Author Topic: Congressman Jefferson to be Indicted  (Read 5229 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Congressman Jefferson to be Indicted
« on: June 04, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
Feds say La. congressman to be indicted
Monday, June 04, 2007 12:16:43 PM

An indictment charging Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., in a long-running bribery investigation is being announced Monday, federal officials said.

The indictment is being handed up in U.S. District Court in Alexandria. A press conference was being organized for late Monday in Washington to discuss the case.

A Justice Department official familiar with the case said the indictment outlining the evidence against Jefferson is more than an inch thick and charges the congressman with crimes that could keep him in prison for up to 200 years. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case.

Almost two years ago, in August 2005, investigators raided Jefferson's home in Louisiana and found $90,000 in cash stuffed into a box in his freezer.

Jefferson, 63, whose Louisiana district includes New Orleans, has said little about the case publicly but has maintained his innocence. He was re-elected last year despite the looming investigation.

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
Re: Congressman Jefferson to be Indicted
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »
He must have a big freezer!
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »

An indictment charging Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., in a long-running bribery investigation is being announced Monday, federal officials said.

The indictment is being handed up in U.S. District Court in Alexandria. A press conference was being organized for late Monday in Washington to discuss the case.

A Justice Department official familiar with the case said the indictment outlining the evidence against Jefferson is more than an inch thick and charges the congressman with crimes that could keep him in prison for up to 200 years. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case.

Almost two years ago, in August 2005, investigators raided Jefferson's home in Louisiana and found $90,000 in cash stuffed into a box in his freezer.

Jefferson, 63, whose Louisiana district includes New Orleans, has said little about the case publicly but has maintained his innocence. He was re-elected last year despite the looming investigation.

About time.  I'd like to hear his explanation for the $90K in his freezer. 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

As interesting as it was to read about the $90,000 in the freezer this is my favorite quote from that post "He was re-elected last year despite the looming investigation.".

We get what we deserve if we continually elect and re-elect these dirtbags. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:18 AM »
As interesting as it was to read about the $90,000 in the freezer this is my favorite quote from that post "He was re-elected last year despite the looming investigation.".

We get what we deserve if we continually elect and re-elect these dirtbags. 

You mean like Mike Nifong? I know he isn't a "politician" but he was elected....
gotta love life

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
You mean like Mike Nifong? I know he isn't a "politician" but he was elected....

Yep, that would fit the bill especially if that scumbag had any history that could have been scrutinized before he was elected.

That clown needs to spend some time in prison and be sued for every penny he's got.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »
Yep, that would fit the bill especially if that scumbag had any history that could have been scrutinized before he was elected.

That clown needs to spend some time in prison and be sued for every penny he's got.

why he only ruined those kids lives....lol, crazy how the system works.....
gotta love life

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »
This is funny and somewhat pathetic.  

$90,000

What an operator...think what he may have done with a cost-plus no bid contract

The Coach

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
Re: Well, Well...it's about time
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »
It's not about time, you're late.  This thread already exists.
Stick out your tongue.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »
This is funny and somewhat pathetic.  

$90,000

What an operator...think what he may have done with a cost-plus no bid contract

I would like you to find me one company in America the size of haliburton that could have done the job in Iraq....they aren't there.....
gotta love life

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
I would like you to find me one company in America the size of haliburton that could have done the job in Iraq....they aren't there.....
There's a long history between Halliburton (a foreign company) and the Bush family.  It goes back decades to the Bush's ties with Brown and Root company. 

B/c of the Bush family's push to make money at taxpayer expense, the privatization of maintenance of the military was sought and achieved.  The governmental gravy train actually started in WWII and continues to this day.  It was after Brown & Root was acquired that the cancer began to grow.  The Cheney era was a real high point in the 1990s.  If it weren't for government, he wouldn't be half the man he is today.

With each passing year, Halliburton (a foreign company) has taken over/privatized more and more military/governmental functions.  About the only thing not privatized are the soldiers.  But that's what Blackwater is for.  Don't want to be greedy.

To answer your question, is there another company like Halliburton (a foreign company)?  No.  Thanks to the Bush/military industrial complex, a war cannot be run without corporate pirates at the helm.

Here's another question:  Since Halliburton (a foreign company) is a monopoly, by your own admission, is it right for the company to screw* our government and us out of millions of dollars?

*In one case, Halliburton billed the government $27.4 million for a shipment of natural gas from Kuwait that cost the company $82,000.  That's one case. 
DOD Audits: Halliburton Overcharges Top $212 Million http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=823

We don't have the space to recount fraud allegations against Halliburton (a foreign company)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »
There's a long history between Halliburton (a foreign company) and the Bush family.  It goes back decades to the Bush's ties with Brown and Root company. 

B/c of the Bush family's push to make money at taxpayer expense, the privatization of maintenance of the military was sought and achieved.  The governmental gravy train actually started in WWII and continues to this day.  It was after Brown & Root was acquired that the cancer began to grow.  The Cheney era was a real high point in the 1990s.  If it weren't for government, he wouldn't be half the man he is today.

With each passing year, Halliburton (a foreign company) has taken over/privatized more and more military/governmental functions.  About the only thing not privatized are the soldiers.  But that's what Blackwater is for.  Don't want to be greedy.

To answer your question, is there another company like Halliburton (a foreign company)?  No.  Thanks to the Bush/military industrial complex, a war cannot be run without corporate pirates at the helm.

Here's another question:  Since Halliburton (a foreign company) is a monopoly, by your own admission, is it right for the company to screw* our government and us out of millions of dollars?

*In one case, Halliburton billed the government $27.4 million for a shipment of natural gas from Kuwait that cost the company $82,000.  That's one case. 
DOD Audits: Halliburton Overcharges Top $212 Million http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=823

We don't have the space to recount fraud allegations against Halliburton (a foreign company)

Being involved in military contracts I know the military overpays for everything and I haven't been to a base where certain companies always win the contract simply because they are the one company that can handle it.....Haliburton..forei gn or not is the company that can handle the construction needed. Can you show me how the Bush family has earned these profits? When you need construction done on this scale in a hostile country there is one company that is ready to take it on like it or not.
gotta love life

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
Look at the big dig and Becktel. Although the project was estimated at $2.8 billion in 1985, over $14.6 billion had been spent in federal and state tax dollars as of 2006.The project has incurred criminal arrests, escalating costs, death, leaks, poor execution and use of substandard materials. The Dems are up to their ass in this. Alot of folks got paid. Price of doing business in New England..just like Iraq.
L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
So are the Republicans, the Big Dig corruption is blind to party affiliation. Look at Matt Amorello or whatever his name is. He's the dirtiest of them all and he was a Repub.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 08:03:27 PM »
Of course he claims to be innocent. 

I’m not buying it.  I don’t know many innocent people who keep $90K cash in their freezers.  Combine that with the fact that he is a member of Congress who headed congressional committees on Africa and the paper trail of him bribing Nigerian officials and he is as guilty as OJ. 

Put him under the jail!  >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:08:13 PM »
Of course he claims to be innocent. 

I’m not buying it.  I don’t know many innocent people who keep $90K cash in their freezers.  Combine that with the fact that he is a member of Congress who headed congressional committees on Africa and the paper trail of him bribing Nigerian officials and he is as guilty as OJ. 

Put him under the jail!  >:(

It wasn't just that he had $90k in his freezer; it was the same $90k that was given to him by an informant. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 03:26:20 AM »
Corrupt politicians needs to be cut.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »

Whoa, these democrats are a filthy group. 
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 08:33:13 AM »
Whoa, these democrats are a filthy group. 

I say really torture him.......put him in the same cell as Paris Hilton.  ;D

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 09:00:58 AM »
I say really torture him.......put him in the same cell as Paris Hilton.  ;D

she'd think he was HOT
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 09:05:54 AM »
I hope this won't interfere with my receiving $20 million for helping the cousin of a deceased Nigerian price collect his inheritance.
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »
Blaming the FBI?  This should be interesting.

Congressman Jefferson: 'I Am Absolutely Innocent' of Bribery Charges
Friday, June 08, 2007

June 8: Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who earlier this week was indicted for bribery and corruption, arrives at federal court in Alexandria, Va.
ALEXANDRIA, Va. —  Louisiana Democrat Rep. William Jefferson proclaimed his innocence Friday in his first public remarks since being indicted on bribery charges earlier this week.

“I am absolutely innocent of the charges that have been leveled against me. I’m going to fight my heart out to clear my name," Jefferson told reporters while standing next to his wife, Dr. Andrea Green Jefferson.

Jefferson earlier in the day pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing in U.S. District Court.

Judge T.S. Ellis let Jefferson out on a $100,000 bond and set his trial for Jan. 16. Ellis also denied Jefferson access to shotguns and rifles in his Louisiana home, which he said are used for hunting. Ellis on Thursday froze Jefferson's assets.

Jefferson was charged Monday with 16 criminal counts in a 94-page indictment, including racketeering, soliciting bribes, wire fraud, money laundering and obstruction of justice. The indictment comes two years after investigators raided Jefferson's home in Washington and found $90,000 in cash stuffed in a box in his freezer.

Jefferson defended the discovery of cash on Friday, saying it was part of an FBI sting operation.

Judge Freezes Congressman Jefferson's Assets House Launches Ethics Probe Into Congressman William Jefferson's Charges Congressman William Jefferson's Corruption Charges Lead to Political Uproar on Capitol Hill FOX Facts: Rep. William Jefferson Video
Bribery Charges "Did I bribe a foreign official? Absolutely not. The $90,000 was the FBI's money, the FBI gave to me as part of their plan, that I would give it to the Nigerian vice president, but I did not do that," Jefferson said. "When all the facts are understood, I expect to be fully vindicated, both in the minds of the jurors who will hear this case and in the mind of the general public."

. . .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279387,00.html