Author Topic: U.S. accuses Iran leadership over Iraq violence  (Read 1654 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
U.S. accuses Iran leadership over Iraq violence
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
What do we do about this? 

July 2, 2007 - 5:50 PM

U.S. accuses Iran leadership over Iraq violence
By Alister Bull and Dean Yates

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - In some of its most direct accusations against Iran yet, the U.S. military said on Monday senior leaders in Tehran know about operations in which Iran's Qods Force foments violence in Iraq.

Military spokesman Brigadier-General Kevin Bergner said the Qods Force was also using the Iranian-backed Lebanese Shi'ite militia group Hezbollah to sponsor militant activity in Iraq.

Iran does not officially acknowledge the Qods Force. Military experts and some exiled Iranians say it is a wing of Iran's Revolutionary Guards that operates abroad and reports directly to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Bergner said the Qods Force was involved in a brazen attack in the city of Kerbala in January when gunmen disguised as Americans made their way into a government compound and killed one U.S. soldier and seized four others whom they later killed.

Washington has long accused the Qods Force of arming and training Shi'ite militants who attack U.S. and Iraqi soldiers but previously it said it was not clear whether these actions were carried out with the full knowledge of Iran's leadership.

Shi'ite Iran denies involvement in violence in Iraq and blames the U.S.-led invasion in 2003 for the bloodshed.

"Our intelligence reveals that senior leadership in Iran is aware of this activity," Bergner told a news conference. "We also understand that senior Iraqi leaders have expressed their concerns to the Iranian government about the activities."

THREE CAMPS

Bergner said the United States had discovered the existence of three small camps near Tehran where Iraqi Shi'ite militants were trained by Qods Force and Hezbollah operatives. Between 20-60 militants were trained at any given time, he said.

The Kerbala attack was one of the boldest against U.S. troops. The attackers spoke English, wore American-looking uniforms and carried U.S.-type weapons, which got them through Iraqi checkpoints to reach the compound.

"The Qods Force had developed detailed information regarding our soldiers' activities, shift changes and defences, and this information was shared with the attackers," Bergner said.

He also said a Hezbollah veteran, Ali Mussa Daqduq, was detained in southern Iraq in March. Daqduq was there to organise secret cells to mirror Hezbollah's structure in Lebanon, he said.

A Hezbollah spokesman in Beirut said he was aware of Bergner's accusations, but had no immediate comment.

Iran's Defence Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar dismissed on Sunday as a "sheer lie" U.S. accusations that Iran was militarily intervening in Iraq and supported Iraqi militants, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The fresh charges against Iran come at a sensitive time.

On Sunday, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari told Reuters he was pressing the United States and Iran to hold a second round of talks in Baghdad to follow up a landmark meeting on May 28, but that no date had been set.

The May meeting between U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker and his Iranian counterpart Hassan Kazemi-Qomi was the most high-profile meeting of the two foes in almost three decades.

Both envoys described the talks as positive.

In fresh violence, the U.S. military said four U.S. soldiers and one Marine were killed in various attacks in Iraq on Sunday, marking a bloody start to the month for American forces.

In Baghdad, where U.S. forces are pushing an aggressive security clamdown to stem sectarian violence, police said a car bomb parked beside a market killed nine people and wounded 33 on Monday.

(Additional reporting by Tehran and Beirut bureau)

Reuters (IDS)

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/international/ticker/detail/U_S_accuses_Iran_leadership_over_Iraq_violence.html?siteSect=143&sid=7983153&cKey=1183373556000

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: U.S. accuses Iran leadership over Iraq violence
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »
A guy I talked to a couple of weekends ago said that Iran is definitely got a hand in what's going on in Iraq now. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:22:10 PM »
So what should we do?

Spend another 500 billion invade (for similar reasons as we did Iraq) and be trapped in a second Irag style insurgency?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
its everyone elses fault than ours..

bush reminds me of that little insecure bitch guy at a club that blames everyone else for him not getting laid  :-\
carpe` vaginum!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
its everyone elses fault than ours..

bush reminds me of that little insecure bitch guy at a club that blames everyone else for him not getting laid  :-\

lol   ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
So what should we do?

Spend another 500 billion invade (for similar reasons as we did Iraq) and be trapped in a second Irag style insurgency?

We don't need to invade.  I'd think air strikes would be all we need, assuming we can identify where the supplies are coming from.   

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:40:22 PM »
We don't need to invade.  I'd think air strikes would be all we need, assuming we can identify where the supplies are coming from.   

lets create more osamas...

yay!
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »
lets create more osamas...

yay!

Or we could do nothing and continue to permit Iran to supply insurgents who are killing American soldiers and Iraqi civilians. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:49:26 PM »
Or we could do nothing and continue to permit Iran to supply insurgents who are killing American soldiers and Iraqi civilians. 

show me proof iran is doing that..

o wait...your god..ie bush said so...show me proof mon ami...

while you are at it..show me some proof that saddam  had wmds...ya think he miiight have used em when about to be attacked by the biggest army on the planet...

saddam feared bad publicity  ::)

pfft..
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:17:13 PM »
show me proof iran is doing that..

o wait...your god..ie bush said so...show me proof mon ami...

while you are at it..show me some proof that saddam  had wmds...ya think he miiight have used em when about to be attacked by the biggest army on the planet...

saddam feared bad publicity  ::)

pfft..

Read the article.  ::) 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

That might only be a short term solution with long term pain.

It will garner more hatred in the future.....and then what do we do when they operating nukes and we strike them form the air?   They will justify using them. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:17:26 PM »
That might only be a short term solution with long term pain.

It will garner more hatred in the future.....and then what do we do when they operating nukes and we strike them form the air?   They will justify using them. 

So what's the alternative?  We're not leaving anytime soon.  Do we just continue to allow Iran to supply weapons being used to kill Americans? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »
Proof....i think every time an IED goes off we get further proof. Those IEDs that can penetrate armor...sorry the rags in Iraq needed help on that one. Iran is up to there ass in this war.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 06:52:13 PM »
So what's the alternative?  We're not leaving anytime soon.  Do we just continue to allow Iran to supply weapons being used to kill Americans? 

They want something.  What do they want?  Probably a piece of the action..........oil.

What alternatives do we have?

Invade?
Air strikes?
barter?
Nothing?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:21:15 PM »
They want something.  What do they want?  Probably a piece of the action..........oil.

What alternatives do we have?

Invade?
Air strikes?
barter?
Nothing?

Doing nothing results in more American deaths.  Barter?  I guess that's a possibility, but that would be up to the Iraqi government.  It would also require Iran to acknowledge that they've been supplying insurgents. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
Doing nothing results in more American deaths.  Barter?  I guess that's a possibility, but that would be up to the Iraqi government.  It would also require Iran to acknowledge that they've been supplying insurgents. 

They don't have to acknowledge anything.  You put the whole thing under the guise of a middle eastern economic growth initiative.   ;D

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »
Proof....i think every time an IED goes off we get further proof. Those IEDs that can penetrate armor...sorry the rags in Iraq needed help on that one. Iran is up to there ass in this war.

IED = wmd  ::)
carpe` vaginum!