Author Topic: Question for the Pros.....  (Read 2562 times)

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Question for the Pros.....
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »
why do pros find it necessary to wear a lifting belt ALL the time nowdays? i even see them wearing them during lateral raises, curls, flies, etc etc.....i can understand heavy compounds like deads, squats, etc...but what is the reason for wearing them for everything? they actually weaken your core and create huge increases in blood pressure....

also, do any of you think that this may have a small contribution to the distended stomachs on so many pros now? if your core is always stabalized by a "crutch", it makes sense that it would not want to support itself...

discuss!!

thanks!

FloridaMuscle

• Getbig II
  • live to train, train to live
Re: Question for the Pros.....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
Thats a good question man. The pro's Ive met use them for the rigerous excercises like squats and heavy dead's .... but I cant say Ive seem them using them for curls or lat raises.... I know some of the old school guys like to wear them. Guess it just depends

Slintowin

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • I saw you just the other day my how you have grow
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:04:48 PM »
I wear my belt all the time until this last weak when someone stole it dont know why but they did and I have been having extreme back pain now from not wearing my belt I think infact I went to a seminar this past weekend and one of the parts worked was shoulders and I could barely finish my lower back hurt so bad

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »

No Patience, I actually read somewhere a while ago that wearing a tight belt can somehow help you control that distended stomach.  Not sure if its true or not.

I just wear a belt on my heavier sets of squats and deads, and maybe rows.

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »
No Patience, I actually read somewhere a while ago that wearing a tight belt can somehow help you control that distended stomach.  Not sure if its true or not.

I heard that too years ago, but many belive it to be an old wives tale. 
Personally I feel that it hurts you because you dont have to use your core for support on many lifts.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
I heard that too years ago, but many belive it to be an old wives tale. 
Personally I feel that it hurts you because you dont have to use your core for support on many lifts.

BINGO! Your core is weaker. Your transverse abs (deep layer of abs that have to do with support of your torso and low back) have not had to work to support your back because of the belt so you get weaker in the lower back region. Core is everything from torso to your ass.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »

I just wear a belt on my heavier sets of squats and deads, and maybe rows.
i heard that too, its meant to be based on the victorian times of corsets, making girls waists really really small.

but it hasn't helped the pro's much today. but then again they dony wear one all day long, like they did in those days.
175lbs by 31st July

Slintowin

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • I saw you just the other day my how you have grow
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »
back to wearing my belt again new one today with my engraving on it

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 04:21:12 AM »
I wear my belt all the time until this last weak when someone stole it dont know why but they did and I have been having extreme back pain now from not wearing my belt I think infact I went to a seminar this past weekend and one of the parts worked was shoulders and I could barely finish my lower back hurt so bad

if you cannot figure that one out mate you ain't to smart :o :o

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »

cannot imagine why without a belt you are having extreme back pain ::) it is no different than taking crack away from a crackhead, they tend to have problems while detoxing

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »

you know what some bastard stole my damn weight lifting belt recently too. I had it broken in and everything. I WILL FIND YOU PUNK!!!!!!

meltdown