Author Topic: What kind of dog should I get????  (Read 18976 times)

temper35

• Getbig III
Re: What kind of dog should I get????
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2007, 01:03:44 PM »
maybe...maybe not

I'm not sure it's proven...but I have seen first hand some traits that are obviously passed on.

I never saw my dog's father until almost after a year we had him.  If I did not know any better....I could have mistaken it was the same goofy dog.  There's things he does that not every dog does & was amazed to see his father do the same.

I've seen this with some dogs that are just big lickers.  Their parents were lickers.  They weren't around their parents growing up so how did this trait get passed on?

Maybe it's so....maybe it's coincidence.

Considering the fact that dogs used in the pit who give birth to litters don't come out aggressive, unless they have a mental abnormality, no little Yorkie is genetically programmed to attack people.  Bad parenting.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2007, 01:36:34 PM »
It holds so much water that my opinion is fucking overflowing.  Breeds that may or may not be prone to emotional disorders, should not continue the characteristics of said disorder throughout their lifetime due to the actions of a responsible owner who will rectify the problem. period.  Separation anxiety is a result of bad training and babying your dog.

Being protective is a trait of Rottweiler's it doesn't mean you can have visitors.  Herding is a trait of Bouviers it doesn't mean they can't be stopped from herding your children.  We all know what pitbulls were used for, does that mean they are all vicious canine killers?

If any dog, any breed, any age, any sex, 100% OBEYS you, you can stop any unwanted behavior you want.  A dog beckoning to you because you are leaving is a sign of a dog who "holds water" in the pack hierarchy. 

Also, if a dog is properly exercised, which in a beagles case is a TON.  These behaviors would be non existent.  The supposed howling and destructive behavior that is.

Don't like my opinion?  It is true, sorry.  You won't convince me that a beagle who has separation anxiety is because it is a beagle.  Asinine.

Every time I hear someone attribute a dogs bad behavior to the breed I want to smash them in the head with a ball-peen hammer.  Ignorance, flat out ignorance.

Temper temper cupcake.

You seem to be under the delusion that certain breeds dont have certain traits, some good some bad- wrong!

Separation anxiety doest depend on training to the degree that you believe it does. With my dog, I started him in a cage at 7 weeks and thats where he slept until he was a year old. We also didn't leave him at first for more than an hour at a time and gradually made our trips longer. We made sure he was properly socialized with other dogs at the park and in the neighborhood. He walks anywhere from 1-3 miles nightly as well as an off the leash scramble with his park buddys. During hunting season he  runs a few extra miles on the weekends. From time to time he may have an issue but not often.

If I read you correctly then a rotties protective trait is a result of bad breeding as is a Bouvier De Flanders desire to herd. All breeds have traits some instilled in the breed purposefully others by mistake. I don't think you can separate them at all. Obviously you try and minimize the bad ones but that doesn't mean they are the mistake of the owner/handler.

If any dog, any breed, any age, any sex, 100% OBEYS you, you can stop any unwanted behavior you want.  A dog beckoning to you because you are leaving is a sign of a dog who "holds water" in the pack hierarchy.
OK Cesar Milan, lets get real I don't know anyone who's dog obeys them 100%. Lets just be realistic.

Also, if a dog is properly exercised, which in a beagles case is a TON.  These behaviors would be non existent.  The supposed howling and destructive behavior that is.
Beagles require medium exercise to keep them lean and content.  Some that Ive owned barked more than the beagle/basset mix I have now. Some times he barks when he comes home from a day in the field some times not. I agree a dog needs proper exercise so the aren't full of energy and rippin around the house. But exercise alone wont stop separation problems.

Speaking for asinine.Don't like my opinion?  It is true, sorry.  You won't convince me that a beagle who has separation anxiety is because it is a beagle.
Actually I don't really care about your opinion since its no more valid than mine. Saying a breed cant be prone to disorders be it mental or physical is metally retarded. I guess German Shepard's aren't prone to hip problems, and Dalmations aren't prone to blindness either and  Jack Russels aren't more likely to be hyper. Does that mean each Shepard will have hip issues, or your Dalmation will go blind, or the Jack Russel you buy will be hyper, no not really but they be more prone to that issue and you should be aware it could be a problem before you buy the breed.

Every time I hear someone attribute a dogs bad behavior to the breed I want to smash them in the head with a ball-peen hammer.  Ignorance, flat out ignorance.
Ignorance would be to deny that some breeds are more prone to issues than others. You seemed to miss the point totally. At no time did I say all hounds have separation issues, but I did say they tend to be more susceptible to it, thats all.
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
Temper temper cupcake.

You seem to be under the delusion that certain breeds dont have certain traits, some good some bad- wrong!

Separation anxiety doest depend on training to the degree that you believe it does. With my dog, I started him in a cage at 7 weeks and thats where he slept until he was a year old. We also didn't leave him at first for more than an hour at a time and gradually made our trips longer. We made sure he was properly socialized with other dogs at the park and in the neighborhood. He walks anywhere from 1-3 miles nightly as well as an off the leash scramble with his park buddys. During hunting season he  runs a few extra miles on the weekends. From time to time he may have an issue but not often.

If I read you correctly then a rotties protective trait is a result of bad breeding as is a Bouvier De Flanders desire to herd. All breeds have traits some instilled in the breed purposefully others by mistake. I don't think you can separate them at all. Obviously you try and minimize the bad ones but that doesn't mean they are the mistake of the owner/handler.

If any dog, any breed, any age, any sex, 100% OBEYS you, you can stop any unwanted behavior you want.  A dog beckoning to you because you are leaving is a sign of a dog who "holds water" in the pack hierarchy.
OK Cesar Milan, lets get real I don't know anyone who's dog obeys them 100%. Lets just be realistic.

Also, if a dog is properly exercised, which in a beagles case is a TON.  These behaviors would be non existent.  The supposed howling and destructive behavior that is.
Beagles require medium exercise to keep them lean and content.  Some that Ive owned barked more than the beagle/basset mix I have now. Some times he barks when he comes home from a day in the field some times not. I agree a dog needs proper exercise so the aren't full of energy and rippin around the house. But exercise alone wont stop separation problems.

Speaking for asinine.Don't like my opinion?  It is true, sorry.  You won't convince me that a beagle who has separation anxiety is because it is a beagle.
Actually I don't really care about your opinion since its no more valid than mine. Saying a breed cant be prone to disorders be it mental or physical is metally retarded. I guess German Shepard's aren't prone to hip problems, and Dalmations aren't prone to blindness either and  Jack Russels aren't more likely to be hyper. Does that mean each Shepard will have hip issues, or your Dalmation will go blind, or the Jack Russel you buy will be hyper, no not really but they be more prone to that issue and you should be aware it could be a problem before you buy the breed.

Every time I hear someone attribute a dogs bad behavior to the breed I want to smash them in the head with a ball-peen hammer.  Ignorance, flat out ignorance.
Ignorance would be to deny that some breeds are more prone to issues than others. You seemed to miss the point totally. At no time did I say all hounds have separation issues, but I did say they tend to be more susceptible to it, thats all.

As far as the Cesar comment goes, that is funny.  People have been doing what he's doing for years and years before he got a TV show or came to America.  Cesar thankfully has simplified and dumb-downed the approach so people can understand, and people still don't get it.  He didn't invent dog psychology.

For the rest of your post...

Yawn

Let's just hope Mindspin gets a calm submissive dog that is great around his children and up for some hike's.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2007, 09:12:24 PM »
As far as the Cesar comment goes, that is funny.  People have been doing what he's doing for years and years before he got a TV show or came to America.  Cesar thankfully has simplified and dumb-downed the approach so people can understand, and people still don't get it.  He didn't invent dog psychology.

For the rest of your post...

Yawn

Let's just hope Mindspin gets a calm submissive dog that is great around his children and up for some hike's.

Well,after readin his book, I think hes a bit of an asspipe and a bit heavy handed but he does seem to get results.
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2007, 09:29:49 PM »
Well,after readin his book, I think hes a bit of an asspipe and a bit heavy handed but he does seem to get results.

People just think he is too physical.  When I met him he seemed very genuine and was a cool guy.  Like him or not, people should practice what he preaches.  But people are lazy, and won't.  I kind of hope he becomes as big of a part of American culture as Jack Hannah or Steve Irwin so people might listen to what he says.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »

Have you considered an English Bulldog?  They are relatively easy to maintain, don't shed much, and are amongst the most inactive dogs one could possibly have.  It is pretty much the ideal family pet.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2007, 06:24:13 AM »

Have you considered an English Bulldog?  They are relatively easy to maintain, don't shed much, and are amongst the most inactive dogs one could possibly have.  It is pretty much the ideal family pet.
Great dogs! my only complaint is they dont do well outside on hot days. My wife and I have some friends that have a pair of Bullys and we hardly see them at the park from June until October. I think thats a little extream but none the less
X

body88

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2007, 10:16:59 PM »
Yea I think mindsopin may be a bit active for one of those. No runs for those guys! Great dogs though!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2007, 10:45:50 AM »
Hello pet lovers.  What breed do you think best meets this criteria:

*Good with kids
*Smart
*Medium size
*Minimal shedding/barking

What other attributes whould I be considering?
A boxer.

body88

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
Boxer would be a nice choice. If size was not a factor I also think an American bulldog of the (scott type) would be great. Johnson type are giant. You can find smaller Scott females between 60 - 70 lbs. Still might be kind of large tho.

Mindspin you look into the minature bull terrior at all? I think that could a great choice.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2007, 03:09:39 PM »
Boxer would be a nice choice. If size was not a factor I also think an American bulldog of the (scott type) would be great. Johnson type are giant. You can find smaller Scott females between 60 - 70 lbs. Still might be kind of large tho.

Mindspin you look into the minature bull terrior at all? I think that could a great choice.

I have.  So far it's at the top of my list.  We're thinking of getting a dog for x-mas.  My 4yr old daughter LOVES dogs.  Seeing a puppy on x-mas morning will be the highlight of her little life :)

w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
I have.  So far it's at the top of my list.  We're thinking of getting a dog for x-mas.  My 4yr old daughter LOVES dogs.  Seeing a puppy on x-mas morning will be the highlight of her little life :)

That is awesome.. I can't wait till we have our Baby.. It's gonna grow up around Pits.. SO my child will be a defender of the breed just like it's father... ;D ;D ;D

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
That is awesome.. I can't wait till we have our Baby.. It's gonna grow up around Pits.. SO my child will be a defender of the breed just like it's father... ;D ;D ;D

nice...they are incredible with kids...hopefully one day in the future this great breed will get its rep back as the number one family dog in america.

soflagirl

• Getbig I
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
A Weimaraner, they love kids, don't shed very much, they can be hard headed you would need to established that you are the boss from the start. 
They love being with their family, and are very protective of their owners.
Sounds like you have a lot of room for a dog to run and play, hiking would be great exercise for this breed. You may have heard that they are hyper, but that is only if they don't get the attention and exercise that they need. They are super sweet, intelligent, and beautiful dogs.
I can't stress this enough they are people dogs, if you don't want a dog who is going to be with you 24-7 this is not the dog for you.
If you see a six week old Wemi puppy with their big blue eyes and soft floppy hears, you will be going home with one. They may not be for everyone, but I sure love my Wemi girl!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 03:54:42 PM »
A Weimaraner, they love kids, don't shed very much, they can be hard headed you would need to established that you are the boss from the start. 
Sounds like you have a lot of room for a dog to run and play, hiking would be great exercise for this breed. You may have heard that they are hyper, but that is only if they don't get the attention and exercise that they need. They are super sweet, intelligent, and beautiful dogs.
I can't stress this enough they are people dogs, if you don't want a dog who is going to be with you 24-7 this is not the dog for you.
If you see a six week old Wemi puppy with their big blue eyes and soft floppy hears, you will be going home with one. They may not be for everyone, but I sure love my Wemi girl!

Actually.....

that may be a smart choice for mindspin

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »

Wow!  What a beautiful dog.  Thanks.

What about Airedales?

w

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2007, 05:20:58 PM »
Airedales prolly have the grooming issues. 

Weimaraner's would definitely be able to hang from the exercise standpoint.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2007, 06:42:36 PM »
Wow!  What a beautiful dog.  Thanks.

What about Airedales?

you'd be better off with the weimaraner

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
you'd be better off with the weimaraner

I can never say:
 "weimaraner"

:(
:

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »
I still stand by the English Bulldog, so long as you don't live in a real hot climate.  And you know, you DO begin to look like your dog after a while.

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2007, 04:01:32 AM »
Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback:

You'll thank me for this advice if you're ever attacked by hungry lions!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2007, 09:48:45 AM »

I can never say:
 "weimaraner"

:(

just call them a whiney

;)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »
What about Boxers?
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »
Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback:

You'll thank me for this advice if you're ever attacked by hungry lions!

Just rerad their profile...cool dogs.
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
What about Boxers?

I have a friend with a boxer & also has kids

Not sure about the breed standard...but his is awesome with kids.  Great family dog.  Short hair.