Author Topic: The description of a dinosaur in the Bible  (Read 19768 times)

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
Re: The description of a dinosaur in the Bible
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2007, 04:18:30 AM »
let's not forget Noah's Ark must have been high-tech. You need air conditioning to keep the animals cool, a fridge to store perishable food, aquariums to keep all the freshwater fish (die in salt water), and electricity powered lights to see at night since the number of candles/ torches required to light up a boat that size at night would pose a serious fire threat. Apparently, Noah invented the technology for all of this about 2,000 yrs ago.

Food - they could have got by without fridges if they brought extra animals on board and slaughtered them on an "as-needed" basis.
Fish - thousands of seperate tanks. (keeping clean & filtering would have been a constant chore)
Lights - glow worms

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2007, 06:08:43 AM »
That's the problem with the Bible... apart from the 10 commandments it's always super vague...

Always is too big of a generalization STark!

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 06:13:55 AM »
Oh, you were? I never know with you.

So, tell me, how then did the polar bears make it onto Noah's arc?

Looks like God caused them to come to the ark.

Gen 7:8,9:  Pairs of clean and unclean animals, of birds and of all creatures that move along the ground,  male and female, came to Noah and entered the ark, as God had commanded Noah

Gen 6:20:  Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2007, 06:20:28 AM »
let's not forget Noah's Ark must have been high-tech. You need air conditioning to keep the animals cool, a fridge to store perishable food, aquariums to keep all the freshwater fish (die in salt water), and electricity powered lights to see at night since the number of candles/ torches required to light up a boat that size at night would pose a serious fire threat. Apparently, Noah invented the technology for all of this about 2,000 yrs ago.
Why do they need a/c?  People and animals live w/o a/c now.  Same as electricity.  More often than not lanterns and candles etc. can be pretty safe and do not always end in an uncontrolled fire. 

I do find the freshwater fish question interesting though.  Although Noah wasn't told to take them.  From Gen 7:11 we see that "on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth (likely fresh water), and the floodgates of the heavens were opened (fresh water).  So perhaps the fresh water diluted the ocean's salt water enough for freshwater creatures to survive?  There was enough fresh water to cover the highest mountain on earth.   I'd be interested to hear more about this if anyone has more input.

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2007, 06:24:41 AM »
Have you seen the boat yourself? You describe it so vividly.

He's describing it from

Gen 14-16:

14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »
Yes, and we all know that all the measurements and figures in the Bible are 100% accurate...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 06:35:33 AM »
As soon as I find out how to post these pictures

To post a pic:

Hit "reply" as if you are going to post.

Under the box where you type your posts you'll see the words "Additional Options."

Click on those words.

Then you'll see the word "Attach" followed by a blank box, then a Button that says "Browse."

Hit the Browse button and find your pic.  Double click it and it's name should appear in the box between the words "Attach" and "Browse."

Then hit post.

Also, you normally need to put something in the text box for it to work.  You may just type a period or insert your choice of smiley if you don't want to type any text.

In addition sometimes your pic will not post because it exceeds the accepted size.  It's possible you'll need to resize some pics.

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 06:41:11 AM »
Or, if you have a link to the pic, you can post it by putting the link between [img] [/img ] (without that last space)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 06:44:53 AM »
and what about adam & eve........ what do they know about noah?

They lived long before him.

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2007, 06:47:01 AM »
Answer me this then. How did Noah stop the carnivorous dinosaurs on board from eating other animals?

Did Noah bring fish, crustaceans, worms, and bacteria on board too? What about plants?

Gen 6:21:
You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."

I don't think he brought fish, crustys, worms, bacteria nor plants. 
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »
Did Noah bring viruses and bacteria on the ark too, to save them from the flood? Fish? Crab and crustaceans?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »
Did Noah bring viruses and bacteria on the ark too, to save them from the flood? Fish? Crab and crustaceans?

Looks like no:

GEn 7:8:   Pairs of clean and unclean animals, of birds and of all creatures that move along the ground...

Although maybe he did bring worms...as they move along the (top of the) ground sometimes :)

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »
Or, if you have a link to the pic, you can post it by putting the link between [img] [/img ] (without that last space)
Yes this works too!
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »
Damn that sucks... those poor fishies, left to fend for themselves in that awful flood...

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »
They lived long before him.

knew that........... i want to know if he believe the story about the couple, hope not!!!
are you delusional?

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Why do they need a/c?  People and animals live w/o a/c now.

ever been stuck in a room or vehicle with a lot of people? It gets very hot. Now imagine 2 of every animal on earth huddled up together on a boat with no air conditioning for weeks. Those poor penguins and polar bears. :(

Same as electricity.  More often than not lanterns and candles etc. can be pretty safe and do not always end in an uncontrolled fire.

torches and candles would be impractical for several reasons. First, you would need hundreds or possibly thousands of them to light up a boat the size of Noah's Ark. Second, the boat was made of wood. That many open flames (lanterns weren't around 4,000 yrs ago) would pose a serious fire threat. Third, re-lighting or replacing all those torches/ candles for 40 straight nights would be quite a task.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »
The whole idea of putting 2 of every animal on a boat is absurd.   How many species of animals were around then? 

And did Noah have 1 Negro child, 1 Mongoloid child and 1 Caucasion child? 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
knew that........... i want to know if he believe the story about the couple, hope not!!!
I don't think I understand what your question is?

Damn that sucks... those poor fishies, left to fend for themselves in that awful flood...

No need to feel sorry for them...their habitat was even bigger than usual :)
ever been stuck in a room or vehicle with a lot of people? It gets very hot. Now imagine 2 of every animal on earth huddled up together on a boat with no air conditioning for weeks. Those poor penguins and polar bears. :(

According to Gen 6:16:  "Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of tthe top."  So the way I read it is most of the way around the top of the ark was a gap for ventilation.

In addition, the animals could have been babies/juvenile.

torches and candles would be impractical for several reasons. First, you would need hundreds or possibly thousands of them to light up a boat the size of Noah's Ark. Second, the boat was made of wood. That many open flames (lanterns weren't around 4,000 yrs ago) would pose a serious fire threat. Third, re-lighting or replacing all those torches/ candles for 40 straight nights would be quite a task.

But why would you need to light up the whole boat? 

Houses are made of wood and many have had candles lit in them w/no adverse effects.

Why do you think lanterns weren't around 4000 years ago?

The whole idea of putting 2 of every animal on a boat is absurd.   How many species of animals were around then? 

I don't know.   According to the footnotes in my Ryrie study bible "Today it is estimated that there are 17,600 species of animals, [which would make] 45,000 a likely approximation of the number Noah might have taken into the ark."

And did Noah have 1 Negro child, 1 Mongoloid child and 1 Caucasion child? 
???

R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
No need to feel sorry for them...their habitat was even bigger than usual :)According to Gen 6:16:  "Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of tthe top."  So the way I read it is most of the way around the top of the ark was a gap for ventilation.

In addition, the animals could have been babies/juvenile.

But why would you need to light up the whole boat? 

Houses are made of wood and many have had candles lit in them w/no adverse effects.

Why do you think lanterns weren't around 4000 years ago?

I don't know.   According to the footnotes in my Ryrie study bible "Today it is estimated that there are 17,600 species of animals, [which would make] 45,000 a likely approximation of the number Noah might have taken into the ark.
 ???

I might be completely in correct, but aren't there more than 17K species of insects on Madagascar alone?

And i ask about  1 Negro child, 1 Mongoloid child and 1 Caucasion child because shouldn't we have all descended from noah?

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »

insects alone..... couldn't be done, so many of them, and they ruled the earth before everything... so how did he pull that one of?

and did he saved caveman too... and dinosaurs inhabited Earth (about 250 million years ago to about 65 million years ago) creationists say that the earth is not older than 6000 years old....

with all the different human race, how did it happen...

bottom line...... didn't happen, no Noah or boat, flood, you name it.... it's just a nice little story

oh and Stella question was did he believe in Adam & Eve too
are you delusional?

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »

Noah's story is a great one, very similar thought to the one of Gilgamesh. :-\

the major parts of the bible was taken from Egyptian religions thousands of years before hand.
 Similar characters to Noah, Moses and Jesus were all described before the bible was even thought off.

-HORUS
  -ATTUS
  -KRISHNA
  -MITHRA
  -DIONYSUS

all have the same story as Jesus, but was written thousands of years before the bible...

-MANOU
  -MINOS
  -MISES

all have the same story as Moses, but was written thousands of years before the bible...

the bible is just another story to explain what cant be logically understood.
nothing can be proven. there is no mention of Jesus in any other texts aside from the bible.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2007, 03:57:36 PM »
I might be completely in correct, but aren't there more than 17K species of insects on Madagascar alone?

And i ask about  1 Negro child, 1 Mongoloid child and 1 Caucasion child because shouldn't we have all descended from noah?
[/quote I see I can come back and answere your reasonable questions (Beast m, and CD82 were starting to get childish yesterday, so i logged off.). 17k species or more works if you count all the variations within the kind, for example there is hundreds of variations of dogs. What you fail to understand is that the Bible is perfectly clear by stating "of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind. This simply means 2 dogs, not hundreds of different dogs such as a bit bull, bull dog, German Sheppard, etc...
After their kind means that your numbers just got shorter significantly, possibly to only a few hundred. Two dogs, 2 horses 2 elephants, 2 cats, not that many animals if you do not include the variations.
To your question about different races. This is very simple to answere. I know a guy that is 5 foot five and his wife is 5 foot three, their son six two. You know this happens all the time after only one generation, so 20-to 30 generations well you do the math. We are all still human here not like were growing a third arm or a tail.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »
Stella, I have seen the number of species put way higher than that in biology textbooks. I don't mean to be the annoying nit-picky fact-checker on here, but, well... :)

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »

what?

Noah sends a dove out to see if there was any dry land. But the dove returns without finding any. Then, just seven days later, the dove goes out again and returns with an olive leaf. But how could an olive tree survive the flood? And if any seeds happened to survive, they certainly wouldn't germinate and grow leaves within a seven day period. 8:8-11

When Noah was 500 years old, he had three sons.
5:32

God decides to kill Moses because his son had not yet been circumcised. Luckily for Moses, his Egyptian wife Zipporah "took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he [God] let him go." This story shows the importance of penises to God, and his hatred of foreskins. 4:24-26

lolllllllllll, wow what else can i say?

are you delusional?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:45 AM »
Stella, I have seen the number of species put way higher than that in biology textbooks. I don't mean to be the annoying nit-picky fact-checker on here, but, well... :)
That's OK.  Please do check some facts and post them here w/the link please ....a lot of us are open and here to learn.
R