Author Topic: Throw me some tips at personal training!  (Read 5639 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Throw me some tips at personal training!
« on: July 01, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
I'm fresh out of high school and am preparing to become a personal trainer. I'm just getting started now with chosing a certifying body. Here's my first few questions:

-Do certain gyms only hire trainers under specific certifications?
-Will I have a hard time finding a job compared to someone who paid $600 to become certified?
-Does it matter if I don't know advanced kinseology and physiology but am a wiz at exercise and nutrition? Is a certifying body that requires one to know about that advanced subject better than one that doesn't?

Also, do you have any tips on how best to interact with my clients? How do I keep them motivated and to not fear to make an effort? How do I keep them coming back to me?

Thanks!
~

warrior_code

• Getbig III
Re: Throw me some tips at personal training!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »
If you are more into serious training I suggest you go more into the strength/conditioning field.  More money in this area as well if you get the right position. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Also, do you have any tips on how best to interact with my clients?

Lie about your age and experience.

Most people who can afford a personal trainer are 30's, 40's or older.  Most of these people think 18 year old kids know jack shit.  And, for the most part, they're right!  :D
Ron: "I am lazy."

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »
If you are more into serious training I suggest you go more into the strength/conditioning field.  More money in this area as well if you get the right position. 

I'm looking to work in a local gym as a trainer. What kind of jobs are you suggesting?

Lie about your age and experience.

Most people who can afford a personal trainer are 30's, 40's or older.  Most of these people think 18 year old kids know jack shit.  And, for the most part, they're right!  :D

I'm going to have to work a lot harder to prove myself because of my age.
~

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
I love Pt's that throw around the BS in Exercise Science degree.  ::) Your better Pt's will have more time under there belt, learning someone limitations is the hardest thing to judge.  People sometimes think they have been pushed to hard because they are sore for 2 days follwing a session.  I did it part time for about 2.5 years....

I start tomorow actually again Part time again for some extra cash.  The manager of the gym has been practically BEGGING me too, all of the Pt's at this gym look like the belong making biscuits at Hardee's.....

I don't use Bosu balls and do core type training, this crap IMO is for the yuppies, lift some damn weights if you want muscle.

Certification's vary from club to club...

Most all clubs will take the follwing:
 ISSA
ACE
ISMA
IFA

You can get an ACE Certification in 2 days and for about 300 bucks.

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »
rather than working with the typical individual who just wants to lose a few pounds for the beach, you would be working with actual athletes(ex:NFL team, individual track athletes ect). 

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
I love Pt's that throw around the BS in Exercise Science degree.  ::) Your better Pt's will have more time under there belt, learning someone limitations is the hardest thing to judge.  People sometimes think they have been pushed to hard because they are sore for 2 days follwing a session.  I did it part time for about 2.5 years....

I start tomorow actually again Part time again for some extra cash.  The manager of the gym has been practically BEGGING me too, all of the Pt's at this gym look like the belong making biscuits at Hardee's.....

I don't use Bosu balls and do core type training, this crap IMO is for the yuppies, lift some damn weights if you want muscle.

Certification's vary from club to club...

Most all clubs will take the follwing:
 ISSA
ACE
ISMA
IFA

You can get an ACE Certification in 2 days and for about 300 bucks.

Thanks, man. Sounds like we have similar approaches for our clients. Good old weights on a solid program. I see trainers having their clients pulling ropes and squatting atop exericise balls and wonder how they got the job, but I plan on doing what I know works the best.

I was considering ACE above all else for it's ease of completion and affordability.

Thanks

rather than working with the typical individual who just wants to lose a few pounds for the beach, you would be working with actual athletes(ex:NFL team, individual track athletes ect). 

That's not what I'm interested in. I'd feel awkward training sports athletes when I'm not one.
~

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »
Without a PROVEN track record it is hard to get a job with NFL,NBA, NCAA type trainers.  Start small get your name out and then move forward.  I have 2 guys that want me to help them prep for a local show next year.  I will more than likely just be working with 3-4 people as I will only be training Mon, Wed, Fri nights.  I still need family time.  The pay is ok they usually start PT at 16 an hour, I got 21.50 since I have exp, cert through a GOOD source.   I also believe that a BIG thing for me hiring a trainer would be the "look" of health, I just do not understand why ANYBODY would want a 250 lb fat slob training them.... ::)  I love the conversations these guys have telling there clients "make sure you do some cardio work to keep that BF% in check"  GOOD LORD STOP THE MADNESS!!

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:27:16 PM »
Without a PROVEN track record it is hard to get a job with NFL,NBA, NCAA type trainers.  Start small get your name out and then move forward.  I have 2 guys that want me to help them prep for a local show next year.  I will more than likely just be working with 3-4 people as I will only be training Mon, Wed, Fri nights.  I still need family time.  The pay is ok they usually start PT at 16 an hour, I got 21.50 since I have exp, cert through a GOOD source.   I also believe that a BIG thing for me hiring a trainer would be the "look" of health, I just do not understand why ANYBODY would want a 250 lb fat slob training them.... ::)  I love the conversations these guys have telling there clients "make sure you do some cardio work to keep that BF% in check"  GOOD LORD STOP THE MADNESS!!

Plata talks...

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »

NFL, NBA, MLB, college won't hire you even if you do have a proven track record, they're looking for a degree, CSCS along with experiance.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »

You can't make money getting bodybuilders contest ready, unless you're Charles Glass. 

Also the "yuppies" who you refuse to train have the money and therefore you may want to broaden your training and learn how uses a stability ball or a bosu ball. 

Here are some useful threads on the business board to actually answer your post Figgs:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=145770.0
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=66735.0

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:27 PM »
You can't make money getting bodybuilders contest ready, unless you're Charles Glass. 

Also the "yuppies" who you refuse to train have the money and therefore you may want to broaden your training and learn how uses a stability ball or a bosu ball. 

I'm a 30-something "yuppie" with money, and if I were working with a trainer and he brought out some BS swiss ball I'd fire his ass on the spot.  True, the money for PT's is to be made helping middle-aged folks get into shape, but at least do it right.  Weight training is the key, not fuccking around with oversized beach balls!   

**cue Mr. Intenseone to post about how wonderful and effective Swiss balls are**  ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »
The way it works in Australia is you have to be qualified or you can't get insurance coverage. End of story. There are several different ways to get qualified. Those with a degree in exercise science or rehab will have an advantage. Combine bodybuilding with learning and you will be set for life. It is unlikely those short courses are going to educate you sufficiently to be properly qualified.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm fresh out of high school and am preparing to become a personal trainer. I'm just getting started now with chosing a certifying body. Here's my first few questions:

-Will I have a hard time finding a job compared to someone who paid $600 to become certified?
-Does it matter if I don't know advanced kinseology and physiology but am a wiz at exercise and nutrition? Is a certifying body that requires one to know about that advanced subject better than one that doesn't?

Also, do you have any tips on how best to interact with my clients? How do I keep them motivated and to not fear to make an effort? How do I keep them coming back to me?

Thanks!

Short and sweet:

Go with ACE

Be honest with clients....they can sense when you're just going for the sale, and once they sense you're just after their money you're done.

Good luck  ;D
just not good enough

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »

**cue Mr. Intenseone to post about how wonderful and effective Swiss balls are**  ::)

I would try to explain, but trying to explain to someone who thinks that only bench, squats, curls and presses are the only methods of training would be fruitless.

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »

Thanks!

Being just out of high school, You're going to have a tough time getting clients because of your age.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »
I forgot, everyone is an expert in bodybuilding and training. Even guys just out of high school.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I would try to explain, but trying to explain to someone who thinks that only bench, squats, curls and presses are the only methods of training would be fruitless.

You forgot deadlifts!  >:(

The Coach

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »

You forgot deadlifts!  >:(

Ok...........and "deadlifts" ::)

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »

Thanks!

You really want to learn how the human body works. A book you get with the ISSA course is great . "Fitness: The Complete Guide" Is really great for learning. I'd suggest you read it sooon! I promise you'll learn a TON!

I thought baasic knowledge would be enough but after reading that youy see its nowhere near enough.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 07:21:35 PM »
You really want to learn how the human body works. A book you get with the ISSA course is great . "Fitness: The Complete Guide" Is really great for learning. I'd suggest you read it sooon! I promise you'll learn a TON!

I thought baasic knowledge would be enough but after reading that youy see its nowhere near enough.

That's a $500 book you better be right!!
~

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 07:28:03 PM »
The course is about $500 which includes material plus the book. Fred Hadfield was behind this course.

If I were just out of high school I would look into getting the best qualifications that I could. We have technical colleges that offer such courses in Australia. That is better than those short courses. The ISSA course can be done at home. The one thing I would stress is that there is a heck of a lot of stuff to learn about exercise and bodies. Hypertrophy is just one topic. Rehab is also important if you want to be a valuable trainer.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
You guys think I'm closed-minded and a fool! I know I know shit! I havn't even begun the job I'm not supposed to know anything until my experience piles up. I'm not going to have my clients strictly doing free weights either, although that's what I prefer. I do what I do because I enjoy it and I'm going to employ what I learn my clients enjoy in a way that makes it the most effective. And of course I'm going to have to make them do things they'll hate, too. There's no avoiding that.

I already care about my clients and I don't have any. I want to see their results and know that I've helped improve the quality of their lives to some degree. I've been training for 2 years. I've taken weight training in high school for that long and have either worked along side my teacher or I've completely taken over his class while he reads the paper. That class was always lifting. I loved showing them an exericise and motivating everyone in the room to try it. Damn, I'm going to miss that. But now I get paid for that work! And I can't imagine anything more I'd rather be doing in this time of my life.

I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to come and help me out because this is what I intend to do with the next few years of my life, at least until I'm out of college. I'm using your advice as wisely as I can.
~

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »
You guys think I'm closed-minded and a fool! I know I know shit! I havn't even begun the job I'm not supposed to know anything until my experience piles up. I'm not going to have my clients strictly doing free weights either, although that's what I prefer. I do what I do because I enjoy it and I'm going to employ what I learn my clients enjoy in a way that makes it the most effective. And of course I'm going to have to make them do things they'll hate, too. There's no avoiding that.

I already care about my clients and I don't have any. I want to see their results and know that I've helped improve the quality of their lives to some degree. I've been training for 2 years. I've taken weight training in high school for that long and have either worked along side my teacher or I've completely taken over his class while he reads the paper. That class was always lifting. I loved showing them an exericise and motivating everyone in the room to try it. Damn, I'm going to miss that. But now I get paid for that work! And I can't imagine anything more I'd rather be doing in this time of my life.

I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to come and help me out because this is what I intend to do with the next few years of my life, at least until I'm out of college. I'm using your advice as wisely as I can.
you'll do well figgs, you've already got the right build and that's the most important part.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
check your PM.