Author Topic: A. Schwarzenegger tells Mexicans on TV to switch of Hispanic TV and learn englis  (Read 2956 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
The Requirement for Mexicans to be here should have something to do with nuetering them first. They multiply like rats or roaches and smell like them too.  ;D  We already have enough ghettos and slum areas, we don't need anymore.

youandme

• Getbig V
Why then are the whites in american not speaking the language of the Native Americans?..You are still none the less an ILLEGAL ALIEN in america and despite the fact that whites have illegally crossed the border into america and have stayed there and bred their does NOT make them LEGAL. Isn't it funny that the same things whites have done is looked upon differently when someone else/race does the same thing?

Hmmmmmm... Here is the solution...EVERYONE OTHER THAN THE NATIVE PEOPLE GET THE HELL OUT OF AMERICA AND WAIT UNTIL THE NATIVE PEOPLE SET UP SOCIAL SECURIY OFFICES, IMMIGRATION OFFICES, SETUP PASSPORT OFFICES, SETUP GREEN CARD OFFICES AND VISA OFFICES AND THEN THEY CAN DECIDE WHO CAN AND CAN'T RETURN TO AMERICA. NOW THAT IS FAIR...

BTW...Arnie should be the last thing to speak of a person or people not speaking English...he has been in america for decades and that NAZI lover still sounds like he is speaking from a Auschwitz camp....Give me a break

Oh brother  ::)

No one except for invaders want a bicultural US that speaks spanglish

Eric2

• Getbig IV
Why then are the whites in american not speaking the language of the Native Americans?..You are still none the less an ILLEGAL ALIEN in america and despite the fact that whites have illegally crossed the border into america and have stayed there and bred their does NOT make them LEGAL. Isn't it funny that the same things whites have done is looked upon differently when someone else/race does the same thing?

Hmmmmmm... Here is the solution...EVERYONE OTHER THAN THE NATIVE PEOPLE GET THE HELL OUT OF AMERICA AND WAIT UNTIL THE NATIVE PEOPLE SET UP SOCIAL SECURIY OFFICES, IMMIGRATION OFFICES, SETUP PASSPORT OFFICES, SETUP GREEN CARD OFFICES AND VISA OFFICES AND THEN THEY CAN DECIDE WHO CAN AND CAN'T RETURN TO AMERICA. NOW THAT IS FAIR...

BTW...Arnie should be the last thing to speak of a person or people not speaking English...he has been in america for decades and that NAZI lover still sounds like he is speaking from a Auschwitz camp....Give me a break

Not too smart are you? First off...........there are no native Americans there never where any native Americans on this land to begin with. All of the "Indians" on American soil came over here thousands of years ago via the land bridge from Russia to Alaska. The "Native Americans" are actually of Asian decent.
    Next lesson, the Mexicans speak "Spanish". Where did this language originate from? Holly shit!!!!Spain!!! The conquring Conquistidor's from Spain forced there lifestyle and Christianity upon the Mayans and spread out through all of Mexico.
   Arnold brings a valid point to the table. If you wish to do well in America like any other Nation then learn the language spoken there. You want to play asshole historian with your bullshit Native American theories? The "Native Americans" all speak english and learned it well all while retaining their cultural language spoken on the reservations and within their families.
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
h

Deadpool

• Getbig V

Next lesson, the Mexicans speak "Spanish". Where did this language originate from? Holly shit!!!!Spain!!! The conquring Conquistidor's from Spain forced there lifestyle and Christianity upon the Mayans and spread out through all of Mexico.

excellent point!
X

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
I think many of you have allowed yourselves to be swayed by Arnold's pithy sound byte.

Why the heck should people turn off hispanic TV?
Why would watching hispanic TV and learning to speak English be mutually exclusive? They're not.

How many of you if you moved to Spain or France or Italy, ...would not want to watch American TV while abroad?

Even if you were fluent in the other language, ...I know some of you would still get a hankering for The Sopranos, or an episode of "Lost" every once in a while, ...as well as want to keep track of news, and current events from a land where you still have relatives.

Neither CBS Nightly news nor any of the other "mainstream" stations carry current events programming or regular news content about regions that hispanic TV covers. Hispanic TV is not the problem. It simply serves a market niche that wants a particular content.

Arnold may want full integration into American society & culture, but Hispanic TV is not the barrier that prevents this. Don't fall so easily for convenient scapegoats that come in the form of pithey sound bytes.
w

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
"Why would watching hispanic TV and learning to speak English be mutually exclusive? They're not."

of course they're not. the problem is not hispanic tv in itself and arnold was not alluding to it.

the problem is that many of them speak very little english and, for all intents and purposes, act like their still living in their motherland, but of course i know you know this otherwise you wouldn't have reached for your pathetic comparison to an american VISTING another country.

finally a politician who has the balls to actually say what the problem is and suggest how to fix it :o and, as always, civil libertarians like you sit on their hands and jeer from the sidelines disingenuous pseudo politics.

i believe arnold refers to people like you as 'girly men'. ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
"Why would watching hispanic TV and learning to speak English be mutually exclusive? They're not."

of course they're not. the problem is not hispanic tv in itself and arnold was not alluding to it.

No it wasn't an allusion, ...it was a direct statement, thrown out as meat for carniverous xenophobes.

the problem is that many of them speak very little english and, for all intents and purposes, act like their still living in their motherland, but of course i know you know this otherwise you wouldn't have reached for your pathetic comparison to an american VISTING another country.

finally a politician who has the balls to actually say what the problem is and suggest how to fix it :o and, as always, civil libertarians like you sit on their hands and jeer from the sidelines disingenuous pseudo politics.

i believe arnold refers to people like you as 'girly men'. ;D

Actually my comparison was to an American who has "moved", not one VISITING. re-read the comment.

What we have is not a politician with the balls to say what the problem is, ...what we have is a politician who knows how to cater to, if not pander to a segment of his constituency, with sound bytes that mean nothing, and allow people to rant & rave and be lulled into feeling the man in the governor's mansion understands our concerns. Arnold is as republican as they come, ...and if you think he truly objects to the masses of illegal immigrants crossing into California, ...think again. He understands the positive economic impact it has on his state, ...regardless of what he says. Given an opportunity to change it, ...I don't believe he would. Ask him how he feels about blanket amnesty. Better yet, look up his voting record on these matters. That will give you your answer.

What's wrong with being a civil libertarian? It's certainly preferable to being a conformist xenophobic nazi? no?

ps - Arnold refers to people like me as 'girly-girls'   8)

pps - My comments are not simply based on theoretical speculation, but rather observation and experience with decades of multi-cultural TV. It's a relatively recent phenomena in the US compared to Canada where it has been a staple for decades. We have found ethnic language programming has been an extremely helpful bridge towards integration into the contemporary mainstream, and has facilitated cultural understanding and the breaking down of barriers between various groups.  It has also helped many newcomers to get a better grasp on learning English as well.
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
The Spanish television is an example of the larger problem of not wanting to assimilate.  Go to East LA or Phoenix, etc, etc. and you will see how much people do not assimilate.  I see people ordering food in line at a burger joint and they can't even say the burger they want or whether they want onions on it.  How pathetic is that?  It isn't like these people just came across the border and went to order.  Insteading of watching Telemundo and the novelas all day long, turn on English television and learn some language or acutally interact and try to speak the language.  Make it illegal to have any other language than English in places like supermarkets and see how fast they learn.  I don't see Mandarin writing under the English writing in the above mentioned areas.  Why is this issue only made a big deal because this particular group thinks they are entitled to something.  Learning the language is the way to survive and succeed.  I am sure many of these people could get better jobs if they didn't sound illiterate and fresh over the border but they don't and the bleeding hearts want to make us feel guilty.
Squishy face retard

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Speak English!  I speak spanish and some portuguese only when it's too my advantage.  The rest of the time I pretend I don't know what they are saying

the only exception I make is with Sign Language.  Spanish speakers could CHOOSE to learn english, but no one CHOOSES to be deaf.
X

24KT

• Getbig V
The Spanish television is an example of the larger problem of not wanting to assimilate.  Go to East LA or Phoenix, etc, etc. and you will see how much people do not assimilate.

Why would I want to go to East LA? When i lived there, i knew enough to stay either West or North. Even if I got lost, I would make sure my car was pointed either West or North, or both. If worse came to worse, I'd either end up in Malibu or Westlake Village. eitherway that was fine.  :P

I see people ordering food in line at a burger joint and they can't even say the burger they want or whether they want onions on it. How pathetic is that?

I would think ordering a burger in a fast food joint is a uniquely North American thing, and is in fact an example of assimilation. The fact that someone would actually eat a dead cow is pathetic enough.  :P

It isn't like these people just came across the border and went to order.  Insteading of watching Telemundo and the novelas all day long, turn on English television and learn some language or acutally interact and try to speak the language.  Make it illegal to have any other language than English in places like supermarkets and see how fast they learn.

Oh brilliant, now you're sounding like the Quebecois, who went so far as to try to make English illegal. Telemundo and novellas are not to blame. They are simply sources of alternative media content that is very much in demand. To refer to them as special treatment or priviledges is a specious argument. I'd hate to see your reaction if NBC Nightly news were to forego news about Capitol Hill in favour of the goings on in the Italian Parliament.

I don't see Mandarin writing under the English writing in the above mentioned areas.  Why is this issue only made a big deal because this particular group thinks they are entitled to something.

What is in reality common sense and good business, you see as a special entitlement. Manufacturers put additional languages on their labels to attract new customers. If someone inclined to read labels is unable to read the label, they'll buy a product whose label they can read. I can see why this would stand out for you, however, from my perspective it isn't an issue. I've grown up with bilingual labels all my life, English / French etc. Lately, in the last 10 years, I've seen additional languages added as well. In addition to English, French, and Spanish, Mandarin & Arabic are not unusual texts to see written on labels in my grocery store. The only part that annoys me is when I'm unable to see English on the labels. My favourite bakery / grocery store has a high percentage of products with labels predominantly in Portuguese. These are the exact same products in the large chain stores, by the same manufacturers, ...however the labels are in Portuguese. 

Learning the language is the way to survive and succeed.  I am sure many of these people could get better jobs if they didn't sound illiterate and fresh over the border but they don't and the bleeding hearts want to make us feel guilty.

Success and survival doesn't require fluency in the predominant language, and those desiring only to survive lack ambition. I don't disagree that fluency in the language of a predominate culture could lead to a better job, and I don't disagree it facilitates the ability to thrive, however, I don't believe alternative language media like Telemundo is to blame.
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Labels on the food are one thing, labels in the store on signs are a problem.

Ordering burgers is something that happens in many other countries.  You can do it here, Germany, and yes even Mexico, along with a number of other places.  For someone to be incapable of ordering a burger with or without onions and not being able to say whether they want it to go or not is sad.

Sticking strictly to Spanish-speaking media is one of many ways to keep oneself from assimilating and nobody can deny that.

As far as fluency in English being correlated to success, yes there is in this and many other countries in this era.  Many people who are not fluent in English, accent or not, are keeping people from becoming more of a success or achieving goals.  However, they do not speak the language and it hurts them. 
Squishy face retard

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT

I know, for someone who has been speaking english so long his accent is not too good. I am surprised the man never took speech lessons. I started with them a few years back, and barely have a trace of an accent now when I speak english [or so I like to think ;D] Many people who are not native english speakers talk way better than him.......

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Learn english, fuckers.

24KT

• Getbig V
Labels on the food are one thing, labels in the store on signs are a problem.

They're really only a problem if you don't understand them.

Ordering burgers is something that happens in many other countries.  You can do it here, Germany, and yes even Mexico, along with a number of other places.  For someone to be incapable of ordering a burger with or without onions and not being able to say whether they want it to go or not is sad.

Well wouldn't that be more indicative of a bigger problem than a lack of fluency in english?
Sounds to me more like you saw an idiot, rather than someone who didn't speak english.

Sticking strictly to Spanish-speaking media is one of many ways to keep oneself from assimilating and nobody can deny that.

Who says people stick strickly to Spanish speaking media? I'm sure there are some who may do that, ...however, there are those who stick strictly to FoxNews, and don't watch any of the variety of entertainment programming content available.

As far as fluency in English being correlated to success, yes there is in this and many other countries in this era.  Many people who are not fluent in English, accent or not, are keeping people from becoming more of a success or achieving goals.  However, they do not speak the language and it hurts them. 

I'm not entirely sure of the point you're trying to make here, but if I'm reading you correctly, I think your comment is analogous to saying that Lane Bryant is keeping fat people from losing weight by making clothing in their sizes. I don't agree with that analogy. I don't believe that Hispanic TV keeps people from learning english, and I don't believe that turning it off will help them learn english any faster. Turning it off will simply keep them ignorant about current affairs, current events, and the communities within which they live.

We experienced this same debate about 10 years ago here in Canada, when people wanted to restrict immigration to only those who spoke either one of our 2 official languages. We had too many examples of multi-bazillionaires who came to Canada unable to speak either English or French, many still unable to speak either English or French, who were extremely successful, and whose children & grandchildren have become significant pillars of the community. The contributions of immigrants are far too often discounted and undervalued. The impact often only realized in coming generations

There is no doubt fluency in english goes a long way in North America, however, forcing someone who does not want to learn it, is the equivalent of trying to force someone to get a medical degree, law degree, or an MBA. There is no doubt most get further in life with an MBA, but I'm not about to scapegoat 'The Simpson's' cause Joe lunchbox would rather punch a time clock and dig dirt from under his nails than have a career path filled with MontBlancs & papercuts.
w