Author Topic: Steve Wennerstrom Recognition Award at NPC Nationals  (Read 4510 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Steve Wennerstrom Recognition Award at NPC Nationals
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
Lisa Aukland, at the NPC Nationals, will be presenting Steve Wennerstrom with an Award of Recognition! This is a great honor, as Steve knows everything about Women's Bodybuilding.

Here is what Lisa wrote

"Steve Wennerstrom, IFBB women's historian, has touched the lives of countless women in this sport- bodybuilders, fitness, and figure competitors alike. He has recognized our accomplishments for over 30 years. Now I'd like to show him our appreciation. I am presenting him with an Award of Recognition at our top national show- NPC Nationals in Dallas.

I have gotten the okay from Jim Manion and I just spoke with Steve and he agreed to accept it. If you know Steve, you know it is never about him-it is all about the women. We are all very lucky to have this dedicated man on our side. Please join me in applauding Steve in Dallas."

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
Re: Steve Wennerstrom Recognition Award at NPC Nationals
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »
If this is Lisa's idea, I applaud her for taking the initiative.  I'd like to join you, Lisa,  in congratulating Steve and thank him for supporting women's bodybuilding.  I hope he continues to share his expertise and knowledge with all.  He is a positive force in this industry.  Cheers! :)  Lori

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »
Here's a pic of Steve with Deanna Panting, taken at the Europa (I think) by Gene X.
 :)

:)

LENSNART

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
Good to see. Steve actualy has been helping strong women in areas society has not been totally supportive of for much longer than 30 years.

In the early 1970's Track & Field News did not cover womens T & F. Never heard the offcial reason but guess it was something about them not taking these women seriously.

Then along came "Womens Track & Field World", in the early 1970s driven by Vince Reel. In the 1975 issues up turns Steve, handling editorial duties while  Vince was away. Not surprising those issues featured Kate (the great) Schmidt - WR Jav holder and only American women I can remember get a Jav Ol medal, and Jane Fredericks pentathalte.

Actually he used Kate twice.

Of note is a photo of future WR female PLer Jan Turbyne, long before women ever competed in PLing, plus lots of throwers showing muscle..

Was a man ahead of his time.

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »
Colette, As most everyone knows, I don't go on forums, chatrooms or message boards, but in this case I'll make an exception. And I promise to make it short. I gotta tell ya, I feel VERY uncomfortable about Lisa Aukland soliciting funds to purchase some kind of gift for me as recognition for my 30 years of covering women's bodybuilding. A simple thanks is more than enough as far as I'm concerned. The memories that I will take with me when I have covered my last contest and completed my last photo shoot are worth more than anything that can be bought with donations. I've been truly blessed when I think back to the amazing group of women I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know over the years. I even married one!!! I love every woman who has taken those brave steps to challenge their physicality, no matter whether it's in bodybuilding, fitness, figure, or any other sport for that matter. My wish has always been to help see that women (no matter what their age) at least get an opportunity to fly like an eagle and receive fair recognition for those efforts. After coaching women's track & field for 12 years, and now with nearly 30 years of watching the evolution of women's bodybuilding and its sometimes rollercoaster journey through the past three decades, I am more convinced than ever that the female spirit is unique. All I have ever wanted to do was illustrate to the best of my ability (through the written word and photographically) just how much passion, conviction, sincerity, and care these women possess. That's plenty enough as an award of recognition for me. In fact, it's been an honor. Earlier this year, promoters Brad and Elaine Craig presented me with a beautiful ring for 25 consecutive years of covering their Emerald Cup in Washington. It was a classy gesture of their appreciation, and not really necessary. But I was touched by the thought.....just as I am touched by the desire for Lisa Aukland to feel compelled to make my 30 years of covering women's bodybuilding something special. But as for the proposed donations, I can't stop them, obviously. Hugs all around would be fine. In fact, a couple bags of trail mix to get me through the next round of compulsories, quarter turns, and break-neck fitness routines would be fine. A final note, I first met Carla Dunlap (who would become the 1983 Ms. Olympia) in 1978 at the Synchronized Swimming Nationals in Los Angeles. I suggested she try women's bodybuilding as her physique had all the qualities I thought would make a great competitor in this new sport. Years later Carla pulled me aside at a contest we were co-emceeing and said, "I've always wanted to thank you for being instrumental in taking my life down a different road. I'll always be grateful for that." No donation needed. Two years ago Adela Garcia mentioned to me at the Arnold Classic as I sat at the athlete's meeting......"You know, everyone I talk to has a special story about you. You've really helped a lot of women." No donation needed. At the 1991 Ms. Olympia, Gregory Hines (bless his departed soul) told me I had a great job. I jokingly said, "Yeah, but I wish I had half your money." His reply? "Steve, I love what I do, and I KNOW you love what you do. We're both rich." No donation necessary. Lastly, when Lisa Aukland first told me of her idea (and donations were never mentioned at the time), she said, "you have a gift, and it's time you were recognized for it". No donations necessary. So you see, I'm rich. Gregory Hines told me so. Trail mix anyone?

- Steve Wennerstrom

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=12888