Author Topic: I said I would post a video of my next stiff-legged deadlift session...  (Read 5276 times)

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
Re: I said I would post a video of my next stiff-legged deadlift session...
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2007, 02:17:28 PM »
Do you deadlift? If so, how much have you pulled? Chris is obviously an extremely experienced deadlifter. He knows the angles where he gets most leverage and power. You aren't talking to a newbie and I doubt he needs your help.

Easy bigguy, just giving my opinion on an opinionated board.  My best for reps in all honesty is less than what he's doing for reps.  Using a strength coach from UNLV I managed to pound 405 for reps and then quickly moved away from deads for the summer.  The only reason I mention about form is because on video I did the same type of technique as him and I made tremendous progress by switching my form so I will agree everyone is different and he could possibly benefit as well.  Only he can make that call.  For me my legs where the strong point, not my back.  Just my .02's...its all good... ;)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
Easy bigguy, just giving my opinion on an opinionated board.  My best for reps in all honesty is less than what he's doing for reps.  Using a strength coach from UNLV I managed to pound 405 for reps and then quickly moved away from deads for the summer.  The only reason I mention about form is because on video I did the same type of technique as him and I made tremendous progress by switching my form so I will agree everyone is different and he could possibly benefit as well.  Only he can make that call.  For me my legs where the strong point, not my back.  Just my .02's...its all good... ;)
Don't forget that he was doing stiff legged deadlifts. If he would have wanted to pull a maximal single rep he would have bent his legs more.

There are tons of variations and exercises you can do to build your deadlift to strengthen every part of the chain. For example I do good mornings seated, standing, straight back, sometimes slightly round back, wide stance, short range, full range, concentric etc. Same with deads; straight leg, bent leg, arched back, rounded back, deficit deads, deficit with snatch grip, rack pulls, speed pulls and on and on.

Looking at Chris' strength I'm sure he has put in a lot of time and thought into his training so I doubt he is rounding his back out of ignorance. See what I'm saying?

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
Don't forget that he was doing stiff legged deadlifts. If he would have wanted to pull a maximal single rep he would have bent his legs more.

There are tons of variations and exercises you can do to build your deadlift to strengthen every part of the chain. For example I do good mornings seated, standing, straight back, sometimes slightly round back, wide stance, short range, full range, concentric etc. Same with deads; straight leg, bent leg, arched back, rounded back, deficit deads, deficit with snatch grip, rack pulls, speed pulls and on and on.

Looking at Chris' strength I'm sure he has put in a lot of time and thought into his training so I doubt he is rounding his back out of ignorance. See what I'm saying?

That makes total sense...i'm pretty one dimensional sometimes.   ;D

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2007, 03:06:06 PM »
Good lifts!

In my opinion, many...if not most of the 'correct' ways to do an exercise are wrong. 

Biomechanically, there are so many leverage points, and joint angles...especially in a multi-joint movement like the deadlift that a generalized 'form' instruction of "keep your head up" is really pointless.

Unless you're willing to measure the shearing forces, fulcrum, joint angle, distance from the midline of the body, etc., etc. for each vertebrae (taking into consideration a person's natural predisposition to kyphosis or lordosis at each section of the spine), also taking into consideration the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and wrist joints....and doing this for EACH person doing the lift, you can't really be certain of a correct form.

Thanks Justin.

One more thing, you can train your body to accept certain forces.  In other words, I worked my way up in strength gradually over time and allowed my body to keep pace with the ever increasing loads.

The same phenomena can be seen with Olympic lifters who can literally bounce at the rock bottom position of a front squat with over 500 lbs placing incredible stress on their knees.  They can do so because they have trained for it and conditioned the connective tissue in their knees.
w

jonsande

• Getbig II
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
Awesome lifts!  But watching your back hunched over like that made my spine tingle  :-\  Be careful, bro!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »

As empty as paradise

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Thanks Justin.

One more thing, you can train your body to accept certain forces.  In other words, I worked my way up in strength gradually over time and allowed my body to keep pace with the ever increasing loads.

The same phenomena can be seen with Olympic lifters who can literally bounce at the rock bottom position of a front squat with over 500 lbs placing incredible stress on their knees.  They can do so because they have trained for it and conditioned the connective tissue in their knees.

Who goves a shit about your form, you naturally got ten reps on 500 poundson deadlift lol.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »
Watching some of the posts who cl;early belong to nerds who can't even roll 500 lbs on the floor criticizing his form and telling chris to be careful with his back hahahhaa :D