Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350253 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #400 on: September 29, 2008, 05:26:43 AM »
Did legs the other day and have been back to squating after taking a break.  But did squats 2 leg days in a row.  First squat workout back the weights felt kind of heavy but still pushed hard.  The second one the weights were feeling nice.  Best set was 425lbs for a fairly easy set of 10 and another set of 8 with that, I was suprised!  I had not gone over 405 for about a year but it was feeling so good had to try a little more, looking back I should have jumped up more in weight for that set.

I have a goal of squating 5 plates this winter for a set of 4-6, raw just a belt.  There is a mental block that keeps me from moving up to this, mainly it is a fear of injury.

Rest of the workout, the usual fluff.  ;)

You should be able to hit that goal this winter, no problem.   8)

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2008, 03:39:39 AM »

You should be able to hit that goal this winter, no problem.   8)

Thanks Rip  :-*  I think i can too.  I am gonna try and stay a bit leaner this winter too, will not worry about my weight but how the training belt fits, if I can see 5 holes without having to suffocate myself LOL its all good.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2008, 04:32:09 AM »
Despite my back problems, I HAD to do a leg workout last  night, and I HAD to do some compound movements, I couldn't stand just working machines anymore! 

I kept things really really light because of my back, but here's what I did...

SQUATS - ass to calves - 95 pounds x 15, 4 sets
Hammer Strength Leg Extensions - 25/sidex15, 35/sidex15 2 sets, 45/sidex12 2 sets
SLDL - 95 poundsx10 with a good stretch on every one, 3 sets
Seated Hammy Curl - 4 sets x 12-15

Quick workout, and then 20 mins on the elliptical.  I'll hit the calves separately later this week.  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2008, 05:13:04 AM »
Despite my back problems, I HAD to do a leg workout last  night, and I HAD to do some compound movements, I couldn't stand just working machines anymore! 

I kept things really really light because of my back, but here's what I did...

SQUATS - ass to calves - 95 pounds x 15, 4 sets
Hammer Strength Leg Extensions - 25/sidex15, 35/sidex15 2 sets, 45/sidex12 2 sets
SLDL - 95 poundsx10 with a good stretch on every one, 3 sets
Seated Hammy Curl - 4 sets x 12-15

Quick workout, and then 20 mins on the elliptical.  I'll hit the calves separately later this week.  :)

I know Rip the call of the squat rack is a strong one for sick fucks like us  8)

Good work girl!

I squated last night too, luv it!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2008, 05:22:50 AM »
I know Rip the call of the squat rack is a strong one for sick fucks like us  8)

Good work girl!

I squated last night too, luv it!

I just wish I could go a little heavier... but I'll save that for a few weeks from now, I suppose.

95x15 ass to calves for four sets is actually pretty damn hard! 

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

I just wish I could go a little heavier... but I'll save that for a few weeks from now, I suppose.

95x15 ass to calves for four sets is actually pretty damn hard! 

very true rip, i can make 95 feel more intense than 315 if its done right. Squeeze squeeze squeeze babY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
Had a quad bursting leg workout this morning..

This is how it went ;D

Leg Extensions 4x10-12

Front Squats 3x12

BB Split Squats 3x10-12

BB Sldl 3x10

Hack Good Mornings 3x10-12

Donkey Calf raises supersetted with Hanging Leg Raises 3x10-12 ea.....

Then did 20 minutes on the stepmill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »

This is how it went ;D

Leg Extensions 4x10-12

Front Squats 3x12

BB Split Squats 3x10-12

BB Sldl 3x10

Damn, great workout... nice volume!   8)

Hope you are sore after that one.  My glutes and hammies are still sore from my workout and I didn't even go heavy!   :P

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #408 on: October 09, 2008, 06:01:52 AM »
very true rip, i can make 95 feel more intense than 315 if its done right. Squeeze squeeze squeeze babY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bullshit. You need to stop that lightweight stuff now. I used to do that and i never grew doing it. It may feel like you are doing more with the soreness but i promise you you are getting very little out of it. Sometimes i don't even get muscle soreness from a leg work out. I am sitting here right now in the offseason probably at 8-12% bf (which is fairly high for me) and i have striations in my quads right now.

This is how it went ;D

Leg Extensions 4x10-12

Front Squats 3x12

BB Split Squats 3x10-12

BB Sldl 3x10

I would recommend  dropping your sets to about 6 working sets, 3 different excercises (not counting warm ups) and taking as much rest as needed to recover between sets. Yes, you can make amazing gains training as a natural like this  ;). Try not to stay in the gym over 45 mins.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #409 on: October 09, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Damn, great workout... nice volume!   8)

Hope you are sore after that one.  My glutes and hammies are still sore from my workout and I didn't even go heavy!   :P

Bullshit. You need to stop that lightweight stuff now. I used to do that and i never grew doing it. It may feel like you are doing more with the soreness but i promise you you are getting very little out of it. Sometimes i don't even get muscle soreness from a leg work out. I am sitting here right now in the offseason probably at 8-12% bf (which is fairly high for me) and i have striations in my quads right now.
I would recommend  dropping your sets to about 6 working sets, 3 different excercises (not counting warm ups) and taking as much rest as needed to recover between sets. Yes, you can make amazing gains training as a natural like this  ;). Try not to stay in the gym over 45 mins.

Hey guys, im actually "deloading" after the contest. My knees and lower back were bothering me, so im backing off right now and working on the "mind to muscle connection" I feel REALLY good now though, so im going to start using heavier weights ( leafy :) ) and after that its going to be on like donkey kong !!!!!

And nope didnt really get sore at all, just my hammies were sore from the deep stretch of the sldl's......but im going to do this for another week. Then switch to a more DC influenced style training. :) .........I think thats when the growth is going to start coming.

So i was one step ahead of u leafy! Just gotta heal up first. :)

p.s......i was just saying i could make 95 feel like 315, not saying i do 95lbs squats lol.........how big of a pussy would i look like doing that hahaha! ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: October 10, 2008, 04:09:47 AM »
It's definitely important to let yourself recover after doing a show.  I can't wait to do that myself... I have been training so hard for so long, I think I'm due for a loooooooong recovery.

Leafy, great to see you posting here. :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: October 13, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »
It's definitely important to let yourself recover after doing a show.  I can't wait to do that myself... I have been training so hard for so long, I think I'm due for a loooooooong recovery.

Leafy, great to see you posting here. :)

Yeah its important to take a break, but sometimes you get even more pumped and dont wanna stop, especially if you came very close to your goal.  But you will run yourself into the ground if you cant excersise some restraint.

Did legs tonight, it was leg press Monday LOL, quads sore already  :'(

Single leg leg extensions 4x12-15  Never did leg extensions first in all my training years but have found I am less prone to injury or chronic pain if I warm up with them first.

Flex Fitness sled leg press 4 work sets x 8-12 reps (plates are per side) 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10

Prone Hack machine 4x12 pretty light

Seated leg curls 4x10-12

Standing leg curls 4x10-12

Lying Leg curls 3x12

Its fun to leg press!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2008, 04:26:32 AM »
Yeah its important to take a break, but sometimes you get even more pumped and dont wanna stop, especially if you came very close to your goal.  But you will run yourself into the ground if you cant excersise some restraint.

Did legs tonight, it was leg press Monday LOL, quads sore already  :'(

Single leg leg extensions 4x12-15  Never did leg extensions first in all my training years but have found I am less prone to injury or chronic pain if I warm up with them first.

Flex Fitness sled leg press 4 work sets x 8-12 reps (plates are per side) 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10

Prone Hack machine 4x12 pretty light

Seated leg curls 4x10-12

Standing leg curls 4x10-12

Lying Leg curls 3x12

Its fun to leg press!

Good stuff Luv!  I find that my leg workouts are my longest... it definitely takes more than 45 mins.  Usually about 75 mins for legs, esp if I train calves too.

I have become less of a fan of the leg press because (1) the stress it puts on my lower back and (2) it's a pain in the ass to load/unload!   ;D
I do agree, though, that it's a great compound exercise for strength and mass building.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »

Good stuff Luv!  I find that my leg workouts are my longest... it definitely takes more than 45 mins.  Usually about 75 mins for legs, esp if I train calves too.

I have become less of a fan of the leg press because (1) the stress it puts on my lower back and (2) it's a pain in the ass to load/unload!   ;D
I do agree, though, that it's a great compound exercise for strength and mass building.   8)

Thanks Rip!  Yes i usually alternate workouts based on squats or lep presses.  I train quads and hams the same workout so yeah it takes a while.  About like you said 75 min or so. 

The leg press used to give me problems also.  The time I hurt my back the worst, was on the leg press but I was kind of young and careless.  Comming down too fast and deep almost bouncing off the bottom.  Now I get a bit below parralell or to the point where my butt starts to lift off the seat and keep the weight under control.  Still gotta be careful though I have tweaked my knee, achilleis tendon and hamstring on the LP.

I think certian LP's are better than others, also the seat back angle can affect the pressure on your spine too.  I really think the Flex sled machine is the best I have used though.  Yes a pain to pull 20 plates off that thing, but when 20 45's are lying on the floor next to the machine it looks very nice  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: December 11, 2008, 04:16:11 AM »
I did my first full leg workout in over a month last night.  I am WEAK!  I went light and high rep, just trying to get myself used to the workouts again and ease back into heavier training....and I am already sore.   :-\

It was probably the first time I squatted in like 6 weeks, and my quads felt like they had shards of glass running through them while I was squatting.  I also definitely need to get my lower back fixed before I start going heavy...something's still not right down there!

SQUATS - Ass to calves!
95x15
115x12 (3 sets)
95x15

LEG EXTENSIONS
50x15
70x12
90x10 (2 sets)
50x12

SEATED HAMMIES
50x15
70x10 (3 sets)
50x12

CALF EXTENSIONS - 5 sets 12-15 reps, 110 pounds
SEATED CALF RAISE - 3 sets 15 reps, 50 pounds

I finished off with two sets of lying hammy curls, one leg at a time, 30 pounds, alternating 4 reps per side to total 12 reps on each leg.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: December 11, 2008, 04:45:19 AM »
I did my first full leg workout in over a month last night.  I am WEAK!  I went light and high rep, just trying to get myself used to the workouts again and ease back into heavier training....and I am already sore.   :-\

It was probably the first time I squatted in like 6 weeks, and my quads felt like they had shards of glass running through them while I was squatting.  I also definitely need to get my lower back fixed before I start going heavy...something's still not right down there!

SQUATS - Ass to calves!
95x15
115x12 (3 sets)
95x15

LEG EXTENSIONS
50x15
70x12
90x10 (2 sets)
50x12

SEATED HAMMIES
50x15
70x10 (3 sets)
50x12

CALF EXTENSIONS - 5 sets 12-15 reps, 110 pounds
SEATED CALF RAISE - 3 sets 15 reps, 50 pounds

I finished off with two sets of lying hammy curls, one leg at a time, 30 pounds, alternating 4 reps per side to total 12 reps on each leg.

Nice Rip!

I know what you mean about the quads feeling like shards of glass are in there during the workout.  I will end up having post workout soreness right after the workout, when it normally tales a day or 2 to set in.  You can pretty much be sure you will be nice and sore when it feels liuke that. 8)

I did legs too and have not squatted in a while either.

I leg pressed, extensions, and lying press machine.  I do hammies also with quads, did some light SLDLs and can feel that today.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: December 11, 2008, 04:58:12 AM »
Nice Rip!

I know what you mean about the quads feeling like shards of glass are in there during the workout.  I will end up having post workout soreness right after the workout, when it normally tales a day or 2 to set in.  You can pretty much be sure you will be nice and sore when it feels liuke that. 8)

I did legs too and have not squatted in a while either.

I leg pressed, extensions, and lying press machine.  I do hammies also with quads, did some light SLDLs and can feel that today.

Oh Lord, I'm sure I will barely be able to walk tomorrow.  When I was getting close to Nationals, my ability to recover from workouts was non-existent.  I did a leg workout about 2 weeks out from the show, no squats or big exercises at all, just machines... I was so sore about 2 days later that I was literally sick.  That's some serious DOMS right there...I've also noticed with DOMS that I get extra hungry.  The two days after my leg (and back) workouts, I am hungry non-stop. 

little D

• Getbig II
« Reply #417 on: December 11, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »
Hey Rip hows it going? I see you are back at it, good for you! Its hard to come back isnt it? I am training by but off now hoping to get bigger & better. You have set the bar very high MISSY! LOL  ;)
I wish I could do ass to calves but by knee wont allow it. I am glad you are back at it! Thought about what next year will bring?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: December 11, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Hey Rip hows it going? I see you are back at it, good for you! Its hard to come back isnt it? I am training by but off now hoping to get bigger & better. You have set the bar very high MISSY! LOL  ;)
I wish I could do ass to calves but by knee wont allow it. I am glad you are back at it! Thought about what next year will bring?

LOL thanks Little D!  It is hard to get back into the swing of things.  It's been close to 24 hours now, and my knees are starting to buckle when I walk.   :-[

Not sure yet what next year will bring... I am still too busy over-analyzing what happened this year.    ::)

Need to check some competition schedules, look at the calendar, think about work, and see what kind of plan I can put together.  The rest of this month is dedicated to easing back into heavy lifting, and then we'll get serious in January!! 

Feel free to post your lower body workouts in here... it's nice to see what others do!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #419 on: December 11, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
Luv and little D will have to get together for a big leg workout and maybe a few pics to record the event, cause it will be earth shattering.   Woman and children will huddle in corners to escape the intenstity and the screams of pain  ;D

little D

• Getbig II
« Reply #420 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
Dear Hurt... I needed That Laugh!!!!  ;D  I would love to do a leg day with you. I am doing quads on Mondays and hams/quads on Fridays. Started this 2 weeks ago. I normally do am, but I cant resist seeing people huddled in corners watching us...wont they be entertained when my ovaries pop out and roll away! LOL  ;D Always looking for a good challenge!!  ........................ ........................ .....................(I am scared) Shhhhhhh dont tell anyone! LOL  :-X

I will post my lower body workout after Tim kills me. LOL  :D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: December 11, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »
Dear Hurt... I needed That Laugh!!!!  ;D  I would love to do a leg day with you. I am doing quads on Mondays and hams/quads on Fridays. Started this 2 weeks ago. I normally do am, but I cant resist seeing people huddled in corners watching us...wont they be entertained when my ovaries pop out and roll away! LOL  ;D Always looking for a good challenge!!  ........................ ........................ .....................(I am scared) Shhhhhhh dont tell anyone! LOL  :-X

I will post my lower body workout after Tim kills me. LOL  :D

;D  LOL you will probally kill me D.  We will be doing this soon, Monday for quads sounds like a good day  8)

Little D is also a great trainer and is one of about only 2-3 trainers I would recomend at our gym.

little D

• Getbig II
« Reply #422 on: December 12, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
 :-[ Aww shucks.... Ok Lets do this! Give me a week to recover. Shoulder, back & Bi tendon are all messed up. This heavy heavy lifting is taking its toll on my bod. Should be good to go in a week.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #423 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
There had better be video coverage of this epic event.   ;D

I didn't get a chance to tell you last week, but I was crippled for three days from that last leg workout.  Gonna go back tomorrow for more pain.  I really need to start upping the weight, dropping the reps, and getting my body used to being under heavy weight again. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: December 18, 2008, 04:12:57 AM »
Last night's leg workout wasn't terrible.  It was waaaaay better than last week, and I can tell that I am going to be much less sore, so I am starting to get back into the swing of things.

No spotter last night, and still having lower back problems, so I was reluctant to put too much weight on the bar, but I am getting there.  Other thing I need to do is remember to pack my damn weightlifting shoes b/c squatting in my cardio shoes is horrible.

SQUATS - Ass to calves!
warmup 65x15
95x15
135x8 (3 sets)
95x15

LEG EXTENSIONS - Several sets, lost count, some with one leg at a time, some together

SEATED HAMMIES - 3 sets

I tried out the Life Fitness leg press machine for two sets, but I found it to be a total waste of time.

SLDL - slow and light with lots of stretch
80x12
95x8 (3 sets)

And 25 mins on the bike.

I'll be changing these workouts up alot after new years.  Gonna be much more focused on the squatting and I'll eliminate alot of the other exercises for a while.   8)