Author Topic: Sleeping in low-oxygen environment - good for athletic performance?  (Read 3721 times)

Alex23

Re: Sleeping in low-oxygen environment - good for athletic performance?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:58 AM »
I have tried those mask things for sleep apnea..They are big as hell and uncomfortable...Some people swear by them. Im not sure if its hype...plus its not the sexiest look.

the mask you're talking about plugged to an oxygen tank?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »
the mask you're talking about plugged to an oxygen tank?

not sure, It went to some machine that pumped air. It was supposed to keep you airways open so you get more air at night, maybe it oxygenated the air, but I dont remember an O2 tank. Its for sleep apnea...

I did a sleep study once...had to sleep over at NYU hospital with all these wires attached to me. I never went back for the results, not sure why.. I dont think I could sleep with one of those machines even if I did have some form of sleep apnea.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
  I base true athletic performance on the common day. In otherwords......can you perform this well on any occasion without the need of say a bench shirt or lifting straps and, wraps. When will one ever be in a low oxygen enviroment during an athletic performance? Mt everest? Not many have made it.
    True athleticism is being abile to perform a givin physical task in a real enviroment that is common to the real world. Is it not? It should be.

True athleticism is having the know-how and forseight to makes one's body as efficient as possible.  Would weight training to get stronger be any different than low-oxygen for endurance?

Alex23

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 11:59:11 AM »

not sure, It went to some machine that pumped air. It was supposed to keep you airways open so you get more air at night, maybe it oxygenated the air, but I dont remember an O2 tank. Its for sleep apnea...

I did a sleep study once...had to sleep over at NYU hospital with all these wires attached to me. I never went back for the results, not sure why.. I dont think I could sleep with one of those machines even if I did have some form of sleep apnea.

What made you think you had sleep apnea in the first place?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
training at high altitude ie low oxygen causes the red blood cells to increase to provide more oxygen to the body, so when you return to normal altitude you have more oxygen in your blood.

mma fighters and boxers often take their training camps up to big bear to prepare for fight.

taking the drug, epo, is much more effective apparently, but much more dangerous too, as any tour de france cyclist will tell you.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
What made you think you had sleep apnea in the first place?

I wasnt sleeping well, lots of tossing and turning, feeling tired when I awoke.. not myself..I have a partially devieated septum..I was heavier then too probably 10- 15 lbs..bulking...Im better now and ambien is great.

Lots of lifters have it and dont know it.

Alex23

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 03:20:49 AM »

I wasnt sleeping well, lots of tossing and turning, feeling tired when I awoke.. not myself..I have a partially devieated septum..I was heavier then too probably 10- 15 lbs..bulking...Im better now and ambien is great.

Lots of lifters have it and dont know it.

Indeed. I have a theory why... "valsalva maneuvre" like breathing all day long while lifting heavy.. must have some effect on the Thoracic diaphragm muscle reflex of some sort...

Mons Venus

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 04:17:29 AM »
read my post carefully.  I corrected you about training at high altitude.  It is good for endurance, but training low and sleeping high is even better.

The bit about endurance was a clarification directed towards the OP who presumably is interested in this for the sake of hypertrophy.  Now I can see why you would read my post the way you did, but it was not how it was intended.

Correct, sleep at altitude, train at low altitude for better athletic performance.