Author Topic: ARM TRAINING  (Read 26203 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: ARM TRAINING
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:55 AM »
Thanks DP and Rip  :)  Iam hanging in there pretty well, 2 weeks!!

You know sometimes my elbows hurt for periods of time and others Im fine.  Right now they are feeling pretty good, but my left shoulder is hurting some.  Did DB presses today and shoulder hurt some and is sore right now, I should ice it duhh! I think its the bicipital tendon, which is a common source of shoulder pain. 

The lying french press AKA skull chrushers does at times cause discomfort in my left elbow.  My poor little left side trying to keep pace with my dominate right  ;)

The standing french press in the smith was a cool variation.  someone much taller than me could not do them in there.  I just did it in there cause I had a nice space to superset the DB curls also.  But it was pretty cool and I think I might do them like that from time to time.  But no real elbow pain on them.....that time  8)

French press is something that usually bothers my elbows, so I don't do it much and have eliminated it altogether for the time being.
I DO love to do skull crushers, but I have eliminated those for the time being as well.  I never actually thought of those as lying french presses, but I guess they are lol.
I am down to basic cable work for triceps...and of course the bench press work, including a lot of close grips.

Hang in there and be good to yourself during these final days!!  No need for injuries right now!
 :)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
stretch movements like extensions take too long to recover from if you're going for pure benching power, they're fine for a bodybuilding program but you're better off just sticking to the close grips and very heavy pushdowns either leaning into the bar or with your elbows at your sides for powerlfting.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:17 AM »
stretch movements like extensions take too long to recover from if you're going for pure benching power, they're fine for a bodybuilding program but you're better off just sticking to the close grips and very heavy pushdowns either leaning into the bar or with your elbows at your sides for powerlfting.

Yeah, I am doing cable pushdowns, mostly with the rope to get full ROM, and pretty heavy.  That's about it, along with the close grips.  The negatives I do (bench press) also burn up my triceps.
I am already feeling like my triceps are getting MUCH stronger, after just 4 weeks of this kind of training.   8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »

Yeah, I am doing cable pushdowns, mostly with the rope to get full ROM, and pretty heavy.  That's about it, along with the close grips.  The negatives I do (bench press) also burn up my triceps.
I am already feeling like my triceps are getting MUCH stronger, after just 4 weeks of this kind of training.   8)

use the small angled bar on pushdowns and lean into the cable to handle some heavy weights, they carry over to your bench press much, much more that way, another thing you could do is pull a bench into a power rack and do some very heavy partial close grips or do some heavy board presses.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
use the small angled bar on pushdowns and lean into the cable to handle some heavy weights, they carry over to your bench press much, much more that way, another thing you could do is pull a bench into a power rack and do some very heavy partial close grips or do some heavy board presses.

No power rack at my gym unfortunately.  But my second chest workout each week is focused on triceps, and I am going to start heavy board presses during this workout probably next week.  I'm gonna try to break that shirt in!   :D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:16 AM »
it can take some getting used to going from training triceps like a bodybuilder to training triceps like a powerlifter, training tri's like a powerlifter means pushing the weight in a straight line on extensions and pushdowns as opposed to an pushing the weight in an arc motion like a bodybuilder, most powerlifters extensions look like half presses half extensions.