Author Topic: I really dont' understand this:  (Read 2740 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
I really dont' understand this:
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:08:23 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20390280/

Dozens of sickly cats found in women’s home
Elderly mother, adult daughter in custody; authorities euthanize 76 felines

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Authorities euthanized dozens of sickly cats found in a cockroach-infested apartment shared by an elderly woman and her adult daughter, officials said.

Police found 76 unhealthy cats and four dead ones in the women’s apartment when they arrived to mediate a dispute with a downstairs neighbor, Officer Jackie Bezart said Tuesday. She said the two women were being held for psychiatric evaluation.

Neighbor Mary Cuevas told KCAL-TV that cockroaches had swarmed from the women’s apartment into her own unit.

“I was at my wits end about this, so I yelled out my window that they were filthy pigs,” she said. “And so they called the police and said I was harassing them.”

Lt. Michelle Quigley of the city’s animal control department, which was called to remove the cats, said responding officers found “bags and bags of just trash and defecation, urine, insects, floor-to-ceiling.”

All but two of the cats had to be euthanized.

I have had some strange clients, one with over 1000 snakes and lizards in his basement (he was a professional breeder who made very good money selling reptiles of various species) and a guy with 300+ breeding pairs of tarantulas, spiders, and scorpions in his basement and garage (again a breeder) and I've had up to 30 aquariums in my house at a give time, but I've never encountered a client with this many cats.  The most I've seen was 48 and that house was a mess because of the cats.   I can't imagine over 70.    Why do people do this?

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: I really dont' understand this:
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
I cant see why they had to put so many of them down

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:43:12 AM »
I think it just starts out as being just kind hearted and having a soft spot and then quickly escalates into full blow hoarding

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »
76 :o

Maybe after their psych eval they can strike a plea deal and apologize for their immature behavior, that is, if they can afford a high dollar attorney...

you'll probably hear nothing about this case in a few weeks, however, we'll have to hear about Vick for years...
i

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
I think it just starts out as being just kind hearted and having a soft spot and then quickly escalates

I can see how it happens quickly.  I'm quickly becoming one of those  :P  Never had an issue with the welfare kitties since up until recently there was only one female and she didn't seem to reproduce much.  Up until now, the most that ever hung around was 4, sometimes 5.  Now I've got a mommy with 4 kittens (2 calicos) that I need to deal with.  They're soooo damn cute tho  ;)
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:25:20 PM »
I like this one:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »

Probably FELV, FIV or FIP.  The one client we had in Ohio with nearly 50 had major, major problems with FeLV and FIP.  FIP would rip through the cat population and 10-15 of them would die or have to be euthanized and then we'd get her to test and occiasionally euthanize some of the FeLV positive cats that were sick.  The biggest problem was she let many of those cats roam, so they interacted with the "wild" cats in the neighborhood spreading their diseases.   it wasn't good at all.  And she always smelled of cat poop. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
Vet check your PM's and please give me a call. It's about Chaos.....

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
Vet check your PM's and please give me a call. It's about Chaos.....

Let me know what happened with him.....   

Alex23

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 06:02:30 PM »
I like this one:

Hahaha ok "Catwoman"

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
76 :o

Maybe after their psych eval they can strike a plea deal and apologize for their immature behavior, that is, if they can afford a high dollar attorney...

you'll probably hear nothing about this case in a few weeks, however, we'll have to hear about Vick for years...

they probably didn't mean any harm to the cats, like geo said, they probably started out with good intentions then got overwhelmed and the cats suffered because they couldn't take care of all of them.

They will usually do it all over again if they get the chance.  There have been a few cases concerning ferrets where rescues had to be done to get the ferrets out and 3 years later they are doing another one. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »

I can see how it happens quickly.  I'm quickly becoming one of those  :P  Never had an issue with the welfare kitties since up until recently there was only one female and she didn't seem to reproduce much.  Up until now, the most that ever hung around was 4, sometimes 5.  Now I've got a mommy with 4 kittens (2 calicos) that I need to deal with.  They're soooo damn cute tho  ;)

You think you could get them, alter them, and then release them again? 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »
You think you could get them, alter them, and then release them again? 

That's the plan.  Sort of..

Whoever ends up in the trap gets altered.  The kittens will stay at the humane society for adoption.  If I catch the Hissy Bitch, she will be euthanized. The boys will come back.
:

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 12:42:26 AM »

When cats are hoarded... they are often feral and unadoptable. They can't be released on the street. They can't be tamed. Hoarders seldom spay or neuter which of course is why they end up with so many.

This case was all over all the news channels in Los Angeles. 
and keep moving!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »
When cats are hoarded... they are often feral and unadoptable. They can't be released on the street. They can't be tamed. Hoarders seldom spay or neuter which of course is why they end up with so many.

This case was all over all the news channels in Los Angeles. 

My cat was sort of feral when I got her.  Although she started out in the home....the person who had her first threw her outside as an outdoor cat.  Most of the time, when cats are indoor/outdoor cats...they adjust well.  She developed a very 'free spirited' personality like a feral cat.  She's 10 now (had her for 8-9 yrs myself) & she still doesn't act like most cats.  She seems more angry than sweet sometimes.  Of course (like most cats...it's always on her terms) but I never can get her to be friendly with any other cat, dog, or animal.  The other thing thats weird with her...is she's scared of every damn thing in the world.  She's very sensitive & cowers/hides very easily.  Which also concludes IMO she was abused quite hard as a kitten & why she ended up outdoors.

There's been times where I've felt that I "had enough" of her....but know she's unadoptable if I bring her in somewhere.  After 8-9 years...it gets to you....but she's also grown on me.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »

I like her.   :)