Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Sports Discussion Boards

harbaugh rips michigan...players, coach respond...

(1/1)

rockyfortune:
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan players and coaches are lashing out at Jim Harbaugh over remarks the former Wolverines quarterback and current Stanford coach made about his alma mater in a newspaper interview.

Michigan tailback Mike Hart says he has no respect for Harbaugh.

"He's not a Michigan man, and I wish he had never played here," Hart said this week during the Big Ten media meetings in Chicago. "I've never met him, and I don't want to."

Harbaugh in May told the San Francisco Examiner that Michigan admitted athletes who were borderline academically, then steered them into less-challenging courses to keep them eligible.

"They're adulated when they're playing," Harbaugh was quoted as saying. "But when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

Harbaugh later told The Ann Arbor News that even serious student athletes are encouraged to take easier majors.

Coach Lloyd Carr called Harbaugh's comments "elitist" and "arrogant."

"Do I think they're elitist? Yeah," Carr told The Detroit News on Wednesday. "Arrogant? Yes. Self-serving? Yes."

Hart hinted that Harbaugh has blown his chance of ever coaching the Wolverines.

"He can say what he said and not talk about Michigan. ... There's always a coaching ladder," Hart told the Detroit Free Press. "He coached at San Diego and could have spent a (few) years at Stanford and maybe come to Michigan. But I don't know what he was thinking. It was a dumb move."

Gary Migdol, a Stanford athletic department spokesman, did not offer immediate comment when contacted Thursday by The Associated Press

Doug_Steele:
This is funny to me as i am a MICHIGAN GRAD....he is upset that he could not get the MICHIGAN job....i see coach Carr every year and he looks like he is in great shape and is feeling good.....his personality is what it is...kinda dull....MICHIGAN gets great recruits and Stanford is a great academic instution as well....he just seems mad that some MICHIGAN players leave early....if there is millions in front of a kid...he is taking it and if they wanna graduate....they will do that....he is not a MICHIGAN MAN....i just hope there team gets killed when they play usc or Cal....plus he said he got a great education from MICHIGAN....what a clown....BO would be disappointed with him...I am glad Mike Hart said what he said about Harbaugh...I mean how many other top schools bend the rules for kids....I go to 4 home games a year and meet the team and they are great kids....Ryan Mallet is a great kid and so is Donovan Warren...but i am down in Florida now...i met some of the stars on fsu, Miami and Florida....every team has kids that seem to be thugs...Bottom line is Harbaugh is mad he is not the head coach of MICHIGAN and it was never open

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version