Author Topic: good mornings?  (Read 1806 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
good mornings?
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:15:42 AM »
Are they very beneficial in the scheme of things? I'm told they help with squats but before I go giving them some time or WASTING my time depending on what you guys say, are they legit? Do they have a profound impact on your squats?

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: good mornings?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
Are they very beneficial in the scheme of things? I'm told they help with squats but before I go giving them some time or WASTING my time depending on what you guys say, are they legit? Do they have a profound impact on your squats?

I do not think they are a waste of time.  They are a great exercise for the Hamstrings, Lower Back and Calves.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
One of my favorite exercises. Can increase all around lifting power , with a very good affect on squating and DL'ing power. Will affect the spinal erector muscles, giving extra thickness and strength. Also the ham strength and flexability. Should include heavy ab work to balance that muscle area. Positive core strength exercises. Can do GM'ing while sitting on a bench, as well as the regular standing position. Good Luck.
F

Prof Moriarty

• Getbig II
  • The greatest evil genius of them all
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »
GMs are a great auxiliary exercise.  When doing them just be sure to always keep the lower back rigid and tight.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »
I didn't feel it in my hams at all. Does that mean That I wasn't leaning over enough with weight? ???

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
I didn't feel it in my hams at all. Does that mean That I wasn't leaning over enough with weight? ???

Then you did something wrong.  Rigid and tight is a great visual, just like your deadlift form.  You don't need to go that heavy or even that low, just above 90 degrees should do it, based on normal flexability.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »
Then you did something wrong.  Rigid and tight is a great visual, just like your deadlift form.  You don't need to go that heavy or even that low, just above 90 degrees should do it, based on normal flexability.

I tried doing the movement with just the bar today in teh gym and I went to ALMOST 90*. I'm talking about getting table top flat yesterday adn apparenlty I have to literally GET flat to feel it. I do them with my feet together and a slight bend in my knees to get the hammies going.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »
It's good that you are using the bar only to break in the GM'ings. For an extra light stretch, try putting your toes on a 2X4, or such. You will feel it much more in the ham's and calves. Might also have the feet wider apart for better balance. Two hundred lbs is not out of the question  before long, if you wish.. You will find as you advance a slight knee bend is required for balance and to counter act to the heavier weight. Guy's who get into extra heavy weight of 350+ only preform a quarter rep, or so, with a half way knee bend. Seen some guy's near or over the 400lb mark do GM'ings that resemble a quarter squat. Hard to tell the difference, really.

If anybody ask, the GM'ing is not like, or the same as, doing SLDL's. The muscle curve/physics are different. One has the weight in front of the body. The other above and with-in or behind the natural line of the body. Neither is better than the other, just different body responses. Might want to alternate both movements in a workout program, from time to time. Both exercise can help the squat and regular DL greatly. Good Luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 07:46:32 AM »
It's good that you are using the bar only to break in the GM'ings. For an extra light stretch, try putting your toes on a 2X4, or such. You will feel it much more in the ham's and calves. Might also have the feet wider apart for better balance. Two hundred lbs is not out of the question  before long, if you wish.. You will find as you advance a slight knee bend is required for balance and to counter act to the heavier weight. Guy's who get into extra heavy weight of 350+ only preform a quarter rep, or so, with a half way knee bend. Seen some guy's near or over the 400lb mark do GM'ings that resemble a quarter squat. Hard to tell the difference, really.

If anybody ask, the GM'ing is not like, or the same as, doing SLDL's. The muscle curve/physics are different. One has the weight in front of the body. The other above and with-in or behind the natural line of the body. Neither is better than the other, just different body responses. Might want to alternate both movements in a workout program, from time to time. Both exercise can help the squat and regular DL greatly. Good Luck.

That's how I performed them. I was using the cage and set the bars to what I thought would be deep enough. In the mirror I was bending over far enough that I was looking straight on at the top of my shoulders. I think I'm going to go with your idea of doing them with my toes on a board for better ham stretch. I was doing sets with 315lbs no problem. I have friends that powerlift that do 600lb good mornings and have turned around and easily squatted 700lbs without every squatting once in their lives and only having done deads and good mornings.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
OK TWT, I was under the impression, by your other post, that you were a stranger to GM'ings. That relationship between those and squat strength is well documented. Always worth the effort, if an athlete or not, to include whatever form of the GM'ing you want. Had a chance once, in L.A, to watch some Bulgarian Olympic lifter train. Did GM'inmg quite a bit. Most impressive thing about them physically was the deep and thick spinal erectors, which looked like you could hide a beer can in. That and the outstanding trap and middle back thickness. And they

Might warn you not to throw those high number around like 600lb GM'ing and 700lbs squats. SquadFather might get upsets and call you BS. We would not want to upset the little guy. Good Luck.
F

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 08:32:42 AM »
What's a good rep range for good mornings JPM?
Squishy face retard

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 08:49:49 AM »
OK TWT, I was under the impression, by your other post, that you were a stranger to GM'ings. That relationship between those and squat strength is well documented. Always worth the effort, if an athlete or not, to include whatever form of the GM'ing you want. Had a chance once, in L.A, to watch some Bulgarian Olympic lifter train. Did GM'inmg quite a bit. Most impressive thing about them physically was the deep and thick spinal erectors, which looked like you could hide a beer can in. That and the outstanding trap and middle back thickness. And they

Might warn you not to throw those high number around like 600lb GM'ing and 700lbs squats. SquadFather might get upsets and call you BS. We would not want to upset the little guy. Good Luck.

LOL I'll send you a link to his myspace page and his own forums. Dude is a monster! Here let me go ahead and do that...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=98918462

very knowledgable and VERY nice guy. Always willing to help BIG mofo too.

AND I am new to good mornings. My first time to do them was two days ago.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 08:58:18 AM »
The GM'ing can be treated like any other exercise. Rep range for whatever you want to accomplish. From 3 to 20 usually. From power moves to creating muscle size. Might also want to work the abs with equal work loads.  Lower back and abs act as a core unit, a keystone for total body power. Good luck.
F

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »

I think they're beneficial - they strengthen the lower back & hamstrings.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
I think they're beneficial - they strengthen the lower back & hamstrings.

Now hold on.  We have a dozen posts about the benefits of the exercise, various forms of it, rep ranges, weights used and a good ongoing discussion of this topic and you decide to throw in this post.  Did you even read any of the previous posts? 

Please, people, add something new if you're going to post. 

That is all....sorry to bust your balls.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »
I haven't realy try doing good morning but reading the above most, I might add it in my hams  routine. but i think good morning are a light weight/high reps. I also think the placement of your body look risky.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »
I used them regularly for some time but didn't really like the feel of the exercise, so I stopped.  Not doing them doesn't seem to have harmed my deadlifting weights, so at the moment I'll continue to leave them out.  They are probably quite useful for breaking through DL plateau's.

One word of caution though, if you do them before DL's in your routine, be careful about the amount of weight you use for DL's.  When your lower back is pre-exhausted, its very easy to do serious damage with too much weight.