Author Topic: SOMEONE REPLY DAMMIT  (Read 4844 times)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
SOMEONE REPLY DAMMIT
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:47 AM »
Shin splints.  I know all the general advice.  Any supplements or creams I can take to heal them.  The muscular pain is gone but I have severe localized pain that feels like bruising.  I've had it for about a month now despite completely resting the area.  Would cortisone shots help?
It hasn't helped...

smaul

• Getbig IV
Re: treatment/supplements for
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »
bump! I hate this child board!
It hasn't helped...

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: SOMEONE REPLY DAMMIT
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
see a doctor...there, I replied
X

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Strech your feet up and down with your toes on a step of block of wood before you run, jog, or walk
X

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »
Shin splints.  I know all the general advice.  Any supplements or creams I can take to heal them.  The muscular pain is gone but I have severe localized pain that feels like bruising.  I've had it for about a month now despite completely resting the area.  Would cortisone shots help?

I've addresses this several times, true shin splints are pretty few and far inbetween, if you still have severe pain that feels like bruising it's more than likely you have "compartment syndrom" it's basically when your lower legs become engorged with blood creating pressure within the muscle compartments and viens and the pressure on the viens doesn't allow the blood to leave the muscle.

The first thing is to elevate and ice the area for a few hours, if that doesn't work go see a Doc right away, if it is compartment syndrom surgery might be required to relieve the pressure, if the blood isn't released the muscle could die. Obviously I'm not a Doctor and should see one to make sure.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:20:50 AM »
You're not very bright to have pain a month later and be asking here when you should've already seen a doctor.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »
You're not very bright to have pain a month later and be asking here when you should've already seen a doctor.

bump!

smaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

I'm just really tough.

Thanks guys! will see a doctor now.  What do you reckon, spors therapist or orthopedic doctor?
It hasn't helped...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 06:46:47 AM »
I'm just really tough.

Thanks guys! will see a doctor now.  What do you reckon, spors therapist or orthopedic doctor?
I've come to the conclusion that if the diagnosis and solution don't work or aren't convincing, get a second opinion.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
I'm sure you solved the problem by now, but you may want to check out your foot wear anyway. Ill fitting shoes, plus running/walking on a hard surface, will cause concern. Most people think their shoes are OK, though this can be misleading. A custom pair of training shoe can cost big bucks but well worth in in the long run. I'm assuming this is a training related injury, usually caused by sudden stops, turns, etc on unnatural surfaces. Basketball players, and some tennis players, seem to have an edge on this type of play.

The general term shin splints can cover a lot of injuries (bone, tendon, ligament, muscle tissue, nerve damage, etc). So any simple solution may not cover it at all. If you have not by now, than a suggestion would be to see a sports doctor who can be more  knowledgeable about training injuries. And the prevention of future ones. Good luck.
F

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »
I'd try antiinflammatory cream, such as diklofenak or ibuprofen, ketoprofen or the like.

Also, keep the shin warm.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

smaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 02:33:29 AM »
Have been to see a sportsd doctor, the symptoms dont match anything according to her so I've had x-rays taken.  They show nothing unusual, so she's put my on a magnesium supplement to try and heal the muscle.  Sounds like crap to me, don't know if it's worth getting a second opinion.
It hasn't helped...

CMBurns

• Getbig I
  • Excellent!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
if its compartment syndrome the synptoms will be reproducible, ( ie, pain after 10 minutes of running every time).  also there may be some numbness to the toes and a foot drop.  can usually be tested with pressure device hooked to a needle.

otherwise may just be tendinitis, gastroc may be overpowering the muscles on the front of the leg.   try aggressive stretching, run/walk intervals on treadmill with about 3deg of incline with for a few minutes followed by flat, and or biking

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 12:01:16 PM »
Acupuncture is worth a try here if the regular American Medical Mafia - Oh, I mean Industry (I refuse to call them "Health Care")  Is not helping.   Acupuncture seems to relax extremely tight/ spasming areas & help increase circulation. Ive had great results for pulls/ spasm.  It's Great for "soft tissue" issues.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:43:15 AM »
I used to get these as a kid.  They told me to put a weight on a strap, hang it over my foot (while sitting on something high enough to keep the feet off the ground) and raise the toe.  That is to say, the lower leg stay still, and the only thing moving is your foot.

Also, quit running for a time to allow it to heal, and find a low impact method for cardio.  If you go back to running, keep off pavement in favor of grass.  Also, make sure you've got good shoes - properly fitted, sufficient padding, etc.

HTH  8)