Author Topic: Teflon LeBron?  (Read 1631 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Teflon LeBron?
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »
Any opinions on LeBron skipping the birth of his second child to play in the NBA Finals?  I heard an interview where he said "I was there for my first one" and his girlfriend knows how much he loves his teammates.  Haven't really heard any criticism.  I know people will have different opinions, but I think the birth of a child trumps an NBA Finals game. 

LeBron hopeful of being present for the birth of his second son
Associated Press

CLEVELAND - As if the NBA Finals weren't big enough, LeBron James has another major event in his life coming up.
He has another son on the way - soon.

Cleveland's All-Star forward, enjoying the highest point of his professional career, is also thrilled about the upcoming birth of his second son with girlfriend Savannah Brinson, who had the couple's first child, LeBron James Jr., in 2004.

"It's great," James said yesterday shortly before the Cavaliers left for San Antonio. "Any time you are able to have another child and something to live for and have responsibility for, it's always a big step in any man's life. And that I'm a part of the finals, something I've always watched growing up, it's something special."

Brinson is due to deliver on June 17, when the Cavaliers are tentatively scheduled to host Game 5 in Cleveland.

If she goes into labor and the Cavaliers are still in Texas, James may not be able to get back to Ohio in time for the birth. The 22-year-old has discussed that possibility with his loved ones.

"My family understands what's going on," he said. "We've sat down and talked and we know how important this is for me and how important I am to my teammates. Savannah knows that and she knows if there's an opportunity I can be there, I will." *

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20070606_LeBron_hopeful_of_being_present_for_the_birth_of_his_second_son.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Teflon LeBron?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »
So there is a tiny bit of criticism. 

LeBron needs to be The Man off the court, too
June 8, 2007

Here's something I found out today about LeBron James that I didn't know. After earlier in the week anointing him as the great leader that he is, this tarnishes the armor a little. As we have had many a discussion on leadership roles for men both inside and outside of sports, I thought we might have a discussion tonight about babies. I should preface this monologue by saying that I have not experienced fatherhood, but I have experienced the joy of seeing others become parents.

Every year a big-name athlete goes through the trauma of having to decide between experiencing a big moment in his career or being there for the birth of a child. We all remember Phil Mickelson telling us that if his wife went into labor during the 1999 U.S. Open, he would leave the course no matter his position in the tournament.

When the athlete makes the right choice and goes to be with the mother of his child he is hailed as some great hero. "Oh, what a wonderful husband and father." Excuse me, but isn't that part of the great responsibility of fatherhood and part of an even greater responsibility as a leader in the house? Should we really have to laud someone for doing the right thing? Oh, sorry. It is 2007. Yes, we have so few celebs who do the right thing, we need to laud them. I'm just saying there shouldn't even be a question as to what the right choice is.

Well, here comes another "dilemma" for a superstar athlete. Actually, I should break this down to a lower denominator. Here comes another "dilemma" for a man.

LeBron has stated that if given the choice between playing in Game 5 of the NBA Finals and being there for his girlfriend while she gives birth to their second child, gimme that ball!

"My family understands what's going on," he said. "We've sat down and talked and we know how important this is for me and important I am to my teammates. Savannah knows that and she knows if there's an opportunity I can be there, I will. And if not, I'm going to support my teammates. She understands."

(Buzzer) WRONG ANSWER! He goes on to say, "You know you're not just out there playing for yourself. You've got responsibility. You've got a last name to hold up. I've got a son and another son that I've got to represent out there. I don't want to make them look bad." Look bad? Their dad is LeBron James! If LeBron James stayed home because he wanted to be there for the birth of his son, that would make them look better! Real men make real choices.

If LeBron stayed home and the Cavs lost to the Spurs and he never had another chance to win a ring, history would look at him, not as the Dan Marino of basketball, but as a man who was a leader in the truest sense -- in his home. He's worried about his reputation. I think his reputation would go through the roof by doing the honorable thing.

I can't think of any situation I wouldn't leave if my wife were having our child. I wouldn't care if she gave me her blessing and kicked me out the door. The man of the house is a leader. He must be there not only for the conception, but for the birthing and for the raising of the child.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this, in respect to what LeBron should do, but I'm most interested in what you would do.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=219537

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 02:14:27 AM »
i think there's a big difference between walking off a golf course in a golf tournament where you're playing for yourself and leaving in the middle of the nba finals and letting down 11 other teamates that you've spent all season with working towards getting to the finals
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »
i think there's a big difference between walking off a golf course in a golf tournament where you're playing for yourself and leaving in the middle of the nba finals and letting down 11 other teamates that you've spent all season with working towards getting to the finals

You ever experienced labor and delivery (with a woman)?  I think labor and delivery are far more difficult and important than winning a basketball game.  They're most likely going to lose the series anyway.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »

It was important that I be present for the birth of our first child. 

I already do NOT feel that way about the second, and the wife ain't even pregnant yet!   ;D

That said, if I knew we were having a boy, then I'd want to be there. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
It was important that I be present for the birth of our first child. 

I already do NOT feel that way about the second, and the wife ain't even pregnant yet!   ;D

That said, if I knew we were having a boy, then I'd want to be there. 

LOL!   ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont
haha yep pretty much.

Ari_gold

• Getbig II
  • Team Patrick Bateman