Author Topic: tricep injury. need advice  (Read 3144 times)

climber

• Getbig III
tricep injury. need advice
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:33:40 PM »
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how to go about fixing it. For the last month and a half I've found that my left tricep (possibly also bicep a bit) is painful when I work out. For example, on my last workout I was doing shoulder press and my arm was quite sore even with warm-up weights (such as 15 pound db). Even though it is quite sore on warm-up stuff I can still manage to press heavy stuff with it (which for me is about 100 pound dumbells aside). When doing the heavy stuff it doesn't hurt which is strange. Same thing for bench, warming up with the bar only seems to be sore. I can still do heavy loads but because of this arm injury I'm of at a plateau.

I have tried to give my arm a bit of a rest lately to let it recuperate but it hasn't helped at all. I was working out 3-4 times per week but about 3 weeks ago I switched to a 1 day on 2 days off routine (2.5 workouts per week). Do I need to take a week or two off from training altogether?
Hrmmm

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: tricep injury. need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
I think it's sorer with the lighter weights because later when the muscles, ligaments and tendons are warmed up the pain's temporarily masked.

I think you should take a week completely off, after first trying to do exercises that will allow the area to heal without directly aggrevating. Once the pain's gone, you might have to consider slight changes to the program that will avoid further aggrevation that might otherwise return. For example any areas that have been injured might be subject to moderate reps no lower than 10-15 in future, rather than lower reps with heavier weight that is harder on the joints. Combine that with shorter rests of no more than a minute between sets, to keep the area warm.

If after taking a break the pain's still there, then see a doctor it may be slightly more serious.

When the problem is cured, ensure that with whatever exercise(s) caused it, there is thorough warmup and that reps are kept 10-15 in future, with rests of no longer than a minute, to keep the area warm.

If all that still doesn't help, you may have to first try slight modifications of the exercise(s)/ROMs that might not irritate, such as different grips, grip widths and/or the use of dumbbells in lieu of barbells. If that's insufficient to remove the problems, then find alternate exercises that don't cause the pain. You'll have to find way to avoid further similar aggrevations as they'll only get worse if they return.

climber

• Getbig III
Re: tricep injury. need advice
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice pumpster. I've rested my arms up a bit over the last couple of weeks and now I'm back in the gym making progress on them again. :)

Hrmmm