Author Topic: Diet advice needed  (Read 8057 times)

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Diet advice needed
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:59 AM »
Yeah, I'll try a less extreme version first, and see where it goes. As for supplements, I live in Norway, and there are heavy restrictions on certain kinds of supplements. NO-products for example are outlawed. Most, if not all effective fat burners also.

Kre-alkalyn I have a ton of. It cost nearly nothing. The first time I tried it I was impressed at the effect I got, the next time I almost didn't notice any effect at all. Guess I'll give it another shot.

The only supplements I use daily except a couple of protein shakes are glutamine and a multi. Plus some ZMA if I feel like spending big bucks...

copacetic

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
after reading this thread i noticed how low i really had to go on the carbs i was eating probably 200 a day thinking that was nice and low yesterday and today i've been trying to do 40 like candidate was talking about i think i'll be able to squeak by with probably 60 its hard but today has been much easier than yesterday was..........

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
Yeah, I am going at about 100 grams now, and I don't feel any cravings at all. I'll try to gradually lower it some more. When my workouts starts to suffer too much, I'll reconsider and adjust. I'll probably get where I want to be eventually.

I haven't been hungry for two years or so until recently. I actually quite enjoy the feeling. Those words will prolly come and bite me later, but oh well...

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
I haven't been hungry for two years or so until recently. I actually quite enjoy the feeling. Those words will prolly come and bite me later, but oh well...

yes they will... cookies, crackers, chocolate bars... you are gonna want it so bad after a month ;D

I think you should take carbs post workout, I do it, only half of normal amount tough. 45g dextrose together with 35g whey. Breakfast and post-workout are the 2 most important meals of the day, in a calorie deficit even more so.
tank u jesus

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
yes they will... cookies, crackers, chocolate bars... you are gonna want it so bad after a month ;D

I think you should take carbs post workout, I do it, only half of normal amount tough. 45g dextrose together with 35g whey. Breakfast and post-workout are the 2 most important meals of the day, in a calorie deficit even more so.
Yeah, but I tried a workout here the other day when I had gone six hours without carbs, and it was abysmal. Maybe I should try to spread the carbs out so I get some in the morning, some before and some after the workout. It's worth a shot.

And the hunger is a sign it's working, no? It feels really good just walking around and not feeling so stuffed all the time. My progress had stopped too, so eating all that food without it getting put to use was kind of non-motivating. I will try a different approach, and I am sure the gains will return when I start bulking again later on. Change is good.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »
Try to eat a meal with carbs at least 2-3 hours before you workout, not much longer. At what time do you workout?
tank u jesus

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 02:29:04 PM »
Try to eat a meal with carbs at least 2-3 hours before you workout, not much longer. At what time do you workout?
That's the thing. I usually workout at nine in the evening. I know it's not ideal, but it fits my daily schedule perfectly, and there are less people there.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Yeah not the best time... I would take carbs in the PWO shake, 40g max and that's the last carbs for the day and then eat protein only after that. Eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and at 6 or 7 in the evening. maybe like 40g breakfast, 40g at lunch, 40g at 6pm and 40g pwo, that 160g carbs. For a 195lbs male that should not be too high in the beginning of the diet and on days when you don't workout just skip the dextrose and you have 120g carbs on those days.

When you're progrerss is slowing down and you are not losing as much, cut out the carbs at lunch. Then you have 120g carbs on training days and 80g on off days.
tank u jesus

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
The carb distribution you are outlining there is basically what I am doing now, just smaller amounts and nothing PWO, coz it's so late in the evening when I am done with the workout. I know it's stupid not to take in any carbs PWO, it's just gotten that way these first two weeks. Maybe I'll try to get my ass to the gym a little earlier in the evening. Lots of people say different things regarding the amount of carbs I should be taking, so I am trying to find the amount that gives me a compromise between energy levels and fat loss. I don't have a deadline, so there's no rush. Of course, having it as right as possible from the start is a good thing.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 03:32:16 PM »
In the beginning of a diet you are going to lose 10lbs without effort as the water comes off, so you don't need to be so low in carbs yet. the amounts i mentioned is what i used and i went from 200lbs to 190 pretty easy, then 185 and there it slowed down. At that stage is where you want to cut your carbs down more.
tank u jesus

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
Diet Mountain Dew and cigarettes. I see really skinny kids standing outside the stores using this diet, so it must work.
E

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
Diet Mountain Dew and cigarettes. I see really skinny kids standing outside the stores using this diet, so it must work.

Actually, I've seen the exact same method work....people I saw even used regular Mt. Dew :o
Air Falcon

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 02:28:45 AM »
Well, they aren't selling Mountain Dew in Norway anymore. It didn't catch on  :(

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 02:50:43 AM »
yes there skinny but have no muscle
DAWG

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 04:31:10 AM »
150 grams of carbs is too much. she is right..i wouldnt go more than 60grams daily.

the whole "carb cycling" thing..i am not too sure of. but laura is a competitor and has obviously dieted before; so i would listen to her about the carb spike thing.  i do it, but only every other chest day(once every ten days), and i spike my carbs up to 80 grams, from my daily 40.  the reason i do this is because i am trying to build up my chest while i diet down...(and i have to take it pretty easy o all my other body parts, so all of my tissue repair capabilities can be fast tracked to my chest.

and youe energy levels should be fine once you body gets used to the new diet...you body will start using fat as an energy source; wich is a little bit more smooth, and consistant type of energy.

another tip...if you could make 100% of your daily fat intake healthy fats, that would be amazing. youll need to supplement with a bunch of fish oil of course, but this; in my experience, works wonders.
::)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 06:00:50 AM »
yes there skinny but have no muscle

The title said diet advice needed, not muscle gaining.  ::)
E

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2007, 06:06:50 AM »
Haha, easy now boys. Let's not run this boat into the ground. Diet advice is what I asked for, and that was what I got. Somewhat contradictory at times, but that's okay. I can think a bit for myself too.

And I said in my first post that I would like to keep as much muscle as possible, and I don't think the cigs and Mountain Dew advice fulfils that criteria ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2007, 06:10:28 AM »
Haha, easy now boys. Let's not run this boat into the ground. Diet advice is what I asked for, and that was what I got. Somewhat contradictory at times, but that's okay. I can think a bit for myself too.

And I said in my first post that I would like to keep as much muscle as possible, and I don't think the cigs and Mountain Dew advice fulfils that criteria ;D

Ok, well what do you think about the Russians trying to claim the North Pole as their land the other day Nick?
E

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2007, 06:25:01 AM »
As long as they stay off my god damn ice, they can have all the sea bottom they can carry.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
::)
what is wrong with my advice, bitch?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »
candidate2025 you sure are low carb :o
80g is a spike? you call that a high day? aren't you really empty/hungry?
I would guess that spike is so small it won't have an effect, you being so low-carb already those extra carbs will just be sucked up and you'll still be hungry. To me a high day is 200g maybe even 300g carb from oatmeal and brown-rice. That really gets your metabolism going.
tank u jesus

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:42 AM »
no i really feel awake and energized to the max when i eat anymore than 40 grams of carbs.   and when i am going on my nomral low days(30 gram), i feel just fine...not energetic, but i am able to work out no problem and i am alert and can concentrate without any difficulty.

i used to be an idiot and would go with zero grams of carbs, and then i would feel a little bit tired during the day.

i think the reason i dont need any real amount of carbs is because my metabolism goes at the pace of a turtles.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
It's called ketotnes or how ever you spell it.anyways the whole carbs for enegy is bull.
DAWG

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 09:08:19 PM »
Hm. I am getting mixed messages here. I am currently taking in about 100 grams of carbs a day, and it feels like taking it lower than that will be somewhat counter-productive, no?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
It's my understanding that you are either in ketosis, or you are not in ketosis.  If you're shooting for a ketoginic diet, fats have to be high since they're your energy source.  Di Pasquale's "Anabolic Diet" recommends a ratio of 60f-35p-5c through the week, with a 36-48 hour carb up on the weekend.  I haven't tried it myself.

If you're not burning fats for fuel, then reducing carbs is just insulin control IMHO, which you're doing fairly effectively already with low GI choices Santa.  The worst approach would be to hover at the edge of ketosis with a daily carb intake high enough to keep you out, but low enough to make you foggy and tired.  If you're going to go low carb, then go all the way and suffer through the changeover, but I wouldn't choose the semi-low carb, or "reduced carb" approach myself.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with your current approach (in the original post).  If you're eating a more-or-less Zone Diet 40c-30p-30f (incl. EFAs), just address your total calories.  Reduce them gradually (reassess as metabolism adjusts) and increase interval cardio.  If you border on overtraining as a bulker, accept that you're going to have to reduce the workload in the gym when in calorie debt, perhaps consolodate your split to allow more days without weights.  If you're natural, don't do anything extreme.

My $.02.