Author Topic: Why are American MMA fans so DISRESPECTFUL??????  (Read 3321 times)

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
Why are American MMA fans so DISRESPECTFUL??????
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
During the Sakubura / Gracie fight the 'fans' were constantly booing and jeering. It was pathetic, and proof yanks only appreciate brainless brawlers like Liddell.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
Re: Why are American MMA fans so DISRESPECTFUL??????
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »
During the Sakubura / Gracie fight the 'fans' were constantly booing and jeering. It was pathetic, and proof yanks only appreciate brainless brawlers like Liddell.

didnt saw the fight, but one of the reasons Pride started to gain so much fame some years ago (IMHO), was because the audience was 'prepared' and more avid to get more technical fights, even those who may be more on the ground and without too much movement. Sakuraba itself was in lot of these fights, where the 'chess game' is more proeminent in the fight than the action itself. You always had chance to see great grapplers fighting their own game. These kind of thing is not to common on UFC (correct me if im wrong)
 One of the reasons why the Gracies left UFC...they (ufc) wanted smaller rounds...more action...Wich is not good to a only jiu jitsu kind of fighter

!

mrt

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »
people dont go to the fights to see 2 grown men simulate sexual positions ,,,,,,,,,what wanna see girls get knocked out!!!!!!!!!!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:01 AM »
maybe they're not disrespectful enough? maybe they can take on the great european tradition of hooliganism!

fights in the cage - fights outside the cage!

Z

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
didnt saw the fight, but one of the reasons Pride started to gain so much fame some years ago (IMHO), was because the audience was 'prepared' and more avid to get more technical fights, even those who may be more on the ground and without too much movement. Sakuraba itself was in lot of these fights, where the 'chess game' is more proeminent in the fight than the action itself. You always had chance to see great grapplers fighting their own game. These kind of thing is not to common on UFC (correct me if im wrong)
 One of the reasons why the Gracies left UFC...they (ufc) wanted smaller rounds...more action...Wich is not good to a only jiu jitsu kind of fighter

I think you are saying the jiu-jitsu is boring.  Which if you are is 100% correct.  I remember when the Gracies were trying to market the jiu-jitsu to Hollywood.  They made a promotion tape with my friend Graig Kukuk and Royce.  This was also after they had the huge article in Playboy (which I arranged).  The people they were meeting basically told Rorian that is was too boring.  The first Hollywood film they got associated with was Lethal Weapon.  The line was changed from Dan Glover saying Karate to jiu-jitsu.  This was part of the deal Rorian told them for being hired as Fight Director of the film.  He worked with Mel.  Then is just grew from there. 

antcraw

• Getbig III
  • Legacy of Brutality
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »
I think you are saying the jiu-jitsu is boring.  Which if you are is 100% correct.  I remember when the Gracies were trying to market the jiu-jitsu to Hollywood.  They made a promotion tape with my friend Graig Kukuk and Royce.  This was also after they had the huge article in Playboy (which I arranged).  The people they were meeting basically told Rorian that is was too boring.  The first Hollywood film they got associated with was Lethal Weapon.  The line was changed from Dan Glover saying Karate to jiu-jitsu.  This was part of the deal Rorian told them for being hired as Fight Director of the film.  He worked with Mel.  Then is just grew from there. 

epic name dropping skills from 20 years ago.
I'm Nick's role model!

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:15:41 AM »

yeah, i know that history about Lethal Weapon. You know, yes, for someone who dont know the art jiu jitsu can be boring...Off course, if you put that person to fight a good JJ fighter, he will see that all that 'boring ground thing' is a LOT more hard than he thinks, hehehe

But even for movies i think it can be adapted...like what we saw on Lethal Weapon...I mean, not a completely ground fight, but a lot of takedowns, flying armbars, some crazy armlocks and some strange finalizations like crucifix, the 'omoplata', and things like that, would look great on movies.

see any Marcelinho Garcia fight on youtube...i doubt anyone will find that 'boring'  ;D .
!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 05:17:34 AM »

If they boo too loudly, the fighters should not be given their diplomas!
E

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »
Most people that boo due so because they don't understand what is going on.  If you wanna see standup, watch K1 or boxing.  If you wanna see people showcase an array of talents, watch MMA.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
I stopped going to local Hawaii events because of the ignorant crowds.  "Stand em UP,"  "Fag fight,"  are just some of the things muttered by beer muscled knuckleheads who really want to see a kickboxing match.  I loved watching shooto fighters come to Hawaii.  Very slick ground work, establishing position, taking instruction from their corner, dropping a good GNP then securing a sick submisson.  I have been able to see Jutaro Nakao, Rumina Sato, Vitor Gracie (later, rightfully called Belfort after Relson made a stink), Pat Millitech, Matt Hughes, Egan Inoue, Masanori Suda, Frank Shamrock, Yves Edwards, John Allessio, Joe Doerkson, etc....

I love watching a good BJJ match.  Marcelo Garcia, Jacare, Roger Gracie, Shinya Aoki, JJ Machado are all exciting fighters who work for submission, not points.  Too many fighters today are content to get the takedown, pass guard and wait.  I don't think BJJ is boring by anymeans anymoreso than powerlifting or bodybuilding. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »
Most people that boo due so because they don't understand what is going on.  If you wanna see standup, watch K1 or boxing.  If you wanna see people showcase an array of talents, watch MMA.

I agree with your statement.  A lot of fans unfamiliar with the ground game become frustrated when a fight goes to the ground.  They don't realize its a integral part of MMA and that its not always just two guys rolling around.  Its appropriate to stand people up when nothing is happening but refs must use discretion wisely.  If MMA loses its appreciation for the ground game it turns into a tough man competition.  That would take the sport backwards and not forward towards a better integration of stand up and ground game.  Fans have to be trained now to appreciate what is happening on the ground.  In its rush towards popularity mma has attempted to court fans with the promise of brutal knockouts.  They shouldnt be so surprised if fans boo when they dont get what was promised to them.
A

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »
I agree with your statement.  A lot of fans unfamiliar with the ground game become frustrated when a fight goes to the ground.  They don't realize its a integral part of MMA and that its not always just two guys rolling around.  Its appropriate to stand people up when nothing is happening but refs must use discretion wisely.  If MMA loses its appreciation for the ground game it turns into a tough man competition.  That would take the sport backwards and not forward towards a better integration of stand up and ground game.  Fans have to be trained now to appreciate what is happening on the ground.  In its rush towards popularity mma has attempted to court fans with the promise of brutal knockouts.  They shouldnt be so surprised if fans boo when they dont get what was promised to them.

Very astute observation.  The problem is a lot of coaches are teaching fighters to hold position, (especially from full or half guard) and wait for the stand up.  These fighters should be penalized for stalling much like Pride did with the yellow cards.  If it is being taught as a technique and allowed to continue, then it will become a glorified toughman contest. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 01:58:54 AM »
Most new mma fans are not involved and have never been involved in mma to any significant degree.

The unfortuante thing about that to me is they don't truely appreciate the work that goes into getting positions and submissions and therefore think it's boring.

Lots of recent mma fights have had tremendous booing from the fans.  The ufc on spike had a couple matches that were almost booed out of the stadium...so much so that Dana scratched them from the broadcast and few hours later.  Even with that a couple other fights were also booed but they had to show them.  The ones that got scratched were also advertised matches as well.

Announcers should put over the action in the ring, smarten up fans instead of agreeing with them.  You do not get new fans, especvially naive ones, if you agree with booing ground work, and standingf them up takes away the mma element. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 06:01:50 AM »
Very astute observation.  The problem is a lot of coaches are teaching fighters to hold position, (especially from full or half guard) and wait for the stand up.  These fighters should be penalized for stalling much like Pride did with the yellow cards.  If it is being taught as a technique and allowed to continue, then it will become a glorified toughman contest. 

I agree.  The overuse of the clench in boxing for example has slowed the pace of fights down considerably.  I would hate for the same thing to happen in MMA. Penalties for stalling after a fighter has been warned are a good start.
A