Author Topic: Measuring symmetrical strength?  (Read 2352 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Measuring symmetrical strength?
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
I've been working with one of my clients on improving his proportion and symmetry, as he's all upper body and absolutely no legs.  I tried explaining the traditional measurement of symmetry - upper arms, neck, and calves all the same measurement.  He asked me if there was a standard like that in terms of strength, particularly with powerlifting exercies (he recently started squatting and deadlifting), and I didn't have an answer. 

For example, if I'm 200 lbs and can bench press 350, how much should I be able to squat and deadlift to be "proportional" in my strength? (I'm not, and I can't, hence the "for example" qualifier)

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
Re: Measuring symmetrical strength?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »
Depends on the person, but decent general goals/ratios to start:

Squat 2x bodyweight
Bench 1.5 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.5x bodyweight.

Go from there.

Dave Baran

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »
I've been working with one of my clients on improving his proportion and symmetry, as he's all upper body and absolutely no legs.  I tried explaining the traditional measurement of symmetry - upper arms, neck, and calves all the same measurement.  He asked me if there was a standard like that in terms of strength, particularly with powerlifting exercies (he recently started squatting and deadlifting), and I didn't have an answer. 

For example, if I'm 200 lbs and can bench press 350, how much should I be able to squat and deadlift to be "proportional" in my strength? (I'm not, and I can't, hence the "for example" qualifier)

What about the other body parts?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:53:09 PM »
I do not have a factual answer but the "proportional' strength would depend on ones muscular bwt. A lighter weight PL'er, for example, will be pound for pound stronger with regards to ratio of strength, than men in the heavier weight classes. Just check out some power lifting meets and see that the lighter class men can pretty much lift double and more ,their own bwt in squats and Dl's. The heavy and super heavies  would have a hard time equaling that ratio. The gravity curve takes over when more weight is trying to be lifted. That's where a proportional gage would be hard to define for your client or anyone else. I am sure there are such strength gaging charts somewhere out there on the internet. May be time for a search. PJS gives some very good numbers to go by, as a general rule.

That neck, arm and calf measurement indication could be considered pretty out of date by some trainers. Based and started in  the late 1800's and early 1900's. When the average height was around 5'8. But it may work for some shorter men these days. Good Luck.
F

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

That neck, arm and calf measurement indication could be considered pretty out of date by some trainers. Based and started in  the late 1800's and early 1900's. When the average height was around 5'8. But it may work for some shorter men these days. Good Luck.

The only reason I like to use that measument guideline is to show upper-bodybuilders how disproportionate their calves are to their arms.  Trust me, i realize some people aren't as genetically gifted in the Calf department but I GUARANTEE if they spent half as much time working their legs as they did working their arms they would see a big difference in their overall physique.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:32:37 PM »
Mike: agree 100%, more time spent on the legs and less on endless sets of arm (and pec) exercises will be it's own reward. Those stubborn calves and quads most guy's bitch about may bloom almost over night when worked with serious intent. A extra reward is the the biceps/triceps should also gain with hard leg work. Good Luck.
F

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 05:21:38 AM »
Mike: agree 100%, more time spent on the legs and less on endless sets of arm (and pec) exercises will be it's own reward. Those stubborn calves and quads most guy's bitch about may bloom almost over night when worked with serious intent. A extra reward is the the biceps/triceps should also gain with hard leg work. Good Luck.

Pecs, Abs and Arms...I call it the Monday workout.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:52 AM »
What about the other body parts?

thigh = arm + [around] 8"

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
I do not have a factual answer but the "proportional' strength would depend on ones muscular bwt. A lighter weight PL'er, for example, will be pound for pound stronger with regards to ratio of strength, than men in the heavier weight classes. Just check out some power lifting meets and see that the lighter class men can pretty much lift double and more ,their own bwt in squats and Dl's. The heavy and super heavies  would have a hard time equaling that ratio. The gravity curve takes over when more weight is trying to be lifted. That's where a proportional gage would be hard to define for your client or anyone else. I am sure there are such strength gaging charts somewhere out there on the internet. May be time for a search. PJS gives some very good numbers to go by, as a general rule.

when are you going to just face the music and let ron make you a mod??

great post