Author Topic: Old School  (Read 9587 times)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Old School
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »
Guy bottom right is Jacques Neuville....he is the Frenchman who kicked American Tim Belknap's ass at the World Championships held in Cairo Egypt. Makkawy, who guest posed at that contest, told me Belknap was just an arrogant ass with all his hype in weider mags, and Mohammed was so happy when a SHREDDED Neuville wiped him out.

yeah belknap was an arrogant ass from what i heard too.for example he was an ass to vic richard before richards became "famous" but tried to suck up to him when he got some notoriety.

yeah 1981 in cairo when lance dreher beat the freak gunnar rosbo (in the heavies)

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »
Yup....Rosbo was riding all the hype in the mags and had spent summer in LA...but had pinched nerve in neck training for worlds and showed up with one arm 22" and one arm barely 20".....Dreher (who had monster arms himself) kicked him

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
Yup....Rosbo was riding all the hype in the mags and had spent summer in LA...but had pinched nerve in neck training for worlds and showed up with one arm 22" and one arm barely 20".....Dreher (who had monster arms himself) kicked him

yeah rosbo had problems with the pinched nerve that fucked him up....he was also an alcoholic..guy had alot of potential (more than dreher) but could never maximize it.

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »
I was in LA that summer...Rosbo, in fact all European BB's, smoked like friggin chimney and drank up a storm...he had quite a following and i beleived thought the worlds was a mere formality...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »
I was in LA that summer...Rosbo, in fact all European BB's, smoked like friggin chimney and drank up a storm...he had quite a following and i beleived thought the worlds was a mere formality...

cool ;) do you have any more stories? would be interested to hear about the workout the guys did back then. did you see rosbo workout?

i heard he was a strong SOB! that liked to take frequent 5min breaks in his workouts to go and smoke.

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
Yup...Berrey Demey smoked like crazy too...told me it killed his appetite and helped him diet.... trained lots of free weights as the machine selection was not what it is today....everybody did same basic movements...some guys just genetically gifted.....Europeans never seemed to let contest dieting stand in the way of a Party though!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »
Yup...Berrey Demey smoked like crazy too...told me it killed his appetite and helped him diet.... trained lots of free weights as the machine selection was not what it is today....everybody did same basic movements...some guys just genetically gifted.....Europeans never seemed to let contest dieting stand in the way of a Party though!

;D.  i heard viator liked quaaludes? did you see rosbo workout? what poundages was he handling?

in your opinion do you think the guys back then overdid the volume when working out?

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 05:12:24 PM »
Only saw Rosbo when out restaurants etc ..he trained at different time...guys at Golds said he was a tank..curled 225 like a piston....guy had forearms and hands size of tree. Everybody did tons of sets back then.....in the words of the Barbarians" no such thing as overtraining...just undereating and undersleeping"...gotta remember to no GH, no IGF-1,no slin back then

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
Only saw Rosbo when out restaurants etc ..he trained at different time...guys at Golds said he was a tank..curled 225 like a piston....guy had forearms and hands size of tree. Everybody did tons of sets back then.....in the words of the Barbarians" no such thing as overtraining...just undereating and undersleeping"...gotta remember to no GH, no IGF-1,no slin back then

do you think the guys would have been bigger if they cut back on volume abit?
bob chick is of that opinion...

well insulin was used by belknap..as he was a diabetic (probably helped in making him so freaky for those times.) but your right insulin wasnt used by those that werent diabetic.

and crude versions of gh did exist. dickerson played around with it, i have been told.

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
No..beleive the size differential in eras is of course nutritionally and chemically determined....not everyone trained crazy volumes like Serge Nubret...do beleive the Europeans had way better chemical access than American counterparts at the time and much more exotic selection...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
Belknap in 82

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
First guy to realize the powers of insulin.....was diabetic

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »
No..beleive the size differential in eras is of course nutritionally and chemically determined....not everyone trained crazy volumes like Serge Nubret...do beleive the Europeans had way better chemical access than American counterparts at the time and much more exotic selection...

i cant agree with the second part, its not true. they had acess to pretty much the same stuff (drugwise). "the europeans" where never a coherent group either...

many americans seem to think europe is like america..but the countries are not equivalent to american states.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »
Even though I'm not a fan of Belknap, he's got some crazy huge forearms in that last shot  :o

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2007, 05:27:05 PM »
Even though I'm not a fan of Belknap, he's got some crazy huge forearms in that last shot  :o

rosbo had even bigger  ;D

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2007, 05:33:36 PM »
Was a very cool time in amateur bb'ing, cause the worlds werent tested and everyone went. You did the nationals to win your class so you could go to the worlds to turn pro. Testing killed the IFBB worlds( Mr Universe) for Americans

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
rosbo had even bigger  ;D

Speak of the devil

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
Imagine if these guys had access to what s available today...LOL

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
Imagine if these guys had access to what s available today...LOL

Then they would look like the guys today.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2007, 06:32:38 PM »
Any of you guys got any info or stories about Don Howorth?? 

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »
Sorry Rowdy...before my time....other than had crazy wide delts  i know little about him

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
Sorry Rowdy...before my time....other than had crazy wide delts  i know little about him

Thanks anyways  :) 

Yeah Don had amazing structure and monster delts, but there isn't much info around about him.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »
Thanks anyways  :) 

Yeah Don had amazing structure and monster delts, but there isn't much info around about him.

he worked with vince gironda that i know and yeah he was famous for his amazing structure and delts!