Author Topic: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)  (Read 152027 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Mayor Dixon re-indicted on theft and perjury charges in City Hall probe
Baltimore Business Journal - by Daniel J. Sernovitz Staff

Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon was indicted Wednesday for the second time since January in connection with the ongoing City Hall corruption investigation.

She now faces multiple counts of theft and perjury as the case appears to be heating up with the cooperation of Dixon’s former boyfriend, Ronald H. Lipscomb.

Dixon allegedly failed to report lavish gifts from Lipscomb, a minority developer, and used gift cards donated to the city for needy families, according to the initial charges filed by State Prosecutor Robert A. Rohrbaugh.

Some of those charges were thrown out by a Baltimore City Circuit Court judge in late May, citing legislative immunity.

Since then, Rohrbaugh said in a press release Wednesday, Lipscomb pled guilty to campaign finance violations and agreed to cooperate with the state in its investigation.

Both sets of charges against the mayor stem from 2005, when Dixon was president of city council and romantically involved with Lipscomb, whose developments have benefited from millions of dollars in city tax breaks and incentives.

Lipscomb is president of Doracon Contracting, a minority owner the Harbor East development along Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. The majority owner is H&S Properties Development Corp., which is headed by bakery mogul John Paterakis Sr.

On Tuesday, Rohrbaugh charged Paterakis with violating campaign finance laws in connection with the City Hall probe and additional charges against City Councilwoman Helen Holton. Dixon’s trial is scheduled to start in September.

City Council President Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a statement: "The charges must be answered as part of the legal process in the court of law. Now it is time to let the lawyers do their jobs, and the City Council will remain focused on doing its job — making government work for the people of Baltimore."

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2009/07/27/daily38.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
New Jersey mayor resigns amid corruption scandal

(CNN) -- Hoboken, New Jersey, Mayor Peter Cammarano III -- one of dozens of politicians and rabbis arrested last week in a corruption scandal -- has resigned, the city attorney said Friday.

Steve Kleinman said City Council President Dawn Zimmer will be sworn in immediately as acting mayor. He said Cammarano's letter of resignation, delivered to the city clerk at 9:15 a.m., said his resignation would be effective at noon Friday.

The Democratic Hoboken mayor was one of 44 people arrested in last week's federal corruption probe.

In his letter to the city clerk, Cammarano, 32, denied all criminal wrongdoing, but said the charges have disrupted the city government and his ability to perform mayoral duties.

"It had been my hope and expectation that I could remain in office and perform my official duties until I had the opportunity to resolve the legal charges against me in court," he wrote.

"Regrettably, it has turned out that the controversy surrounding the charges against me has become a distraction to me and an impediment to functioning of Hoboken government."

He apologized to Hoboken residents for the "disruption and disappointment" the case has caused, but said, "I am innocent of any criminal charges and I intend to fight the allegations against me."

Authorities said that 29 public officials and associates took hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes, and that 15 people -- including five rabbis -- engaged in money laundering. Read about some linked to investigation »

One of the federal complaints alleges that Cammarano took about $25,000 in bribes from a government witness posing as a real estate developer.

Dennis Elwell, 64, the Democratic mayor of Secaucus, in northern New Jersey, resigned Tuesday after being charged with accepting $10,000 from a confidential informant.

Elwell's attorney, Thomas Cammarata, said the mayor had decided that resigning was in the best interest of his family and the people of Secaucus, but was not an admission of guilt.

"Dennis pleaded not guilty to the charges, is presumed innocent and will vigorously defend the unproven allegations made against him," the attorney said.

Other city leaders arrested include Anthony Suarez, 42, the Democratic mayor of Ridgefield, New Jersey, and Leona Beldini, 74, the Democratic deputy mayor of Jersey City, prosecutors said.
advertisement

Earlier this week, Democrats L. Harvey Smith and Daniel Van Pelt -- two members of the New Jersey State Assembly who were among the officials arrested in the probe -- were stripped of their legislative pay and benefits, Assembly Speaker Joseph J. Roberts Jr. announced.

When the arrests were announced July 23, prosecutors said investigators had searched about 20 locations in New Jersey and New York to recover "large sums of cash and other evidence of criminal conduct," and executed 28 seizure warrants against bank accounts that they believe were involved in laundering money.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/31/new.jersey.mayor.resign/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Ex-Rep. Jefferson convicted of corruption
From Paul Courson
CNN

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia (CNN) -- Former U.S. Rep. William Jefferson of Louisiana was convicted Wednesday on 11 of the 16 corruption charges against him in a case that included the discovery of $90,000 in his freezer.

A federal court jury convicted Jefferson on four bribery counts, three counts of money laundering, three counts of wire fraud and one count of racketeering. He was acquitted on five other counts including wire fraud and obstruction of justice.

Jefferson, a 62-year-old Democrat, was indicted by a federal grand jury on June 4, 2007, about two years after federal agents said they found the cash in his freezer. Authorities said the cash was part of a payment in marked bills from an FBI informant in a transaction captured on video.

Jefferson had pleaded not guilty. He faces a maximum possible sentence of 150 years in prison, with sentencing tentatively set for October 30.

After the verdict on the fifth day of jury deliberations, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis turned down a prosecution request for Jefferson to be taken into custody, ruling that he posed no flight risk.

The verdict showed that "no person, not even a congressman, is above the law," said U.S. Attorney Dana Boente of the Eastern District of Virginia. Asked what might have turned the case in the prosecution's favor, Boente said: "We always thought that a powerful piece of evidence in this case was $90,000 in a freezer."

A stern-faced Jefferson emerged from the courthouse with his lawyer, Robert Trout, who said the verdict would be appealed.

"We're very disappointed that the jury disagreed with us," Trout said.

Asked how he was holding up, Jefferson smiled briefly and answered, "I'm holding up," before walking away.

Jefferson was accused of using his congressional clout between 2001 and 2005 to solicit and receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes for himself and his family in exchange for promoting products and services in Africa, especially Nigeria, and elsewhere.

The information on the cash discovered in Jefferson's Washington home in August 2005 was revealed in an affidavit used to obtain a warrant to search Jefferson's office in May 2006. Descriptions from the heavily redacted affidavit and pictures of the open freezer show bills wrapped in foil and tucked into frozen food containers, including a box for pie crusts and another for veggie burgers.

FBI agents told a judge the money was part of a $100,000 payment delivered by an informant in the bribery investigation, which led to guilty pleas by a Kentucky businessman and a former Jefferson aide.

Jefferson, who graduated from Harvard Law School, represented Louisiana's 2nd Congressional District, which includes most of the New Orleans area He held office for 18 years, or nine terms, before he lost his House seat to Anh Joseph Cao in the December 2008 election.

"This is a difficult day for the people of New Orleans and Louisiana, but now we can turn the page on a negative past to focus on a positive future," Cao said. "My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Jefferson and his family during this time."

As a representative, he served on the House Ways and Means Committee's subcommittee on trade and on the Budget Committee, and he co-chaired the caucus on Africa Trade and Investment as well as the caucus on Nigeria.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/05/us.rep.trial/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
John Edwards’ ex-girlfriend Rielle Hunter before grand jury
By Mandy Locke / The News & Observer
Thursday, August 6, 2009 -

RALEIGH, N.C. — Rielle Hunter, John Edwards’ former girlfriend, slipped in the back door of the federal courthouse this morning to speak to a grand jury.

Hunter carried her daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, who was born in February 2008. Edwards, a former senator from North Carolina, has denied being the father of Frances, though he has admitted an affair with Hunter during his failed run in 2006 for the Democratic nomination for president.

Hunter held Frances close as she followed two federal agents into the courthouse. Frances wore a bonnet and a white dress.

A throng of reporters shouted to Hunter over a metal fence and across the back parking lot of the courthouse. She did not reply.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether Edwards misused campaign funds as hush money for Hunter.

Hunter, a recovered drug addict and videographer, was paid $100,000 by the Edwards campaign in 2006 to produce a series of videos offering an intimate look at Edwards during his campaign. As part of the investigation, the grand jury may ask questions that will help them determine whether Hunter was paid a fair market rate for her work.

Andrew Young, a former Edwards aide who claimed paternity of Hunter’s daughter, has pitched a tell-all book to a New York publisher. In his proposal, Young said he is not the father of Frances Quinn and that he earlier took responsibility for the child as a favor to Edwards.

Edwards is married to Elizabeth Edwards, who is suffering from cancer.

Federal prosecutors have declined to confirm or deny an investigation into Edwards, but he acknowledged the probe to The Raleigh News & Observer in May.

The investigation will require grand jurors to sift through millions of dollars in donations gathered over several years to help launch Edwards’ presidential run. Much of it was collected in large chunks by non-profit groups kept at arm’s length from Edwards. It is not clear how all of that money was spent.

The federal grand jury meets in secret. Its discussions are confidential. The jurors have the power to bring criminal charges but can also decline to pursue a matter brought before them by prosecutors.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20090806john_edwards_ex-girlfriend_rielle_hunter_before_grand_jury/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Major Clinton, Dem donor arrested
POLITICO.COM

Hassan Nemazee, a former finance chairman of Chuck Schumer's Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and top Hillary Clinton fundraiser, has been charged and arrested on for allegedly trying to defraud Citibank of $74 million by offering fake collateral on a loan.

The Nemazee arrest is the latest in a series of major Democratic embarassments surrounding major donors who made — or said they made — their fortunes in little-known private equity transactions. The best known of those, Clinton backer Norman Hsu, in fact ran a Ponzi scheme.

Nemazee was central to a large portion of the Democratic money operation. The Nation reported, in a little-noticed examination of his business, that he quietly hired Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe at one of his companies.

According to the complaint, Nemazee presented Citibank with "fraudulent and forged documents" and "falsely provided as the address and telephone numbers of various financial institutions purportedly vouching for his financial strength an address and telephone number that was, in fact, controlled by Nemazee."

CORRECTION: Nemazee was arrested this morning, not Sunday. He was, according to the complaint, confronted by federal agents Sunday on his way to board a flight to Rome. Monday, he repaid the full $74 million loan -- meaning that he was liquid, but that the money wasn't where he'd said it was.

________________________ ________________________ ___

HYSTERICAL.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Too bad he broke the law.  He was one of the more entertaining members of Congress. 

Traficant released from prison
Posted: September 2nd, 2009 11:51 AM ET
ROCHESTER, Minnesota (CNN) – Former Rep. James Traficant was released from federal prison Wednesday.

CNN affiliates KTTC and KAAL report that Traficant — sporting knee socks, shorts and a t-shirt, with his hair pulled back in a ponytail — left the Federal Medical Center prison facility in Rochester, Minnesota Wednesday morning in a cab.

Despite earlier reports that the nine-term Democratic congressman was headed for the local Greyhound station, the morning bus headed for his hometown area of Youngstown, Ohio left without him on board, and his name did not appear on the manifest.

Traficant served just over seven years in federal prison for charges that included obstruction of justice, tax evasion and bribery.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »
The plot sickens. 

John Edwards sticky web of deceit
by Emily Allen, The Kansas City Star Midwest Voices Columnist 2009

John Edwards, former North Carolina senator who in 2007 launched an unsuccessful campaign for president, is in the news again. Not only is a grand jury in North Carolina looking into payments made to his former mistress and campaign videographer Rielle Hunter, now a former Edwards employee, Andrew Young, is crying foul—just in time to raise more questions for the grand jury.

Young alleges that Edwards asked him to claim Hunter’s child as his, which he did. This, and no doubt more juicy bits, is in a book Young is trying to get published, according to The New York Times. In the book Young claims that Edwards has known since the beginning about Hunter’s child, knew the girl was his and promised to marry Hunter after his wife, who is battling cancer, dies.

It seems as if Edwards could use a session with Brad Blanton, a Virginia-based psychotherapist who advocates total honesty in all things. That means if your wife asks you, “Did you have an affair and father a child,” you say “Yes.” Side note: to avoid that uncomfortable exchange, avoid the affair.

Blanton hosts weekend get-togethers where people pay large sums of money to undress in front of other people so they can be honest about their body, a step in the process of becoming radically honest, a process that Edwards might benefit from.

Edwards admitted to the affair after denying it for as long as he could get away with. He’s been so dishonest that his political career, and I would imagine his marriage, are in need of extreme repair. It will be difficult for those sitting on the grand jury to believe any of Edwards’ answers in light of his lack of integrity in recent years.

Edwards would do well to come clean and be truthful about everything that’s happened, accept the penalties and move on. Only then will this be behind him.

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/5976

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
March 8, 2010
Massa details conversation that led to ethics probe
From CNN.com's Kristi Keck

(CNN) - Embattled Rep. Eric Massa said Sunday that the ethics investigation surrounding him stems from a sexually laced conversation he had at a New Year's Eve wedding.

The New York Democrat said in his weekly radio show that he wasn't told about the ethics probe until after he decided to retire and that he first learned the details of the investigation from news reports.

While at a wedding for one of his staff members, Massa said he danced with the bride and bridesmaid as cameras rolled.

"Absolutely nothing occurred," while he was dancing, he said.

Massa said he then sat with some staff members who were all bachelors. In a conversation fueled by alcohol, one staff member "made an intonation to me that maybe I should be chasing after the bridesmaid," Massa said.

Massa said he told the staffer beside him, "Well, what I really ought to be doing is fracking you."

Massa said he "tousled the guy's hair and left – went to my room because I knew the party was getting to a point where it wasn't right for me to be there," Massa said.

"Now was that inappropriate of me? Absolutely. Am I guilty? Yes," he continued.

Massa said the staff member to whom he made the remark never told him he felt uncomfortable. Instead, Massa said, someone else went to another staff member who was uncomfortable for the first staff member. That person in turn went to the House Ethics Committee.

"It was a third-party political correctness statement," Massa charged, reiterating that his information comes not from the ethics committee, but from what he read in newspapers.

Massa, who voted against the House's health care reform bill in November, said that he was being pushed out so Democrats could move ahead with reform.

"Now they've gotten rid of me and it will pass. You connect the dots," he said.

Massa on Wednesday had said he would not seek re-election because of health concerns and denied reports that he had harassed one of his Capitol Hill staffers. Two days later, he announced he would resign from the House effective Monday.

In a statement Friday, Massa said he had already decided to quit because of concerns about cancer before he learned that a staffer had complained to the ethics panel.

"After I decided not to run again, I was told, for the first time, that a member of my staff believed I had made statements that made him feel 'uncomfortable,' " Massa wrote.

"I own this reality," he continued. "There is no doubt in my mind that I did in fact, use language in the privacy of my own home and in my inner office that, after 24 years in the Navy, might make a Chief Petty Officer feel uncomfortable. In fact, there is no doubt that this Ethics issue is my fault and mine alone."

He goes on to lament the "incredibly toxic atmosphere" in Washington and says that an ethics probe "would tear my family and my staff apart." Investigators, he said, would "be free to ask anything about me going back to my birth."

"I simply cannot rise to that level of perfection," Massa wrote. "God knows that I am a deeply flawed and imperfect person."

Massa defeated an incumbent Republican with 51 percent of the vote in 2008. But John McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, also carried the same congressional district by 51 percent, which gives the GOP hope of taking back the seat.

A link to Massa's radio show was posted on WHAM-TV's Web site.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/08/massa-details-conversation-that-led-to-ethics-probe/?fbid=FvcXKbci4Cd#more-93482

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Culture of corruption. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Democrat Rep. John Conyers’ Wife, Monica Conyers Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for Bribery
March 11, 2010

Democrat Rep. John Conyers’ Wife, Monica Conyers Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for Bribery after a federal judge refused to toss out her guilty plea.

Conyers wished to withdraw her guilty plea, claiming "badgering" as the reason she submitted the plea in the first place. However, upon reviewing the transcript of the June hearing, U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn concluded Conyers had voluntarily pleaded guilty to conspiracy after denying any coercion.

Conyers had pleaded guilty in a cash which she admitted supporting a Houston company's sludge contract by taking cash. Upon leaving the courtroom, Conyers declared she would appeal and had previously stated, "I'm not going to jail for something I didn't do."

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978096559

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
 >:(

March 15, 2010
Edwards' mistress details affair to GQ
Posted: March 15th, 2010

(CNN) – John Edwards' mistress tells GQ that she slept with the former Democratic vice presidential nominee only hours after first meeting him in 2006, and that she still loves the father of their child.

"You're so hot," Rielle Hunter tells the magazine she said to the former North Carolina senator when she met him at a New York hotel.

Hunter said Edwards promptly provided her with his hotel room telephone number imploring that she call him immediately. When Hunter called a short time later, Edwards asked that she come to his room. Hunter tells the magazine that she "terrified" and told herself she would not sleep with him.

"I had never experienced anything like what was flowing between us," Hunter said in the interview. "I sat on the other side of the room. I wouldn't go near him. "And he kept saying 'What are you doin' over there? Come over here. I can't even see you. Come closer. I won't bite you."

"I was just-there was sooo much attraction and sooo much… I want to say love, but it wasn't love at that point. You know, it was just this, this magnetic force field like I had never experienced. It terrified me," Hunter said. "Absolutely terrified me. And, um, I eventually walked over to his side of the room. He was pretty relentless. And that's all I'm gonna say on that! Now fade to black!"

But Hunter said Edwards quickly realized the potential ramifications of the tryst, telling her that "Falling in love with you could really f- up my plans for becoming president."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans," Hunter said she told Edwards in response. Hunter was soon hired to work as a videographer for Edwards.

Hunter also told the magazine Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, learned of the affair in late December of 2006, days after Edwards announced he was running for president. She said Edwards' wife found a cell phone her husband used only to call Hunter.

She "picked up the phone and called me, because it was the last number dialed," Hunter said. "And I answered the phone and said 'Hey, baby.' And, click."

But Hunter says the two continued their affair, even after Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returned the following March. According to Hunter, the two conceived their daughter that May and Hunter discovered she was pregnant in July.

Edwards took the news well, Hunter said.

"He was always very gracious about it," she said. "And always said that he would support whatever decision I made. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion. Because he didn't-he wasn't happy about the timing. Which is understandable. He was married and running for president."

As for the cover up, once the National Enquirer got wind of the story, Hunter says Andrew Young, the former top Edwards aide who recently wrote a tell-all book, volunteered to claim paternity.

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama,Clinton fundraiser admits $292 million fraud
Reuters ^ | March 18, 2010 | Grant McCool

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:34:30 PM by Oldeconomybuyer

NEW YORK, March 18 (Reuters) - A former political fundraiser for leading Democratic Party politicians, including Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, pleaded guilty on Thursday to defrauding three major banks out of $292.2 million in loan transactions.

Hassan Nemazee, 60, once head of a private equity firm and an Iranian American Political Action Committee board member, admitted in Manhattan federal court to defrauding Bank of America Corp (BAC.N) of more than $142 million, Citigroup Inc (C.N) of $74.9 million and HSBC Holdings Plc (HSBA.L) of $74.9 million to pay his debt to Citigroup.

Nemazee, a U.S. citizen, admitted to three charges of bank fraud and one charge of wire fraud and will be sentenced by U.S. District Judge Sidney Stein. Federal guidelines call for a sentence of between 15 years, eight months and 19 years, seven months.

Prosecutors said the fraud took place from 1998 until Nemazee's arrest in August 2009.

(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Oprah Winfrey Snags Rielle Hunter Interview
Tuesday, 06 Apr 2010

Oprah Winfrey has landed the first televised interview with Rielle Hunter since former presidential candidate John Edwards first admitted two years ago that he had an affair with Hunter.

Harpo Productions said Tuesday that Hunter will appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show on an unspecified date.

GQ magazine last month published the first interview with Hunter in which she addressed the scandal. She told the magazine the affair ended in July 2008 and that the relationship is now something "different." She didn't say whether they are still romantically involved but said Edwards wants to be there for their 2-year-old daughter.

Edwards admitted in January that he is the girl's father after initially denying it. He and his wife, Elizabeth Edwards, are now separated.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/US-Winfrey-Rielle-Hunter/2010/04/06/id/354910

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
 ::)

Spitzer wants to run again
Posted: April 8th, 2010 09:03 AM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Former New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer told Fortune Magazine that he hopes his career in politics is not over.
(CNN) - Former New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer, who resigned his post in 2008 after it was revealed he visited a high-priced prostitute, says he hopes his career in politics is not over.

"I love politics," Spitzer said in an interview with Fortune. "The substance, the debate about the issues."

Spitzer, who has quietly made efforts to repair his image in the two years since his resignation, reportedly considered challenging New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in a Democratic primary later this year. Gillibrand was appointed to her seat after Sen. Hillary Clinton was confirmed as Secretary of State.

But Spitzer, who enjoyed considerably higher approval ratings as governor than his successor - current Gov. David Paterson - says a 2010 run is probably not in the cards.

"As for a race in 2010? It is just hard to see," he said. "I've never said I would never consider running for office again."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/?fbid=XPBeW4MfwYo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Can't leave the GOP out of here.

GOP lawmaker pleads no contest to drunken driving

The Associated Press
Posted: 04/14/2010 10:59:08 AM PDT
Updated: 04/14/2010 10:59:08 AM PDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—State Sen. Roy Ashburn has pleaded no contest to misdemeanor drunken driving after an episode that forced the Bakersfield Republican to acknowledge he is gay.

He was sentenced to two days in jail and three years' probation. He also was ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and fees and had his driver's license was suspended for 30 days.

Ashburn entered his plea Wednesday. Sacramento County prosecutors said he had a blood alcohol level of .15, nearly double the legal limit, when his state-provided vehicle was stopped by the California Highway Patrol.

Reports that the conservative senator had been at a gay-friendly nightclub near the state Capitol prompted Ashburn to acknowledge his sexual orientation. Ashburn, who is 55, is not running for re-election.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14882221?nclick_check=1

Hey go update your own thread.   :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Nah... I'm gonna put up GOP misdeeds right here next to yours. :)

Why are you looking for a life long hobby?  Both parties are awful and should be disbanded. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I just want the thread to be fair and balanced.

I agree though... I would love to have 4 or 5 parties all equal in this country.

I'm just sayin.  Both parties' crime records is miles and miles long.   

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Also, it's much more effective to think independently instead of relying on out-of-context quotes by others.
I Love The True Adon

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'm just sayin.  Both parties' crime records is miles and miles long.   

Truth. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Details of prosecution case against Blagojevich emerge
Posted: April 14th, 2010

Chicago, Illinois (CNN) – Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his inner circle engaged in a near-constant conspiracy of extortion and kickbacks after his 2002 election, according to a court document released Wednesday that reveals details of the allegations against him.

The accusations also include tens of thousands of dollars in unearned commissions and unnecessary retainer fees diverted to Blagojevich's wife after he and his co-conspirators learned they were being investigated.

Blagojevich, a two-term Democrat, resigned in January 2009 amid accusations that he had attempted to sell the U.S. Senate seat that had been
occupied by newly elected President Barack Obama. The former governor was arrested the month before his resignation on federal corruption charges that included wire fraud, mail fraud and solicitation of bribery.

The ousted governor is quoted telling his former chief of staff, John Harris, that he wanted "a good gig" in exchange for an appointment to Obama's seat, either in Washington or with a lucrative private foundation. In a statement issued after the 91-page prosecution document was released, Blagojevich said there was "nothing new" in the paperwork.

"It's the same old false allegations and lies," he said. "I'm looking forward to trial so the truth comes out and everyone will see that I am innocent."

U.S. District Judge James Zagel ordered the document released without redactions over the objections of Blagojevich's lawyers. Several news
organizations had requested the document's release.

The accusations against Blagojevich include offering to divert state contracts to individuals and firms that made campaign contributions and appointing contributors or their associates to key state positions.

Fundraisers "understood that Blagojevich viewed those appointments as an opportunity to reward big fundraisers or Blagojevich's supporters," prosecutors wrote. "Blagojevich consistently wanted to know who recommended a particular candidate for a board or commission slot."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/14/details-of-prosecution-case-against-blagojevich-emerge/?fbid=XPBeW4MfwYo#more-99680

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Ethics Panel Opens Formal Probe Into Massa Case

FOXNews.com

The House ethics committee has voted to open a formal investigation into whether congressional officials mishandled allegations of misconduct against former Rep. Eric Massa.

The ethics committee voted unanimously to establish what's known as an investigative subcommittee to conduct a "full and complete" inquiry into whether House members or employees broke any rules in their handling of the matter. The panel cannot investigate former members.

The decision takes the Massa probe to the next level, and signals that -- after two attempts by Republicans to compel the ethics panel to act -- the committee is treating the matter seriously.

"The allegations surrounding former Representative Massa are serious and warrant a full and complete investigation," the committee said in a written statement Wednesday.

The New York Democrat resigned last month amid claims that he harassed male staff members.

The case returned to the spotlight over the past week after two former staff members filed complaints against Massa. The attorney for one of those former aides said last week that Massa's inappropriate conduct started in March 2009 and escalated from there -- including "highly sexualized comments" toward staff and inappropriate touching.

Massa then fired back after he faced another complaint from former chief of staff Joe Racalto. Massa alleged that somebody forged a $40,000 pay increase to Racalto -- a charge Racalto denied.

The ethics committee statement on Wednesday expressed an interest in determining whether money had been "misappropriated" in the Massa case. But the statement was mostly focused on determining what House officials knew about the Massa allegations and how they handled them.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office reportedly learned about the concerns as early as October 2009.

House Republican Leader John Boehner called for the investigation to be completed in a "timely fashion" in a statement Wednesday afternoon. 

"We need answers to serious questions: what did Democratic leaders know about former Rep. Massa's conduct? When did they know? What they did to protect the staff and interns who were being subjected to harassment by their boss?" Boehner said.

The investigative subcommittee will have four members: Reps. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif.; Ben Chandler, D-Ky.; Jo Bonner, R-Ala.; and Mike Conaway, R-Texas.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/21/ethics-panel-opens-formal-probe-massa-case/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Courtesy of 33:

NY attorney general sues state Senate leader
By MICHAEL GORMLEY (AP) – 4 hours ago

________________________ ________________________ _____

ALBANY, N.Y. — The majority leader of New York's Senate is accused of siphoning $14 million from his government-funded clinic in the Bronx for lavish restaurant meals, trips to Las Vegas and his own campaign, according to a civil lawsuit announced Tuesday by Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

The suit against Democratic Sen. Pedro Espada Jr. covers five years of spending, the last two of which Espada spent as a senator representing the Bronx. The suit also names 19 other current and former officials of Espada's Comprehensive Community Development Corp., known locally as Soundview and operating on about $12 million annually, mostly from state and federal government funds.

Cuomo said Espada diverted charitable assets to himself, relatives, friends and his political operation.

There was no immediate comment from Espada, who had called Cuomo's investigation a "witch hunt" to boost the attorney general's political career. Cuomo is widely expected to run for governor this fall but has not announced his candidacy.

Cuomo said the dealing included a severance package for Espada worth $9 million that was guaranteed and would send the clinic into bankruptcy if it's paid out. Cuomo said the CEO and the Soundview board, which he said is "packed" with Espada's friends and relatives, approved the 2005 transaction.

"Siphoning money from a charity would be egregious under any circumstances, but the fact that this was orchestrated by the state Senate majority leader makes it especially reprehensible," Cuomo said. "In New York, no one is above the law, and this suit should finally make that clear to Senator Espada."

Espada is the freshman senator who was instrumental in the coup that gridlocked the chamber last summer. The impasse ended when he left the Republican-led coalition to return the majority to Democrats, each time extracting a lucrative leadership title.

Cuomo said the clinic spent about $80,000 in restaurant bills for 650 meals for Espada or his supporters — an average of about $120 per meal — including more than 200 meals worth $20,000 at two sushi restaurants where Espada frequently ordered takeout. Cuomo also claims that funds were inappropriately used for Espada trips, including to Las Vegas and Puerto Rico and to rent a residence required to establish residency in the district for his Senate race in 2008.

In response to a reporter's question, Cuomo said nothing in the investigation shows misconduct by Espada in his role as a senator or in his direction of discretionary legislative grants known as "member items."

Cuomo said the case is about Espada's use of state and federal funds and whether he was truthful in applying for and spending the money. Cuomo said no action taken by the Senate, government agencies or oversight officials in the grant process is being questioned.

The lawsuit seeks restitution and removal of Espada and the board of directors from the nonprofit clinic.

There are no criminal charges. A felony conviction would cost Espada his Senate seat; the Democrats have a 32-30 majority in the Senate. Cuomo said the decision to go with a civil suit "at this time" was a legal strategy, not a political calculation involving Espada's seat.

Cuomo also said evidence supports long-standing accusations that Espada lived in Mamaroneck, not in his Bronx district as required.

"That is a question that is being raised and is being looked at," Cuomo said.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

________________________ ________________________ ___________________

And you guys wonder why I hate democrats and their big govt hacks and moron voters? 

Every democrat on this board who votes for people like Espada can go kill themselves and I would light a Cigar. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
She is twisted.  The woman was sleeping with a married man whose wife is dying of cancer, including during the period when Edwards renewed his wedding vows.  Her only comment should be "I'm sorry" and get on with her life.  The fact she has rationalized this is pretty sad.

Rielle Hunter: I was helping John Edwards find his 'authentic self'
Posted: 12:59 PM ET

Despite many people telling her it wasn’t the best idea to sit down with Oprah Winfrey for an interview, Rielle Hunter - politician John Edwards' mistress - decided to do it anyway.

"I feel in my heart it’s the right thing to do," Hunter said Thursday, especially now that "Johnny," as she calls him, has admitted paternity of their daughter, Frances Quinn.

Hunter said she wanted to set the facts straight about who she is, and that while she understands the judgment that has been heaped upon her, she doesn’t see herself as a home wrecker or gold digger, she told Winfrey.

“I have been unfairly judged,” Hunter said, adding that she believes people reacted so negatively to her relationship with Edwards because “a lot of people bought into the myth of the marriage as being a storybook story, being so perfect and wonderful, and I destroyed it,” she said.

While some have called her a gold digger, she “wasn’t after him for money, fame, attention. I was never after him. I met him and there was a very strong connection and attraction,” Hunter said. And as for the home-wrecking accusations, Hunter observed, "It’s not my experience that a third party can wreck a home. A home is wrecked before a third party comes into the picture."

Winfrey noted that Edwards’ former wife, Elizabeth, has said that Hunter approached Edwards and told him he was "hot." Hunter recounted their meeting as such: She said that she didn’t even know who Edwards was when she saw him at a hotel in New York in 2006, but she did feel an automatic connection with him. When she and Edwards bumped into each other on the street when Hunter was on her way to dinner, she said, "He lit up like a Christmas tree, and I turned to him and said, 'You’re so hot,' and he practically jumped in my arms. I said, 'I can help you,' and he said, 'I want your help, I need your help.' "

Hunter said she meant that she wanted to help him "see his authentic self" and "be more of his authentic self so people could see who he really is. My heart felt I could help him." She didn’t know how she was going to accomplish this, she told Winfrey, but when he gave her the number to the hotel room he was staying in, she did call later that night. Hunter said she was aware that he was married, but didn’t know anything about his relationship, and didn’t see anything weird or wrong about going to his hotel room.

"He was very sweet, generous and charming," she said of the evening. "We had a very, very long conversation about helping. He wanted help – he wanted to be more authentic and live a life of truth. He wanted to change his life."

Several days later, Hunter said she realized she was in love. "This was very difficult. ... I [thought] about his wife and his children. It was very hard … [but] the power of the love does override all of the issues and all the judgments that this is wrong."

She said Edwards "disclosed everything in his life," including that the Edwardses' marriage had had "problems for many, many years." The two had frequent, long conversations, she added, on a phone she purchased that looked his work phone.

John Edwards called off the affair at the end of 2006 after Elizabeth Edwards used the phone and called Hunter, but Hunter told Winfrey she never believed their relationship had ended. The affair continued when Edwards started campaigning for presidency.

"I followed my heart and I believe it was the right thing to do," she said. "Which is weird, I realize how weird that is. But I didn’t make a commitment to Elizabeth. I wasn’t the one lying to her. I was supporting him in his decisions. I knew he had a unique way of getting to his life of truth. I felt like I was supporting him and loving him until he got to where he needed to be."

By May 2007, Hunter was pregnant with Frances Quinn; the pair hadn’t been using birth control, and so they both knew that a baby could happen at any time. When Edwards renewed his vows in July, Hunter said he knew that she was carrying his child.

"I wasn’t seeing anyone else, and we both knew it was his child," Hunter said. And while his decision to renew his vows knowing that she was pregnant "crushed" her, she still didn’t think less of him.

Edwards offered Hunter support with whatever decision she made. Hunter said he never asked her to have an abortion or implied that she should do so. However, once photos emerged revealing that she was pregnant, Hunter agreed to make it seem as though Edwards' aide Andrew Young (also married) was the father of her baby, not Edwards.

The denial continued when Edwards sat down for an interview with ABC News in August 2008. At that point, he’d met his daughter, who was born in February, but he still denied knowing who she was.

"I watched it through a lot of tears, devastated," Hunter said. "Everyone who knew all the facts, said, 'please don’t do that interview,' but Elizabeth really wanted him to. She said that 'you have to get out in front of it and speak the truth' but she didn’t know the truth.'

It wasn’t until after the interview that Elizabeth learned that the baby was Edwards', Hunter said.

At this point, Hunter is staying mum on her relationship with John Edwards, because her personal life needs "boundaries," she said. “He does see [our daughter] regularly,” she added. “I still love him very much, [and] it’s my experience that he loves me, and I trust him very much.”

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/29/rielle-hunter-i-was-helping-john-edwards-find-his-authentic-self/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Ex-Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick Headed to Prison
Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick Sentenced To Prison
POSTED: Monday, May 24, 2010
UPDATED: 11:27 am EDT May 25, 2010

DETROIT -- Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is heading to prison.

Wayne County Judge David Groner sentenced him to one and half to five years.

Kilpatrick was escorted out of the courtroom in handcuffs and will be transported to Jackson, where he will be processed and soon learn which prison will become his new home.

Before the sentencing, Groner spent more than 20 minutes discussing what led to this court hearing in the first place.

As Kilpatrick stood before him listening, he looked deep in thought. Groner reminded him the court proceedings were taking place because of him. Groner told him, "You lied under oath about your relationship with your then Chief of Staff Christine Beatty." Groner continued to tell Kilpatrick it was the lawsuit that led to him being there and owing the city of Detroit.

"You, Mr. Kilpatrick raised the issue of the ability to pay restitution," Groner said. He said Kilpatrick opened the door to all of this when he said he couldn't pay. "Your continued attempt to thwart the fact-finding function of this court," said Groner.

Groner continued to explain all of the elements that led them to be at this sentencing and told him he continued to violate the law in hiding his assets.

Groner said because Kilpatrick is a public servant, he should be held to higher standards. He said, "You have failed to accept responsibility for your actions."

Groner said probation was no longer an option. He said, "That ship has sailed." Moments later, he told Kilpatrick he would be going to prison for up to five years.

Prosecutors and the defense spent the first hour going over the Pre-Sentencing Investigation Report given to them by Kilpatrick's probation officer.

The prosecution asked the judge to sentence him to a state prison and not allow his probation to continue.

Athena Siringas said his bad behavior has continued after his previous sentencing, saying he has intentionally and maliciously hidden assets from the court to prevent from paying his restitution.

She told Groner that he has continued to live a million-dollar lifestyle even though he owes a $1 million to the city of Detroit. She said he has failed to show that he is sorry. He continued to blame others on why he did not follow his probation. He has blamed his attorney, the media, and anyone else but himself, Siringas said.

She said he has willfully ignored the wishes of the court. Siringas said the prosecutor's office is recommending Kilpatrick be sentenced to 3-5 years in the Michigan Department of Corrections.
Kilpatrick's attorney Michael Schwartz told Groner that his client is sorry. He said his client has been cooperative and has made payments.

Schwartz denied that Kilpatrick asked anyone to help pay his restitution. He said that people who came forward and helped pay the money did it on their own.
Throughout Schwartz's appeal, Kilpatrick sat with his hand over his face. He looked straight on, never even looking at his attorney.

Schwartz repeated over and over that Kilpatrick is not and has not "thumbed his nose at this court," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said sending Kilpatrick to jail won't do anyone any good. He said he won't be able to make his payments to the city.

He said Kilpatrick is not malicious. He said he may have done some things wrong, made mistakes, but he never meant to hurt anyone.

Schwartz "suggested" that Groner allow the city to get its restitution. He said the only way for that to happen was to not send Kilpatrick to jail. He hushed the courtroom at one point when he told Groner that "It was fine if you want to be vindictive, but it's not fine if you want the city to get what it desperately needs," Schwartz said.

When asked if he wanted to speak, Kilpatrick said yes.

"Your honor, I first want to thank you for the opportunity. Let me just start by saying for whatever I did to cause and give rise to my probation, I apologize. It's hard to speak to some of the things that have been said about me. Let me start by saying I'm a human being. I'm a real life flesh and blood person," Kilpatrick told the court. "Often times when I read about myself or hear about it from the media, I'm extraordinarily confused, because it's not me. I am not the mayor of the city. The city has a new mayor."

"I wasn't going to do this. But I have to. I cheated on my wife your honor. I met my wife when I was 19-years-old and I knew she was going to be my wife. We planned on having children. The day I became the mayor, the whole focus changed. There's no one in this courtroom that can understand what its like to be on the global news wire reading text messages that your wife can read," Kilpatrick told the court.

"I spent a whole year feeling guilty for what I did to my wife, to my kids and to this city. When I walked out of that jail cell in February, the only thing on my mind was to reconcile with my family," Kilpatrick continued.
Kilpatrick claimed he never lied to the court.

He told the court he isn't a criminal. He isn't there because he is a danger to his community. He went on to say he was not there for a gun charge or a dope charge. He said "I am here because I got confused over some of the writing in my probation," He said he attempted to buy back his wife and children's love and trust by buying them lavish items. But, it wasn't because he was just spending money to spend it.

He told Groner that he wanted to continue to live his life. He wanted to go to bible study. He said he's a good guy, a good father and "for once in my life I'm a good husband," he told the court.

"I want to get out of this city so I can move on. I never thought I would go to jail in my life. I want to be free. I want to continue to be on probation. I want to continue to pay my restitution. I don't want my kids to be fatherless. I don't want my wife to be husbandless," Kilpatrick said.

"I know now that I need to follow the rules," Kilpatrick said. "I know more than ever. I want to go home your honor, now more than ever."

But none of those attempts to "move on" worked. Groner said that prison was the only way he felt Kilpatrick would learn his lesson.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23657675/detail.html?hpt=T2