Author Topic: Giro D'Italia: The Thread - Updated!  (Read 2265 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Giro D'Italia: The Thread - Updated!
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:23:52 AM »
*This year's Giro starts off on Sardinia, and moves after three days. Meaning that the first rest day will be already on day 4. Could be one of the toughest Giro's in modern time.

*Faves to win: Basso of course. Salvoldelli has shown jack shit so far this season, but the Falcon is always a dark horse. Basso may be suspended though, since the doping-case against him is re-opened. Iban Mayo? Look for Cunego, Simoni and Garzelli as well.

edit: Basso has admitted his part in the big Spanish doping affair, so he's out.

*Major big climbs waiting are ( height in meters):Colle dell'Agnello/Cima Coppi (2744), Col d'Izoard (2360), Passo di San Marco (1985), Passo di San Pellegrino (1918), Tre Cime di Lavaredo (2320) och Monte Zoncolan (1730).

*There's a team time trial.

*On the 13th stage, there will be a mountain climb time trial, 13 km long. Another traditional time trial as well. The mountain climb time trial's an awesome idea IMO.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: Giro D'Italia: Pre-tour talk up, preview
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
I don't think Basso will be allowed to race.

My guess is Cunego. He's won a couple of races last week. Has worked a lot in Italy on his own so nobody really knows how his condition will be.

Simoni, garzelli, salvoldelli are getting old but have their chance.

I think Mayo will peak for Round of Spain and maybe Tour.
$

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:32:05 PM »
I don't think Basso will be allowed to race.

My guess is Cunego. He's won a couple of races last week. Has worked a lot in Italy on his own so nobody really knows how his condition will be.

Simoni, garzelli, salvoldelli are getting old but have their chance.

I think Mayo will peak for Round of Spain and maybe Tour.

Agree on Cunego.

Having some hopes for the Falcon - Salvoldelli. He's a crazy mofo descending LOL.

BTW, will be interesting to see the Tour this year. Vinoukourov and Kasheskin out of the Astana Team looked incredibly strong in the Vuelta.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
Re: Giro D'Italia: The Thread - Updated!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:48:28 AM »
Today's the first stage of the wonderful Giro D'Italia.

Cunego's lately been heralded as sort of a favorite, but I don't rule out Salvoldelli.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:23:38 AM »
Agree on Cunego.

Having some hopes for the Falcon - Salvoldelli. He's a crazy mofo descending LOL.
"Il falcone"
Lacks some talent but can get the win if opposition fails.

BTW, will be interesting to see the Tour this year. Vinoukourov and Kasheskin out of the Astana Team looked incredibly strong in the Vuelta.
I think we'll see some weird shit. No real favorites, no clear contenders. The top talents are all suspended, or have stopped. (Basso, Ulrich, Landis, Armstrong) Whoever wins, it'll be a surprise.

Watch out for Thomas Dekker, he's 21 or 22 or so. I see in him a winner in a four or five years. The only thing he needs to learn is holding his position. He get's drummed away too easily and loses a lot of positions (and time) by it.

Valverde will show some good stuff as well i think, maybe a contender. (or is he riding Giro?)

Do you watch the classics as well (Round of flanders, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Paris-Roubaix), or just the big Tours?
$

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 05:52:43 AM »
"Il falcone"
Lacks some talent but can get the win if opposition fails.
I think we'll see some weird shit. No real favorites, no clear contenders. The top talents are all suspended, or have stopped. (Basso, Ulrich, Landis, Armstrong) Whoever wins, it'll be a surprise.

Watch out for Thomas Dekker, he's 21 or 22 or so. I see in him a winner in a four or five years. The only thing he needs to learn is holding his position. He get's drummed away too easily and loses a lot of positions (and time) by it.

Valverde will show some good stuff as well i think, maybe a contender. (or is he riding Giro?)

Do you watch the classics as well (Round of flanders, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Paris-Roubaix), or just the big Tours?

I am GLUED to Eurosports coverage of the classics!

Missed most of Paris-Roubaix, but the other races I followed pretty much to the letter.

Been a pretty good classic season, despite the good weather. ;D

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 01:43:57 PM »
Robbie McEwan getting his first victory of this years Giro. Looked solid all the way through.

Not enough speed in the finish for Pettachi, finished 3rd.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
Petachi is history, he might take one when the rest fails to live up to expectations.

I think it will be either Cunego, Salvoldelli or Valverde

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »
Petachi is history, he might take one when the rest fails to live up to expectations.

Petacchi won today, the sprint was more to his liking, with a monster long finish, where his extreme top speed dominated.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »

Petacchi is still a contendor. Probably still the fastest man alive.
However he needs a solid team. He can't win it like eg Robby McEwen. Petacchi needs a team to bring him to the front and drop him off at 200-300 m before the finish so he can round it off. With a good team he'll win a couple i'm sure.
McEwen lacks that top speed/power, but he has better instinct and he fights his own battle for a good position, he doesn't need a team.
$

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:12 AM »
I knew I had to eat those words haha, I still think he's past his prime, but indeed, a long finish is what he prefers. He's won many times with a solo 10 km from the finish in his younger years.

McEwan is such a clever sprinter, he fits the tightest of spots and has an instinct for choosing the right wheel.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
Looking forward to the 17th stage.

From what I understand, it's the toughest climb in all of cycling, even tougher than Alp D Huez. :P

Only 143 km, watched the map for that stage, and it seems like there's a part with 22% incline!!

Another with 20% and one with 18%.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »
Looking forward to the 17th stage.

From what I understand, it's the toughest climb in all of cycling, even tougher than Alp D Huez. :P

Only 143 km, watched the map for that stage, and it seems like there's a part with 22% incline!!

Another with 20% and one with 18%.

-Hedge

So the Monte Zoncolan is over.

What have we learned?

Danilo DiLuca survived in the Pink Jersey.

IMO, Andy Schleck didn't have the balls to go for it today, he should've put it all on the line.

My guess is that DiLuca, by all accounts, has won the Giro this year.

The time trial is still up, and DiLuca could lose a minute to Schleck there, but I doubt anymore.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
So the Monte Zoncolan is over.
What have we learned?
Danilo DiLuca survived in the Pink Jersey.
IMO, Andy Schleck didn't have the balls to go for it today, he should've put it all on the line.
My guess is that DiLuca, by all accounts, has won the Giro this year.
The time trial is still up, and DiLuca could lose a minute to Schleck there, but I doubt anymore.

-Hedge
It's safe to say DiLuca has won. I'm a bit disappointed by Cunego who fell short (no pun intended).

I've seen the finish a couple of times and i was surprised in the good taste in women the italians have. Damn, some nice girls at the podium each time, and they dwarf most of the riders.  ;D

Andy Schleck truly was the revelation, though he never really attacked. Still, tons of potential. In Italy they're hyping up Ricco though.
$

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 05:05:07 AM »
It's safe to say DiLuca has won. I'm a bit disappointed by Cunego who fell short (no pun intended).

I've seen the finish a couple of times and i was surprised in the good taste in women the italians have. Damn, some nice girls at the podium each time, and they dwarf most of the riders.  ;D

Andy Schleck truly was the revelation, though he never really attacked. Still, tons of potential. In Italy they're hyping up Ricco though.

Andy Schleck could very well be the next big thing in cycling.

The word is that he won't do the Tour de France.

If he sits it out and perhaps goes for the Vuelta, he will be absolutely lethal there.

All speculations though. I think he would have a pretty good shot at the Tour still, despite being so young. The guy has tremendous talent, and may have it in him to recover, and the first week of the Tour is fairly easy too.

Could muster a top ten if he decides on the Tour.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise