall. It was a hellofa dark basement. Draper trained there initially when he arrived while working at Weider's first Cal office across from Bodybuilder Famous Zucky's.

Who owned the Dungeon? If I recall, it was located one block south from where the SM Gold's would be many years later.

I'll do my best to get a picture of Pettis today.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »
Damn you Max Rep! Good catch ;D  Don't make me tell my Lee Haney v. Iron Sheik v. Tommywishbone story, or my "Hey you stole my T-shirts." - C. Dickerson story.

T-

And to think I was the only one who caught it!  ;)
and keep moving!

will938

• Getbig III
  • No Bull!
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »
Tommy, Stunt and Keith thanks for taking the time to write these stories :)
Team Efferding

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »
Stunt, Ric Draisin created the original Gold's Gym logo.

I remember Bill Pettis.  He was very quiet and had a lazy eye.  His arms were HUGE.

My stories are on the history board but since we have this one going I guess I can input a little, but I think most of them are already up over there.  SInce mine are allot fewer than Tommy's, Max's or Stunt's I can only tell one a day.

I first joined the Original World Gym in 1979 or 80.  I was lifting weights at that time in a small gym i Hawthorne called Docs and a place called Renaissance Health Spa.  That is where I met Gene Mozee as he helped the owner.  One of my friends parents were into health and lifting and were originals fro the old Muscle Beach when they did those posing and acrobatic things down there.  They were in great shape (the mom was HOT).  Well one day they itroduced me to their friend Ron Depolito who was built really good.  He trained at Gold's and World's.  They ask him to take me to World Gym and see if I liked it.  I was around 20.  Well hell yes I liked it.  He sked me if I wanted to join and train with him.  I said great but no money.  So he paid the first years dues which was $150 if I remember.  Back then memberships were easy.  Just a little index card in a box.  No fancy shit and paperwork like today.

Back then the gym was upstairs with parking at street level and a outside patio with equipment.  Only one locker room with a gang shower which was coed.  Not intentional I think just that if you are a girl be prepared. Which I really liked.  Anyway, Ron liked to train early.  I mean 8am.  I am not used to that, I like it in the afternoon.  Now I lived in Manhattan Beach and had to drive to Santa Monica and be there at 8am.  I hated it.  I remember seeing this guy and he was huge and loud.  He turned around and it was John Matuszak of the Raiders. Man he was one of my heroes.  I went back to my friends and told them all that John Matuszak trained at the gym I was at.He was really loud all the time and seemed to know everyone.  I noticed he was really close to Joe (Gold).  There were signs around the gym that said "No Cameras, No Pictures Aloud".  Eddie (Guiliani) worked the front desk with "Chief" (forgot his name, has "ski" on the end).

I remember one day a couple guys came up the stairs and ad cameras.  They stood at the top of the stairs and started taking pics.  I saw John Matuszak saw it and immediately went over and started yelling at them very loud.  I think they were foreign and didn't understand him because they kind of just looked at him.  Well John literally lost it and threw them down the stairs.  I mean pushed them so they fell down the stairs.  I couldn't believe it.  And whats funny is hardly anyone in the gym flinched.

Now, the funny thing about this is I went on for about a month watching John.  Finally I was introduced to him.  His name was Tony.  I was thinking why Tony.  I then asked Ron and he told me his name was Tony Nowak.  MAN I told Ron all this time I thought it was John Matuszak. He laughed and I was embarrassed.  I had to go home and tell all my friends it wasn't John but just some guy named Tony. I was so disappointed.

I have a few about Tony and who he was.  For the guys who have seen Pumping Iron, Tony is the guy Arnold says hi to when he first gets to the gym and is peeling the orange at the front desk.  He also (I think) makes the leather jackets and stuff for World Gym.  I saw him at a few shows in the 90's

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »
Great stories guys,keep them coming.Keith,i think "Chief" would be Zabo Koszewski.Any of you guys train at Zuvers gym when it was open.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2007, 04:42:03 PM »
I trained at Zuver's once, Shep. Wasn't much of a place to rave about but Larry Scott trained everything but legs there. Vince was adament about leg training and felt that squatting thickened the waist so most of the competitors who ever trained at Vince's were lacking in the leg department.

Many years later I got to be a friend of Vince's and while sitting beside him as contests he would always comment on his leg training theory. At one time there was a list of everything that Vince thought was important for training and dieting and it was pretty unique and radical for its time. Anyone got a copy?

In many ways Vince was years ahead of anyone else when it came to training and diet and bodybuilding in general.

Oh yea, I understand that Larry trained at another gym on leg days.

Here is a photo of Pettis and Howard taken this afternoon at the Venice Beach Contet ...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
Sorry, here's the photo ...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »
Sorry again! Here is the Pettis and Howard photo I meant to send above......

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
bill pettis is at the beach everyday, sad to say he is not in the shape he use to be, but he is still big in heart and spirit.  HE use to be huge, but has had some bad years........I remember back in the mid 90's he was about
280 lbs., a huge old fella........you can see him everyday, he was the first at muscle beach to ever lift 200 lbs doing behind head db tricep extension............He often gazes as I train, which reminds him of the old days, I see it in his eyes.............this guy had the best arms of the time.....for real.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
Hey guys!

Nice additions to the thread. I realize some of this stuff is History Board material, but I just thought it would get a little more action on the main board.

Tom
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 06:15:22 PM »
"Chief" (forgot his name, has "ski" on the end).
Keith,are you talking about "Zabo" Kosewski ?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
bill pettis is at the beach everyday, sad to say he is not in the shape he use to be, but he is still big in heart and spirit.  HE use to be huge, but has had some bad years........I remember back in the mid 90's he was about
280 lbs., a huge old fella........you can see him everyday, he was the first at muscle beach to ever lift 200 lbs doing behind head db tricep extension............He often gazes as I train, which reminds him of the old days, I see it in his eyes.............this guy had the best arms of the time.....for real.

The "return" of Noli..... :D
The one and (thank fuckin' God) only.....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Yes Zabo, thanks Wes and Crown.  Can't believe I couldn't remember him.

Hey guys!

Nice additions to the thread. I realize some of this stuff is History Board material, but I just thought it would get a little more action on the main board.

Tom

Thats great Tommy.  Does anyone know the story of Gold's Gym when Pete had it and they almost didn't pay rent and get evicted and how they got the money together.  Okay here is another one.  I don't remember his name but he was the muscle man guy who played in the movies and the one I can think of is "The Deep" but he played in allot (Longest Yard too, the old one).  He was the big white guy.  Anyway, I liked training outside at the old World Gym.  We would always stand up there and watch the cars go by and girls and such between sets.  Plus you got a nice tan.  One day I see this big white guy staring out and he was looking through his fist.  You know like a telescope.  I asked what he was doing and he said it made it look easier at things far away.  He said it acted like a telescope.  I got all excited cause I used to do the same thing and my friends always said bullshit.  They would try it and nothing different.  Now I find a guy who did the same thing and got the same results as me.  That made me really happy back then cause I thought I was wrong and was just imagining it.  Not  a lifting story but kind of neat from the gym.

A short one where I was at the front counter wanting something and the guy behind the counter had his back to me and I kept saying excuse me so I could ask him a question or whatever.  I thought he was ignoring me and I said it a few times.  Just before I was going to yell it he turned around and it was Ferrigno.  I didn't realize it was him.  I guess I didn't look close enough and then felt bad since I knew he couldn't hear very well.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:47 PM »
FWIW on the Gold's topic:

Everyone enjoys talking smack about Louie, and from what I've heard about their experiences, I don't blame them, not at all. Lou and I were always real cool.  He was always courteous and respectful when he spoke to me, and we had a lot of laughs. Louie was a very strong dude, but I was always stronger, and he knew it.

It's funny... a lot, a whole lot, of older girls thought Louie was attractive & sexy (weird, I know) and I would always go out of my way and make sure that Lou signed an autograph for them, and talked to them.

Somewhere, I have some real cool pics of me and Lou and TR training for Louie's combackback @the 1994 Master Olympia.  Most likely those pics are gone, but I'll try to find them.

Tommy
a

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »
Hey, Keith, they say you can knock on the door of the deaf man forever!

Had to laugh about the hand telescope. As if finding another dude like you validates that claim. Funny to read, anyway. Lots of bodybuilders tales floating around for sure.

Someone bagged me for not knowing who was selling steroids at my gym. Well, my ex and I owned our gym and we didn't tolerate anyone conducting any business on the premises. Naturally, those who did kept their mouths shut. Not many over the years have fessed up about using gear. Those who made enquires were already using and just testing the water. I sent guys to a sports doctor because I didn't trust some of those blokes. I heard some guy with a lot of tattoos was pushing drugs. Someone told me he was offered a big box of bottles. Turned out they might have been sugar pills or something! Maybe that guy was an ethical crook if there is such a thing. Naw, he got the fake Dianabol cheap and made a big profit. The heads would have sworn the drugs worked!

I smiled when I found out that some little guys were using steroids. They made no marked gains at all. Quite sad for them in a way. Shows that plenty of guys need a boost and not only the champs.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
Stunt Movie or anyone at he show today, how did it go?  Did they get the support they normally do?

What is pettis' age?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2007, 02:19:10 AM »
Stunt Movie or anyone at he show today, how did it go?  Did they get the support they normally do?

What is pettis' age?

Stunt called me several times from there and said the show was great.  ALLOT of people and allot more booths.  Chic was there and doing his thing he said.  He saw Pettis and said he was walking around handing out his picture.  I need to go to that show next year.  It was always fun in Venice.

P.S.  Talked to Grymko for about an hour today another 2 hours a few days ago.  It seems like when we talk we mostly talk about things we did together and I forget some stuff I am supposed to ask him.  He is about as far away from being computer savy as you can get.  But I told him I type very fast so when we see each next month maybe we are coming on here to tell some good old Gold's stories.  I did learn the first meeting where they decided to start the NPC was in 1978.  Manion was not in attendance but the people who were there decided to make Manion the President cause several others who they were going to appoint all had occupation they felt were a conflict so they had to pass up the nomination.

The guys who bought Gold's originally from Ken Sprague were Pete, Ed, and Denny Doyle (33.3333% each).  Denny was bought out by Tim Kimber and Pete.  Pete ended up with 56% of the original ownership.  Gold's Gym does not own the building but they do own the parking lot in the back. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »
Thanks for that info, Keith. When will we be able to get together with Pete for a good long talk? How bout I meet ya at the LAX and we stop by by his place on the way to LV? Make those arrangements for your next trip over.

Hey, LEGBREAKER, the Venice event was AWESOME! I have to admit that I've promoted/officiated more shows than the majority of you guys and gals have ever seen (or deven thought of) and this past Venice event was one of the most memorable of them all.

For obvious reasons I'm partial to the military and this was one event where the military presence was most notable. The Marines, the Air Force, the Army were all in attendance and the AF Band made the hair on my neck stand at full attention.

And while the contestants stood beside the Colors during the National Anthym with the patriotic audiance of at least a couple of thousand joined in and the C-17 flyover in salute ... it was something most Americans never get to experience in a lifetime.

And that was only the beginning.......

Joe did a great job and should be officially commended by someone. In his case I believe that would be the Department of Parks and Recreation, CC of LA.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »

Hey, LEGBREAKER, the Venice event was AWESOME! I have to admit that I've promoted/officiated more shows than the majority of you guys and gals have ever seen (or deven thought of) and this past Venice event was one of the most memorable of them all.

Joe did a great job and should be officially commended by someone. In his case I believe that would be the Department of Parks and Recreation, CC of LA.

Something to do with this..

Famed weightlifter is muscled out. Bill Howard, a longtime promoter at Venice's Muscle Beach, has been banned from this season's contests.
May 15, 2007

Bill Howard says he's no 98-pound weakling sitting on the beach, waiting for a he-man to kick sand in his face.

Joe Wheatley says he's no biceps-bulging bully trying to muscle in on someone else's place in the sun.

That's the short version of the ego flexing taking place between a veteran weightlifting champion and a younger promoter as this year's bodybuilding season approaches at Venice's Muscle Beach.

After more than four decades of staging summertime muscleman contests at the famed tourist attraction, the 73-year-old Howard has been banned from the weightlifting platform that stands beneath Muscle Beach's symbolic oversized concrete barbells.

Los Angeles parks officials advised Howard that the city "has decided to change direction with regard to future bodybuilding events" at the Venice Beach boardwalk.

"You will no longer be asked to narrate the History of Muscle Beach at the show. The Bill Howard Award will no longer be given at the shows. The Medallion Ceremony will be completed by a representative from Recreation and Parks" and not by Howard, parks authorities advised him in writing in mid-March.

Howard was told he could attend the show "as a member of the public" but would no longer be allowed backstage or in participants' or VIP areas.

His sudden ouster has roiled Muscle Beach, where Howard began pumping iron in the 1950s. He is credited with helping revive the beachside bodybuilding scene after lifters were kicked off Santa Monica's original Muscle Beach.

"I've given my entire life to Muscle Beach Venice, and they're kicking me out the door," said Howard, a Costa Mesa resident who still works as a personal trainer. He vows he is not about to go down without a fight.

"I'm in competition shape," he said. "I'm going to be 74 and I'm damned proud of how I look. I live the Muscle Beach philosophy. The sanctions against me are vindictiveness."

Starting in 1963, Howard — without pay — organized and emceed shows at Muscle Beach each Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day.

He saw the beach through its toughest time in the early 1980s, as facilities crumbled and interest faded. Howard recalled that one year, there wasn't any money for trophies, so he asked Arnold Schwarzenegger and Franco Columbo to go home and "get some of their own trophies to donate. They did, and we had a show."

He led a campaign to get Los Angeles officials to designate the weightlifting area "Muscle Beach Venice" and in 1991 helped secure $500,000 in funding to construct a training area and stage.

Howard stepped aside as the shows' promoter and master of ceremonies in 2003 while recovering from throat cancer. That's when Wheatley, 20 years his junior, took over promotional duties.

Since then, Wheatley's backers say, he has expanded the shows' scope, drawing more sponsors and participants. Wheatley created an award in Howard's name to give to the shows' top male and female competitors and oversaw Howard's induction into the Muscle Beach Hall of Fame in 2005.

Wheatley, 52, of Glendale, said that as Venice's Muscle Beach grew, Howard simply wouldn't change with the times.

"I've said over and over that without Bill Howard, we wouldn't be here today," Wheatley said. "But it comes a time for everyone to step aside. The program is bigger than Bill. It's evolved."

But Wheatley also blamed "ego and narcissism" on Howard's part. "We couldn't get the microphone out of his hands," he said. "The last thing he said to the audience was, 'I'm not in this for the money; I'm in this for the sport.' That was a personal attack on me. I do this for a living. Joe Wheatley Productions. I do bring in money."

City officials have sided with Wheatley.

Lydia Ritzman, the city's principal recreation supervisor, who ordered Howard's removal, said there was a personality clash between Howard and Wheatley.

"It got to the point [where] Bill would come in at the 11th hour and undo things Joe had done. These events don't need that kind of drama," Ritzman said.

"Joe asked for some cooperation from Bill. For some reason Bill couldn't do that."

Devotees of Muscle Beach and bodybuilding said they are caught in the middle.

"Without his enthusiasm, it would have died out. Bill did an excellent job," said Gene Mozee, a Culver City powerlifter who has written about the sport and edited bodybuilding magazines.

But Mozee also had praise for Wheatley. "He's really revved up the participation and enthusiasm. True, Joe makes a living at this. But he pays the city a fee and pays his own people to do work."

Schwarzenegger, who in his early days pumped iron in Venice, issued a statement in 2004 from the governor's office praising Howard for his dedication to the bodybuilding community as he was battling cancer. "There is no obstacle you can't overcome," the governor wrote. On Monday, his spokesman said Schwarzenegger was busy in meetings and unavailable to comment on Howard's ouster.

Meanwhile, the Muscle Beach battle is heating up.

Wheatley said Howard threatened to picket the approaching Memorial Day holiday show. The Muscle Beach International Classic is scheduled for May 27-28. Officials want to eventually build a Wall of Fame saluting the greats of Muscle Beach, with Howard likely to be among the first honorees.

But "if he causes a big ruckus on May 28, then that plaque is going to go," Wheatley warned. "He should tread very lightly."

As for Howard, he says he has spent a lifetime of heavy lifting for a sport that has had more than its share of ups and downs. In his view, only dumbbells would bar him now from Muscle Beach.

"It's like telling Babe Ruth he can't go to Yankee Stadium."