Author Topic: More whites, fewer Asians in Hawaii  (Read 1153 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
More whites, fewer Asians in Hawaii
« on: August 09, 2007, 09:09:25 AM »
Interesting stats.  Why do we keep track of race in this country?  Should we just eliminate race from the census criteria? 

Posted on: Thursday, August 9, 2007
More whites, fewer Asians in Hawaii
By Christie Wilson
Advertiser Neighbor Island Editor

Census Bureau data released yesterday show a continuing shift in Hawai'i's racial makeup, with the percent of Asians in decline while the white population increases.

The state's population overall increased an estimated 6.1 percent in the past year, to 1.285 million.

Population estimates for July 2006 show that people who claimed Asian descent alone or in combination with other races accounted for 55.6 percent of the state's total population, down from 58.2 percent in 2000.

Meanwhile, the white population (alone or in combination) accounted for 42.6 percent of the state's total population in July 2006, up from the 40.3 percent in 2000.

The white-alone population increased to 28.6 percent, or an average of 9,227 people a year from 2000 to 2006, said Eugene Tian, a research and statistics officer with the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, who provided analysis of the census data.

The population of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders (alone or in combination) made up 21.4 percent of Hawai'i's total population, a decline from 23.4 percent in 2000. The largest decline in the Hawaiian/Pacific Islander population was in Honolulu County, which lost 12,623 members during that period, according to Tian.

The other counties showed a net increase in the Hawaiian/Pacific Islander population, but the Honolulu loss was enough to overwhelm the Neighbor Island gains, and the state as a whole showed a loss of 8,664 Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders from 2000 to 2006.

However, researchers who study the Native Hawaiian community have long disputed Census Bureau methods and say there are plenty of signs the population is actually growing.

The sum of percentages exceeds 100 percent because a person can be counted more than once, depending on how many races he or she claims.

In national rankings, Honolulu County led the nation with a population that was 59 percent Asian. The only other U.S. county with an Asian majority was Kaua'i.

In terms of numbers, Honolulu County had the nation's largest population of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders (177,000), and Los Angeles County was second (59,000).

. . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070809/NEWS01/708090342

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: More whites, fewer Asians in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:11:36 AM »
Interesting stats.  Why do we keep track of race in this country? 

Because of the Bible.

Thanks a lot, religiosos.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:34:52 AM »
Because of the Bible.

Thanks a lot, religiosos.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »
This is interesting. This morning on the NYTimes' homepage, there was a story about how minorities are numerically dominant in 1/3  of the largest counties in America. All the white people must be moving to Hawaii.

I'm in advertising and a large part of my job is breaking down demographic data.
Queens, NY is the only county in America where Black households outearn white households, but a large part of that is due to the fact that most whites have fled for places like LI and  CT.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »
This is interesting. This morning on the NYTimes' homepage, there was a story about how minorities are numerically dominant in 1/3  of the largest counties in America. All the white people must be moving to Hawaii.

I'm in advertising and a large part of my job is breaking down demographic data.
Queens, NY is the only county in America where Black households outearn white households, but a large part of that is due to the fact that most whites have fled for places like LI and  CT.

Are you talking about the same New York that Camel Jockey is always ragging on?   :)  I would have thought Prince's George's County in Maryland or someplace in the south (like Atlanta) would have those kinds of numbers.

Why is race part of the demographic data in advertising?  Do you guys tailor your advertising based in part on race?   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
Are you talking about the same New York that Camel Jockey is always ragging on?   :)  I would have thought Prince's George's County in Maryland or someplace in the south (like Atlanta) would have those kinds of numbers.

Why is race part of the demographic data in advertising?  Do you guys tailor your advertising based in part on race?   

Imagine the most ridiculously esoteric demographic you can come up with. One- legged, hermaphroditic dwarves? Yeah, there has been an ad campaign tailored for them. ;)

That is to say demographic data takes into account everything from race, income, environment, number of kids, age, how many rooms your house has, how many televisions your house has, how much you spend on your cell phone bill, how much you spend on breakfast cereal, etc...

In regards to Queens, I didn't say it was the richest black county (which I believe Prince George is), just that blacks there. on the whole, OUTEARN whites.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
Imagine the most ridiculously esoteric demographic you can come up with. One- legged, hermaphroditic dwarves? Yeah, there has been an ad campaign tailored for them. ;)

That is to say demographic data takes into account everything from race, income, environment, number of kids, age, how many rooms your house has, how many televisions your house has, how much you spend on your cell phone bill, how much you spend on breakfast cereal, etc...

In regards to Queens, I didn't say it was the richest black county (which I believe Prince George is), just that blacks there. on the whole, OUTEARN whites.

Ah yes.  Income does not = net worth.  Outearning could mean 50k vs. 45k a year.  Thanks for the clarification. 

So tell me about the race aspect involved in advertising.  I've heard, for example, that the racial makeup of models in magazine ads are all deliberate.  If you see five white females, that means the ad specifically called for white females.  Same with other races.  Is that true?   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »
Ah yes.  Income does not = net worth.  Outearning could mean 50k vs. 45k a year.  Thanks for the clarification. 

So tell me about the race aspect involved in advertising.  I've heard, for example, that the racial makeup of models in magazine ads are all deliberate.  If you see five white females, that means the ad specifically called for white females.  Same with other races.  Is that true?   

It's generally a little more complicated than that. I'm mostly in ad sales and demo analysis, so I don't actually plan campaigns, but there are some general principals.

To appeal to minorities, advertisers will usually cast all minorities. The biggest exception is clothing aimed at young blacks- Mid-size black clothing advertisers tend to use diverse models to imply broader appeal.

Most things middle-class family oriented will be cast white (i.e. cereal and discount stores), but higher end campaigns(electronics, vacations) tend to use more ethnically diverse casts.

Young white women are more receptive to ads featuring diverse casts. Middle aged white men are generally more responsive to ads featuring all whites. Black women respond best to ads featuring all blacks. It doesn't really matter all that much with black men.

People with higher incomes tend to be less influenced by race in ads until you reach
the $100,000/household threshold- at this point you want to go all white.

In terms of aesthetics, women are generally harder on other women's looks. A group of men will describe a woman as "sexy" or "beautiful" where a group of women will describe her as "plain" or "slutty". Casting women who aren't models is seen as a challenge, and you'll notice women are often seen alone or with other women instead of men in commercials.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »
It's generally a little more complicated than that. I'm mostly in ad sales and demo analysis, so I don't actually plan campaigns, but there are some general principals.

To appeal to minorities, advertisers will usually cast all minorities. The biggest exception is clothing aimed at young blacks- Mid-size black clothing advertisers tend to use diverse models to imply broader appeal.

Most things middle-class family oriented will be cast white (i.e. cereal and discount stores), but higher end campaigns(electronics, vacations) tend to use more ethnically diverse casts.

Young white women are more receptive to ads featuring diverse casts. Middle aged white men are generally more responsive to ads featuring all whites. Black women respond best to ads featuring all blacks. It doesn't really matter all that much with black men.

People with higher incomes tend to be less influenced by race in ads until you reach

In terms of aesthetics, women are generally harder on other women's looks. A group of men will describe a woman as "sexy" or "beautiful" where a group of women will describe her as "plain" or "slutty". Casting women who aren't models is seen as a challenge, and you'll notice women are often seen alone or with other women instead of men in commercials.

Fascinating stuff.  Thanks very much for the info.   

Sounds like we don't have a colorblind society. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »

interesting . . . is there a higher threshold?  what class does the $100k/household mark in advertising?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
interesting . . . is there a higher threshold?  what class does the $100k/household mark in advertising?

There are some peculiar attitude shifts in people above the  multi-$$million  mark, but that demographic is not really large enough to target in a mass campaign.

$100k/household is generally considered the highest earning large demo that can be targeted effectively.

There are shops that specialize in super-luxe merchandise and niche brands that target multimillionaires, but all of our brands are mid to upper-mid market.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »

Great stuff.  Thanks.