Author Topic: questioning my faith  (Read 12945 times)

homer77

• Getbig II
questioning my faith
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:00:49 PM »
hi,
i have been dealing with this issue for some time now.   i was raised "born again" christian since the age of 2.  I have learned much throught the years.  I have watched how the church is run, how people act, the teachings of the bible, and the whole social interaction/ production of the church.  i enjoy learning and sharing all points of view.  i see that there are many faiths of the world and everyone thinks they are right mostly because they were raised that way.  there are converts who are trying to find their way or faith too. who's to say who is right and who is wrong?!  why do people die everyday in the name of faith?!  i do believe that there is an allmighty power or god who created everything- the unmoved mover (st thomas aquinas).  maybe god is just an engraved part of my personality or subconsious that my parents put there.  they would freakin flip if they heard this.  then again i have been sticking them with tough faith questions for years.  the toughest one was speaking in tongues.  evry week i got to church and immidiatly there are people speaking in tongues.  in the bible it says thjat the holy spirit consumed them and they were actually speaking real languages.  what i hear each week is mubbling and tongue twisting blaber.  its non sense.  is the holy spirit really making them do that as soon as they walk into service.  my parents responce was "its just our prayer language".  and what exact language is that?!  ohh shatabababa ba da - umcomadadadada.  sorry- i have watched and learned how people fall into the act and group think. 
the teachings of the vivle or any book of faith was written by man.  how do we really know they were inspired by god?  the creator of the mormon faith was inspired.  have you ever heard that story?! 
the bible- old testament- i truely feel they are tall tales.  they were not written until hundreds to thousands of years later.  over they years stories get greater and greater.  and who knows what the catholic church did to the bible during the middle ages and the reformation.  they were to power in europe and people in power would do any thing to make things go their way. 

wow, i am ranting now.  any one else share my frustration? 
dont go attacking me now.  its just whats been battling in my head. 

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: questioning my faith
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:20:53 AM »
turn over to buddhism, you'll feel better. A LOT better.

Trust me.  ;D ;D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:20:59 AM »
Take the religion out of the equation. If you believe in something and feel connected then continue move in that direction. IMHO as a christian I find people get to caught up in conforming to what type of christian or musulem or jew they are and miss the big picture. To me all religions have the basic tenents, and if you step back and look you will see more of the same and less of the different. There is a story in the bible about the tower of Babel and the spreading of the peoples and changing of language, if you look at that in a big picture sense could then we all not be on the same path but at different starting spots?

IMHO people read the bible like its the word of God and I think that right there is wrong. It hs been touched by to many hands and has to much that conflice and I find it a great read and a open door but for me the answer has always been prayer. I can talk and recieve answers if I open myself and I am willing to be humble and follow the path that has been laid before me. You can get many ways in life as long as you have faith in something.call it what you will but try calling and listening and see if that helps. it's not always easy with everything going on, but I bet if you asked for help you would get it. God does not let a single sheep wander in the dark alone that is asking for guidence.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:58:31 PM »
thanks,
i agree with the idea that almost all religions are basically the same.  why cant people get over their petty differences and try to see that.  i was amazed that someone acyually agreed with my views on the bible. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 07:00:43 AM »
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

watch the first portion of this movie, it explains how christianity is based on paganism and is a lie.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 06:04:52 PM »
that was some movie!  watched the whole thing.  i want to research the sources now. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 06:37:42 AM »
that was some movie!  watched the whole thing.  i want to research the sources now. 

yes jesus is a myth. however, i like "his" teachings.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 05:37:35 AM »
hi,
i have been dealing with this issue for some time now.   i was raised "born again" christian since the age of 2.  I have learned much throught the years.  I have watched how the church is run, how people act, the teachings of the bible, and the whole social interaction/ production of the church.  i enjoy learning and sharing all points of view.  i see that there are many faiths of the world and everyone thinks they are right mostly because they were raised that way.  there are converts who are trying to find their way or faith too. who's to say who is right and who is wrong?!  why do people die everyday in the name of faith?!  i do believe that there is an allmighty power or god who created everything- the unmoved mover (st thomas aquinas).  maybe god is just an engraved part of my personality or subconsious that my parents put there.  they would freakin flip if they heard this.  then again i have been sticking them with tough faith questions for years.  the toughest one was speaking in tongues.  evry week i got to church and immidiatly there are people speaking in tongues.  in the bible it says thjat the holy spirit consumed them and they were actually speaking real languages.  what i hear each week is mubbling and tongue twisting blaber.  its non sense.  is the holy spirit really making them do that as soon as they walk into service.  my parents responce was "its just our prayer language".  and what exact language is that?!  ohh shatabababa ba da - umcomadadadada.  sorry- i have watched and learned how people fall into the act and group think. 
the teachings of the vivle or any book of faith was written by man.  how do we really know they were inspired by god?  the creator of the mormon faith was inspired.  have you ever heard that story?! 
the bible- old testament- i truely feel they are tall tales.  they were not written until hundreds to thousands of years later.  over they years stories get greater and greater.  and who knows what the catholic church did to the bible during the middle ages and the reformation.  they were to power in europe and people in power would do any thing to make things go their way. 

wow, i am ranting now.  any one else share my frustration? 
dont go attacking me now.  its just whats been battling in my head. 

Hi  homer77!  It's okay to question your faith.  I see that you were raised in church and in a Christian home.  So was I.  So when did you become a Christian? 

I was raised like you, but it wasn't until I was about 15 that I truly believed in Jesus Christ and thus became a Christian.  At that point, Jesus changed my life.  Before that, I was mean, angry, self centered, bitter and not very good to other people, including my parents.  I didn't mind being like that and I did not feel guilty about it.  But when I believed in Jesus, He changed me and made me a new person.  Though I am far from perfect now, everyone who new me before then noticed the difference, that I had become a new person.  I wasn't even trying to change and I was not expecting to change, but Jesus changed me. 

Not only that, but since then, I have experienced many hardships in my life.  I have lost loved ones who were very good people.  I have had loved ones close to me get very sick.  I have experienced financial uncertainty.  I have been laughed at, ridiculed and insulted for my faith in Jesus.  But through it all, Jesus was there, giving me peace, joy, hope and strength.  Jesus has always been there helping me grow spiritually. 

I have also seen Jesus in the life of other Christians around me.  People are quick to point out the bad Christians, or the so called "Christians" who are not Christians at all, or they are quick to point out the faults of good Christians.  But I am thankful that I have experienced the life of very good Christians in my life, including my parents.  They all have been role models and good examples to me.

I suggest you pray and ask God to strengthen your faith.  After that, I suggest that you continue to study the Bible, it's origins and history.  Read about the dead sea scrolls, Bible archeology, fulfilled Bible prophecy, the historicity of Jesus, the accuracy of the Gospels, the history of Israel, America's founding fathers, etc.  It all comes down to faith, but the more you study, the more you'll find out that history, archeology and science all support our faith in the God of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob, and in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who died for our sins.

homer77,
I have been praying for you since I first read your post.  There are other Christians on this board who are praying for you too.  God bless you and may Jesus Christ strengthen your faith!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
Hi  homer77!  It's okay to question your faith.  I see that you were raised in church and in a Christian home.  So was I.  So when did you become a Christian? 

I was raised like you, but it wasn't until I was about 15 that I truly believed in Jesus Christ and thus became a Christian.  At that point, Jesus changed my life.  Before that, I was mean, angry, self centered, bitter and not very good to other people, including my parents.  I didn't mind being like that and I did not feel guilty about it.  But when I believed in Jesus, He changed me and made me a new person.  Though I am far from perfect now, everyone who new me before then noticed the difference, that I had become a new person.  I wasn't even trying to change and I was not expecting to change, but Jesus changed me. 

Not only that, but since then, I have experienced many hardships in my life.  I have lost loved ones who were very good people.  I have had loved ones close to me get very sick.  I have experienced financial uncertainty.  I have been laughed at, ridiculed and insulted for my faith in Jesus.  But through it all, Jesus was there, giving me peace, joy, hope and strength.  Jesus has always been there helping me grow spiritually. 

I have also seen Jesus in the life of other Christians around me.  People are quick to point out the bad Christians, or the so called "Christians" who are not Christians at all, or they are quick to point out the faults of good Christians.  But I am thankful that I have experienced the life of very good Christians in my life, including my parents.  They all have been role models and good examples to me.

I suggest you pray and ask God to strengthen your faith.  After that, I suggest that you continue to study the Bible, it's origins and history.  Read about the dead sea scrolls, Bible archeology, fulfilled Bible prophecy, the historicity of Jesus, the accuracy of the Gospels, the history of Israel, America's founding fathers, etc.  It all comes down to faith, but the more you study, the more you'll find out that history, archeology and science all support our faith in the God of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob, and in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who died for our sins.

homer77,
I have been praying for you since I first read your post.  There are other Christians on this board who are praying for you too.  God bless you and may Jesus Christ strengthen your faith!

loco did you watch the movie by any chance? or the first part at least?

i think they do a very good job of disproving jesus. what are your thoughts, id be interested to hear them.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 07:21:46 AM »

i think they do a very good job of disproving jesus. what are your thoughts, id be interested to hear them.

Loco prays for your soul...  ::) ::) ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »

I can't watch it right now, but I will later.

One thing that didn't necessarily make me question my faith, but did shock me, is when somebody told me that Jesus was a myth, that there was not a single mention of Jesus outside of the bible, none, zero.  I had always been under the impression that even if some people did not believe in God or in Jesus, there was no question that Jesus was at least an important historical figure.  I had assumed that other historical documents outside of the Bible had mentioned him, but I had never read one before.

So I decided to look into this and found that this person was wrong.  He was just repeating something that somebody else had told him.  The well respected historian Josephus mentions Jesus in his works.  Josephus was a Jew, not a Christian, and he worked for the Roman empire.  He did not believe in Jesus, yet he mentions Jesus.  Josephus would not have mentioned Jesus unless Jesus was an important figure of that time.  So Jesus is no myth and he is an important historical figure.  I also was able to find other historical documents, outside of the Bible and written by non-Christians, that mention Jesus too.  

The book of Daniel gives some numbers and dates that any Jew could have used to predict when the Messiah would walk the earth.  That time happened to be around 30 AD.  Who was around 30 AD claiming to be the Jewish Messiah?  Jesus Christ.  How do you think the wise men from the east knew about Jesus, the king of the Jews, and came looking for him to worship him and bring him gifts?  I believe that they read the book of Daniel and figured it out.  Daniel was a Jew, Exiled in Babylon at the time that he wrote this prophecy.

Josephus Jewish Antiquities (c.93 C.E.)
(later interpolations in brackets)

"Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man [if it be lawful to call him a man], for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. [He was the Messiah.] And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him [for he appeared to them alive again at the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him]. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this date.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pliny the Younger Letter to Trajan (c.111-117 C.E.)

"...they maintained that their fault or error amounted to nothing more than this: they were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before sunrise and reciting an antiphonal hymn to Christ as God, and binding themselves with an oath not to commit any crime, but to abstain from all acts of theft, robbery and adultery, from breaches of faith, from repudiating a trust when called upon to honour it."2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tacitus Roman Annals (c.115-117 C.E.)

"They got their name from Christ, who was executed by sentence of the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius. That checked the pernicious superstition for a short time, but it broke out afresh--not only in Judea, where the plague first arose, but in Rome itself, where all the horrible and shameful things in the world collect and find a home."3

Sanhedrin 43a (200-500 C.E.)

"On the eve of the Passover Yeshu4 was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy. Any one who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf. But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of Passover!"5

Endnotes
1. Antiquities xviii. 33 (early second century) from F.F. Bruce, Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1974), 37.

2. Pliny, Epistles x.96, from Bruce, p.26.

3. Tacitus, Annals xv, 44, from Bruce, p. 22.

4. Talmudic designation of Jesus.

5. "Sanhedrin," vol 3 of Nezikin, Babylonian Talmud, edited by Isidore Epstein, reprint (London: Soncino, 1938), 281.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
Loco prays for your soul...  ::) ::) ::)

DonkeyKong,
I pray for you too.  May God bless and prosper you and your whole family and friends too!

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »

homer77,

ok,
i immidiatly noticed that you said at 15yrs old you became christian.  im not trying to be negative, but at 15 i was the same way.  most kids are.  its just the age.  i was baptised in 4th grade, but didnt really make the adult decision until about 21.  twice since then i have had my faith truely tested.  im now 29.  this time being the worst.  i do believe in God.  the philosopher st thomas aquinas solidified that with the "unmoved mover" who started the universe.  i just took a step back and said who is right and who is wrong.  most religions seem to have the same moral basics and ways to live.  ALL writtings are by man.  and why hasnt anything been added?  why do great stories not exist today.  just because this is what was introduced to me as a child - does it mean i blindly follow?  i think this all started when my wife was telling me about her orthadox jew friend at nursing school.  i looked up the basic principals of their faith and started wondering these things. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:49:45 AM »
Homer, go here:

www.infidels.org

Lots of good reading that will make you think.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
loco i dont buy your sources or historians, as the movie mentioned none of the known historians mentioned jesus. dont you think that if someone was making such a fuss claiming to be god, performing miracles that some of the world renowned historians of that time would have mentioned him :-\? i mean i never heard of your historian, and many of the writings about jesus were proven to be false forgeries.

christianity IS based on pagan myth, the dates, rebirth, cross,flood story, emaculate conception, three wise men, rebirth, and on and on are older stories. the story of jesus is NOTHING new, most of it is borrowed this is obvious.

also you think that a few sources that mention jesus are ample enough to justify the son of god? a man who CURED the sick, walked on water and came back to life? I dont think so, any rational person would view it as the opposite. the glaring lack or evidence points to his non-existence, unless thats what god is trying to do, make it look like there is no god for some reason ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:21 AM »
loco i dont buy your sources or historians, as the movie mentioned none of the known historians mentioned jesus. dont you think that if someone was making such a fuss claiming to be god, performing miracles that some of the world renowned historians of that time would have mentioned him :-\? i mean i never heard of your historian, and many of the writings about jesus were proven to be false forgeries.

They are not "my" sources or "my" historians.  They are what they are, true historical sources and true historians.  Just look them up.  Josephus is the most well recognized and respected historian of that time. 

Do you not buy this simply because the movie did not mention them?  Come on, is this movie the final authority?  That just tells me the movie is bias, but I will watch it.

And when were the writings about Jesus proven to be false forgeries?  I challenge you to study the Gospel manuscripts.  They are superior to other ancient manuscripts out there.

christianity IS based on pagan myth, the dates, rebirth, cross,flood story, emaculate conception, three wise men, rebirth, and on and on are older stories. the story of jesus is NOTHING new, most of it is borrowed this is obvious.

You must not confuse traditions with Christianity.  The cross, virgin birth, the wise men, the resurrection are not based on pagan myth.  If you really want me to believe that, at least provide some valid sources to back that up.

also you think that a few sources that mention jesus are ample enough to justify the son of god? a man who CURED the sick, walked on water and came back to life? I dont think so, any rational person would view it as the opposite. the glaring lack or evidence points to his non-existence, unless thats what god is trying to do, make it look like there is no god for some reason ::)

No, I thought we were discussing that a man named Jesus who was very influential around 30AD did exist, whether or not you believe in his divinity or whether or not you believe that he performed miracles.  Jesus is a historical figure, not a myth.  I just proved it by giving you non-Christian, extra biblical historical sources which mention Jesus.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
ok,
i immidiatly noticed that you said at 15yrs old you became christian.  im not trying to be negative, but at 15 i was the same way.  most kids are.  its just the age.  i was baptised in 4th grade, but didnt really make the adult decision until about 21.  twice since then i have had my faith truely tested.  im now 29.  this time being the worst.  i do believe in God.  the philosopher st thomas aquinas solidified that with the "unmoved mover" who started the universe.  i just took a step back and said who is right and who is wrong.  most religions seem to have the same moral basics and ways to live.  ALL writtings are by man.  and why hasnt anything been added?  why do great stories not exist today.  just because this is what was introduced to me as a child - does it mean i blindly follow?  i think this all started when my wife was telling me about her orthadox jew friend at nursing school.  i looked up the basic principals of their faith and started wondering these things. 

I hope that you are not saying that just because I first believed in Jesus at age 15 you immediately dismiss everything else I posted.  I am 35 years old now and I have never in my life stopped going to church, praying or reading my Bible, all by my own choice.  My faith now is stronger than ever.  I would not change the last 20 years of my life with Jesus for anything.  I recommend this life style to everyone.  I have no regrets, except that I wish that I had believed in Jesus sooner.  I like who I am now and how my life has turned out.  And I owe it all to Jesus Christ.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
you monotheists are somehow sick.

can't you relax for a minute?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
you monotheists are somehow sick.

can't you relax for a minute?

What do you mean by sick?  What makes you say that I need to relax?   ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »
What do you mean by sick?  What makes you say that I need to relax?   ;D

this thread is a meltdown.

You feel the need to desperatly convince others of your religion. Calm down, he will find his best way.  ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 12:33:06 PM »
this thread is a meltdown.

You feel the need to desperatly convince others of your religion. Calm down, he will find his best way.  ;)

Meltdown?  Isn't that when somebody gets angry?

Not at all.  My job is not to convince anybody.  My job is only to go around the World Wide Web and make disciples.  The rest is the job of the Holy Spirit.  Besides, isn't this a religious topics discussion board?  Homer77 and "usmokepole" are asking questions and I am answering.  That's all.     ;D

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 03:01:58 PM »
Questioning my faith........thats something ive been doing for a while, Homer, im on the same exact page as you when you talk about "SPEAKING IN TONGUES", that just makes no sense to me either. But the one thing, that just caught my attention that you said was '' The teachings of the bible or any book of faith was written by man". MAN, YOU STOLE THAT SAME BELIEVE OUT OF MY HEAD. i absolutely agree with you on that. and just too let everyone know, I WAS RAISED CATHOLIC, I WENT TO A CATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL FOR 9 YEARS, AND WENT TO CHURCH 2 TIMES A WEEK.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
It's perfectly natural to question your faith.  It wouldn't be faith unless you had doubts.

Just don't allow yourself to fall prey to those who would use these doubts to control you to serve their religion.

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Questioning my faith........thats something ive been doing for a while, Homer, im on the same exact page as you when you talk about "SPEAKING IN TONGUES", that just makes no sense to me either. But the one thing, that just caught my attention that you said was '' The teachings of the bible or any book of faith was written by man". MAN, YOU STOLE THAT SAME BELIEVE OUT OF MY HEAD. i absolutely agree with you on that. and just too let everyone know, I WAS RAISED CATHOLIC, I WENT TO A CATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL FOR 9 YEARS, AND WENT TO CHURCH 2 TIMES A WEEK.
good to know there are others like me out there.  i think making this thread has just made me even more confused?!  i really dont know what to think.  i wanna talk with my pastor, but thats a bias view.  God, i know your out there someowhere.  just tell me how to live and whats the deal with the afterlife!   and loco, im not attacking you or telling you you are wrong.  i dont know who is right or wrong and i dont think anyone has the authority to say who is. 
loco- i ahve wanted the power of god to lay me out on revival days and not once.  i felt the pastor push to take me down, but no power of god. 

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
Theres one thing i wanna make clear though, about the same believe that HOMER77 and i have about the bible being written by man. But i do read some versuses such as psalms, and a few others for strength, and inspiration, I got LEVITICUS 17:21 tattoed on my back. Alot of other stuff in there makes no sense, and is just too control man. Dont get me wrong there needs to be law and order but somethings in there too me are dehumanizing. Especially when it comes to SEX, thats a big no no to me. Yes, GOD doesnt want us to think SEX is absolutely everything in life, and doesnt want us to get AIDS or STDS, but SEX is just a part of life. Besides the physical pleasure, SEX is also about feelings and emotions, and connecting with the other person, and basically too me the bible wants us too feel guilty and wrong about having SEX, and having feelings and emotions. Again, very dehumanizing