Author Topic: Diet drinks Just as Bad  (Read 4065 times)

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Diet drinks Just as Bad
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:33:22 AM »
The finding states that those who drink more then one diet drink a day were just as likely to have heart desease as those that drink regular cola. I think its because diet drinks give you that so called sweet tooth, and as a result crave more sugars. What do you guys think?

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Diet drinks Just as Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:59:55 AM »

i think this is not so bad?
fvck no

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:00:56 AM »
You have to think about what is generally taken in with Soda...chips, Hamburgers, wings.....it's not the Soda persay but the overall meal..

When do you truly ever drink a soda by itself?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:55:48 AM »
You have to think about what is generally taken in with Soda...chips, Hamburgers, wings.....it's not the Soda persay but the overall meal..

When do you truly ever drink a soda by itself?

I have been saying this for years: if you are interested in health and fitness, stay away from diet sodas.  All sodas, even diet sodas, are poison.

DIET SODA NO SAFER
Study finds same risk as regular for heart disease and diabetes
Kantele Franko, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Frequent diet soda drinkers might save calories, but they face the same higher risk of heart disease and diabetes as people who drink sugary soft drinks every day, a new study says.

Scientists studying about 3,500 middle-aged men and women as part of a long-term heart research project found an association between daily soft drink consumption and an increased risk of developing metabolic syndrome, according to a report published Monday in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

People with metabolic syndrome have a combination of risk factors for diabetes and heart disease, such as high blood pressure and elevated triglycerides.

The analysts considered other factors as well, such as whether the people had high-calorie diets or sedentary lifestyles. But the report falls short of proving exactly who or what should take the blame for the potential health problems, said Dr. Ramachandran Vasan, senior author of the Framingham Heart Study.

"One of the important questions is, 'Is it the soda drinker or the soda?' " said Vasan, who teaches at Boston University School of Medicine.

The study adds to an array of research associating the consumption of both diet and regular sodas with childhood obesity and increased risk of high blood pressure in adults. The authors did not make any specific recommendations because more research is needed to clarify or confirm the findings, he said.

"In this group of middle-aged adults, consumption of just one or more soft drinks per day seemed to increase the risk of developing metabolic syndrome by about 50 percent," whether the drink was artificially sweetened or not, Vasan said.

When compared to those who drank fewer than one soft drink daily, participants who drank one or more a day had about a 30 percent greater risk of developing new-onset diabetes, being overweight and having low levels of good cholesterol.

Yet critics like Dr. Dean Ornish contend that frequent soda consumption has been unfairly singled out in this study and others.

"I imagine if they looked at chocolate chip cookies and did the same analysis, they would find the same thing," said Ornish, the founder and director of the nonprofit, Sausalito-based Preventive Medicine Research Institute.

It doesn't make sense that two people who drink beverages with very different calorie counts would have a similar likelihood of gaining weight, he said.

However, soda drinking is among unhealthy behaviors that contribute to metabolic problems, Ornish said. The study confuses contributory factors with actual causes of disease, he said.

It's the same argument made by representatives of the American Beverage Association.

"You can over-consume any food with calories, and you're going to have the potential for health consequences, so we always preach the need for moderation in your diet, and physical activity," association spokesman Kevin Keane said.

The trade group, which represents nonalcoholic beverage manufacturers and distributors, lambasted the study and its implications about heart disease.

"It's a complex problem, and to blame one particular food or one particular product for heart disease or other problems is just oversimplification and not accurate," Keane said.

The researchers offered several theories to explain their results, such as that the consumption of sweet drinks might condition a desire for sweeter foods, or that drinking more during a meal can lead to more solid food consumption during the next meal.

They also said fructose corn syrup in regular soft drinks might contribute to weight gain, insulin resistance and diabetes. But the study's finding that diet and regular soda drinkers face similar risks is a curveball for the corn syrup argument because diet drinks are flavored with artificial sweeteners, Vasan said, adding that the burden will fall to nutritional scientists to research the topic more.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »
I like sodas.
Z

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
No shit.. Those people are munching down burgers and fries with their diet soda.

body88

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »
I have a plan. Effin exercise.

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:07:58 AM »
I think when im dieting and i freakin need something sweet, a diet coke seems to do the trick. Something that i have noticed is that the weirdos who dont drink diet soda usually dont look all that great. Stuff does not phase me. Yet you guys dont mind pounding fat malto shakes here and there. Same with whey concentrate. Id rather have a diet soda than that garbage too.
-

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »
I have a plan. Effin exercise.

exactly, I drink and smoke weed and am in much better health than fat fucks who refuse take equal because they say it's bad and stuff. hahahaha Same fatties smoking marlbros..

That study is stupid.. Diet soda does contain caffine, which is a stimulant. Doesn't increased stimulant intake contribute to heart disease?

Fact is, a lot of soda drinkers are fat fucks. Of course there wont be much of a distinction..

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
From the LA Times article:

Quote:
Dr. Ramachandran Vasan of Boston University School of Medicine, the lead author of the study, said it is unlikely that an ingredient in soda causes the effect. More likely is that consuming sweet sodas changes dietary patterns or that soda is simply a marker for the poor eating habits of the participants. 

That pretty much sums it up...................... ..

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:50:34 AM »
i drink all diet drinks like a phene.(pheen, feen??).   and i can cut weight qaas quickly as a i need to. there are NO calories.  its the people who are drinking a diet soda with their supersized big mac meal that have heart disease.   

and to whomever asked the question, I do in fact drink diet soda's by themselves. and i do it at least 3times a day.  its a great appetite suppresent(at least for me..because i think i have heard something about them actually increasing appetite), they taste fucking great, the caffiene gives me energy, and they help me diet.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »
Diet drinks aren't just as bad.  All that happened in this study was the researchers took some sort of data provided by middle-aged people, they took whatever variables they could find and put them in a box, jumped up and down on it, and out came the results.  The increased risk from diet soda has no direct theoretical or empirical relation to this metabolic syndrome cluster.  It's some other omitted variable that is driving the results.  When they correctly control for this variable, the effect from diet soda would dissapear.  The critic mentioned in the story was right. 

Generally, people don't start with diet soda.  They drink diet after drinking regular soda and had to switch for a given reason (usually too many extra calories, but kids getting braces are switched too).  My opinion is that in ten years or so they can replicate this finding with green tea and regular soda.  Green tea and diet soda became popular for the same reason. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »
I don't understand why people drink soda at all.  It's totally pointless. 

Drink water.
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »

She's very hot.   Far better than the bleach-blond sluts usually posted around here.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »

She's very hot.   Far better than the bleach-blond sluts usually posted around here.

She's burning my computer screen. that babe definitely get an A+
Get Big, or Die Trying

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »
The finding states that those who drink more then one diet drink a day were just as likely to have heart desease as those that drink regular cola. I think its because diet drinks give you that so called sweet tooth, and as a result crave more sugars. What do you guys think?

The dangers of DIET Soda is that it contains ASPARTAME and aspartame converts in FORMALDEHYDE in the body. Formaldehyde is a neurotoxin that causes a great deal of destruction within the body. This information on the dangers of aspartame is old and has been discussed ad nauseum on this board and others. Many supplement companies knew/know of the dangers of aspartame years ago and have refused to add it to any of its products. Champion Nutrition was one of those companies that refused to add it to their products. I avoid ity like the plagued, because aspartame also has a ADDICTIVE effect to it, which only compounds it destructive nature....
C

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »

BEautiful face and fantastic body. . . 9.6

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
From the LA Times article:

Quote:
Dr. Ramachandran Vasan of Boston University School of Medicine, the lead author of the study, said it is unlikely that an ingredient in soda causes the effect. More likely is that consuming sweet sodas changes dietary patterns or that soda is simply a marker for the poor eating habits of the participants. 

That pretty much sums it up...................... ..

Leave it to a brown man to layeth the smacketh down with some common sense.

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »
BEautiful face and fantastic body. . . 9.6
yes, very sweet

Luv_2build

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
I have been saying this for years: if you are interested in health and fitness, stay away from diet sodas.  All sodas, even diet sodas, are poison.

DIET SODA NO SAFER
Study finds same risk as regular for heart disease and diabetes
Kantele Franko, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Frequent diet soda drinkers might save calories, but they face the same higher risk of heart disease and diabetes as people who drink sugary soft drinks every day, a new study says.

Scientists studying about 3,500 middle-aged men and women as part of a long-term heart research project found an association between daily soft drink consumption and an increased risk of developing metabolic syndrome, according to a report published Monday in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

People with metabolic syndrome have a combination of risk factors for diabetes and heart disease, such as high blood pressure and elevated triglycerides.

The analysts considered other factors as well, such as whether the people had high-calorie diets or sedentary lifestyles. But the report falls short of proving exactly who or what should take the blame for the potential health problems, said Dr. Ramachandran Vasan, senior author of the Framingham Heart Study.

"One of the important questions is, 'Is it the soda drinker or the soda?' " said Vasan, who teaches at Boston University School of Medicine.

The study adds to an array of research associating the consumption of both diet and regular sodas with childhood obesity and increased risk of high blood pressure in adults. The authors did not make any specific recommendations because more research is needed to clarify or confirm the findings, he said.

"In this group of middle-aged adults, consumption of just one or more soft drinks per day seemed to increase the risk of developing metabolic syndrome by about 50 percent," whether the drink was artificially sweetened or not, Vasan said.

When compared to those who drank fewer than one soft drink daily, participants who drank one or more a day had about a 30 percent greater risk of developing new-onset diabetes, being overweight and having low levels of good cholesterol.

Yet critics like Dr. Dean Ornish contend that frequent soda consumption has been unfairly singled out in this study and others.

"I imagine if they looked at chocolate chip cookies and did the same analysis, they would find the same thing," said Ornish, the founder and director of the nonprofit, Sausalito-based Preventive Medicine Research Institute.

It doesn't make sense that two people who drink beverages with very different calorie counts would have a similar likelihood of gaining weight, he said.

However, soda drinking is among unhealthy behaviors that contribute to metabolic problems, Ornish said. The study confuses contributory factors with actual causes of disease, he said.

It's the same argument made by representatives of the American Beverage Association.

"You can over-consume any food with calories, and you're going to have the potential for health consequences, so we always preach the need for moderation in your diet, and physical activity," association spokesman Kevin Keane said.

The trade group, which represents nonalcoholic beverage manufacturers and distributors, lambasted the study and its implications about heart disease.

"It's a complex problem, and to blame one particular food or one particular product for heart disease or other problems is just oversimplification and not accurate," Keane said.

The researchers offered several theories to explain their results, such as that the consumption of sweet drinks might condition a desire for sweeter foods, or that drinking more during a meal can lead to more solid food consumption during the next meal.

They also said fructose corn syrup in regular soft drinks might contribute to weight gain, insulin resistance and diabetes. But the study's finding that diet and regular soda drinkers face similar risks is a curveball for the corn syrup argument because diet drinks are flavored with artificial sweeteners, Vasan said, adding that the burden will fall to nutritional scientists to research the topic more.

What this did not mention, that was mentioned in other articles about this same topic is that this study did not take into account lifestyles.  I see plenty of people at work that drink only diet soda, but they have a bag of chips, pizza, fries, taco bell, and everything else under the sun.  So out of the 3500 people in the study how many of them actually were on clean diets with the diet soda?  This study does not prove anything

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:39 PM »

Squadfather is one lucky fucker to have this girl.

thanks mars for ungaying this thread... awesome chick.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »

Squadfatter couldn't touch a chick like that.

Unless he had my bank account.

Which he doesn't.

Anyone know what the term for "trailer trash" is in St. Louis?

Just wondering.  :-\

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
yeah they called redknecks

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com